Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Will completing all 3 planets in Act 2 finish the act or can I still explore after?

You can keep exploring. There's a parade and then after that you're told to go somewhere that'll lead to Act 3, but you can ignore that for as long as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Further Reading posted:

You can keep exploring. There's a parade and then after that you're told to go somewhere that'll lead to Act 3, but you can ignore that for as long as you want.

Thanks, I want to leave some places unexplored so I can build up my colony after.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

Most of the actions were like: "You apply a buff to your friend and they can roll some of their hit dice to instantly regain HP, representing rallying up under your encouragement." (Hit dice, in this edition, were a pool of dice you could roll during short breaks to regain HP.) Or like "you can take a free basic attack."

Arguably "free basic attack" is the vibe Bring It Down is going for. The problem is that vibes aren't mechanical imperatives, and don't preclude interaction with things like Steady Superiority granting you a free attack whenever the game interprets you getting a turn (Bring It Down, Move Move Move, etc.) or Wildfire giving you a free attack for fewer AP than you get from Bring It Down.

Finest Hour is its own beast with the same problems, just magnified because instead of "you get a free attack" it is "you get a full turn with a bunch of buffs because this is an Ultimate ability."

Limiting characters to one bonus turn per round sounds cool, but there are a BUNCH of bonus turn sources. Which ones are limited? If someone procs At All Costs after getting Bring It Down, is At All Costs wasted? Is Move Move Move considered a turn, because you don't get AP but can still use 0 AP abilities? And practically speaking, if I could only give Argenta one Bring It Down, I don't actually care. I only need one of those to get cooking. Once she has Steady Superiority up, it's over because I get at least two full bursts, I've already hit my first Versatility breakpoint (2 from Always Prepared, 1 from Disciplined or whatever it is that gives you Versatility when you get a bonus turn). I have Sororitas Boots from the Cult Shrine on Footfall, so if I managed to kill 5 mooks in that turn (pretty easy with a flamethrower and burst fire weapon) I instantly have enough for Finest Hour the moment the turn bounces back to my Officer...

I'm happy to eat my words in six months, but I don't think this is fixable. Could the rework the whole combat system? Sure. But that's not a fix.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'm pretty sure Bring it Down! actually does apply a debuff so it can't be used on the same person multiple times. The issue is that this doesn't apply to other extra turn sources like the officer ultimate.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm pretty sure Bring it Down! actually does apply a debuff so it can't be used on the same person multiple times. The issue is that this doesn't apply to other extra turn sources like the officer ultimate.

that's voice of command

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Zodium posted:

that's voice of command

Oh hell my mistake. I always use those in sequence.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, you can't have that +16 buff fly around. They make you be careful with that.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I don't mind combat being broken as long as every class/archetype has some (better if it was two options or more) crazy build to dive into.

The main thing I'd love for them to fix would be when looking at talents or abilities while leveling it would show you both the formula and your current actual stats without needing to check my sheet and do the math all the time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

combat would make more sense if it was designed for four rather than six party members.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So act 3 Argenta just blurts out that she killed Theodora? I mean at this point in time I have no doubt that Theodora was a big fat heretic in the biggest fattest ways, but it just seems abrupt and "by the way, I'm the one who actually got you into this entire mess from the beginning" and you don't get too much response to it. Does it come back later with some more story or consequence?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's only after she gets really shaken up by the commissar turning out to be a fraud. You have the option to boot her, and if Idira is in the party she tries to kill Argenta.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LegionAreI posted:

So act 3 Argenta just blurts out that she killed Theodora? I mean at this point in time I have no doubt that Theodora was a big fat heretic in the biggest fattest ways, but it just seems abrupt and "by the way, I'm the one who actually got you into this entire mess from the beginning" and you don't get too much response to it. Does it come back later with some more story or consequence?

It's hard to be mad since she's the one who got you this fancy crown.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AndyElusive posted:

Anygoony know what's the major difference is between an Upgraded ship ability vs one that isn't Upgraded when you put party members into various ship roles?

You know until I returned to my ship and had to put everyone back in roles I had NO IDEA you could upgrade your skills, I swear at no point does the game cover that.
I've done every combat fine without knowing it but it was still like "whoa wait, what?"

LegionAreI posted:

It's SUCH a loving weird bit, feels like they had more planned for it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's pretty funny that the dark eldar don't seem to register a fully kitted out space marine wandering around the spire as a threat

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arglebargle III posted:

It's pretty funny that the dark eldar don't seem to register a fully kitted out space marine wandering around the spire as a threat

When I told the nerds there that the kabal of the weeping buttholes was only going to buddy up with the survivors, the soon-to-be-inquisitorially-torturemurdered companion lamented that I had perhaps learned too much from my stay.
All elves are idiots and I appreciate that the game recognizes this.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Preechr posted:

When I told the nerds there that the kabal of the weeping buttholes was only going to buddy up with the survivors, the soon-to-be-inquisitorially-torturemurdered companion lamented that I had perhaps learned too much from my stay.

The only reason the setting holds together is that everyone is terminally stupid, brainwashed, or both.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lol I’m only 9 hours in and I turned on the game to find my Trader could no longer wield the stub pistol he had because the strength requirement had been increased. I got it in the prologue ffs

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Lol I’m only 9 hours in and I turned on the game to find my Trader could no longer wield the stub pistol he had because the strength requirement had been increased. I got it in the prologue ffs

Toybox to the rescue.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Toybox to the rescue.

I just gave it to Abelard and equipped the sturdy one also from the prologue since I’m making my Trader an officer-sniper with a longlas so it’s no biggie but it’s the kind of baffling balance decision I didn’t anticipate being implemented suddenly when the game has already been out awhile

I’ve got toybox working and have already used it to circumvent the stupid trauma system though so I will definitely continue to cheat when something feels real dumb. I’m having whiplash playing this kinda, there are so many baffling mechanical decisions and strange things everywhere. but it’s also clearly an exemplary CRPG both just generally in terms of writing and specifically for using the setting so well - I’ve never played a 40k game that made the social structure of the Imperium feel so relevant without being unironically fascist or just basically writing around the quotes from Darktide loading screens. It’s bizarre

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Frog Act posted:

but it’s the kind of baffling balance decision I didn’t anticipate being implemented suddenly when the game has already been out awhile

There hasn't been an update this year. I don't know what caused you to not be able to use your gun (my guess is you used toybox to respec and now have lower strength), but it wasn't Owlcat loving you over with a balance pass.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I wanted to go with a theme and stick with solid guns and primitive weapons for my Death World origin Crime Lord, funny enough I went through all of act 2 with the same 2h greatsword and in Act 3 some of the 'trash' items you find to scrape by included heavy greatswords which were basically 2x better then the equipment taken from me.

Ended up taking Drukhari proficiency as most of their melee stuff counts as primitive. Had to drop the solid pistol options because nothing was good enough to be worth keeping. Maybe FoeHammer or one of the 1h shotguns that is an aoe is useful more for forcing people out of cover when they dodge.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

There hasn't been an update this year. I don't know what caused you to not be able to use your gun (my guess is you used toybox to respec and now have lower strength), but it wasn't Owlcat loving you over with a balance pass.

No respec or any changes at all, it was equipped when I quit and I couldn’t wield it when I turned the game back on. I haven’t changed my builds or used toybox for anything but a rest yet, so I dunno what else it could be :shrug:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Taear posted:

You know until I returned to my ship and had to put everyone back in roles I had NO IDEA you could upgrade your skills, I swear at no point does the game cover that.
I've done every combat fine without knowing it but it was still like "whoa wait, what?"

You can what?

I'm at the inevitable 'kidnapped and lost all my equipment' section of the game. It's incredibly tedious having brain problems every ten steps but the writing just seems to have completely broken down. Why are there heavy stubbers laying around, why am I allowed to just wander around, why did the guy kill me in the first place as that was not clear. I had plot brainworms but then had them taken out and given all my gear back for no apparent reason.

Maybe it's all just a dream as that's about the only thing that would make sense now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Loss of a bonus is my guess. For example some party members give everyone else in the party +5 to a stat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Frog Act posted:

No respec or any changes at all, it was equipped when I quit and I couldn’t wield it when I turned the game back on. I haven’t changed my builds or used toybox for anything but a rest yet, so I dunno what else it could be :shrug:

There's a couple of buffs that you get from colony projects and other things that can be flakey in how they are applied. What likely happened is that you had a +5 from a flakey source, then the source wasn't applied on load or went away or some other lolwlcat reason and made you unable to equip the gun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sharkopath posted:

Common complaint but I think the games too liberal with both extra turns and turn skipping. Would be nicer if the effects were rarer and officer was more focused on force multiplication/giving orders and boosting the effectiveness of actions of your whole team instead of hyper boosting the action economy.

A real common boss effect is just getting free turns when attacked which is annoying and feels bad, and I've had a bunch of encounters with enemies that spam stun grenades.

Theoretically the limitation is that you brought an Officer instead of a different character, and that different character may have been an offensive powerhouse in their own right. IE: The Officers themselves are so weak that ALL they can do is transfer their actions to a better character. The problem is mostly that extra turns are too... freeform? You can do anything you want on them, which quickly makes things ridiculous. Especially when combined with alternate sources of AP, MP, and attacks, allowing you to for example attack multiple times on a turn theoretically designated for moving (since the skill only gave MP and no AP or attacks). If they didn't count as "real" turns and shut off everything except the one specific thing you're supposed to do on them (ie: exactly 1 basic attack or whatever) I think that would solve a lot of the issues, imo.

Whether that would be fun is a different question.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2024

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

So its actually not that hard to max out the rep with the merchants if you are agressive enough with turning things into cargo. In particular anything that can be turned into mechanicus creations or xeno artifcats is pretty good because the rep value is high. Consumables too, theres some grenades for example that count for 10% of artifacts and I had 20 of them, thats an easy 1000 rep right there

Anyways I mostly did this because I want to see how ridiculous Argenta gets with the last few items from Ryzza and lmao

wanna see that 32 round rapid fire

the bonus to fire rate is based on BS as well so it only gets bigger as you get stacks of versatility as well lol this is going to be ridiculous

babypolis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 5, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh yeah, on the "one basic attack" thing: Orchestrated Firestorm exists and it's loving hilarious watching everyone mag dump a random target in a 3x3 square.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember to grab that accessory that adds 10% of your Demolitions as damage to area attacks (like bursts).

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

don't think burst attacks count as area attacks. they're their own type, like single shot or deadeye.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There's actually a regular rear end bolter that increases your rate of fire based on the number of enemies affected by Argenta's prayer. The only thing keeping that loving thing down is the 14 round magazine. You can easily max out that ROF and be reloading after every burst.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aramoro posted:

You can what?

I'm at the inevitable 'kidnapped and lost all my equipment' section of the game. It's incredibly tedious having brain problems every ten steps but the writing just seems to have completely broken down. Why are there heavy stubbers laying around, why am I allowed to just wander around, why did the guy kill me in the first place as that was not clear. I had plot brainworms but then had them taken out and given all my gear back for no apparent reason.

Maybe it's all just a dream as that's about the only thing that would make sense now.

That part actually makes sense. The dark Eldar have compulsive backstabbing disorder which means their society is chaotic. There's nobody in charge of keeping the peace in the streets. You start out as just another half-dead piece of alien trash. By the time you're rearmed you're under the protection of the owner of that part of the spire. And by the time you're fully tooled up and ready to rock the haemonculus is running scared and the wych cult is about to assault his lab, which is probably why he gave you back your psykers and space marine. The harlequin presumably picked this guy because he'd try to use you to get even (and has a pet astartes to help you get out) rather than dispose of you. The situation predictably spirals out of control because the dark Eldar can't keep it in their pants for ten seconds.

It would be nice to have more reactivity on the streets with ordinary vat born scum running scared from the human gang and their transhuman berserker.

There really isn't a central authority in the dark city that would bother to respond. The spire's neighbors probably think the whole situation is hilarious.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 5, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zodium posted:

don't think burst attacks count as area attacks. they're their own type, like single shot or deadeye.

They benefit from things that benefit area attacks, such as Concentrated Fire.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Beat it, quality peaks in act 2 and just starts to fall apart as others said. Multiple quests bugged out, weird interactions, etc. It's barely finished and I would be offended if I were not forewarned that this is Owlcat's way of being. Running with my officer PC and Cassia with Argenta full time made most post act 3 encounters not even proceed to my strategist's first turn lol. It was enough to just throw one bring it down from the officer free action at Argenta and it was over. It was mostly a blast, captures 40k very well. Rep system is pretty dumb, I spread it around a bit so never unlocked later tiers but still managed to find good stuff in the world. For Argenta. Music a complete rip off from Mechanicus but I'm happy about it. Bolter sounds satisfying especially some weird extra explosion bolter I had drop in Act V. Recommend the game, but I recommend not caring if quests don't complete in the manner you hoped lol.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Zodium posted:

They currently do for anything that buffs area attacks. It's unclear if it's intended since the versatility stack tooltip specifies that burst attacks are different from area attacks. (I half suspect the bug with burst fire always adding 2 versatility was caused by it counting as a burst attack followed by an area attack)

Also I think both single shot and deadeye count as single shot attacks? I'm not 100% sure.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 5, 2024

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Preechr posted:

Confirmed when you're talking to an Eldar who says something like "Drukhari found our ship and said they'd help us but they enslaved and tortured us instead!" and it's like yeah, no poo poo dude, maybe it was a bad idea to trust the guys who dress like vampire cenobites and love enslaving and torturing people.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think it's that wild when there's like multiple organizations with eldar and dark eldar work together

also if you're in that situation it's not like you have a lot of alternatives

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

An Eldar would 500% prefer to work with a Dark Eldar than a mon-keigh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

An Eldar would 500% prefer to work with a Dark Eldar than a mon-keigh.

Really depends, some think they are redeemable and a lot think of them as no different than chaos cultists. They end up as allies of convenience only a bit more often than say eldar and humans/tau/kin.

Dark Eldar lifestyle is entirely anathema to Craftworld living. Sometimes a craftworlder whos on the outcast path will end up in comorragh and stay there, and sometimes even the opposite happens where a dark eldar will regain their sense of control and morality and find a craftworld to take them in.

Theres also corsairs who are more wild than the craftworlds but not as far gone as dark eldar and it's a neat melting pot of the cultures.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

It would be interesting to try a playthrough without officer or grand strategist, but there's probably almost no room for error.

I haven't gotten through act 4 yet but maybe you mean on a harder difficulty that normal or whatever? I'm not doing the thing where I beat every encounter on turn 1, but I do use my officer sometimes. I usually do cassia's navigator powers and use my main character officer's psyker powers.