Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sort of in agreement with that. When I think oil starvation I think really wiped lobes and bearings.

It want cutting out due to an oil pressure safety switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I changed my oil recently on the MT03. Manual says it takes a 2.1L including the oil filter. I put in ~1.9L (changed filter of course) and the sight glass has it coming up to almost the top oil line. I tried the stand several different spots to make sure i wasn't on tilted ground. Going with the measurement you can actually see in the sight glass is the way to go right? Instead of trusting that Mobil 1 filled the quarts exactly - although weird for them to overfill. I guess the other factor could be the K&N filters are slightly smaller than the Yamaha ones?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Run it for a bit to get the oil to circulate, let it sit, and see if the level dropped. Perhaps the filter still contains some air etc.

I would always go by sight glass/dip stick rather than putting a fixed amount. But do verify that the level doesn't drop too much

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 3, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I changed my oil recently on the MT03. Manual says it takes a 2.1L including the oil filter. I put in ~1.9L (changed filter of course) and the sight glass has it coming up to almost the top oil line. I tried the stand several different spots to make sure i wasn't on tilted ground. Going with the measurement you can actually see in the sight glass is the way to go right? Instead of trusting that Mobil 1 filled the quarts exactly - although weird for them to overfill. I guess the other factor could be the K&N filters are slightly smaller than the Yamaha ones?

If you've run the bike already and it still looks high, take it for a ride and let it sit for a few minutes then see what happens

The paper numbers are often wrong, only trust your fists sight glass

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah I took it out for an hour ride after the oil change and it is still looking good on the sight glass so I’ll just stop overthinking it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I find it hard to believe the engine was outright stopping with the scuffing being that minor, you'd expect the metal to look friction welded. It also would drop out sporadically like it was, it would just stop.

Yeah you said that before, but your words don't jive at all with the two previous experiences I have with seizing cams.

That being said, the worst case I've seen was on my new 2016 250 xcf (KTM replaced it) and those cams were SCORCHED and the journals totally destroyed. In that case it ran until constant heavy load, then acted like the spark plug wire was pulled. Would run again
after cooling for a minute. This is def weirder with the stumble.

Guess we'll see, but the damage there is clear enough. I cleaned everything out again but also the oil pump, which did have some crap in it.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Is there a word for that sensation of the handlebars no longer being straight even when you're riding in a straight line? Every once in a while my brain just decides the bars are turned when they definitely aren't. Usually takes a few glances down at my hands to reset the feeling.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced that. but then I seldom go straight for more than a quarter mile without throwing in some unnecessary steering inputs.

Hypertrophic arm?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I get that feeling on my KX all the time. It's especially strong after a decent crash.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scam Likely posted:

Is there a word for that sensation of the handlebars no longer being straight even when you're riding in a straight line? Every once in a while my brain just decides the bars are turned when they definitely aren't. Usually takes a few glances down at my hands to reset the feeling.

In aviation, a similar sensation/illusion that you can get after flying in instrument conditions for a while is called "the leans."

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Scam Likely posted:

Yes, all the time. So much so that I even feel it on exercise bikes. When I realized this, I stopped thinking everything I rode was out of alignment and started thinking that maybe one of my arms is longer than the other.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I think the stator on my VStrom is no longer working correctly. I got a low voltage warning on my commute home and the bike had a hard time starting once I got home.
Running voltage at the terminals is 11.65 V which is bad. I'm charging the battery right now as I am guessing it's probably fine.
The stator seems to be a common trouble spot for 1st gen Vees.
I'll be pulling the stator later today to inspect.

The OEM unit is $352.
There's various aftermarket options, but only two stand out: Electrosport and RPM Stator.
Reviews are mixed with bad reviews seemingly peaking years ago, but I'm not sure.
In my years working on Jetskis, I found aftermarket electronics to be utter garbage* and that the expensive OEM electronics were a better deal.

*Exception is MSD which is hit and miss and even more astronomically expensive than Japanese OEM electronics.

Edited for picture. Discolored/blackened windings and a dark heat discoloration spot on the stator plate itself.

Double-edit: I bought an Electrosport stator and a new cover gasket.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 4, 2024

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Does anyone have experience with early aughts fjr1300s? Looking at an 01 this weekend, would appreciate any buying advice

e: after doing some research, they didn't make it to the states til 02, but the US 02 and au/jpy 01 are essentially identical

DPM fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 5, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

I changed my oil recently on the MT03. Manual says it takes a 2.1L including the oil filter. I put in ~1.9L (changed filter of course) and the sight glass has it coming up to almost the top oil line.

2.1L is the factory fill. You’ll never get that last 200-ish mL out without disassembling the engine. Trust the sight glass / dipstick and go ride it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm mulling over whether to replace the windscreen on one of my bikes or whether I go to the trouble of trying one of those polycarb/headlight/etc refinishing kits. Anyone know whether refinishing a plastic windscreen would last at all, or would I just be looking at a dull mess in a few months again because I effectively sanded off some coating?

The windscreen on this bike is original from 1994 I think and I didn't realize just how nasty and yellow it had become until I winterized the bikes together side by side. Now it's going to bother me until I do something about it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

A good polishing can do wonders but it won’t last. I just spend an hour with a thing of Turtle Wax polishing compound a rag bout once a season.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected to hear. I don't think I have much to lose at this point anyway so I'll give it a shot.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

shacked up with Brenda posted:

VitalMX seems to be right - it was an oil starvation problem.

Problem now is I have no root cause - I've got it stripped down to the cases and blew out the oil passages again. I dissasembled the oil pump (I didn't do that on rebuild) but it looks mint. Blew out all those passages too. Hmm.

Forgot to post I found the root cause, a big ol booger, probably a missing oil pump o-ring, found it's way into the cam bridge oil jet. It was very clogged.

Got it all blown out now and clean. Waiting for a few seals and trying to decide whether to polish the journal or buy new ones. It was a free exploded bike so I might just run it, but I'll see how eBay is going.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Any tricks for insulating clutch and brake levers in the cold weather? With heated grips and winter gloves everything is toasty except for the points of contact with the levers.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Scam Likely posted:

Any tricks for insulating clutch and brake levers in the cold weather? With heated grips and winter gloves everything is toasty except for the points of contact with the levers.

Those big kitten things that cover the entire bar, probably.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
bar muffs / hippo hands / moose mitts - they look dumb as hell but they work

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

This might be a silly question for this forum, but has anyone used a PTO stump grinder? I want one to make my track a bit safer. I'm obviously talking to farm bros but thought I'd check the moto forums too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can I simply apply a rust converter to surface rust on a steel frame, let it dry/cure/whatever, then surface coat with some gloss black aerosol, or is that just liable to make things worse? Trying to figure out what my strategy should be to spot-treat a few surface rust spots. I'd love to not grind back to metal since I was a dummy and didn't work on some tight areas while the engine was out of the bike, but here we are.

Second, much less relevant question -- does anyone know of any sort of gadget you can put in-line between a mechanical speedo and a mechanical speedo cable to get electric pulses indicative of speed? Ideally just something you screw into the speedo and then attach the cable to that as a take-off. So far I've seen some in-line readers for cars but I think the speedo cable on those is different diameter.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 17, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Does the bike have an ABS ring? If so you can read the square wave it puts out and drive a speedo from it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ulf posted:

Does the bike have an ABS ring? If so you can read the square wave it puts out and drive a speedo from it.

I could be wrong but I don't think there's much overlap between bikes with mechanical speedos and ABS.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl posted:

I could be wrong but I don't think there's much overlap between bikes with mechanical speedos and ABS.

It would be very unusual yeah

SKJ it would be helpful to know why you want to do this, there are a couple of things that come to mind

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is a 94 R1100RS so has both mechanical speedo and some approximation of early 90s ABS. Purely want to see if I can pull data out since I've been messing around with embedded programming and just wanted to see if I could doodle up my own lovely version of the awesome LCD speedo from years past. It's entirely a passing fancy and not at all part of my winter deep clean project. I can probably do it with a hall effect sensor and pickup or something, but tbh I don't really want to start gluing stuff to my wheel so I'm happy to leave well enough alone as I'll probably forget about this in a week anyway once the shed is warm enough to venture back into so I can keep mucking with the real work.

I'll see if the ABS signals are easy to take-off though, that's an option I didn't consider, I think.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 17, 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

This is a 94 R1100RS so has both mechanical speedo and some approximation of early 90s ABS.

God speed goon sir o7

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Scam Likely posted:

Wrap them in self-vulcanising rubber tape. Easy to peel off later on.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Hm, would plastidip work? Not the best insulation but it's much better than a naked metal handle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

plastidip would probably work but the tape is a better idea imo. quicker and easier and probably even more effective.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It came from reddit

quote:

Hi, motorcyclist noob here. Can someone tell me if my back tire is normal or is something wrong with it?

The tire has this sharp bell shape to it. Riding feels all good it's just looks scary and have never seen this before.

How in the world does this happen?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t know anything, but seems like the tread has become detached from the carcass or the carcass from the sidewall. Either way riding on that is very dumb.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's rim way too narrow, tire way too wide, but they got it to mount, and that's what happens when the sidewall needs to lean so far in to reach the rim.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah that tire is just like 30mm too narrow for the rim.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Did you buy that bike like that? It looks like it's not worn too much, but it most definitely is not the right tire size for the rim. Don't ride it.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

LimaBiker posted:

Did you buy that bike like that? It looks like it's not worn too much, but it most definitely is not the right tire size for the rim. Don't ride it.

Gotta go to Reddit to find the OP.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Here's the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/19b7pr2/hi_motorcyclist_noob_here_can_someone_tell_me_if/

OP did admit it was a larger than factory size but in the pics it looks like a 150, factory is 140, hardly a big enough difference to cause that much stretch. Hell my Duke 390 came with a 150 from the factory on the same size rim.

Commenters suspect it was ridden drat near flat, which OP doesn't really contest, so that was probably the larger factor here. Still, that's some bizarre wear.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I initially thought it was tire too small but the bike looks like an R3 with 150 section so I don’t think that’s it. Anyway I don’t think that is “bizarre wear” but is actual damage to the tire’s structure. Maybe it’s dirt but it looks like you can see actual plies all the way at the edge, on top of the sidewall. Be curious to see what the inside looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ulf posted:

Hmm, maddeningly none of the wiring diagrams I have reference the ABS sensors so I'm not sure if these are just straight through pulses I can tap or if there's some more voodoo happening under the hood. I'll put a scope on the bare connector this weekend though, thanks again for the suggestion!