Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I was going to keep the Index along my with Q2 and Q3, but after recently trying to go out of my way to use the Index several times and just not being able to tolerate it compared to the Q3, I decided to sell it.

I'm not going back to wired, and I don't have any faith deckard or whatever will come out this year so I won't bother keeping the lighthouses. It's not like I'm a streamer or anything that needs body or perfect accuracy in tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

Hmm. I’ve always been wary of exercising that connection too much.

I've had mine like, 3 years + and my cable still works just fine. I disconnect it after every single session. Just look into the hole before you shove your plug into it and make sure there isn't hair/dirt in it and itll be fine.

Bad Munki posted:

E-waste is a problem, especially in this house, as I look back at the stacks of desktops and laptops and tablets and phones.

Have the same problem so I get it. We just have to keep at least 1 of each headset since we're working on games and poo poo for testing but I've been slimming mine down too.

Its so hard to not packrat this poo poo. After watching prices of things like ataris and poo poo go through the roof I'm even more of a packrat.

Question Time posted:

I was going to keep the Index along my with Q2 and Q3, but after recently trying to go out of my way to use the Index several times and just not being able to tolerate it compared to the Q3, I decided to sell it.

I'm not going back to wired, and I don't have any faith deckard or whatever will come out this year so I won't bother keeping the lighthouses. It's not like I'm a streamer or anything that needs body or perfect accuracy in tracking.

Even as a "content creator" there isn't a real solid reason to stick with an index or something unless you're doing FBT avatar poo poo and even then you can combine playspaces and do all that bullshit and if you're a creator thats just part of the gig anyways.

Normal rear end people the quest is the way to be. 10000%.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bad Munki posted:

But also if I get another Q2, it’s easier to justify as “simplifying” both to myself and my wife if I ditch the Index.

That’s not some boomer “wives, am I right??” poo poo, it’s just that if we had five headsets for four people, she’d be like :what: and she’d be right. E-waste is a problem, especially in this house, as I look back at the stacks of desktops and laptops and tablets and phones.

gently caress it ill wife guy post too. ive finally budgeted for a second headset and my wife will absolutely not take my hand me down quest 2 lol so if we're doing something together she'll get the 3

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

But also if I get another Q2, it’s easier to justify as “simplifying” both to myself and my wife if I ditch the Index.

That’s not some boomer “wives, am I right??” poo poo, it’s just that if we had five headsets for four people, she’d be like :what: and she’d be right. E-waste is a problem, especially in this house, as I look back at the stacks of desktops and laptops and tablets and phones.

How much are used indexes going for? I've been tempted to pick up a used one.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

c355n4 posted:

Quick check on eBay, around a $600 average for a full Index kit (box+controllers+lighthouses+headset) but I see it swinging $100 in either direction depending on auction. I managed to get like $700 last year when I got rid of mine, because as people said it became abundantly clear that wired just sucked and I'm so much happier with a Quest now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So after a field-test with my new Powerbank and the Cygnett 20k powerbank's definitely a recommendation for anyone looking for a larger-capacity wireless battery pack. Ran it for two hours, used about 15-20% of its charge. I'm also powering a set of VR Ears off the thing (they have their own battery, because it needs a decent bit of juice to drive), so you could probably squeeze close to 6 hours outta one of these for just a Quest or Vive/Pro on its own.

Didn't even get warm the entire time either (the Vive official one will get concerningly-warm after a while).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just completed Stray using the UEVR mod from start to finish. I've owned it since it came out but my SO bought it to play on the deck, I hadn't played it at all.

What a great time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

c355n4 posted:

Check your local craigslist, i bet a lot of people upgraded for christmas and will be dumping the old one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Just look into the hole before you shove your plug into it and make sure there isn't hair/dirt in it and itll be fine.

Pretty good general life advice NGL

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Setting up DQ11 in UEVR was a little trickier but it works fine. I found out some things like the Oculus OpenXR runtime needs to be the one you're using to use the dpad emulation (it has you press the side part of your controller that isn't really a button), and virtual desktop kept switching it on me. Also other bugs like a crash happen if you're not using that for OpenXR, like you get one game then you close it, switch to another, crashes.

Then the first person mod for DQ11 defaults to a "just look around, can't move" mode, the readme doesn't mention this.

Cutscene camera is inverted in that game, that's not great but also no big deal.

Also the stereo seems off, but not in any big way. UEVR has alternate modes though, so I feel like it'll be fixable. And that's what I think is why this seems so good, it's like praydog thought of everything and got a bunch of options to maximize compatibility before releasing it. Like with this game, headset based movement worked best, Trials of Mana hand based movement (in both cases it wasn't because that's just a better way to move for them but because of the way the UI attaches to it) Both this and Trials of Mana are really impressive, completely playable, and I'm gonna get through both this way.

I had my friend who doesnt really play VR try it out, his reaction was "I guess because I don't know what a VR game should be like, to me, this seems flawless"

I tried Octopath Traveler 2 too. It needs some configuration, it isn't really playable out of the box, but there's already a config file for it that I need to try.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yesterday I learned that I suck at Walkabout Mini Golf. But also it's incredibly fun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I tried it I realized I'm as good at walkabout as I am at real minigolf.

Which is not very good at all.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I thought I was ok at Walkabout until I played quick match multiplayer. At least the people I get matched against are really nice about my struggles while they make their fourth hole-in-one

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thankfully one of the best parts of walkabout is just flying around finding hidden balls while enjoying the nice views, ideally while shooting the poo poo with a buddy.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

speaking of walkabout is meow wolf a thing everyone just knows about because id never heard of it before

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

speaking of walkabout is meow wolf a thing everyone just knows about because id never heard of it before

I'd heard of Omega Mart but didn't know they had other installations around the country, including one not too far from me, so neat

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Might be getting back into VR due to once again having enough space to flail around in. Had an Index and adored it but the OP looks pretty clear about "just get a Quest 3 and accessorize" so it should be fun playing VR without needing to adjust a giant wire every few minutes.

Are there any must-check-out games that came out in 2022/2023 or is it the mostly the same games/apps in a big circle?

What's the best site to get prescription VR lenses from? Realoptik?

edit; Actually third question too: I loved the Index controllers for their squeezy-individual-finger stuff and the Quest ones look bad in comparison, would it be possible to use those with the Quest 3 in a simply way, or would I also need to re-purchase Index base stations to make them work with the Quest?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 4, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Walkabout improved my IRL mini golf game, I’m pretty sure.

Meow Wolf was cool for me, had been to OmegaMart (Vegas) a couple times, but a month or so prior we had also just visited Convergence Station (Denver) as well, a section of which this course was entirely based on. Fun!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

absolutely flabbergasted there isnt a meow wolf installation in portland, OR

started cracking open hammer to make a map for alyx. my first attempt was butt ugly, glitchy, barely functional, and after watching some tutorials later completely wrong but by god i made something in vr

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Instead of a map for Alyx, you can also just make a fully custom Steam VR home, which is fun and something you’ll use routinely. Plus, your friends can join you and check it out.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
A friend of mine says that new EA WRC game works great with the UEVR.

quote:

I found a few settings that really make it pretty good though. Initially the menus were rendered waaay too close, so like I was trying to navigate a menu projected on a theatre screen while I was 3 feet away. Also on certain cars the center point left me behind the driver model and a bit low, so that I was always looking at a headless neck.
But you can adjust the menu render distance and also set a button to set a new "default standing position"

He also says the physics seem to be much better and more dynamic than Dirt Rally 2.0. Closer to that older Richard Burns Rally game apparently.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Al! posted:

Recently learned about it last summer when some friends needed me to watch their cats because they were going to Meow Wolf in Denver. Naturally my next question was wtf is a meow wolf and they spent about 30s attempting to explain, got flustered for words and told me to just google it lol

Looks rad af though, hope I make to to visit one of the rl ones before it gets ruined by people knowing it exists or goes out of business because people don't know it exists

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

seems like some chuck e cheeze for millenials poo poo [laudatory]

thanks for the suggestion earlier to look into building my own home in Hammer. just gotta think of a better idea than building the whole thing out of headcrabs

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Pierson posted:

or would I also need to re-purchase Index base stations to make them work with the Quest?

Yeah you need the controllers. Then a dongle to connect them to the PC for each controller, then the lighthouses.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Al! posted:

just gotta think of a better idea than building the whole thing out of headcrabs

Uhhh, what could possibly be better than perfect

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE10VdZERpQ

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Pierson posted:

edit; Actually third question too: I loved the Index controllers for their squeezy-individual-finger stuff and the Quest ones look bad in comparison, would it be possible to use those with the Quest 3 in a simply way, or would I also need to re-purchase Index base stations to make them work with the Quest?

You can combine them but only for PCVR and it can be finicky, and you do need the lighthouses/base stations. I haven't set it up myself yet but ideally you have another tracker you can just mount on your head or something, and a dongle for each controller and the tracker, and the space calibrator so it can make the two tracking systems overlap appropriately. The extra head tracker is just for a continuous calibration mode to try to avoid drift ever happening between the two playspaces, it might not be necessary for your setup.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

parasyte posted:

You can combine them but only for PCVR and it can be finicky, and you do need the lighthouses/base stations. I haven't set it up myself yet but ideally you have another tracker you can just mount on your head or something, and a dongle for each controller and the tracker, and the space calibrator so it can make the two tracking systems overlap appropriately. The extra head tracker is just for a continuous calibration mode to try to avoid drift ever happening between the two playspaces, it might not be necessary for your setup.

Head tracker isn't needed if you're doing the space sync bullshit.

It does help with the drift, but you can go back in and hit the calibrate button pretty much whenever so its not a Huuuuuuge deal.

if you have one laying around, sure, a 4th tracker for that isn't the worst idea but again, the drift even a while back wasn't bad enough to bother. I'd just hit the button or whatever every hour or so.

Hell there might be a new tool, its been a little while since I hosed with trackers on my stand alones.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Just completed the first mission of Aliens Fireteam Elite in UEVR using the 6DOF profile and my god what a blast. This game would be so incredible with a fully optimized VR version

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Just starting to play around with UEVR a bit, Psychonauts 2 looks amazing. There's just a huge amount to look at, I'm noticing lots of little stuff I didn't catch the first time. Might try Stray next, I feel like stuff with lots of detail is the way to go here

I am noticing a small issue where shadows kind of look like they're smudged up on the lenses, has anybody run into anything like that?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

AccountSupervisor posted:

Just completed the first mission of Aliens Fireteam Elite in UEVR using the 6DOF profile and my god what a blast. This game would be so incredible with a fully optimized VR version

That sounds amazing. I haven't looked into UEVR yet (it's on my todo list) -- are you streaming it wirelessly over steam link, virtual desktop, etc?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

AccountSupervisor posted:

It blows my mind this was not an FPS to begin with. Complete waste.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Been hanging out in the flat to vr discord and I'm just blown away at how many great VR conversions existed even before the UEVR injector. PCVR is in a pretty great place.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Al! posted:

Yes I went to the Denver one and it was a great time. They did an incredible job with environmental story telling. I almost bought walkabout for the tie in course but I already overdid it with VR games and I need to reign it in.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I've gone for maximum dweeb lately with my Quest 3 and started watching youtube as I'm doing my dishes and laundry and such and I'd actually kind of recommend it (if you are alone)? With the hand tracking you can switch videos and such even with dirty hands, it's actually a nice comfort step up over precariously balancing a phone over my kitchen sink and getting its screen smeared in dishwashing liquid.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Koramei posted:

I've gone for maximum dweeb lately with my Quest 3 and started watching youtube as I'm doing my dishes and laundry and such and I'd actually kind of recommend it (if you are alone)? With the hand tracking you can switch videos and such even with dirty hands, it's actually a nice comfort step up over precariously balancing a phone over my kitchen sink and getting its screen smeared in dishwashing liquid.

I guess I don't get it. Like, if I'm doing a task, 90% of my field of vision is usually focused on that task, so I feel at that point it would be no different than having my laptop nearby and playing the video.

I get it though, I prepped veggies for Thanksgiving using passthrough (no knives)

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Al! posted:

I had never heard of it despite going to Vegas 2-3 times a year for mostly the last decade.

Also the Walkabout Meow Wolf course is amazingly cool. Very fun course with lots of interesting poo poo to look at.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's on the OTHER side of the 15, in an area that otherwise has no reasons to go to.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The Eyes Have It posted:

That sounds amazing. I haven't looked into UEVR yet (it's on my todo list) -- are you streaming it wirelessly over steam link, virtual desktop, etc?

Streaming via Virtual Desktop!

Pretty decent performance as well with most settings tuned down or off. It runs butter in corridors but starts to drop frames whenever you get into more open areas and mobs increase(with a 4090 and a 10900k)

Its just sort of stunning to hit a button and watch a flat game magically transform into VR so seamlessly. Vorpx has always been neat and Ive used it a ton, but UEVR is just leagues better.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well I definitely am trying that!