Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631112/2014-2019-ford-fiesta-st-1-6l-ecoboost-tuner

Talk me into and/or out of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lmao, I was wondering if that was you, but I forgot your avatar.

e: I saw you on the Fiesta ST forums. Sorry, just put it together

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 9, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Don’t buy one of those, just get a Cobb accessport. It’s what all the ST tuners use and will expect

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

is there a major advantage over the cobb other than a cool touchscreen?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Don’t buy one of those, just get a Cobb accessport. It’s what all the ST tuners use and will expect

I have an accessport and it's a big improvement over stock, but this one will get me another 40HP and 70 foot pounds of torque. Planning to brace the suspension first.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dr. Lunchables posted:

that was my first thought as well most tuner shops are like cool send a data log from a cobb and they get your stuff all tidy. never heard of that brand before and i have like 3 custom tunes on the fistyboi

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wroughtirony posted:

I have an accessport and it's a big improvement over stock, but this one will get me another 40HP and 70 foot pounds of torque. Planning to brace the suspension first.

i sincerely hope you have upgraded intake, intercooler and prob exhaust for 40hp. software tune alone aint gonna do that long term and a cobb will go as hard as your mods allow.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wroughtirony posted:

I’d say just get a dizzy tune instead of spending three times that amount to get the same numbers. I’m about 20 est HP and 50 ft lb over stock with a Cobb OTS tune running 93

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i sincerely hope you have upgraded intake, intercooler and prob exhaust for 40hp. software tune alone aint gonna do that long term and a cobb will go as hard as your mods allow.

This is the way. At least intake and intercooler. Livernois isn’t offering anything except a custom tune but is also handcuffing you to their expensive hardware platform

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Terrible Robot is on top of the mods needed before I use this tuner. Don't worry- we'll make sure not to explode anything! :D Looking more for specific feedback on this particular tuner vs. the accessport.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

This is the way. At least intake and intercooler. Livernois isn’t offering anything except a custom tune but is also handcuffing you to their expensive hardware platform

Thanks, that is something I'm definitely taking into consideration. I got a custom tune from COBB when I bought the accessport, but even they said it was indistinguishable from their OTS tune.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in that case "Purchase of this tuner includes 2 performances tune for a stock, unmodified vehicle. Extra tunes can be purchased under the optional add-ons drop down." language irks me, but hey if thats your jam.

im with the doc, do your mods and just have a tuner tune your stuff even a few dyno runs with your existing gear if you dont want a internet tune.

unless you are upgrading like legit the fuel system and the turbo itself getting over 250 or the 300 range i would start worrying about longevity. if price is no object go nuts but in that case just rebuild the engine and put a big ol turbo on the boi even with a cobb

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

in that case "Purchase of this tuner includes 2 performances tune for a stock, unmodified vehicle. Extra tunes can be purchased under the optional add-ons drop down." language irks me, but hey if thats your jam.

im with the doc, do your mods and just have a tuner tune your stuff even a few dyno runs with your existing gear if you dont want a internet tune.

unless you are upgrading like legit the fuel system and the turbo itself getting over 250 or the 300 range i would start worrying about longevity. if price is no object go nuts but in that case just rebuild the engine and put a big ol turbo on the boi even with a cobb

Thanks for the input. I wish I had an unlimited budget! I'm trying to do mods incrementally and get the most fun per dollar possible. I just got it inspected in Maryland, so inspections/emissions are no object as long as I don't register it in another state.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the better question is what are you going for?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

the better question is what are you going for?

I'm no gearhead, just a very enthusiastic and spirited driver. I value handling and overall zippiness. Boost is one of my four favorite drugs. I want to grin and giggle when I hammer on the accelerator on straightaways, and I thoroughly enjoy a twisty country road. No interest in competing and taking it to the track seems intimidating. I might do a HPE sometime if I can afford it. It also makes me sad that the car is so quiet, so exhaust mods are on the list. No plans to sell this car, ever.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol like how zippy?

you can do like 400+ if you want that level rocketship but id be scared.

as long as you get get brakes and and suspension to handle stuff. but keep in mind its a slow fast car. you want to fully kit it out you can go bonkers but was just curious.

e: a link for funsies

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/Fiesta

Dizzy and stratified also make some solid rear end tunes

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2023

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm no gearhead, just a very enthusiastic and spirited driver. I value handling and overall zippiness. Boost is one of my four favorite drugs. I want to grin and giggle when I hammer on the accelerator on straightaways, and I thoroughly enjoy a twisty country road. No interest in competing and taking it to the track seems intimidating. I might do a HPE sometime if I can afford it. It also makes me sad that the car is so quiet, so exhaust mods are on the list. No plans to sell this car, ever.

Sounds like you should try your local autocross club. In Philly it's like 50 bucks a session.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

300 is both the limit for reliability before the block starts to show its inherent weakness in design and also the point where a FWD car starts to stop being driveable. There’s a reason no manufacturer goes much higher than a nominal 300 hp on a FWD only setup: torque steer becomes something you can’t computer away.

The 1.6L is really setup for big boosts in torque though, and that’s what you actually feel while you’re driving. Get a Dizzy tune along with an intercooler and be satisfied, because that’s about the max end of fun and reliability you’re gonna get out of a FiST. If you need more, you need a different car. Sacrificing driveability and cornering is absolutely not worth it given how much better the Fiesta is in corners than basically anything except a Miata

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

God loving damnit. I tempted fate. The universe saw me planning fun mods and sent a loving rock into my windshield on the highway last night. I thought I got off with just a chip, but I woke up to a huge crack.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wroughtirony posted:

God loving damnit. I tempted fate. The universe saw me planning fun mods and sent a loving rock into my windshield on the highway last night. I thought I got off with just a chip, but I woke up to a huge crack.

doesnt your insurance cover this

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Deviant posted:

doesnt your insurance cover this

Thought it would come in under my deductible, but it turns out it is mostly covered. Now I just have to jump through all the hoops to get it done by a reputable local guy instead of whatever Safelite idiots they try and force me to use.

e: nope. $500 deductible even for glass claims. gently caress.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 10, 2023

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that is friggin wild. I hadnt looked into it but before when i lived in FL, all glass is just covered with no deductable guess i better look up coverage before my poo poo gets broke

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Finally got Bilstein B6s all around in the FoST- feels firm initially but this thing isn't supposed to be a LaZBoy on wheels anyway so I'm fine with it. drat better than driving around with blown shocks though. Sure I won't notice in a week- have heard new shocks can break in a little bit but that may be just people getting used to how they feel.

Meanwhile the classic FoST snappy turnin is back and it isn't slopping all over the place anymore!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

that is friggin wild. I hadnt looked into it but before when i lived in FL, all glass is just covered with no deductable guess i better look up coverage before my poo poo gets broke

This generally varies state by state

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Sorry for posting so much, but Terrible Robot put in new shifter bushings and a short throw shifter today and oh my loving god this is how this car should have come from the factory.

The short throw isn't extreme, but it eliminates the panicky feeling of fumbling around to find the gear you want, especially from neutral or while skipping a gear. (the new bushings help that too, obvs.) The gates feel very clear but still soft and the shifter travels neatly and cleanly. As a smaller person, I appreciate not having to wave my right arm around as much. I was expecting a bit of an adjustment period to the new pattern but it was just completely intuitive.

https://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-transmission-adapter/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wroughtirony posted:

Sorry for posting so much, but Terrible Robot put in new shifter bushings and a short throw shifter today and oh my loving god this is how this car should have come from the factory.

The short throw isn't extreme, but it eliminates the panicky feeling of fumbling around to find the gear you want, especially from neutral or while skipping a gear. (the new bushings help that too, obvs.) The gates feel very clear but still soft and the shifter travels neatly and cleanly. As a smaller person, I appreciate not having to wave my right arm around as much. I was expecting a bit of an adjustment period to the new pattern but it was just completely intuitive.

https://www.boombaracing.com/fiesta-st-transmission-adapter/

See ive never felt that in my FiST. I won’t say I’ve never mis-shifted, but I always know where it’s at. The PO only had the car for the original 1300 miles, and while it’s unlikely, they could have done a short throw upgrade, but I doubt it.

That said I’m still only at 14.5k miles, so all those bushings are crisp. I’d imagine it can get loose after 60 to 100

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Asked for some rallyarmor mud flaps for the ST for Christmas from the in-laws. Installed them this afternoon when we got home, gonna have to take it out tomorrow in the rain.

They jumped to the top of my list a couple of months ago when I was driving around a state forest and the gps sent me down a gravel road.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I noticed my tsx wagon vibrates in the chassis (i feel it in the steering wheel, the seat, and my phone vibrates in in the air vent mount) when I go over 85, even on brand new roads.

What are the prime culprits here? Wheel balancing? Motor mounts?

it has 108k miles, and the tires only have about 8k miles, bfg comp force a/2. it also has newish tein coilovers.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
@head bee guy, have you rotated the tires in the 8k?

I've had issues with vibrating above X on a couple of cars that was fixed by fresh tires and an alignment.

At your milage, it could be a tie rod or bushing somewhere. I would start by rotating the tires and seeing if the vibrations feels the same.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Lots of tyre places are really bad at balancing wheels properly so that's where I'd start.

On an unrelated note seeing this thread at the top of the forum really makes me miss my first gen Mazda3 MPS - pity it cost a fortune to run :/

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Hi thread, meet Snowflake:

Snowflake is a 2021 Mini John Cooper Works GP, chassis # 2396.

OK cool that's a real mouthful, but what does that mean?

The short version is that it's a special edition Mini track car which just so happens to be street legal. Mini produced a GP model for every generation of 'new' Mini since BMW bought the marque. This one is a 3rd generation Mini which oddly is the first generation powered by a BMW motor!

Specs:
Seats: 2

Horsepower: 306 HP @ 5000 rpm (225 KW)
Torque: 331 Lb-Ft @ 1750 rpm (450 Nm)
Curb weight: 2855 Lbs (1298 Kg)

Performance:
Top speed: 165 mph (266 km/h)
0-60 mph / 0-100 kph time: 5.2 s

Drive type: FWD
Transmission: 8-speed auto

OK now that we have the boring numbers out of the way, let's talk about how this whole deal happened because that's the real story here. Refill your coffee, grab a cookie, and strap in.

It was a dark and stormy night...

I was eating dinner with some friends and mentioned that I was looking at buying a new daily and that I wanted something that could also be fun for autocross or HPDE. My friend gets this weird grin on his face, slides his phone over my way, and says, "How about this?"

Oh.

Oh my.

:vince:

A brief swoon ensued.

When I recovered my wits the conversation went something like this:

Me :v: "Who and how do you know them?"
Friend :smuggo: "He's a friend of my brother's, <brother> is visiting him at the moment."
:v: "And how much does he want for it?"
:smuggo: "<ridiculously under market price>."
:v: "What, why?"
:smuggo: "<seller> is getting divorced, it's his wife's car."

There was more to it, but tl:dr is I asked my friend to let the seller know that I was very interested, but needed 24 hours to run this harebrained scheme past my spouse because I didn't want to be following the seller in filing divorce papers for buying the car! Shockingly my spouse agreed and I reached out to the seller, verified the price and made arrangements to travel to purchase the car.

The deal came with two conditions: one, should I ever decide to sell the car he gets first dibs; two, when I take the Mini to the Dragon I have to let him know so he can meet me there in this:

After some minor schedule rearrangements I flew out to Dallas, TX bright and early on the 2nd of November where the seller met me at the airport in the Mini. (Side note: My wife really pushed to have me fly out, buy the car, and have it shipped home but that's not very AI now is it?) After putting away a 2nd breakfast we did the paperwork, ran around and collected various bits that belonged to the car, packed it to the gills and prepared to embark on a 1500 mile drive home.

Nothing to see here, just some wheels and stuff

Factory midpipe nestled under the luggage bar

Next stop, Memphis, TN!

To be continued...

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

This is exactly why I still check back on this thread even though I no longer have a hot hatch. I love it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hot drat! Have a fun trip back!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:hellyeah:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Lots of tyre places are really bad at balancing wheels properly so that's where I'd start.

On an unrelated note seeing this thread at the top of the forum really makes me miss my first gen Mazda3 MPS - pity it cost a fortune to run :/

probably should have mentioned i drove threw wet concrete a while back and didn’t get all of it off the inside of the rims.

guess i’ll just have to buy new rims :quagmire:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A hot hatch that can go faster than my V8 genesis did is bonkers. As is the aero on that thing.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

devmd01 posted:

A hot hatch that can go faster than my V8 genesis did is bonkers. As is the aero on that thing.

I just got tired of losing to Fiesta STs in my R56 and chose the nuclear option. (We should hang out.)

And yeah, the #1 question I've gotten from people in parking lots is, "What is up with that wing?" And then they don't believe me when I say it's factory. It's not quite as boy racer as say a Civic Type R but it's got a lot of personality.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 28, 2023

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

If you're around the Annapolis area, bring it to the City Docks Cars & Coffee down on Ego Alley on Sunday mornings (weather permitting). I'd love to check it out in person, it looks nasty.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Hypothetical question, hopefully this is the right place. Could the new Civic Type R work as a dog hauler? I have an 80lb dog and I'm curious if you can (humanely) have a dog in the rear hatch area.

Wagon options are limited these days and if you want a manual it's even more limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hypothetical question, hopefully this is the right place. Could the new Civic Type R work as a dog hauler? I have an 80lb dog and I'm curious if you can (humanely) have a dog in the rear hatch area.

Wagon options are limited these days and if you want a manual it's even more limited.

My friends haul their 70-80 pound dog in the back of their Civic hatch all the time.