Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

to be fair, it's the highest tier plan my company offers and includes my family

And we use the poo poo out of it, we hit our family deductible in Feb last year and the max out of pocket by august.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I was doing $180/week for my health insurance when I was doing a contract to hire job via a middleman company.

It was 100% just a "gently caress you for making it a law that we have to provide healthcare" type plan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

I pay something like $700/month for healthcare

Someone always has it worse, eh?

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Blurb3947 posted:

Not to mention probably a pretty high deductible, yeah? American healthcare is such a scam and I'm still surprised people haven't revolted because of it. The cost of groceries seems to be of higher concern to them lol

US healthcare is the modern mob racket, "You increase your prices so we get bigger discounts and force people to keep paying health insurance" is some sketch math.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
the only people who complain about groceries and gas at my job are the bosses

makes me think

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have you SEEN the prices at Whole Foods recently?!?!? BIDEN!!!!!!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

every time I get a pay stub I thank the stars that my contributions for medical/vision/dental look like this:

medical: 0.00
vision: 0.00
dental: 0.00

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm also paying state income tax for the first time ever now and that was a whole big chunk

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Fool posted:

I'm also paying state income tax for the first time ever now and that was a whole big chunk

You must be raking in cash then? :laffo:

Raymond T. Racing posted:

every time I get a pay stub I thank the stars that my contributions for medical/vision/dental look like this:

medical: 0.00
vision: 0.00
dental: 0.00

Same. There's a $300ish deductible for GP visits and some medication, otherwise it's all covered by the :norway: tax.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Wibla posted:

You must be raking in cash then? :laffo:

Same. There's a $300ish deductible for GP visits and some medication, otherwise it's all covered by the :norway: tax.

Mine surprisingly enough is not :norway: tax

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

The Fool posted:

I'm guessing you just left texas? I hope you didn't move to ohio, cuz they got city tax bullshit too. FWIW, in a lot of states if you only owe for the period of time you existed in the state, so if you moved in the last 3 months of the year or something you might not owe much/anything to one or both. I got stupidly lucky since I spent 6 months in two different states many years ago, and didn't have to pay either anything. Was a very small win.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

When I quit my last job, my wife and I just bought insurance through the state marketplace. It's been pretty solid for us.

Even after I got hired at this gig, we opted to keep it since my new employers offerings weren't awful but not great either. It's 800 dollars a month but the deductible is reasonable, and my wife makes gently caress you money as a contract veterinarian, so I fully realize we're the outliers.

Though we're moving to Canada or the UK sometime in the next few years, so :shrug:

Anyways had that meeting, and everyone being let go was surprisingly positive about it. I guess they've kinda known for awhile they were gonna be short timers sooner or later, so the meeting was less wallowing and more "what can we get done over the next two months?" Upside is it seems I am definitely getting fast tracked for a network role. Which, cool. I don't mind help desk at this place, but I wasn't really looking forward to idling in this role for another year or two before I could move into a networking role here or elsewhere. Guess I'll get to put my CCNA to good use sooner than I expected.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

FISHMANPET posted:

My motto is that I'll never do anything twice. The first time I'll do it manually in the GUI or whatever, to understand what it is I'm actually doing. The second time I'll automate it in some way. Often times it's as simple as writing a small script to accomplish the task.

Any admin has tasks they do frequently that are pretty identical but still time consuming and/or tedious, and there's probably some API or command line interface to that too such that you can script the operation.

The biggest problem in getting started is that there's quite a bit of learned intuition around identifying take that can and should be "automated". And that intuition isn't something you'll get from reading "DevOps" tutorials that are mostly about kubernetes and terraform. I blow people's minds all the time by identifying things that can be automated and laying out strategies to automate them, because it's apparently not a skill you learn from just doing "admin" work. I don't really know what magic X factor it is I have that's let me develop that intuition. Well, maybe I do, but it's not really useful advice. I strongly suspect it's my ADHD and brain's constant search for novelty that drives me. I get incredibly frustrated with repetitive or mundane tasks, and have trouble repeatedly following lengthy processes that are mostly cut and paste. So I'm biologically inclined to seek and destroy tedium. Those of you who aren't neuro-spicy? I have no idea what advice to offer.

For me I think the big thing is knowing how to recognize what data can be easily represented in a structured format and what repeatable operations can be done on each item in the set. Basically any automation you are going to do is going to rely on either having or generating that data. For lack of a better term, I think of it as "finding handles."

johnny park posted:

Maybe I'm confused. Is all automation considered devops?

There is absolutely no universally accepted definition of "devops" so it means whatever the person saying it wants it to mean, which is frequently different from what the person hearing it thinks that person means.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

That would certainly explain why it seems so hard to google the meaning of devops

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
To be fair googling anything with the current state of search engines is hard

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

I'm guessing you just left texas? I hope you didn't move to ohio, cuz they got city tax bullshit too. FWIW, in a lot of states if you only owe for the period of time you existed in the state, so if you moved in the last 3 months of the year or something you might not owe much/anything to one or both. I got stupidly lucky since I spent 6 months in two different states many years ago, and didn't have to pay either anything. Was a very small win.

texas isn't even the biggest state with no income tax

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

johnny park posted:

Maybe I'm confused. Is all automation considered devops?

DevOps is part of the Zombo.com revolution.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Fool posted:

texas isn't even the biggest state with no income tax

Huh? Size wise or population?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not everything is bigger in Texas!

(Alaska)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Huh? Size wise or population?

square miles

ie got it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Good news! An opportunity to help a colleague learn to automate updating 200 PCs!

Bad news! The vendor still uses HOST files so that's what we're updating!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just got freed from posting jail, to say that I'm going dual 32" monitors this weekend and it'll be 5' of screens surrounding me. Can't wait

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Die in a fire helm

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

Die in a fire helm

Sorry I know it's intimidating having monitors wider than you are tall

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Sorry I know it's intimidating having monitors wider than you are tall

You know I rock a 49in 5k ultra wide right?

with a 16in m1 Mac, I will always be bigger than you.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

64 > 49

anyway i'm mad i have to order longer cables to make it work

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

mllaneza posted:

Good news! An opportunity to help a colleague learn to automate updating 200 PCs!

Bad news! The vendor still uses HOST files so that's what we're updating!

Why? Just because that's what the vendor is recommending doesn't mean you can't roll whatever it is to your private DNS. Last time this came up for me we noped out of that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

64 > 49

anyway i'm mad i have to order longer cables to make it work

5k > whatever yours are.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

5k > whatever yours are.

8k pixels combined :smug:

e: just realized this might end up being wider than my desk. oh well

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

8k pixels combined :smug:

e: just realized this might end up being wider than my desk. oh well

my desk is bigger than yours

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

that's probably true, new desk is next on the stupid computer expenses list. might get work to chip in

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I got AZ-104 in August. I'm moving to the DC area in the spring so I haven't looked for any jobs since I would have to do it anyway at a known time.

I have 10 years of experience in healthcare desktop IT. Would I be able to get a job using Azure? I'm really concerned because the job market gets more rigid by the year and since I haven't done The Thing as a job (indeed, as a service), I'm not qualified to do The Thing and never will be. Should I look into contracts or MSPs or something like that? I'm used to being a W2 FTE so doing contract work would be something totally new for me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I prefer an ultrawide or super ultrawide versus two monitors. I always hated having one be offset or having the bezels straight in front of me. There's been a few times where I've used 3 monitors, but nah, not for home.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skooma512 posted:

So I got AZ-104 in August. I'm moving to the DC area in the spring so I haven't looked for any jobs since I would have to do it anyway at a known time.

I have 10 years of experience in healthcare desktop IT. Would I be able to get a job using Azure? I'm really concerned because the job market gets more rigid by the year and since I haven't done The Thing as a job (indeed, as a service), I'm not qualified to do The Thing and never will be. Should I look into contracts or MSPs or something like that? I'm used to being a W2 FTE so doing contract work would be something totally new for me.

To answer your question, yes. If you've been in the field for 10 years, I think you could get a job using Azure. With how much difficulty is harder to predict. How much have you used Azure? Do you have a lab that you play around with? Did you do anything at your current job that you could link to things from your AZ-104? What did you do at your current job? Anything you could use to leverage into a step up or stepping stone? Anything M365/Intune?

As far as the MSP world goes, you might end up touching a lot. You might get a chance to do things you haven't done before. Was all 10 years at the same place? If so, an MSP might be a decent way to get experience working with a bunch of different networks. They do suck to work for, though.

There was a lot of words written about this sort of thing in the last few pages, not sure if you saw them or not. Might be worth a read if not.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Internet Explorer posted:

To answer your question, yes. If you've been in the field for 10 years, I think you could get a job using Azure. With how much difficulty is harder to predict. How much have you used Azure? Do you have a lab that you play around with? Did you do anything at your current job that you could link to things from your AZ-104? What did you do at your current job? Anything you could use to leverage into a step up or stepping stone? Anything M365/Intune?

As far as the MSP world goes, you might end up touching a lot. You might get a chance to do things you haven't done before. Was all 10 years at the same place? If so, an MSP might be a decent way to get experience working with a bunch of different networks. They do suck to work for, though.

There was a lot of words written about this sort of thing in the last few pages, not sure if you saw them or not. Might be worth a read if not.

I have my subscription with a SQL server I stood up to hold my Spotify GDPR dump so I could throw queries at it. That was fun and beyond even the 104 material. Still not anything close to a real environment.

We actually use Azure and 365 at my current job, and I reached out to an Azure person after a presentation where they specifically offered mentoring... they did not reply, nor did the person who ran the meeting when I asked if I even had the right person. So, we use it, but I have no access to any of the backend, so it doesn't matter and doesn't count for anything.

I'll look for that post.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Internet Explorer posted:

I prefer an ultrawide or super ultrawide versus two monitors. I always hated having one be offset or having the bezels straight in front of me. There's been a few times where I've used 3 monitors, but nah, not for home.

I love my triple monitor setup at home. 1440p 27" in the center, two 1080p 24"s on either side. Not sure how I would cope with only 2 monitors.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I love my triple monitor setup at home. 1440p 27" in the center, two 1080p 24"s on either side. Not sure how I would cope with only 2 monitors.

Where are your crts?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You only need a laptop and a monitor, triple and double monitor setups are weird. just plug a monitor into your laptop and use a Ipad for slack with universal control.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jaegerx posted:

You only need a laptop and a monitor, triple and double monitor setups are weird. just plug a monitor into your laptop and use a Ipad for slack with universal control.

Laptop monitors are too small and I dislike the lack of pixels.