Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hypothetical question, hopefully this is the right place. Could the new Civic Type R work as a dog hauler? I have an 80lb dog and I'm curious if you can (humanely) have a dog in the rear hatch area.

Wagon options are limited these days and if you want a manual it's even more limited.

S65 swap E91 you know you want to!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

GTI also works as a great multiple dog hauler.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
gr corolla dog hauling review , verdict 6/10

https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-review-will-it-dog

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

TheBacon posted:

S65 swap E91 you know you want to!!!!!

It's literally my perfect car. I would cut a very large check TODAY if an S65-swapped manual E91 with the correct M3 bodywork (front and rear fenders) was available and ready.

I don't have the patience or the finances to do that from scratch.

PeterWeller posted:

My friends haul their 70-80 pound dog in the back of their Civic hatch all the time.

Good to know. I'd like to test drive one but I assume dealers are still doing markup on these things and test drives are out of the question?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hypothetical question, hopefully this is the right place. Could the new Civic Type R work as a dog hauler? I have an 80lb dog and I'm curious if you can (humanely) have a dog in the rear hatch area.

Wagon options are limited these days and if you want a manual it's even more limited.

If you fold down the back seats, yes easily.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I have kids in car seats so that's not an option.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The civic hatches are very much a lift back in practicality, and sacrifice a ton of storage space. I can’t distinguish the hatches and sedans at a glance.

In the end, I’d say look more toward a regular (GTI, focus, even GR Corolla) hatch if you’re worried about having rear cargo area that’s functional without folding the seats.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I don't have a dog but I just got a Type R. Big hatch area but it does slope and is more like a lift back. 16" MacBook Pro for scale.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Probably want to try and find as new as possible manual GSW and put a tune on it and then just commit to sportscar sportscar (rip exige still?) for fun stuff and doggo just has to not participate on fun drives.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh yeah, there’s cargo area there, but the dog is probably gonna wanna sit up. I think the GTI is the king of vertical hatch space all the way to the back, even if the CTR might have more space overall (I don’t know if that’s true, btw, civics are now the size of a Buick Century)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's so much easier to have a dedicated hauler for dogs that you don't have to worry about them ruining your pristine, fast car

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

It's so much easier to have a dedicated hauler for dogs that you don't have to worry about them ruining your pristine, fast car

get a van and then use it to go van camping with the heckin' puppos

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

grahm posted:

I don't have a dog but I just got a Type R. Big hatch area but it does slope and is more like a lift back. 16" MacBook Pro for scale.

Congrats on the CTR. Any plans to modify?

The hatch area is definitely big enough but the slope of the liftback makes me a little nervous, I don't think my dog could easily stand up or adjust.

TheBacon posted:

Probably want to try and find as new as possible manual GSW and put a tune on it and then just commit to sportscar sportscar (rip exige still?) for fun stuff and doggo just has to not participate on fun drives.

Ha, took me a minute to figure out what GSW was. I have realized that in a two car solution I want to my nicer car to be my daily. I've had the more expensive car as the one that sees 200-300 miles a year and I don't want that anymore. So yeah, the Exige has to go.

I had an STI wagon before I had kids and I hated that engine. Perfect on paper but couldn't get excited about that engine. I'm too old for stiff suspensions so the Focus RS is out. Seeing videos of reviewers bouncing along in a CTR didn't inspire hope either.

I'm leaning toward a used Panamera Turbo wagon or RS6 Avant right now. But I'm having guilt about something that expensive (even used) and trying to find some fun alternatives with a manual. Not a lot of options for enthusiasts that don't want an SUV.

trilobite terror posted:

get a van and then use it to go van camping with the heckin' puppos

This is fantastic life advice.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm leaning toward a used Panamera Turbo wagon or RS6 Avant right now. But I'm having guilt about something that expensive (even used) and trying to find some fun alternatives with a manual. Not a lot of options for enthusiasts that don't want an SUV.

Just saying, you’re right in the sweet spot where Alpina hadn’t quite stopped making manual wagons and they’re now twenty-five years old…

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The hatch area is definitely big enough but the slope of the liftback makes me a little nervous, I don't think my dog could easily stand up or adjust.

Ha, took me a minute to figure out what GSW was. I have realized that in a two car solution I want to my nicer car to be my daily. I've had the more expensive car as the one that sees 200-300 miles a year and I don't want that anymore. So yeah, the Exige has to go.

I had an STI wagon before I had kids and I hated that engine. Perfect on paper but couldn't get excited about that engine. I'm too old for stiff suspensions so the Focus RS is out. Seeing videos of reviewers bouncing along in a CTR didn't inspire hope either.

This is fantastic life advice.

How frequently are you bringing your dog around because like you can absolutely get some child seats in a 911 and that would absolutely be a hoot of a do it all (besides dog duty and costco).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The GSW isn’t going to be much fun unless you dump money in to it. I like my mildly tuned Alltrack a lot, but I’d like it a lot less if I didn’t have an e39 M5

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cheap(ish) dog Wagon you say?
https://www.autotempest.com/results?make=jaguar&model=xf&localization=country&trim_kw=Sportbrake

I have fun in mine. Always makes me smile

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 5, 2024

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It’s probably not as fun as that wagon, but the Buick Regal TourX has plenty of room for the dogs.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Hell yeah, nice ride Arishtat!

I've got a JCW Countryman with the same drivetrain (but AWD), I cannot imagine how much fun it is in a 2-door that's close to 1,000lbs lighter (not the usual fun, that kinda fun that makes you giggle as you nervously saw at the wheel to stay straight with the torque steer).

I have a set of GP3 rims on my car, interesting that the PO decided to ditch them from your car. I love the look (though obviously tase is subjective).

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I need help finding my unicorn, goons.

I hate the driver's seat in my FiST. There's a broken spot in the back that clicks and it's just generally uncomfortable. I need a manual Recaro with an intact airbag. I know I could get an aftermarket seat, but I'd be more comfortable with one that has the airbag, which as far as I can tell is only the Recaro that was sold as an option in the ST. I will pay to have it shipped to Maryland, as I have little hope of finding one nearby.

I've tried the main pick-a-part registries and most of them don't differentiate STs from SEs, and none have the part I need.

May I be so bold as to request an AI BOLO for this seat? The reward for information leading to its apprehension is homemade cookies and my eternal thanks.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Try asking in the MDST group on Facebook, there might be someone with one. Goonspeed!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

I need help finding my unicorn, goons.

I hate the driver's seat in my FiST. There's a broken spot in the back that clicks and it's just generally uncomfortable. I need a manual Recaro with an intact airbag. I know I could get an aftermarket seat, but I'd be more comfortable with one that has the airbag, which as far as I can tell is only the Recaro that was sold as an option in the ST. I will pay to have it shipped to Maryland, as I have little hope of finding one nearby.

I've tried the main pick-a-part registries and most of them don't differentiate STs from SEs, and none have the part I need.

May I be so bold as to request an AI BOLO for this seat? The reward for information leading to its apprehension is homemade cookies and my eternal thanks.

Those Recaros are terrible IMO

I test drove a bunch of FiSTs with them and they were all uncomfortable and tight to sit in long term and the metal skeletons of the side bolsters were all starting to break through the fabric seams. Also got the strong impression that the supports would weaken with use over time.

My only regret about going with the regular seat is the lack of heating, and also the lumbar support mechanism detached itself in mine at about ~100k, which is a common problem (probably the thing that’s wrong with yours).

It’s a pretty easy fix but you have to take the seat back apart which is either time and effort or $500 so I’ve just ignored mine for now but it’s on the “to fix” list.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Thanks! No plans to modify unless I decide to track it. And even if I do, I'd only do mods to make it run cooler — I'm not sure what I'd do with more power in a FWD car.

It could definitely use a better-sounding exhaust, but I came from an RS3 and have just resigned myself to the fact that all of these turbo fours sound like garbage. This one is especially tame though, so maybe I'll think about an exhaust if I keep it long-term.

I do think the slope would be a tough for a dog.

trilobite terror posted:

Those Recaros are terrible IMO

Alternate opinion: the Recaros were my favorite thing about my FiST. They make the interior feel so much more special than it is and are amazing for spirited driving. I am a tall, slim guy though and they fit my body well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i as a tiny guy love my recaros. my wife hates them however.

so she gets to drive her car.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I've sat in recaros before and I'm juuuuust small enough for them to be comfortable. They're a little tight on my muffintops, lol, but better than the stock seats.

I don't think it's the lumbar support that's broken on my seat, I feel a clicking right around my left shoulderblade so I think something is broken in the upper portion of the seat.

Will try the MDST group, thanks!

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

sarcastx posted:

Hell yeah, nice ride Arishtat!

I've got a JCW Countryman with the same drivetrain (but AWD), I cannot imagine how much fun it is in a 2-door that's close to 1,000lbs lighter (not the usual fun, that kinda fun that makes you giggle as you nervously saw at the wheel to stay straight with the torque steer).

I have a set of GP3 rims on my car, interesting that the PO decided to ditch them from your car. I love the look (though obviously taste is subjective).

As a friend of the previous owner put it, "This car will sneak up on you if you let it." Fortunately my previous car was pretty good training for this one, just nowhere near as powerful.

Per the previous owner his rationale for the aftermarket wheels was twofold: one, additional width to run wider tires for grip; two, they'd be easier to repair than the factory wheels in case the driver curbed them

I'll probably end up using them as track wheels. It seems like a waste to just keep them in the basement as lightweight as they are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grahm posted:

Alternate opinion: the Recaros were my favorite thing about my FiST. They make the interior feel so much more special than it is and are amazing for spirited driving. I am a tall, slim guy though and they fit my body well.

I have larger than average testicles and I can’t manspread comfortably enough in the ST Recaros. This is not an attempt at a flex, I have a medical situation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

I have larger than average testicles and I can’t manspread comfortably enough in the ST Recaros. This is not an attempt at a flex, I have a medical situation.

:ok:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Huge balls, tiny car. Ford EcoBalls

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the missive i have sent to all the f1 and rally drivers about their situation will probably crush their hearts gj champ.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Huge balls, tiny car. Ford EcoBalls

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I have a FiST with the non-Recaro seats and totally comfortable, no issues or breakages and I’m at 101k miles.

I’d buy a set of Recaros if they came up for sale.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Just saying, you’re right in the sweet spot where Alpina hadn’t quite stopped making manual wagons and they’re now twenty-five years old…

I'm interested! I saw a few e39 Alpina wagons on Collecting Cars. Are there any European importers similar to TopRank and other JDM importers that handle everything for you?

This is a spicy option that I forgot about, thanks! I'm more ok with automatics these days and this is a really drat good option if I wanted something cheaper but still interesting and unique. Seems they have the ZF 8spd as well. Those are absolutely gorgeous. How do they drive?

TheBacon posted:

How frequently are you bringing your dog around because like you can absolutely get some child seats in a 911 and that would absolutely be a hoot of a do it all (besides dog duty and costco).

My wife takes the Alfa once or twice a week when I need to get the dog. It's not the end of the world but I really want a one stop shop that can do everything.

I had planned on a 991.2 T for quite a while but my kids are still young enough that the car will get beat up with them getting in and out. I have devised a solution though: Nice wagon + dirtbag 997.1.

People are afraid of the IMS and bore scoring issue on the 997.1 so they're crazy cheap. I found a few in the low 30s that either have the IMS fix or rebuilt engine + IMS fix. I think you still get the flavor of a 911 but lower stakes when life happens.

And if you keep perspective with the air-cooled stuff people pay stupid money for, even a 997.1 C2 looks pretty good. 325hp in a 3065lb car is no slouch.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

This is a spicy option that I forgot about, thanks! I'm more ok with automatics these days and this is a really drat good option if I wanted something cheaper but still interesting and unique. Seems they have the ZF 8spd as well. Those are absolutely gorgeous. How do they drive?

Engine is quiet and composed driving around but then hit put your foot down so the choo choo noises start, you're in the back of the seat and your dog falls over in the rear. Really good gt car, wife and I have done multiple multi state road trips in it and it's comfy as can be.

It has a sport mode that increases the tune, makes throttle response feel great, reduces traction control , sends power to the rear and puts it into paddle shift mode. I usually end up sliding the back end around in sport.

Transmission has three modes:
Eco which I never use unless I'm on the highway where the shift points are terrible, but gas mileage goes up to around 30mpg
Normal which I stay in where most of the time. Usually get 24-27mpg
Sport that makes shifting really quick and snappy.

I've taken it to an autocross event and it's a big heavy beast so it's not fast but it accelerates pretty good on the straights and doesn't roll too much with the glass roof.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to upgrade to when this one falls apart. The Merc wagon and Audi rs6 are both too expensive, and I don't think I can go back to a smaller hatch. Might have to do a restomod or something.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm interested! I saw a few e39 Alpina wagons on Collecting Cars. Are there any European importers similar to TopRank and other JDM importers that handle everything for you?

My wife takes the Alfa once or twice a week when I need to get the dog. It's not the end of the world but I really want a one stop shop that can do everything.

I had planned on a 991.2 T for quite a while but my kids are still young enough that the car will get beat up with them getting in and out. I have devised a solution though: Nice wagon + dirtbag 997.1.

People are afraid of the IMS and bore scoring issue on the 997.1 so they're crazy cheap. I found a few in the low 30s that either have the IMS fix or rebuilt engine + IMS fix. I think you still get the flavor of a 911 but lower stakes when life happens.

And if you keep perspective with the air-cooled stuff people pay stupid money for, even a 997.1 C2 looks pretty good. 325hp in a 3065lb car is no slouch.

I’ll just plug the Acura TSX as a plucky, super practical wagon. It’s just a euro spec accord, but you can rev the poo poo out of it and hold a lot of dogs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
manual crosstreks are slow as balls, but they're manual crosstreks which means that they have that perfect combo of unique and rare and fun enough to drive plus relative ubiquity/anonymity on the road, and also the practicality of a crosstrek

kinda like the manual gen 1+2 CRVs that precede them

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I know of one in the Boston/Southern NH area, but I would have to inquire as to what their process is. They also sell Lada and whatever else from the Eastern Bloc at silly markups.

Edit: I'm not sure if they do importing, I thought they did, but I moved out of the area nearly 4 years ago. I can shoot them an e-mail.

https://www.alphacars.com/ is their website

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 6, 2024

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been driving a Civic Si and I absolutely love it. I've also gotten the car bug and now I want more. I was thinking about an FL5 Civic Type R. I know they're hard to get, but I might as well try right? I'm looking for the increased power and sharpness from the Type R. I'd be using it for my daily driver and some spirited back road driving. Little to no track time.

I just have a few questions about it. My main concern is the ride quality. Virtually every review I've ever read says it's wonderful, but really stiff. Even in comfort mode. Is it too stiff for a daily driver? Stiffer than the Si? Is it worth putting 18 inch wheels on it? I'm ok losing some performance to gain a bit of comfort.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Travic posted:

I've been driving a Civic Si and I absolutely love it. I've also gotten the car bug and now I want more. I was thinking about an FL5 Civic Type R. I know they're hard to get, but I might as well try right? I'm looking for the increased power and sharpness from the Type R. I'd be using it for my daily driver and some spirited back road driving. Little to no track time.

I just have a few questions about it. My main concern is the ride quality. Virtually every review I've ever read says it's wonderful, but really stiff. Even in comfort mode. Is it too stiff for a daily driver? Stiffer than the Si? Is it worth putting 18 inch wheels on it? I'm ok losing some performance to gain a bit of comfort.

I have an FK8 Type-R with the stock 20'' wheels and the ride is more than fine as a daily. Even on +R mode it's not that stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Travic posted:

Get the Integra Type S

it’s plushier and makes more power