Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

Also I don't know how you can see this and not see the comparison to 40K.

Mostly because when I think about 40k I think about this type of aesthetic:

Yeah, sure, the guys wearing nazi-like uniforms resemble the 40k guys wearing nazi-like uniforms, who knew.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

thrawn527 posted:

Does it have Jimmy, though?

I liked it, but I didn't love it. I hope to love the director's cut, and the sequel. The last 30-40 minutes of this movie fucks.

Until that point it's a long series of character introductions, and thin ones. I only feel like I really know Kora, Gunnar, and kinda Kai. Oh, and Darrian was great, for how little we got of him. Everyone else is kinda there, and silent after their intros. I was hoping for a lot more of Titus. Again, I have high hopes for the longer cut and sequel. But while I liked this, I didn't love it like I hoped to. Decent intro, though.

The one time we see it used, it destroys anything habitable extremely fast. I'd say it's comparable.

But only comparable, not a direct rip or anything. I agree that calling this movie "basically Star Wars" is wrong (outside of the obvious lightsabers, but whatever, those were cool, so I'll allow it). It mostly felt like a unique world, that I want to explore more. I just hope we get a chance to. So far it just feels surface level of a potentially impressive universe.

Jimmy carries when he’s around. And when not, I dream of Jimmy.

This is mostly a silly argument , but I think if you are going to compare the dreadnaughts to Star Wars then the Star destroyers make more sense. Both can bombard orbit. In practice too, the dreadnaught shows up to Veldt and doesn’t immediately blow up the planet. The Death Star though never waits and it’s a countdown for it to shoot. So they function differently as threats. Though part 2 could change that with an angrier Noble.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

All these ST defenders making me truly question my sicko status

It's a testament to just how bad RM is that even the ST looks competent and interesting in comparison

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just pointing out that the look is basically wholesale ripped from Gestapo and Soviet Commissars of WW2, right down to the tie (40k Commissars don't have ties, they generally are wearing space armor or embroidered naval jackets).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

It's a testament to just how bad RM is that even the ST looks competent and interesting in comparison

All it reflects at the moment is people dedicated to dunking on a Zack Snyder film tho

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

No ties in 40K.

I know nothing about 40K, I'm kidding, it's a clear influence.

checkplease posted:

Jimmy carries when he’s around. And when not, I dream of Jimmy.

This is mostly a silly argument , but I think if you are going to compare the dreadnaughts to Star Wars then the Star destroyers make more sense. Both can bombard orbit. In practice too, the dreadnaught shows up to Veldt and doesn’t immediately blow up the planet. The Death Star though never waits and it’s a countdown for it to shoot. So they function differently as threats. Though part 2 could change that with an angrier Noble.

In appearance, yes, they're obviously Star Destroyers. But what do you mean the Death Star never waits? The entire climax of ANH is about a countdown before the Death Star can fire? Granted that's because a planet was in the way, but plot wise, it functioned the same. And in the movies, we never see Star Destroyers perform an orbital bombardment on the level of the dreadnought. They have to send AT-AT's down in ESB. Orbital bombardment is more of an EU thing, like in KOTOR.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 4, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Guy A. Person posted:

All it reflects at the moment is people dedicated to dunking on a Zack Snyder film tho

They just can’t get Synder out their heads.

thrawn527 posted:

No ties in 40K.

I know nothing about 40K, I'm kidding, it's a clear influence.

In appearance, yes, they're obviously Star Destroyers. But what do you mean the Death Star never waits? The entire climax of ANH is about a countdown before the Death Star can fire? And in the movies, we never see Star Destroyers perform an orbital bombardment on the level of the dreadnought. They have to send AT-AT's down in ESB. Orbital bombardment is more of an EU thing, like in KOTOR.

I mean the death start doesn’t show up and negotiate. There’s a countdown as it takes a while to charge up and move into position, but not to request the rebels be grain slaves.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I admittedly know dick all about Warhammer but what jumps out to me isn't the nazi outfits (because yeah, they're nazis, we get it) but the pistols, which looks a ton like the one Kora has int he movie (brick shaped with the fancy gold trim)

Again, know dick about WH but my understanding was this is just one of the factions (albeit one of the most popular ones and the one that's often used as the face of the brand). I would have imagined there were other things about the aesthetic outside the obvious, like the design of the ships/weaponry/monsters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

You will believe a man can tie

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

I mean the death start doesn’t show up and negotiate. There’s a countdown as it takes a while to charge up and move into position, but not to request the rebels be grain slaves.

Oh, you're not talking about what it can do, but how it's used? My mistake then.

But we still see a dreadnaught destroy a livable area of a planet immediately (after fake negotiation). If you think the Imperium was negotiating in good faith before firing, well okay.

We're talking a matter of minor degrees, I guess.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 4, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, you're not talking about what it can do, but how it's used? My mistake then.

But we still see a dreadnaught destroy a livable area of a planet immediately (after fake negotiation). If you think the Imperium was negotiating in good faith before firing, well okay.

We're talking a matter of minor degrees, I guess.

yeah that’s all fair, and true it wrecks those fish people and their floating rocks.

I guess the next film will temper the threat of orbital destruction since noble is ordered to bring Kora back alive. l

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mostly because when I think about 40k I think about this type of aesthetic:

Yeah, sure, the guys wearing nazi-like uniforms resemble the 40k guys wearing nazi-like uniforms, who knew.

It's not a 1:1 comparison, but I definitely get 40k vibes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

All these ST defenders making me truly question my sicko status

Y’all just hypocrites fr

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fr fr

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

straight up no goddamn cap bro

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Last Jedi is my favorite Star War tho.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teagone posted:

The Last Jedi is my favorite Star War tho.

😵‍💫😵‍💫

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

The coat isn't big enough

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:master:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Watched the movie. It was bad and too long and paced poorly. 2/5 some nice shots I guess.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Just agreeing that I also saw a lot of 40k in it, but it was probably more from both 40k and Rebel Moon drawing from similar places (old pulp scifi/fantasy, Heavy Metal as mentioned, etc) than 40k influence on Snyder. I was actually surprised to hear there was a literal Star Wars connection to the movie (via the old script pitch), because I didn't find it significantly Star Wars-y (beyond the obvious). It seemed more like the stories I've heard of Lucas' original A New Hope draft that was nuttier and more Buck Rogers cosmic fantasy. I also remember seeing old concept work for A New Hope that looked rather like Rebel Moon. That vibe was a significant part of what I enjoyed about the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The trick about making Star Wars that Disney forgot and everyone else remembers is that you SHOULD be ripping off other things to make a Star Wars story, because that's what the setting is for. Like how Star Trek is morality tales and the age of sail in space, and whatever props you have laying around you can reuse. If you start defining them only by what the franchise has already done it becomes incestuous and stale, fast.

Guy A. Person posted:

I admittedly know dick all about Warhammer but what jumps out to me isn't the nazi outfits (because yeah, they're nazis, we get it) but the pistols, which looks a ton like the one Kora has int he movie (brick shaped with the fancy gold trim)

Again, know dick about WH but my understanding was this is just one of the factions (albeit one of the most popular ones and the one that's often used as the face of the brand). I would have imagined there were other things about the aesthetic outside the obvious, like the design of the ships/weaponry/monsters.

One of the things about 40k is that a lot of the various factions have very different aesthetics from each other, sometimes almost to the point of looking like they came out of different genres, both to give the setting great diversity and have lots of obvious counterparts to historical and pop culture armies and factions. (The Imperial Guard are probably the most obvious here, with the Catachans being more or less Vietnam War elementals, the Vostroyans being Cossacks and the Krieg Death Korps being WW1 Germans in the worst hell of trench warfare incarnate) That said, the Imperium in particular has a lot of common motifs and styles across its diverse factions, the overall ornate Space Catholic Nazi aesthetic.

The big blocky guns, especially with ornate decoration, are probably one of the more distinct elements. Funny thing is that the colourful outfits and oversized weapons are giveaways that these characters are designed for miniatures first, so it's easy to identify the faction, role and equipment of an overpriced plastic spaceman only a few centimetres high. (Reminded how Firaxis admitted they used a similar style for the XCOM games with the oversized blocky weapons so you can see at a glance what a soldier is wielding from above)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 5, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just pointing out that the look is basically wholesale ripped from Gestapo and Soviet Commissars of WW2, right down to the tie (40k Commissars don't have ties, they generally are wearing space armor or embroidered naval jackets).

Yeah the looks are similar but they're drawing from a similar source.

I felt the 40k influence more in what little we saw of the Imperium's gothic design and architecture. I'm pretty sure the cathedral the Emperor stands in front of when he gives the speech to graduating cadets was straight up a terrain piece GW sold a few years ago.

That and the giant impractical company standards.

One comment I find myself aligning to was a youtube review comparing the meat of the movie to a Final Fantasy game. You go around collecting visuall distinct party members who get a bit of story when you recruit them and a moment to shine at the end. Otherwise they blend into the background since the developers don't want to code around all potential party compositions.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 5, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Final Fantasy 7... Magnificent Seven... Seven Samurai... oh my god

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Kora is a Tifa. Gunnar secret Cloud in part 2.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So who's Vincent?

But yeah since this is just technically the first half of a longer movie, we're missing out on the sections where the assembled team actually do what they're assembled to do, I can definitely understand the complaints that they kinda melt into the background. I suspect the whole thing will flow alot better when part two is out.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
I'll give Snyder some credit for having some interesting visuals in this movie, but dear god the man should stop doing his own cinematography.

I simply tapped out at my first attempt at watching this right at this moment.

Going straight from watching this to watching Dune (2021) for the first time doesn't do it any favours. For being a half a story like Rebel Moon, Dune felt far more substantial (and far better looking imho).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McCloud posted:

So who's Vincent?

But yeah since this is just technically the first half of a longer movie, we're missing out on the sections where the assembled team actually do what they're assembled to do, I can definitely understand the complaints that they kinda melt into the background. I suspect the whole thing will flow alot better when part two is out.

Apparently the first half of the movie (the most coherent) has completely new sections. Then we will presumably get a much better second half and action scenes that Zack finished editing. This release sucked.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m ok with the two versions as I look forward to enjoying the good movie again with a fun remix

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Zach should watch Silent Night for a slow-mo 101

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Magnificent Seven and Rebel Moon would make for a great double-feature. They share a lot of similarities beyond even what these kind of ensembles have. Even just going by what we haven't seen yet with Rebel Moon part 2, it focuses on the villain before you meet the heroes, their recruitment order and style are very similar for reasons I've posted about (indentured service, badass fight, brief conversation). They are even sold out by someone they trusted!

I mentioned before but not only the plot points but the narrative flow. It has the similar rapid-fire process of meeting these characters. It didn't notice the first time I saw Magnificent Seven (years ago) but they're actually moving between towns with each of the seven they meet but you don't get a sense that they are. In Rebel Moon there are establishing shots of them going to these new worlds. As jarring as some of cuts within these vignettes are you do have a sense of place and movement. Rebel Moon almost requires it because it's a new universe and not 19th century Western American and Mexico - its jarring but it's not very important to the story. You don't even get a sense of what life is like in the village in Magnificent Seven because you can assume it's just another sleepy remote Mexican village of farmers. Rebel Moon has to establish what that village is like, its customs and weird sex rituals for the harvest to give it a sense of place since normal assumptions wouldn't necessarily apply.

As I said before Magnificent Seven has an advantage because it doesn't end after the seven are assembled. It has no part 2. Even barring the director's cut filling in the weird editing gaps, I think the best way to watch Rebel Moon would to take part 1 an 2 as a whole. Watch part 1, take 15 minutes as an intermission (preferably blasting JunkieXL's score) then watch part 2. So those who are holding out I would watch this after part 2 is out and watch them as a whole, treat it like one film. It feels like a film of nothing but build-up because that's what it ultimately is. It not only establishes these characters but the universe and its politics. There's more going on in it than Magnificent Seven.

A good exercise would be to watch Rebel Moon then watch Magnificent Seven up to the point where the three farmers are leading the seven into an seemingly empty village. That's where Rebel Moon's narrative leaves off. See how you feel about both's narratives. Differences in runtime and filmmaking are to be expected but it's why I'm more forgiving of Rebel Moon than some because I saw one before the other and was struck how similar they are. I don't see the recruitment of these heroes any different than what is already established in the genre. We're so used to films being a certain way because it has been dominated by one genre with vast loosely-interconnected movies that somewhat establish these characters. Sure, I'd love to see a whole feature film with Nemesis but it's not necessary because Rebel Moon establishes what she's about with her dialogue and action.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah. For instance, James Coburn's Britt character is sketched out in one sequence and it's lean and effective. He's a guy so badass he can bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but principled enough that he only kills when necessary and isn't a braggart or a bully, and Magnificent Seven does it in around 5 minutes with one scene.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Zach should watch Silent Night for a slow-mo 101

Silent Night was really good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah. For instance, James Coburn's Britt character is sketched out in one sequence and it's lean and effective. He's a guy so badass he can bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but principled enough that he only kills when necessary and isn't a braggart or a bully, and Magnificent Seven does it in around 5 minutes with one scene.

Is that the guy who the Mexican kids follow around and he tells them to not diss their fathers for not being gunmen?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What on earth? Look at this guy not knowing Charles Bronson from James Coburn. This forum's gone to the dogs, I tell ya what.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Blood Boils posted:

Silent Night was really good

Hell of a cold open, havsn't see one like that since Lethal Weapon 2

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is that the guy who the Mexican kids follow around and he tells them to not diss their fathers for not being gunmen?

No, that's Bernardo, idiot! :rolleyes:

Jimbot posted:

What on earth? Look at this guy not knowing Charles Bronson from James Coburn. This forum's gone to the dogs, I tell ya what.

smdh lol

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Synder on the DGA podcast for rebel moon. Netflix getting him out there. I don’t think he’s been there before and they’ve had comic book and genre directors.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok listened to Snyder interview on the DGA. Man is a big dork who rambles, but very enthusiastic.

Some highlights:
- talks about Heavy Metal as a big influence, as well as Conan, Kurosawa, and Star Wars.

- calls his r rated version live action Heavy metal with all the nudity and violence.

- script was originally 200 pages. Shopped this around as R rated but Netflix pushed for a pg13 version at 2 hours.

- says basically cut 200 page script in half and expanded the final action scene a bit to make part 1.

- you can tell he’s really all about the longer r rated version. Says at 2 hours at some point it just becomes events that have to happen for plot.

-talks about how he become the directors cut guy. Basically accepted the studio notes for dawn of the dead, but saw how Ridley Scott has all these cuts and wanted to do the same. He discussed the idea with the home video department of the studio and they were all about it as it’s more features/dvds. Repeats this for other films.

- mentions he was surprised he got Hopkins to voice Jimmy. Sent Hopkins the script while Snyder continued to search for other English actors, but surprisingly Hopkins came back and said he liked the script.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snyder needs to get netflix back in the physical media business. Start printing their exclusives on disc. There are a few on there that I'd buy 4k discs for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jimbot posted:

Snyder needs to get netflix back in the physical media business. Start printing their exclusives on disc. There are a few on there that I'd buy 4k discs for.

The Night Comes for Us on physical media, gently caress yeah!