Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams

ROCK HARD
They had to pivot so much during MJFs reign. they were clearly gearing up towards Punk vs MJF then Punk got himself fired, then Adam Cole got injured, and MJF himself was beaten up. A lot of the reign was cursed so its kind of amazing it was as good as it was (and there were some great highlights)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Seams posted:

They had to pivot so much during MJFs reign. they were clearly gearing up towards Punk vs MJF then Punk got himself fired, then Adam Cole got injured, and MJF himself was beaten up. A lot of the reign was cursed so its kind of amazing it was as good as it was (and there were some great highlights)

I would agree with this

rotinaj

The hate for the whole reign is just weighed down by recency bias

When we have time to not be annoyed at the kingdom in shittily made devil hoodies, but go back and enjoy the match quality, I think anyone who is currently down on mjfs run will probably come around.

Like I said, especially after the second or third MJF title reign. Could be worse, could be better. Dudes only 27, wrestlers usually come into their prime in their 30s

CombineThresher

GIT R DONNE

I liked the Kangaroo Kick and double clothesline stuff. More wrestlers should be trying to pop fans with simple things that carry little risk of injury. His reign as a whole suffered from TK's unwillingness to pivot, but I prefer this MJF to the guy who made everyone run gauntlets.

fake edit: it's also tradition for internet wrestling fans to demand something and then turn on it the second they get what they want.

duckdealer

rotinaj posted:

The hate for the whole reign is just weighed down by recency bias

When we have time to not be annoyed at the kingdom in shittily made devil hoodies, but go back and enjoy the match quality, I think anyone who is currently down on mjf’s run will probably come around.

Like I said, especially after the second or third MJF title reign. Could be worse, could be better. Dude’s only 27, wrestlers usually come into their prime in their 30s

I don't think recency bias is the issue. The worst part of the reign was months ago. Most people already agree there were good matches. I think the reign had several great matches. It also included some of the worst stuff AEW has done.

Maybe I would be less down on the reign if MJF was holding the TNT title and there weren't so many other problems with the TV shows when MJF's stuff was at its lowest point.

Ringo Roadagain

Hmmm how did I get in this thread

Shard

StarkRavingMad

thread is sliding into discourse instead of hootin and hollerin so I'm just gonna post hangstache

rotinaj

duckdealer posted:

I don't think recency bias is the issue. The worst part of the reign was months ago. Most people already agree there were good matches. I think the reign had several great matches. It also included some of the worst stuff AEW has done.

The terrible silkscreened devil hoodies were on my tv this last Wednesday, actually

And that is emblematic of my personal issue with anything MJF related that I did not like. The hoodies arent something I would typically enormously care about, but the devil stuff all fell so flat for me, bad production value on the costuming was enough to break the camels back for me

The storyline stuff will become less fresh in our/my memory as time goes on, but the matches will still have been bangers, and going back to rewatch them will be sweet.

super macho dude

StarkRavingMad posted:

thread is sliding into discourse instead of hootin and hollerin so I'm just gonna post hangstache

:clint:

ChrisBTY

this glorious monument

Oops. Sorry.

Um...Brian Danielson is the greatest wrestling of modern times or indeed any time, it's been an absolute blessing to have him racking up 5* matches and I will miss him terribly when he's gone because absolutely nobody will be able to take his place.

super macho dude

ChrisBTY posted:

Oops. Sorry.

Um...Brian Danielson is the greatest wrestling of modern times or indeed any time, it's been an absolute blessing to have him racking up 5* matches and I will miss him terribly when he's gone because absolutely nobody will be able to take his place.

Good news! He's only "retiring" to part-time which I imagine in his mind that means only wrestling once a month instead of every week

ChrisBTY

this glorious monument

Only wrestling on PPV. Which since AEW is transitioning to monthly PPVs...

Barry Bluejeans

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I suppose I could somehow go on only watching Danielson wrestle twelve times a year

Majinfoose

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

ChrisBTY posted:

Oops. Sorry.

It's cool that he got all his 5 star matches this late in. The best of all time.

Pinwiz11

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've missed Daily's Place :woop:

Erin M. Fiasco

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

What a cool venue. And what a great match to start the episode. I am indeed hooting and hollering.

Shard

I am echoing a post I saw in the GDT - A double buckshot lariat combo is now known as Both Barrels.

Shard

The segment between Joe/Swerve/Hangman and Hook was one of the best world title segments in AEW main event history.

Sisal Two-Step

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Shard posted:

The segment between Joe/Swerve/Hangman and Hook was one of the best world title segments in AEW main event history.

it was very good. i gave a small hoot and a little holler.

Captain Foo

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shard posted:

Hell yeah

Erin M. Fiasco

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Man, AEW in Daily's Place just feels so good.

Shard

That was the best AEW show in a real long time

lamentable dustman

🏆🏆🏆

Shard posted:

That was the best AEW show in a real long time

yep, every match was fun as hell and moved stories along or established new ones

Captain Foo

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what a fun show

StarkRavingMad

I was hootin and/or hollerin

I like when the title picture is "here's a whole bunch of people who want that belt"

and the Bucks are so great, especially how good they are at making themselves look ridiculous

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 11, 2024

super macho dude

Hootin': confirmed
Hollerin': full volume

Majinfoose

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

God that one spot where Hobbs and Takeshita tossed Darby across the ring and he was spinning was loving nuts

beepo
Forum Veteran
Maybe I am misremembering, but wasn't early on in AEW there supposed to be stunt coordinators or something like that? Could have just been one of those "serious sports presentation" kind of rumours.

Anyways, this was one of those spots where I think that could be a good idea to an extent. If there are new moves or stunts that they want to do, taking a minute to formally think about it before they do it is probably a helpful hurdle to put in the way. Especially if you haven't considered how you are going to protect the recipients neck, you might want to pause and keep thinking. Doing that throw outside the ring, but in an unobstructed area, would have probably been safer.

Spots like the destroyer that blew up Dante Martin's ankle make me question how much thought gets put into very dangerous stunts. I know wrestling is all about making things seem real, but I don't think I am simply being worked when I see certain spots and think "wow, that was actually really dangerous and reckless."

Oil!

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

The last time a spot was rehearsed we got skin falling off Cody.

beepo
Forum Veteran
I mean have someone that doesn't have wrestler brain help think these things through

Quantum of Phallus

wreslters are in credibly stupid and do stupid things

Shard

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wreslters are in credibly stupid and do stupid things

to piggy back off this, and they are gonna do stupid things even if you tell them not to - even if you fire them. They will just go somewhere else and do stupid stuff. You can't fix wrestler brain. Just enjoy the sicko ride

El Gallinero Gros
Also a lot of the dumb stuff they do wrt actual wrestling is probably rooted in them being obscenely athletic people who do crazy poo poo with no incident all the time, like Dante

beepo
Forum Veteran
You can still figure out the safest way to do something incredibly stupid.

I think spiritually, the spot of "set up some chairs to lay a door between them, but it keeps kinda slipping and will fall apart before any successful slam" that I have seen in every indy garbage match is what I mean. If you want to slam a guy through a door or a table, there are many ways to set it up that look better than some precarious contraption with a low percentage of success. Same with leaps from precarious footing. You can pop the crowd just the same, whether or not you give yourself stable footing before jumping.

Sometimes people need to be literally told to put your shoes on after your pants, because they won't figure it out themselves. If you have a big dangerous ladder dive as part of the finish, don't beat that ladder to poo poo first. Ya know, keep a ladder fresh and beat up another one if you must.

Shard

it's possible they have someone go over spots with wrestlers and think what they did would be safe. And then freak stuff happens, or they are told not to do something and they do it anyway. Honestly this is all just conjecture.

beepo
Forum Veteran
Hell, i dunno

Jonny Nox

Yeah AEW has agents for this exact reason

The agents also have wrestlers brain

Jonny Nox

Also guys like Jericho and Bryan can just tell the agents theyre just going to go out and do some wrestling poo poo for a set number of minutes and expect to get a thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

beepo posted:

Maybe I am misremembering, but wasn't early on in AEW there supposed to be stunt coordinators or something like that? Could have just been one of those "serious sports presentation" kind of rumours.

Anyways, this was one of those spots where I think that could be a good idea to an extent. If there are new moves or stunts that they want to do, taking a minute to formally think about it before they do it is probably a helpful hurdle to put in the way. Especially if you haven't considered how you are going to protect the recipients neck, you might want to pause and keep thinking. Doing that throw outside the ring, but in an unobstructed area, would have probably been safer.

Spots like the destroyer that blew up Dante Martin's ankle make me question how much thought gets put into very dangerous stunts. I know wrestling is all about making things seem real, but I don't think I am simply being worked when I see certain spots and think "wow, that was actually really dangerous and reckless."

her name is Kris Statlander