Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
where the gently caress are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Finland

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fuckland

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Buddy, they won't even let me, etc.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Europe's strategic reserve of horrible bogs.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Happy new year dadchat. It is currently -30 degrees Celsius here, which google tells me is about -22 in the filthy Fahrenheit scale.

at -40 you don't have to specify

Tesseraction posted:

Europe's strategic reserve of horrible bogs.

this is lithuania erasure

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lithuania is our strategic reserve of superfluous grammar. Especially since Hungary went rogue.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Which dadchatter ate a probe for calling fins 'swamp swedes'?

Also pour one out for kals and the swamps of latvia

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The perfidious swede is a menace :argh:

Cease to Hope posted:

at -40 you don't have to specify

I remember this bit, but I've long since forgotten the conversion formula. Too bad the Frenchies hosed up their revolution, we could've had metric time and everything :dawkins101:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

I remember this bit, but I've long since forgotten the conversion formula.

fwiw

C = (F-32)(5/9)
F= (9C/5)+32

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

See, that's remembering pointless arbitrary constants. Speed of light or the Earth's radius, sure. Some absolute buffoon's idea of a proper temperature scale? gently caress that noise, let's have a nuclear war over SI supremacy :doom:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Fahrenheit and Celsius are both cromulent measures.

Fahrenheit makes more sense for general human use because you can be more specific.

Celsius makes more sense for scientific use or for situations with temperatures way outside of the normal ambient temperature.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

outside of the normal ambient temperature.

Try to keep up, grandpa, some of us live in places with proper weather

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

See, that's remembering pointless arbitrary constants.

the melting point of water is 273.15 K

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

the melting point of water is 273.15 K

That's nature's fault tho

Yes yes, both yardsticks are arbitrary, but one involves brine for some reason and the other makes sense

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the length of a meter has changed twice in my lifetime

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rappaport posted:

There's nothing proper about the weather in Finland. Mankind mocks god's plan by trying to settle there.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rappaport posted:

:finland::hf::canada:

There's nothing proper about the weather in Finland. Mankind mocks god's plan by trying to settle there.

You live in the country that decided Phoenix, Arizona should not only exist but be worth funneling entire states worth of resources to keep alive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Furnaceface posted:

You live in the country that decided Phoenix, Arizona should not only exist but be worth funneling entire states worth of resources to keep alive.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I have been told that unironically a few times and it always makes me laugh. Doesnt matter that theres no humidity when youre averaging 106F for an entire month of the year!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

its 20 degrees here

c baby, c

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pretending that fahrenheit makes sense is one of the most absurd habits of yankee pigdogs

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

10 cent Thursday discount and a 20 cents per gallon discount with my grocery card point discount and I got gas for $2.79 cents per gallon today.

:eyepop:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 4, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
given the crazy instability around the persian gulf and the suez canal, the continual decline of oil prices either means china's economy is crashing bigly or a wizard controls the commodities market through the use of a dart board

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's killing me that gas is about as cheap as it has ever been when adjusted for inflation and my electricity bill is basically back to what it normally was following a big spike in 2022, but a box of Kix cereal is still $7.99 at my local grocery store.

What are those farmers doing with all those corn and sugar subsidies?!?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

given the crazy instability around the persian gulf and the suez canal, the continual decline of oil prices either means china's economy is crashing bigly or a wizard controls the commodities market through the use of a dart board

I think it's because the US is a net pil exporter at this point, so we're less sensitive.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think it's because the US is a net pil exporter at this point, so we're less sensitive.

Oil is cheap on the commodities market right now and not just in the U.S.

We have lower taxes and domestic supply that requires less transport/tariffs, so it may be a little cheaper in the U.S. compared to other countries, but it is still really cheap worldwide.

Demand in China seems way down, but kind of wild that the price has dropped so much with everything going on in Ukraine/the Middle East during a period of higher general inflation.

Unless you are in California, who still have gas over $5.00 per gallon.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

probably the grocery stores and wholesalers are pocketing that dividend imo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Unless you are in California, who still have gas over $5.00 per gallon.

we're used to it, and frankly i'm fine with the higher price if it means i don't have to deal with the kind of smog hellscapes you see in pictures from the 1970s and 80s

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What are those farmers doing with all those corn and sugar subsidies?!?

If Law and Order :doink: is a reliable news source, and who are you to tell me they aren't, large amounts of opioids and fentanyl

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

10 cent Thursday discount and a 20 cents per gallon discount with my grocery card point discount and I got gas for $2.79 cents per gallon today.

:eyepop:

Napkin math tells me thats around $0.73/L, exactly half what gas costs up here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In the PNW I was blown away by paying less than 4 dollars a gallon around Christmas time. It has been up over 5 for quite a while

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah Ive seen the price in Vancouver and Seattle, its crazy.

The goal to reach 100% of new cars sold being electric by 2035 seems way too optimistic but I really hope they make it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm clinging to my 2007 Toyota Corolla because it has just a little over 100k miles on it and is in fantastic shape, but we are planning to trade that in with the Subaru Outback we inherited from my mom when she moved overseas, and get an electric or a hybrid. My partner has been gunshy about electric because of charging but I think I am going to remind her that I pay the electric bill.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone in my household got an id.4 recently and is liking it

i'm going to hangon to my lovely used versa until it falls apart, but at this point it would feel a bit weird to be to get a new car and not have it at least be a hybrid

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RIP Yipes.

quote:

We are sad to announce that Fruit Stripe Gum has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Ferrara Candy announced that FSG has been permanently discontinued.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
where will we source our temporary tatoos now?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

where will we source our temporary tatoos now?

In heaven, along with a full set of Homies and those sticky gel hand toys.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I enjoy my Suzuki Ignis, it is a car too cool for america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
what the gently caress!