Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
I unironically do want stainless steel countertops and backsplashes but I know I'm crazy and it most likely will never happen anyway.

just a dog poo poo snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tumblr hype man posted:

I unironically do want stainless steel countertops and backsplashes but I know I'm crazy and it most likely will never happen anyway.

just a dog poo poo snipe.
I know they're now known to be unsanitary, but I still miss my parents' 1970s kitchen where the entire countertop was butcherblock. You could swoop hot pans off the stove and on to the counter. You could chop anywhere on the counter, which was great in, say, canning season. You could get huge stains around the sink.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Our kitchen has butcher block counters but we still use cutting boards and hot pads etc. The main downside as far as I can tell is that you're supposed to oil them every month or two. Otherwise I like the look and they're pretty cheap.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The faucets with the big exposed springs get so gross, even with cleaning you really gotta get after the nooks. I prefer the high arc ones that just let a hose slide inside of them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone have a good resource (YT vids, books, etc) on repairing bathroom sinks? I noticed that my wife's sink in the master bath has a plunger that pulls like halfway down into the pipe, has no sealing gaskets (probably rotted off?), and the metal edge around the hole was held in place by wishes and dreams as opposed to any actual sealant or adhesive.

I could take an uninformed swing at it, but wherever water is involved I prefer to do some reading/watching first.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

The faucets with the big exposed springs get so gross, even with cleaning you really gotta get after the nooks. I prefer the high arc ones that just let a hose slide inside of them.

So you need a second faucet to clean your faucet?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Haven't had the best experience with home depot doing work, mostly because they just contracted to the shittiest dudes possible, probably for the lowest wages they would accept.

I guess if you aren't able to scout out the contractors yourself though....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Post a photo of your sink and it's mounting system

If you're brave you can just scrape the sealant off the marble and sink, apply 3M 5200 and it'll become permanently attached to the counter top (don't do this it will literally never come apart) but if option B is shell out for a new countertop and sink maybe it's a good solution that doesn't involve a 2x4 until you can find someone to fix everything

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Half of my countertops are butcher block and half are (fairly old) tile. I basically assume both are unsanitary at all times and generally use cutting boards or other washable prep surfaces unless I literally just sanitized it. And of course the sink is in the middle of the tile ones for maximum moldy grout opportunities! But I do appreciate being able to put hot pots and pans directly on the butcher block. I have a gas range that gets really hot on top when I use the oven, so being able to plop pans directly on the counter and work on them without the unevenness of using hotpads that are smaller than the plan is nice.

At some point I'll replace the tile ones with quartz or whatever, but that's pretty far down the list of to-dos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People who don't use cutting boards or some other mobile and easy to clean prep surface are insane imo and I don't care what their countertop is made of

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My PO put in some ikea butcher block in the section of counter on the opposite side of the stove and it seems fine-ish. Something that is weird is that it has that flush glass cooktop. The weird part is that the house has gas, and just 10 feet away from the cooktop is a closet sort of thing for the laundry that has a gas hookup (as well as an appliance outlet). I have no idea why they bothered to support a gas (or electric) dryer in 1986, but not a gas range.

More relevant my sink also sucks, it is too shallow and has a static faucet, but most of all it is a bout a foot back from the edge of the counter as it is in a corner and they pushed it back enough to allow the dishwasher to go in to the right on the proper 90° angle from the left of the sink counter. Part of me thinks I could try and find a narrower (and deeper) sink and just move it forward and do some lovely fill for the now gaps made by that. I don’t give a poo poo about the lovely vinyl counter and as mentioned above I am a goon. It loving hurts my back though to have to bend forward so much to do dishes for any extended amount of time. Not sure how much actual variance in sink dimensions there is though, especially for something that wouldn’t really be used for more than a couple years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The standard countertop height is too short for me and a lot of people, what with it having been set when Americans were shorter. If I had $$$ and lots of space, all the cabinets would be taller, apart from a wheelchair-accessible area.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like how you can pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house and the door handles are still crooked. Also the master has a double door with a peg on the bottom of the door to hold it in place, but the peg-hole is on the ceiling. I don't think a single door latches properly. Just amazing, worth every penny.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Thankfully you too can spend hours and hours of your life on this planet fixing these minor annoyances.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Ah, vacation roulette. What do you have in store for us?

Got back from Christmas vacation on Sunday. Took a quick run around the house, all seemed good. Monday rolls around, and my morning shower was... not hot. Not cold, just warm enough to not be annoying. Put off checking it out because I have a million chores to catch up on, and it wasn't cold cold, so how bad could it be?

After lunch I go to the garage and see a small puddle under the water heater.

There's gently caress #1.

Investigate and don't see any leaks from the usual suspects... drain and pressure relief seem dry as a bone. Eventually find water pooled around the hot water outlet on top, so there's a bona fide leak somewhere. Call around to find a plumber, but nobody's available because it's a holiday and last minute. Decide to try to re-light the thing to try to limp along until I can get someone... but I can't even get the igniter to spark. Take a flashlight to the burner chamber and see quite a bit of moisture inside.

And there's gently caress #2.

Have to guess that the leak extinguished the pilot, and there was too much moisture to allow the igniter to spark and re-light anything. Just as well, the leak probably would have just extinguished it soon enough anyhow, and who knows what hot water/higher pressure would have done to the leak.

Finally get a hold of a plumber late in the day and he agrees based on my phone description that the thing is toast, but the only unit he has on hand is a dented unit he got for free, and he's pretty sure the supply house was closed. So I can either have a probably-leaky unit for cheap (plus install costs), or wait a day and get a brand new unit.

I decided to wait a day. He's coming at noon today. Guess I can't complain on a less than 24 hour turn around.

This morning I took a very, very cold shower.

Happy New Year, now cough up some money!

Struensee posted:

Thankfully you too can spend hours and hours of your life on this planet fixing these minor annoyances.

Or you can put it off long enough to where it just becomes background noise.

Ya know... speaking for a friend here. Certainly not something I or anyone here would do.

edit:

So the expansion tank was toast as well. He was going to replace it anyhow as part of the quote, but he checked it by pressing on the air valve and water sprayed out, so that's cool.

And also he noticed that the regulator, next to the expansion tank, was old looking and the adjustment nut was corroded and cranked all the way down. Suspicious, he thought, so he checked one of the hose bibbs and got 90 psi... soo yeah, looks like we're getting a new regulator too! :homebrew:

All this naturally leaves me wondering if they were contributors to the water heater failing. I mean, not sure it matters I suppose, but I guess I'm wondering if I need to be more on top of maintenance on those things to prevent other issues.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 2, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

PainterofCrap posted:

If it's nothing else, then you could remove the drain assembly with a drain wrench and load it up with plumber's putty.

As Hadlock said: That's a poorly-taped seam between two sheets of drywall, either two full sheets, or an old repair access from a prior leak. It's hard to tell from the knockdown finish on the ceiling, but if it was leaking you would see stains along the crack. It's common for this area to have prior patches from previous leak issues; one of the joys of indoor plumbing.

Insulation can complicate discovery as the absorbent qualities will retard discovery for a bit.

Well I ended up just having my plumber come out and take a look. He appreciated the troubleshooting I'd done already and had been preparing to cut into the basement ceiling drywall but figured we'd landed on the drain assembly as a good likely culprit. He changed it out (and the overflow drain as well). The drain gasket was noticably folded under in a spot when he uncovered it, so that's probably what it was. In retrospect I could've done it myself, with the very helpful advice you gave me, but I also am still getting over a sinus infection so I'll just count the $565 bill (Bay Area prices, and he's older with health issues so his son always accompanies him -- I'd rather keep supporting him and have a plumber I trust than have to shop around to save a couple hundred on labor every few years) as the cost of doing business and appreciate having it done professionally. He also ended up fabricating a solution for the overflow drain cover to reattach to, since the original metal was stripped out (probably original to 1920).

Muir fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 3, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, sink update:

Home Depot said they do not do sink installs (or any type of installation). They have software to find contractors, though. They used it to find anyone willing to install a sink in my city, and found a grand total of one person (from the other side of the state) - a person I'd tried and failed to contact already on my own in an earlier attempt. I went through the service sign up process and they told me I should hear back within 24 hours, and that was three days ago, and no word back.

So that approach was a bust so far, but maybe I'm still doing something wrong?

I did check out sinks and try to figure out what I'd need to do to install a drop in sink myself, but it doesn't look feasible unless I want to learn to cut granite countertops properly to get a roughly rectangular sink hole (my current sink cutout is not, and would not fit any of the sinks I found for sale that I could determine). Which, who knows, maybe that's what I should be doing. That or going with the earlier mentioned suggestion of permanently attaching the current sink to the underside with the boat superglue, I suppose, which would at least fix most of the leaking and "held up by 2x4s" problems I suppose, but might make my eventual plans to "get the sinks to drain reliably" more difficult? Although maybe not, I suppose that's the problems with the piping rather than the sink itself and it wouldn't need to be moved...).

PerniciousKnid posted:

I like how you can pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house and the door handles are still crooked. Also the master has a double door with a peg on the bottom of the door to hold it in place, but the peg-hole is on the ceiling. I don't think a single door latches properly. Just amazing, worth every penny.

Half the cabinet doors for the house I bought didn't open when I got the house (because they were built in a way that meant they were blocked by another door handle or appliance) and I had to remove and reattach them from the opposite side with different handles to put stuff away in my pantry. I also had to rework the latches on every exterior door and half the interior doors because the latch holes weren't remotely lined up with the latches and so the doors only closed by using the deadbolt. It really is impressive.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 5, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

So, sink update:

Home Depot said they do not do sink installs (or any type of installation). They have software to find contractors, though. They used it to find anyone willing to install a sink in my city, and found a grand total of one person (from the other side of the state)

Maybe consider my (really lovely) suggestion to apply 3M 5200 and then use a jack to hold it in place for 48 hrs. Just make drat sure you like the color/shape/finish of the sink because it's never coming off. Use lots of masking tape once 5200 touches something it never comes off. Used as a permanent watertight adhesive in boat construction very slightly (almost imperceptibly) flexible

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I said I was considering that and I actually genuinely am, hah. Like with so many of my woodworking projects, maybe apply glue really is just the solution?

Got a followup message from Home Depot saying they apologize the person was unwilling to do the work and that they couldn't find anyone else to do it, so confirmation that's not happening.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Half the cabinet doors for the house I bought didn't open when I got the house (because they were built in a way that meant they were blocked by another door handle or appliance) and I had to remove and reattach them from the opposite side with different handles to put stuff away in my pantry. I also had to rework the latches on every exterior door and half the interior doors because the latch holes weren't remotely lined up with the latches and so the doors only closed by using the deadbolt. It really is impressive.

I bought my house from the previous owner so all the stuff wrong with it is just the stuff the previous owner didn't think was worth fixing.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

It's a terrible website for old people to be cranky and racist, but nextdoor has actually been really useful for me as a new homeowner in a new area. We've gotten great recommendations for a lot of people when I've asked and I have been very happy with the quality and price of work so far. I usually contact the top 2 or 3 for quotes or more info.

Just make sure you do the usual checks of people's credentials, licenses, and insurance like anywhere else.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PerniciousKnid posted:

I bought my house from the previous owner so all the stuff wrong with it is just the stuff the previous owner didn't think was worth fixing.

Hey I did that too. They had lived here since new and did nearly nothing so there's not much wrong that wasn't always wrong.

One surprise I did get last year when I cut out a space for a double gang outlet box and ran wire was discovering a bad drywall patch including old balled up newspaper for support.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Douche4Sale posted:

It's a terrible website for old people to be cranky and racist, but nextdoor has actually been really useful for me as a new homeowner in a new area. We've gotten great recommendations for a lot of people when I've asked and I have been very happy with the quality and price of work so far. I usually contact the top 2 or 3 for quotes or more info.

Just make sure you do the usual checks of people's credentials, licenses, and insurance like anywhere else.

Nextdoor and Facebook town groups have been a waste of time for me.

90% of the recommendations are just the spouse plugging their partners company.

“Sheila smith said: check out Smith plumbing llc. jay is a great guy and honest!”

Shiela smith: married to: Jay smith.

It’s loving annoying.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nwin posted:

Nextdoor and Facebook town groups have been a waste of time for me.

90% of the recommendations are just the spouse plugging their partners company.

“Sheila smith said: check out Smith plumbing llc. jay is a great guy and honest!”

Shiela smith: married to: Jay smith.

It’s loving annoying.

I found a plumber on Facebook because he was being plugged by his ex-wife so I figured it must be legit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PerniciousKnid posted:

I found a plumber on Facebook because he was being plugged by his ex-wife so I figured it must be legit.

That spousal support has to come from somewhere!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I knew my childhood self was dead when I got so loving excited about this

Extremely dumb question: I don't currently have a dishwasher but this is going to go into a slot right next to the sink which has a garbage disposal with a dishwasher "take off" port thing, whatever you wanna call it. Right now it's just a unoccupied male hose fitting, I can't see directly down it because of the way it's positioned and I can't get my head back there but is there a plug or something in that that I need to remove inside? I was going to just pull the entire garbage disposal down and figure it out but if I could get a quick answer it would be nice to avoid having to do that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cr0y posted:

I knew my childhood self was dead when I got so loving excited about this

Extremely dumb question: I don't currently have a dishwasher but this is going to go into a slot right next to the sink which has a garbage disposal with a dishwasher "take off" port thing, whatever you wanna call it. Right now it's just a unoccupied male hose fitting, I can't see directly down it because of the way it's positioned and I can't get my head back there but is there a plug or something in that that I need to remove inside? I was going to just pull the entire garbage disposal down and figure it out but if I could get a quick answer it would be nice to avoid having to do that.

You'll have to pull it out anyway because yeah there's probably a plug in that hole you'll have to knock out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1onauylIU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My 20 year old work horse of a dryer stopped working last night. I figured out how to open it up, after some trial and error and finding the manual online. Turns out there were just some socks stuck in the blower motor, after my wife accidentally ran it for a few minutes with the lint filter taken out. It gave me an opportunity to vacuum out some of the insides, which I'd been meaning to do anyways, and now we're back to cooking drying with gas.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There’s a knockout; if the disposal is oriented for a maximum amount of clearance for the operation, you might be able to stick a good-sized 1” bolt in the nipple against the plug with enough space to smack it with a hammer. It shouldn’t take much to pop it open.

I did it in place when I installed the Bosch. The plug will wind up on the floor of the disposal; if you use a bolt, it might slide in there as well. You’ll see them when you look down the drain.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

There’s a knockout; if the disposal is oriented for a maximum amount of clearance for the operation, you might be able to stick a good-sized 1” bolt in the nipple against the plug with enough space to smack it with a hammer. It shouldn’t take much to pop it open.

I did it in place when I installed the Bosch. The plug will wind up on the floor of the disposal; if you use a bolt, it might slide in there as well. You’ll see them when you look down the drain.

I'll probably just pull it all apart and figure it out, The red circle is the hookup and the yellow arrow is the next slot over where the dishwasher will go. I can't tell, is the takeoff for the drain a separate piece from the dishwasher thingy? Like would I be able to spin that part around 180°? I'll dig into it when I have some free time but I figured it's probably a standard part and you guys might know

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It does spin right off but it's a tongue-based mechanism, and you've really got to get your whole mouth on there for it to work

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cr0y posted:

I'll probably just pull it all apart and figure it out, The red circle is the hookup and the yellow arrow is the next slot over where the dishwasher will go. I can't tell, is the takeoff for the drain a separate piece from the dishwasher thingy? Like would I be able to spin that part around 180°? I'll dig into it when I have some free time but I figured it's probably a standard part and you guys might know

There’s a thrust / lock washer that holds the unit suspended under the drain cage. The top of your red circle is just touching it.

You don’t need to remove it to pop out the plug. If you have other reasons, then there’s a z-shaped wrench that fits in to that barrel-shaped projection that the bottom of the yellow arrowhead is pointing at, which is designed to provide the leverage to turn the lock washer. In a pinch you can use a screwdriver. The drain assembly is left in place.

Otherwise, just disconnect the trap (remove the white accordion part). The entire unit can be spun in place, which will let you turn the dishwasher inlet towards you so you could stick a long screwdriver in there & pop it out with a hammer tap. Then just rotate it back & away you go.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 5, 2024

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Soon after I moved into my current place, the garbage disposal jammed. I couldn't figure out the cause, but then after I started it up again, it spit out a 3/4 " metal disk - always wondered what that was!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So I think I can say its confirmed at this point that there does not exist anyone willing to install a new sink unless its part of a larger remodel, and none of the drop ins will fit what I have now and I dont want to cut stone to do it myself, so yeah, gonna go with the glue approach later this week and just commit to this lovely sink for the forseeable future

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good luck.

You know, we’re all pulling for you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'll let you know how it all goes wrong

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
If you are going the 3M 5200 route, make sure you have disposable gloves, a big box of rags, and a good amount of acetone ready for cleanup of the inevitable mess.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

So I think I can say its confirmed at this point that there does not exist anyone willing to install a new sink unless its part of a larger remodel, and none of the drop ins will fit what I have now and I dont want to cut stone to do it myself, so yeah, gonna go with the glue approach later this week and just commit to this lovely sink for the forseeable future

Feels like I get this for every small project these days, not enough skill to go around and I’m an idiot so I just live with subpar stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

sink , so yeah, gonna go with the glue approach later this week

:krakentoot:

yeah wear gloves with 5200. it doesn't smell much but it's never coming off your hands if you don't wear gloves. it has a tendency to string and smear if you try and "fix" any gently caress ups. My favorite two phrases about the stuff is "it could glue ice cream to the sun" and "it could glue poop to peanut butter"

post pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Random reminder to check your sump pump to make sure the float valve isn't stuck and not actually floating. Totally random, I swear.