Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

goon watching the concluding episodes of an altimer tv show, in which the painstaking buildup, character work, and foreshadowing of the first two-thirds of the series are paying out like loose slots at the whistling river: this is my favorite one so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

panko posted:

goon watching the concluding episodes of an altimer tv show, in which the painstaking buildup, character work, and foreshadowing of the first two-thirds of the series are paying out like loose slots at the whistling river: this is my favorite one so far.

Perhaps all that stuff you said about the show is why I enjoyed the most recent ep so well thanks for elaborating :)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it’s mostly commentworthy because it wasn’t just you who said it

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

I forgot how great the intro to the Hell Yeah music video is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjSq4HqP9Y

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It is a strong intro to the music video. I don't know for sure but watching them both I think it's inspired by the introduction to the found footage style movie Gang Tapes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_Tapes

Pretty good movie if you've never seen it before, nothing like The Curse though obviously.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TwoDayLife posted:

I forgot how great the intro to the Hell Yeah music video is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjSq4HqP9Y

So much happens in that ep I forgot about Nathan singing over hell yeah lol. When he sings “do you wanna get paid my N word.” I think my dick disappeared into my body.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

apophenium posted:

That was easily my favorite episode so far. I've had friends like Dougie before and being around them gave me so much anxiety. Safdie and Fielder have really impressed. I couldn't imagine anyone else nailing those roles like they have. And of course Emma Stone... What a hell of a show.

same- it's really coming together and that was not a guarantee when this show started

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

So much happens in that ep I forgot about Nathan singing over hell yeah lol. When he sings “do you wanna get paid my N word.” I think my dick disappeared into my body.

Hearing him sing that got me to laugh out loud. I'm surprised they didn't have dougie say something like "It's just us in the car dude, you can say it. It's not a big deal." as one more demonstration of him being a douchebag as with everything else in the long sequence.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
augh whitney makes my skin crawl especially after her mask-off scene at asher.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

augh whitney makes my skin crawl especially after her mask-off scene at asher.

the jeans theft payments becoming a contemporary art piece in her mind had me absolutely rolling

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
It's pretty cool how you get a proper sense of what Cara's screaming exhibit means to her at the same time as she's explaining it to Whitney while Whitney is committing the exact thing the exhibit is about.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

snoremac posted:

It's pretty cool how you get a proper sense of what Cara's screaming exhibit means to her at the same time as she's explaining it to Whitney while Whitney is committing the exact thing the exhibit is about.

"I mean, you can tell me. You've got to tell me. Were we supposed to eat the turkey?" is one of my favorite moments from the show. I was cackling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

the jeans theft payments becoming a contemporary art piece in her mind had me absolutely rolling

LMAO and how quickly she slid from that to talking directly to Cara about how they both started being artists at the same time, and how she views her putting Cara's art in her homes as a collaboration. They had a bunch of funny shots of her pretending to be thoughtful about the World Market poo poo in the house.

I also cut up at her "amazing... amazing" response asking the random old guy working in private security. I want Asher, Whitney, and Dougie clockwork orange'd to a chair forced to watch a supercut of all their low and fake moments.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That was a ROUGH watch.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
god drat.

give nathan an emmy

e: lmao saw someone elsewhere point out that of course there aren't any cameras around in the bowling alley to catch Asher actually being talented at anything

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 5, 2024

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ, Emma Stone's face at the end of this one

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
The final scene

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
At this point it feels like the kundalini yoga cult is just eerie set dressing, but Corbin Bernsen did say Yogi Bhajan, the 3HO guy, tried to gently caress his wife . Maybe some more parallels between their relationships. Can’t wait to see the finale.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
Wow, that was an episode. I actually said "Jesus Christ" out loud to my television.

This may end up being one of the greatest and worst things I have ever seen.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is the show over yet? I've been saving this to binge. I saw the first ep it came out and got annoyed that there wasn't a next ep yet I want my (I assume) misery in one shot

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol I only just realized that Whit's mom voiced Patti Mayonnaise in Doug

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just love Dougie being in the room during that entire scene. Unbelievable. Whitney is the biggest monster in any 2023 show, in a year that includes mushroom zombies in The Last of Us.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Go get ‘em, girl!

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
I loving hated watching that, it was horrible.

10/10 would hate watching again.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Artelier posted:

Is the show over yet? I've been saving this to binge. I saw the first ep it came out and got annoyed that there wasn't a next ep yet I want my (I assume) misery in one shot

Next week's episode is the finale

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just love Dougie being in the room during that entire scene.

Also a fan of the weird dynamic shift in the whole episode where Dougie is suddenly comfortably the most normal one of the main trio. Just shifting into regular TV producer mode in the presence of the network exec after weeks of being a chaos demon

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I hope I never see that last scene again in my life.

I also cannot wait for the finale.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"But the succulents aren't the only thing indigenous to this land"

*native governor drives up, stereotypical music plays*

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PostNouveau posted:

"But the succulents aren't the only thing indigenous to this land"

*native governor drives up, stereotypical music plays*

a master class

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
What was up with Phoebe pulling out some of her hair and then getting really nervous while talking to Whit? The scoring seemed to change to something a bit more sinister at that point too

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

^^ I didn't think that was hair but I was watching on a small screen.^^

That was a great episode, can't wait to see how this thing concludes next week. Love how Whitney is now cursed to be with Asher if she wants her show.

Anyone else thinking Dougie is doing a documentary on Whitney and her slumlord parents?

Looked like a microphone fell out of the womans hair who was talking to Whitney about her parents being evicted. All the 4th wall breaks I remember have involved Whitney in some way. A line from Marjorie in the last episode really stuck with me. She said "If you look deep down enough you can find something bad in anyone." People usually say that the other way around and saying it to Whitney is another person saying they see her for who she really is.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Man, Dougie was really going to town on that edamame or whatever it was.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Every queen needs her jester" is another banger line

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just love Dougie being in the room during that entire scene. Unbelievable. Whitney is the biggest monster in any 2023 show, in a year that includes mushroom zombies in The Last of Us.

It really means something when someone as revolting as Dougie is so visibly disgusted with what he's watching. What a loving episode, give all three of them every possible Emmy.

"Those bowls are pricey, huh"

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 5, 2024

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

By this point, it's fair to assume that Nathan Fielder has made the whole show as a pretense to suddenly stand behind me while I finish watching it. You and everyone else is in on it.

thinkin bout this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I want to watch the last episode of this show and then never watch or think about it ever again.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
God this show is so awful and uncomfortable. I need to see where it goes but I also need it to just get there so I can cleanse this curse from my mind.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Emma Stone just sitting there while hearing Nathan in the next room practice asking Bill if he'd want to gently caress her and say that he'd want to watch him gently caress her :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was starting to get the vibe that Dougie make the call to pull the pottery stuff once he saw it and the note didn't come from HGTV at all. There was just something about the way he was shifting all the blame to them and acting completely powerless, right after showing him lying to HGTV about the couple.

A Dougie redemption arc sure would be something but I'm not holding my breath nor do I think I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wow dude, Nathan can really act.