Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fanfic insert posted:

that was me joking :negative:

it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

010124_3
Jan 2, 2024
an excruciating, 10 minute, "time to close my laptop and gather my things" whineddown period

chair lunch dinner
Apr 30, 2009

didnt know there was an autism thread till now. whats up fuckers

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

chair lunch dinner posted:

didnt know there was an autism thread till now. whats up fuckers

what flavor do you have

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im diagnosed add and i didnt ever think that i had autism until i started becoming friends with very autistic people and they just assumed i was autistic and then i met my wife who is a disability worker who specializes in looking after very high assistance autistic dudes and she also assumed i was autistic albeit not requiring assistance and so now i kind of just assume they were right bc that poo poo is expensive to get dxed and people i tell have absolutely no trouble believing it and just assuming a lot of peoples brains work dramatically different to my own explains an absolute shitload about my life to date

e: i am also in customer service and am very good at it bc people are super easy to understand once u stop trying to relate to them specifically based on your own experiences

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Jan 2, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
hell yeah, welcome friend

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

mags posted:

1) never stop writing: save everything you write.
2) edit edit edit

everyone has garbage first drafts. most of us have garbage drafts after that before it’s readable. for me it’s overcoming the somewhat ableist expectations of savantism. as a kid I was “gifted” and “genius” etc but hey come to find out I’m actually pretty average in that I’m not an instant virtuoso on guitar. turns out it takes years and years of playing for me too.

writing has moments of joy but honestly it is a lot of work of editing and whittling down. the above, the expectations, can be internalized. we become frustrated when something comes out less than perfect. when the notes don’t line up to the idea in our head. when the plot seems too similar to a story I’ve read before. I guess the thing I’ve learned is do it anyway. I want to play guitar so I just push through negative feelings, pick it up, and practice. I might never get to play a sold out show but I am learning a lot about music and falling in love with playing guitar. I enjoy it even when I constantly gently caress it up. want to be a writer? you gotta write stuff.

grab an idea. make a project of it. and see what comes out. if it’s a derivative shitheap, save it anyway. read and learn.

as an aside, this program helps me organize writing projects and manage edits. super powerful. the trial is actually unlimited if you just click past the warnings past the 30 days. https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview

Oh I bought scrivener for my birthday, its very nice. I try to write every day or at least read something, but I have the classic brain bug of getting depressed when I read anything good because I'm jealous of how people like Pynchon and McCarthy can arrange words into something so evocative. I could force myself to read more trash as a confidence boost, but honestly most trash is so loving BORING. I need funny trash

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
the cozy times

Ol sakkman
Sep 28, 2021

by Athanatos

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im diagnosed add and i didnt ever think that i had autism until i started becoming friends with very autistic people and they just assumed i was autistic and then i met my wife who is a disability worker who specializes in looking after very high assistance autistic dudes and she also assumed i was autistic albeit not requiring assistance and so now i kind of just assume they were right bc that poo poo is expensive to get dxed and people i tell have absolutely no trouble believing it and just assuming a lot of peoples brains work dramatically different to my own explains an absolute shitload about my life to date

e: i am also in customer service and am very good at it bc people are super easy to understand once u stop trying to relate to them specifically based on your own experiences

For what it's worth you're autistic with middling masking abilities. Enough to pass but anyone in the know sees it

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
does anyone know any good

word searches

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

source plz

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

my coworker literally didn't show up to work today, i hope she quits without notice so i don't have to talk to her

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

everyone always assumes i'm autistic because i'm a trans woman with poor social skills who used to touch computers for a living and also i have ADHD and i only hang out in autistic spaces but that's all circumstantial evidence, at best

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ol sakkman posted:

For what it's worth you're autistic with middling masking abilities. Enough to pass but anyone in the know sees it

i cast level 3 detect autism

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Ol sakkman posted:

this is the majority of autists i know personally tbh

Gravid Topiary posted:

everyone always assumes i'm autistic because i'm a trans woman with poor social skills who used to touch computers for a living and also i have ADHD and i only hang out in autistic spaces but that's all circumstantial evidence, at best

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i cast level 3 detect autism

*autism counter starts beeping*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

tokin opposition posted:

*autism counter starts beeping*

*Having a meltdown about the incessant beeping*

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i started crying when my dad accidentally set off a storm warning siren for a golf course i was trying to help him fix inside on christmas day lmao

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
oh are we getting into siren autism now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8j0DwuEgXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpVfttI97Q

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

https://mangadex.org/title/d2d0b8ea-4dfc-4d72-b584-5b26380f9bed/koori-no-jouheki

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
To be fair you hang around enough autistic people for long enough you probably pick up some quirks.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

what kind of jobs have the least social interaction possible that aren't computer jobs

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Whirling posted:

what kind of jobs have the least social interaction possible that aren't computer jobs
The most spectrum-y professional group that I've encountered was medical equipment technicians. They largely work in the basements of hospitals fiddling with electronics, using structured well-documented procedures, ordering parts, record keeping, etc. It requires a 2yr degree.

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Whirling posted:

beekeeping, i am surrounded by an angry cloud of DO NOT APPROACH ME for 6-8 hours a day

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

common misconception,you dont need to put any effort at all and can bulldoze and talk about whatever u feel like. pure power

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

if you want a job where you don't have to talk to people or touch computers being a lumber jack is p sweet. you have some people you need to talk to in order to but they're usually all anti-social so its cool

pros - insanely gay
cons - kind of dangerous

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM

Ol sakkman posted:

Anyone else hold a burning resentment of humanity and specifically the non autistic?

it's performance review time, where the explicit "it's not ok to be autistic" feedback that makes it pretty hard to not just see all neurotypicals as incorrigible bigots, hypocritically enough.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pontificating rear end posted:

You definitely gotta look in peoples' eyes, they know exactly where you're looking. Personally I look away quickly while talking sometimes, but I've become way better at holding eye contact because my default is now to look at peoples' eyes the whole time. I will 'gloss-over' and unfocus my eyes while listening and holding eye contact. People can likely notice that too but to a small extent, and you always gain points for holding eye contact.

And then you lose all the points and then some when you hold the eye contact for a little too long. That's creepy and you're horrible, the whole realm shall hear of this!

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
My dad was autistic. I was just raised that way.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.

OrangéJéllo posted:

beekeeping, i am surrounded by an angry cloud of DO NOT APPROACH ME for 6-8 hours a day

How do you get in on THAT hustle.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
getting medical advice from a dying forum, great idea :thumbsup:

I've got a formal ADHD diagnosis with meds (methylphenidate).

Wasn't assessed, but psych and therapists highlighted autism as possible too.

$2k out of pocket, so I don't want to do it cause:

1) What other meds are there that I couldn't get with ADHD diagnosis already?

2) I prob wouldn't need it for anything work related (ie accommodation).

3) Don't really care whether "I know" or whatever. Pretty sure already.

so is there any real point I'm missing?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Family members will stfu and stop denying you're autistic because they think autism is when you can't speak while doing complex math

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
no they won’t

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
But my mum was a nurse and so when the doctor diagnoses..... Oh

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

are there any good special education programs for autistic people, because the ones in the schools I attended didn't really do that much at all for me. it took me until high school to learn how to mimic everyone around me well enough that other kids left me alone, and it wasn't at all something that they helped with. also, are there any effective anti-bullying techniques schools can do because it seems like people are still trying the strategy of asking dumbass kids to politely consider not bullying a peer

like ugh, its so bleak, I want kids who are growing up to not have such a poo poo time of it but i have not heard of anyone whose school was of much service towards helping them navigate society

Whirling has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jan 5, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i will help anyone itt with becoming a computer toucher and i've found SH/SC's threads to be of immense help

pros: paid a lot of money, get to be a goon at work and nobody notices because the entire industry is on the spectrum
cons: you have to talk to people when starting out
depends on you: you'll never see the sun again

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i would like to change careers to be a computer toucher but I also like talking to people, what can I do without a university degree?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i would like to change careers to be a computer toucher but I also like talking to people, what can I do without a university degree?

tier 1 support

I'd look into getting an CompTIA A+ and then search for IT support technician and similar roles

if ur low income look up Per Scholas, they do free education

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Desktop Support. Lots of computers and other devices to touch, lots of people to talk to. Education requirements are only nominal, I don't use my degree in the slightest. My ability to function at this job comes from building computers and installing Windows since the late 90s, having to follow documentation for game mods written by Finnish teenagers, and doing computers instead of have friends.

You can get the A+ certification if you have absolutely nothing. I never got it because I had the degree. Avoid the allure of getting any more CompTIA certs than that, as they will probably be a waste, hell, I'm not even sure A+ is worth it TBH. Security+ might be worth it if you try to work for the government, but it's 300 bucks, so leave it for later.

People will tell you Desktop Support is a foot in the door. I suppose it is. However 1. You will likely never be able to advance beyond that role in any company no matter what you try 2. You need specific experience in specific things to qualify for specific jobs. Desktop will not qualify you for any higher work than Desktop. I don't know what step 2 even is for this career, I've been doing this for 10 years, it's a dead end job lmao. I got an MS Azure cert in August and will have to leave my current job in May, so that when I'll see if escape from desktop is possible or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And to get the tier 1 job after you got a basic cert, harp on about:

Customer service
Problem solving
Task management
Communication (peers and other teams not just client)
Security minded