Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

KISS. I have never met anyone who doesn't think they suck. Yet they have this huge fandom. Who are these people? Are they real?

I worked with a KISS guy. Like went on the cruises, went to Toronto regularly cuz the "shows were better" on top of going to the Detroit ones... the dude just loved KISS. He grew up with them and he became obsessed and that's just what he does. I don't get it. He'll even admit the music isn't tops but just loves the theatrics and the vibes and lore (???) and poo poo. I don't get it at all, I hate KISS and any of those cult-y classic rock groups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I feel the same way about U2. Who are these huge U2 fans? Was it a brand of gen-X hippie that I just never knew existed?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Lister posted:

I feel the same way about U2. Who are these huge U2 fans? Was it a brand of gen-X hippie that I just never knew existed?

Everyone on my high school's lacrosse team loved U2. Food for thought.

Edit: I was not on the lacrosse team and I despise U2

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lister posted:

I really dug U2 until..... early 2000's?

Zooropa is fantastic, peak "new" U2.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm not a fan but "Love Gun" fucks pretty hard tbh.

Strutter is great too

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don't like The Curse. It's boring.

I'm a huge Nathan Fielder fan and everyone is calling this show one of the best things ever made but yea I agree, it's just boring and uncomfortable and none of the jokes land with me

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

bagmonkey posted:

I worked with a KISS guy. Like went on the cruises, went to Toronto regularly cuz the "shows were better" on top of going to the Detroit ones... the dude just loved KISS. He grew up with them and he became obsessed and that's just what he does. I don't get it. He'll even admit the music isn't tops but just loves the theatrics and the vibes and lore (???) and poo poo. I don't get it at all, I hate KISS and any of those cult-y classic rock groups

I honestly respect that way more than liking KISS for their music. Come to think of it, cheesy theatrics might be the best reason to enjoy anything.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Hello Machine posted:

I honestly respect that way more than liking KISS for their music. Come to think of it, cheesy theatrics might be the best reason to enjoy anything.

it's why I didn't judge him for his thing. that's all it was, his thing. and it wasn't like he didn't get cool experiences out of it, he traveled a ton and had a blast with his family

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Teenagers in the 70s liked KISS because the adults hated them. "Knights In Satan's Service" and all that.

I suppose the people that still like them are coasting on nostalgia.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

KISS were good at marketing. They had the make-up, fireworks, merch etc and would relentlessly tour all the little towns bands never went to.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I do like the song Beth. That's the only KISS song I really care about.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

syntaxfunction posted:

And now Futurama I up to... Something. I'm a massive Futurama fan and I just tapped out of the new episodes early. I just couldn't do it. When they announced they were reviving it again all I could think was "please just let it stay dead".

It's sooooooo bad

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's sooooooo bad
Made it through 2 episodes. It's loving terrible.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i thought i was gonna hate the curse. after one episode i was convinced it was bad, but i kept watching out of morbid curiosity. around episode 3 i was convinced it was actually good. and then an episode or two later i was convinced it was great.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Forrest Gump is one of the most racist movies that I have ever seen. No, you do not need me to explain why-- it's up there on the screen, this is not a debate topic. It's depressing as poo poo.

It's still a movie I would burn from history and I'm not sorry.

i searched to see if i could find any discourse around the topic of the movie being "obviously" racist but only found this

was this you 4 years ago? you won't explain yourself and the reddit poster deleted their post lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i searched to see if i could find any discourse around the topic of the movie being "obviously" racist but only found this

was this you 4 years ago? you won't explain yourself and the reddit poster deleted their post lol

If Redditors disagree with something then it's probably true

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

most redditors would disagree that trump was a good president. does that make it true that he was?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If we're being weirdos then yeah sure

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ShoogaSlim posted:

most redditors would disagree that trump was a good president. does that make it true that he was?

coins occasionally land on edge :shrug:

the media around KISS is way more interesting than KISS itself, plus Gene Simmons is a piece of poo poo

here gently caress it -GUNS AND ROSES Slash is a guitar virtuoso and they made some iconic songs, but things can be iconic and still trash. Also Axl is a garbage person in every sense of the word

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Guns N Roses and their contemporaries are the buttrock of the 80s.

Motley Crue is the Nickelback of the 80s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

emSparkly posted:

Motley Crue is the Nickelback of the 80s.

I don't disagree, but the generic sound of Motley Crue is pleasant whilst the generic sound of Nickelback is so so bad

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
KISS has 24 studio albums, but everyone only knows about 2 or 3 of their songs.

This leaves us with around 238 KISS songs no one has ever heard of, like "Room Service" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFe9sVcAP8

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Extra Large Marge posted:

KISS has 24 studio albums, but everyone only knows about 2 or 3 of their songs.

This leaves us with around 238 KISS songs no one has ever heard of, like "Room Service" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVFe9sVcAP8

Do they still put on the makeup for shows?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I can't help but notice that nobody owned up to liking Nickelback in the sibling thread to this one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Nah, but good job spending way more effort than you needed to say "loser lol?"

Gonna catchphrase it cause you're not worth better-- your feigned illiteracy is not my problem.

Zugzwang posted:

I can't help but notice that nobody owned up to liking Nickelback in the sibling thread to this one.
Even Nickelback fans know Nickelback is not worth dying for.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
While I appreciate them and do not wish to disrespect them, I don't give two shits about sad girl music. I will change the station if boygenius comes on, for example.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

mind the walrus posted:

Nah, but good job spending way more effort than you needed to say "loser lol?"

Gonna catchphrase it cause you're not worth better-- your feigned illiteracy is not my problem.

mind the walrus is one of the most racist posters that I have ever seen. No, you do not need me to explain why-- it's up there on the screen, this is not a debate topic. It's depressing as poo poo.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nickelback is fine. They don't make *good* music, but they make very marketable, easy to consume music. Nothing about them is offensive, just generic. They're the whitest of breads of music.

I'd rather have Nickelback in the background at a store where my brain just tunes it out like elevator music than genuinely annoying or terrible, but confusingly popular songs.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
why do people always listen to default_hihat_3.mp3, usually wearing airpods in public

TSSS TST TSTSTSTSTS TSSS TSSS TSTSTSTSTS

I don't get the appeal of any music that has that as the loudest sound

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

While I appreciate them and do not wish to disrespect them, I don't give two shits about sad girl music. I will change the station if boygenius comes on, for example.

:guillotine:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A lot of music has that as the sound that most easily propagates from an earphone enclosure. I think judging people's taste in music based on the faint noise that escapes their headphones may be giving you some distorted results.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

:hai:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

emSparkly posted:

Guns N Roses and their contemporaries are the buttrock of the 80s.

I saw the video for Welcome To The Jungle recently (where Axl is done up as a very pretty man) and I'm trying to remember why GnR were seen as some sort of punky revolution over the likes of Poison and Motley Crue? I guess their music was a little more "bluesy" thanks to Slash, but it's pretty standard cock rock. The grunge wave did bring them down though, so all good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Montague Tigg posted:

why do people always listen to default_hihat_3.mp3, usually wearing airpods in public

TSSS TST TSTSTSTSTS TSSS TSSS TSTSTSTSTS

I don't get the appeal of any music that has that as the loudest sound

It reminds people of the repeated violent disapproving hisses of The Mother Cat that looks over all humanity with disdain and disgust.

Some people just like to be regularly remind of that, don't know what else to say. :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PizzaProwler posted:

mind the walrus is one of the most racist posters that I have ever seen. No, you do not need me to explain why-- it's up there on the screen, this is not a debate topic. It's depressing as poo poo.
Aw, you had to pull out teeth for this one. Eat more of my unusually hot rear end about it. Really, it's good for your soul.

Chrpno posted:

I saw the video for Welcome To The Jungle recently (where Axl is done up as a very pretty man) and I'm trying to remember why GnR were seen as some sort of punky revolution over the likes of Poison and Motley Crue? I guess their music was a little more "bluesy" thanks to Slash, but it's pretty standard cock rock. The grunge wave did bring them down though, so all good.
Compared to glam metal of the late 80s Guns N Roses were a breath of.... not fresh air but it was going to a dive bar after a full week at a strip club. The change of pace was invigorating.

Grunge was better though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

redshirt posted:

I really dug U2 until..... early 2000's?

Zooropa is fantastic, peak "new" U2.

Zooropa is the only U2 album I'll generally listen to, but most of the band isn't really fond of it apparently, like they tried to experiment a bit and it didn't work out.

I saw them live in 93 in Melbourne, and it's the Zooropa songs I remember best, but they never played them after that tour.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

your feigned illiteracy is not my problem.

show us on the doll where the movie hurt you

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Who cares man? Move on

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Apparently, someone put Forrest Gump on a list of most offensive movies ever along with Birth of Nation lol https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/movies-problematic-offensive-racist-sexist-b2456685.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

As far as the argument about Forrest Gump being racist, I think the main claim you'll find on the hot takes articles is that it's racist because it portrays Gump as oblivious to race or something. It also catches heat because it's viewed as conservative propaganda. That claim at least goes back to when it came out, I think.

You could deconstruct it and find an argument for these things. I think Dave Chapelle even turned down the character of Bubba because he thought it was racist to play a dimwitted black man obsessed with shrimp. That might just be a rumor, though.

It seems like an odd target but it's really not because it's such a popular movie and it seems innocent on the surface, so if you are going to try to make a point about subtle or casual racism or whatever ism you can find in the movie (the portrayal of Jenny) it's a good one to work off of.

F

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 5, 2024