Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm confused because I think I find myself liking this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m confused because I’ve never been on a ship where the bridge wasn’t a place to hang out with a bored mate.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
an actual captains chair on a bridge?????

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
A captain who figured out that up to 20% of his job can be wholesome dicking around?

Nice.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Last deployment I did was the first time on a carrier. They would do daily junior Sailor recognition on the bridge. Candidates would get to drive the ship, have their bio passed as well as recent achievements, get the skipper's coin and a letter sent home. And the fresh baked cookies.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

tacopie posted:

Last deployment I did was the first time on a carrier. They would do daily junior Sailor recognition on the bridge. Candidates would get to drive the ship, have their bio passed as well as recent achievements, get the skipper's coin and a letter sent home. And the fresh baked cookies.

Everything they told us about skimmers is true.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

McNally posted:

I'm confused because I think I find myself liking this guy.

I sent his USS Flagg tweet to a Hawkeye buddy, and he responded "Oh yeah, Chowdah's a great guy, I worked for him back in blah blah"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Dorstein posted:

A captain who figured out that up to 20% of his job can be wholesome dicking around?

Nice.

His twitter feed is actually pretty good for a CO

https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1742762066866221155?s=20

edit:

Hold the loving phone he has a dog on board???
https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1739615869443981488?s=20
https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1738029242737213893?s=20
https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1737421364993069274?s=20

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 5, 2024

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

edit:

Hold the loving phone he has a dog on board???

I've got a buddy onboard who told me that he felt like the therapy dog needed a therapy dog

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I've got a buddy onboard who told me that he felt like the therapy dog needed a therapy dog

3000 people wanting to give you pets is a hard job

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Laranzu posted:

His twitter feed is actually pretty good for a CO

https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1742762066866221155?s=20

That's pretty top tier. :allears:

Big decks get dogs. That's just how it is.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So apparently everything's going just peachy in the Royal Navy: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/royal-marine-linkedin-submarine-admiral-job-listing-l6sc8wm2z

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I actually know a retired Aussie admiral rather well although I don't know if he ever worked in subs. Tempted to forward this job to him.

EDIT: Aww jeez he died last year. gently caress cancer.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The Royal Navy pays like poo poo and their submariners are on sea duty for loving ever. And their SSBNs are averaging over 160 day patrols thanks to HMS Vanguard's ERP turning into a 7 year unplanned refueling. So yeah no surprise they can't retain Trident officers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They're still miles happier than USN submarines, IME.

(Well, I guess their underclass is, guess the nobles could be different)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I only know Vanguard officers but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there's a big divide in job satisfaction between RN SSN and SSBN officers (there certainly is in the USN). Throw in that Helensburgh/Glasgow where they're all stationed are hostile to both the armed forces and to English people. These are dudes that are pumped about their working port visit in fuckin' Kings Bay Georgia.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BWagner_CapGaz/status/1743408704320360882

Atleast he is leaving before he commissioned as a SWO instead of making the fact he couldn't try to go pro right away so surface junior sailors problem.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cerekk posted:

I only know Vanguard officers but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there's a big divide in job satisfaction between RN SSN and SSBN officers (there certainly is in the USN). Throw in that Helensburgh/Glasgow where they're all stationed are hostile to both the armed forces and to English people. These are dudes that are pumped about their working port visit in fuckin' Kings Bay Georgia.

From the drunken stories I heard in the Senior Rates Mess in Faslane, they love to pull into Kings Bay, take leave, and fly to Vegas or Disney.

The most miserable RN sailors I met were on an old Trafalgar class that was in refit in Plymouth.

Astute sailors loved the Virginia class because it's "stealth as fook"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Elviscat posted:

From the drunken stories I heard in the Senior Rates Mess in Faslane, they love to pull into Kings Bay, take leave, and fly to Vegas or Disney.

The most miserable RN sailors I met were on an old Trafalgar class that was in refit in Plymouth.

Did you tell them about the free foot fooks?

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I toured two different V-boats on two different trips to PCAN. Both times, probably 1/5 to 1/4 of the crew was restricted to the boat for missing ship's movement. Getting drunk and going home with American girls is their favorite pastime, and it doesn't sound like the boat puts forth much effort in rounding them up when it's time to leave. (They fully well know these guys have no choice but to return to the boat, given they're stranded in a foreign country.)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/BWagner_CapGaz/status/1743408704320360882

Atleast he is leaving before he commissioned as a SWO instead of making the fact he couldn't try to go pro right away so surface junior sailors problem.

The new rules are wrecking CFB and its great but I never considered what they would do to service academies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lightpole posted:

The new rules are wrecking CFB and its great but I never considered what they would do to service academies.

Yeah the bowl games were a poo poo show this year lol. There’s no way this lasts.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
How do you suppose the transfer portal works for players coming into a service academy?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I mean if this rate the service academy teams are going to become a joke and never ever compete for a title. We have to stop it before that happens

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

It took at least 5 years into my Navy service for friends and family to stop asking if I was excited for the Army Navy game. Why would I give a poo poo about the future terrible junior officers? Plus, I already had an alma mater to root for with Purdue

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Anybody who beats up on midshipmen can't be all bad.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

It took at least 5 years into my Navy service for friends and family to stop asking if I was excited for the Army Navy game. Why would I give a poo poo about the future terrible junior officers? Plus, I already had an alma mater to root for with Purdue

Yeah, I served on submarines and still work on them and last year people kept sending me links to their "submarine-themed" uniforms from the game. I could not give less of a poo poo.

(Not to mention it just looked like an Under Armour ad.)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anathematic posted:

Yeah, I served on submarines and still work on them

I'm sorry :(

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the bowl games were a poo poo show this year lol. There’s no way this lasts.

Every part of college sports is now hosed due to football and bowl season and the playoff are a joke. Theres no way to put it back, they would have to make extreme changes for players to be able to play in bowl games and avoid the transfer portal, as well as give them the incentive to does so, not to mention more games for the playoff and championship. Good for the players, gently caress the system.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I'm sorry :(

Haha, fortunately I only work on sonar and not for the shipyard or any of the maintenance activities. I don't think I could handle that.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CO from one of the cruisers was QB for the Naval Academy in the late 80s or some poo poo. He chucked a football from (I think) the helo deck of the Cape St. George into the hangar bay during an unrep. That was the only cool thing I've ever seen in relation to Army/Navy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’m trying to figure out where this comes from so I can do better than a Facebook link to a nuke meme page

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/LayE6fehcuRdhfKz/

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1746209231173284223

BATARG Sailors and Marines getting hosed like it is the 2011-12 deployment again

Edit:
https://twitter.com/halbritz/status/1746238924475817998

VBSS is no joke; hope they find the guys

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I don't know but I am assuming they keep putting more and more poo poo on guys belts to carry. I remember vividly a chief jumping into a pool with the entire required boarding kit, standing on the bottom, pulling his "positive" inflation and not moving an inch before dumping his belt and swimming to the surface. Carrying 50 lbs of poo poo with 40 lbs of buoyancy is insane.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Godholio posted:

I sent his USS Flagg tweet to a Hawkeye buddy, and he responded "Oh yeah, Chowdah's a great guy, I worked for him back in blah blah"

Small world but Chowdah was Big XO on my first cruise and Farva and I crossed paths. Both are solid Posters, but Chowdah's unbothered Tweets about dogs and cookies while the air wing is actively bombing stuff puts him on a whole other level.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

I don't know but I am assuming they keep putting more and more poo poo on guys belts to carry. I remember vividly a chief jumping into a pool with the entire required boarding kit, standing on the bottom, pulling his "positive" inflation and not moving an inch before dumping his belt and swimming to the surface. Carrying 50 lbs of poo poo with 40 lbs of buoyancy is insane.

Oh yeah, all the bullshit that the VBSS teams are required to carry will make you sink like a loving rock. You gotta ditch everything as soon as you hit the drink, and honestly I'd hope that VBSS dudes train on ditching their gear, but I don't think it's super emphasized from what I remember.

They could carry more buoyancy/bigger lifevests, or meet in the middle with slightly less gear and slightly more vest, but I'm sure the Navy won't do that, preferring instead that you frantically ditch your poo poo as you sink.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’m glad to see that the navy is adopting the merchant marine philosophy to MOB situations: if you hit the drink, you dead

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I’m glad to see that the navy is adopting the merchant marine philosophy to MOB situations: if you hit the drink, you dead

Isn't merchant marine fairly lightly manned so that if you go over the side it would be a while before they notice you gone?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If nobody sees you go over, yeah chances are nobody is going to notice you’re missing until your next watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

orange juche posted:

Isn't merchant marine fairly lightly manned so that if you go over the side it would be a while before they notice you gone?

Watchstanding it would be accountability every ~8 hours between watches, dayworking it would be accountability at 0800, 1300. I usually try to make sure everyone is out of the engine together at 1700 just so I know noone is left down there. Stewards also make a mental note of who's been eating a bit.

Typical manning would be ~20, give or take 5 souls.