Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's actually the weird thing to say (confimed by the empty quoter lol). I'm not debating anybody or being obstinate I'm just having an extended (maybe obnoxious) digression about the John Wick series.

Anyway I look forward to plotting out the rest of my lifespan in Batman and Spider-Man films.

:pwn:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

I have no idea what the story is at this point because they take like four paragraphs to say that Keanu made some deals with the devil for reasons and for some reason the most recent one is like two and a half hours long, but also they thought seriously how Donnie Yen would fight if he was blind and it's really cool.

Did you see JW 2 and JW 3? The story is about as simple as it can get. John Wick killed a guy who was a super important person in this underground organized crime organization, and they're hunting him down for it. But of course they constantly fail because he's John Wick. There's nothing to be confused about unless you just dropped into JW 4 without any context.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

Did you see JW 2 and JW 3? The story is about as simple as it can get. John Wick killed a guy who was a super important person in this underground organized crime organization, and they're hunting him down for it. But of course they constantly fail because he's John Wick. There's nothing to be confused about unless you just dropped into JW 4 without any context.

John's an assassin who's a member of the big assassin's club. Him killing super important people is fine and dandy. John's instead being hunted down because he violated the underground organized crime organization sanctuary rules. This leads him to seek amends from the secret bedouin boss assassin, who assigns him the mission to kill an old coworker, who talks his way out of being assassinated by offering to team up with John only to backstab him immediately afterwards, only to maybe actual team up with him for real to get rid of the people who are trying to oust them for failing to uphold the underground organized crime organization sanctuary rules back two movies ago.

When you lay things out, JWs 3 and 4 is just an extended montage of John being played by everyone around him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

John's an assassin who's a member of the big assassin's club. Him killing super important people is fine and dandy.
Also in a related note it's most entertaining when they're French dandies and aristocrats imo. Just some exasperated stupid character like the Eighth Marquis of the Holy Gun or whatever getting slapped down ala JW4, that stuff is fun.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

I didn't even actively dislike Ghost in the Shell or Snow White and the Huntsman, but I can't imagine this turning out well. Both of those movies were weird in a bland kind of way, which would be death to aThe Crow movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jerkface posted:

didnt he just release a movie? He works and makes stuff so I think at least one of them will happen :v:

the movie he just released was a massive bomb, 10 million box office from a 15 million dollar budget, maybe a career killer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Things that Taika Waititi officially has on his plate:

Movies:
Klara and the Sun
Akira
We're Wolves
Star Wars
Flash Gordon
The Incal

TV shows:
Continuing Our Flag Means Death
Time Bandits
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Oompa Loompa (which is separate from the above)
Interior Chinatown

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the movie he just released was a massive bomb, 10 million box office from a 15 million dollar budget, maybe a career killer.

And Thor: Love and Thunder missed a lot of the critical shine his first Thor and Jojo Rabbit had. I don’t know if he’s the darling anymore.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That's actually the weird thing to say (confimed by the empty quoter lol). I'm not debating anybody or being obstinate I'm just having an extended (maybe obnoxious) digression about the John Wick series.

Anyway I look forward to plotting out the rest of my lifespan in Batman and Spider-Man films.

:pwn:

You just keep repeating yourself by prasing HK action films without any elaboration on what you like about them while poorly dunking on John Wick. You made the same point multiple times. You even realize you’re being obnoxious, so It’s definitely weird.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Things that Taika Waititi officially has on his plate:

Movies:
Klara and the Sun
Akira
We're Wolves
Star Wars
Flash Gordon
The Incal

TV shows:
Continuing Our Flag Means Death
Time Bandits
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Oompa Loompa (which is separate from the above)
Interior Chinatown

Don’t forget he’s announced a sequel to the WWDitS movie as well.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Jesus posted:

You just keep repeating yourself by prasing HK action films without any elaboration on what you like about them while poorly dunking on John Wick. You made the same point multiple times. You even realize you’re being obnoxious, so It’s definitely weird.
What a weird post lol

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Thor Ragnarok is my favorite MCU movie and I haven't even bothered to watch L&T. There's a lot of reasons, but "Waititi directing the God Butcher story" was such an immediate no on its own.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1742993503548817528

:negative:

Good Time and Uncut Gems are so loving good

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Imagine Chris Pratt attempting to pull a Tom Hardy, playing both Garfield and John.

Anyway, 2023 box office Top 10.

Wild to see what movies best the MCU this year.

Not sure how Antman could be #10 on the highest grossing list and like #7 on the biggest bombs of the list. I know Variety reported it needed $600M to break even but that seems like really fuzzy math for a movie with a $200M budget.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not sure how Antman could be #10 on the highest grossing list and like #7 on the biggest bombs of the list. I know Variety reported it needed $600M to break even but that seems like really fuzzy math for a movie with a $200M budget.

All the marvel movie budgets read like extreme money laundering situations. Like the marvels cost 240 mil? Yea nah, I saw the movie. Theres not 240 million dollars in that flick. A quarter of the movie takes place in Kamala's house and they dont even go outside to greater new jersey or whatever.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I hope they can come to an amicable joint custody agreement regarding Adam Sandler.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

God darn am I mad Dune 2 isn’t out yet. What a bs push back

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jerkface posted:

All the marvel movie budgets read like extreme money laundering situations. Like the marvels cost 240 mil? Yea nah, I saw the movie. Theres not 240 million dollars in that flick. A quarter of the movie takes place in Kamala's house and they dont even go outside to greater new jersey or whatever.
If you think that's bad, they spent like $120 mil on the Secret Invasion series, which apparently is because they had a lot of CGI that didn't work well enough and had to be covered up late in production. This even though the show is mostly filmed in and around London and has like three major action scenes in the whole thing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ohhh nooooo...first the coens now this, hopefully it ends up better (Drive-Away Dolls could be great tho who knows I haven't even watched the trailer).

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Cinematic universes are appealing to studios because they can rearrange the costs and profits of multiple productions however they like because they are all linked.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bar Crow posted:

Cinematic universes are appealing to studios because they can rearrange the costs and profits of multiple productions however they like because they are all linked.

Yeah but the thing about it is that none of them are ever cheap. It stands to reason that if a company spends 1 billion on 4 films, and "moves" a bunch of money to one of the films, the other three would look comparatively cheap. All the Marvel stuff is wildly expensive! There aren't any cheap ones.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Disney's budgets are all inflated, there's a bunch of reasons but I think last minute and rush FX meddling combined with some films under covid film conditions (I think The Marvels was filmed that way, it also had a bunch of delays that can inflate budgets too) are one of the big causes atm

The Marvels was ok, the switching stuff was fun and it was nice and short, but it has a phase 1 terrible villain and devolved into a glowy light fight. Ant-Man 3 was a weird Phantom Menace riff and pretend I'm posting that tweet about Phantomcore being a thing in the future because it is now and it's Disney

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jerkface posted:

It went through three rounds of reshoots even late in production after some CGI work was already done and was tinkered with endlessly up until release. It was originally slated to release nine months earlier. Marvel was used to this strategy because they used to be able to poo poo in their hand and fling it on a screen and they’d still get a 90% Tomatometer and a billion at the box office so franchise continuity and synergy mattered more. Now they actually have to make their movies appeal to people to find success and they have to change or die.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 5, 2024

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It's insane to remember that the combined budget for the original LOTR trilogy was only $281M and then compare it to poo poo like this. Yes of course a portion of that is reusing sets and costuming and certain CGI but still.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
an oompa loompa tv show? why?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pirate Jet posted:

It went through three rounds of reshoots even late in production after some CGI work was already done and was tinkered with endlessly up until release. It was originally slated to release nine months earlier. Marvel was used to this strategy because they used to be able to poo poo in their hand and fling it on a screen and they’d still get a 90% Tomatometer and a billion at the box office so franchise continuity and synergy mattered more. Now they actually have to make their movies appeal to people to find success and they have to change or die.

It's going to be fun watching marvel lose a few billion as they slowly begin to realize they had little idea what made their first lot of movies so super popular in the first place.

If it kills off the genre of $250-300 million dollars boring cgi sludge films, all the better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think the idea that the Marvel movies have taken some kind of hit in quality is a bit off. I mentioned this in the Comic Thread so apologies for repeating myself. I actually saw Quantumania, which is supposed to be an unusually bad MCU film. My wife threw it on while I was doing something else. It's fine. It's the exact fluffy, forgettable nonsense with a cast that's way too good for this poo poo that the MCU has always been. It's good but not great, just like all the others. It's just that something ineffable, hard to quantify has been lost, some sense of credibility or something.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sammo Hung action choreography,

Why do you keep bringing up Sammo Hung? Sammo's an amazing choreographer, performer and director but he doesn't have anything in common with what the Wick films are doing aside from 'doing action.' Wick is closer, but not identical, to Johnny To's stuff, or Michael Mann. It's rythmn is closer to that of old school Jidageki movies. It's aesthetic is a weird blend of Suzuki Seijun (I'm thinking Branded to Kill) and loving Argento. It's a pretty unique blend. You can see the influences but the synthesis is distinct. You're not 'going to the source' or whatever by watching Hong Kong action films, you're just watching something different that is also good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/JacobOller/status/1743020825182126310

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I can see it, every episode has some new shenanigans from experimental candy going wrong in between office comedy and musical numbers.

They really still should just have the Oompa-Loompas be clearly the brains of the operation and they let Wonka act like he's in charge to be the frontman.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I mentioned this earlier in this same thread, but the problem with many of the "flops" from 2023 wasn't that they didn't draw in audiences and drive ticket sales, but that their budgets were so astronomical that relatively good ticket sales wasn't enough to get them out of the red. The latest Marvel movies haven't been that bad compared to some of the stinkers that came out early on (Thor: Love & Thunder joins Thor 1 & 2 in the dubious distinction of being bad movies), they've just been way too expensive for what they are trying to do. There's no reason an Antman movie needed to as expensive as it was when Antman stories can be a lot simpler and still be funny and good, and both that movie and The Marvels suffered from whatever the gently caress is happening behind the scenes with Marvel not being able to release their movies on time and on budget. The MCU weren't the only ones to eat poo poo this way though, most of the "Blockbusters" in 2023 made good money but still flopped because production costs were out of control. Hopefully we'll see tighter budgets in newer movies, with directors getting more out of their budget. Barbie had a $145 million budget and looked great, Dune had a $165 million budget and had absolutely fantastic visuals, while Little Mermaid's updated budget was (checks notes) $300+ million!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I hadn't really let that sink in since I haven't seen most of the latest Marvel movies, but they did kind of lose the bit of strength they had where the side moves had their own flavor. Ant-Man was a superhero heist movie. Captain America mixed in spy stuff. Guardians was loving around with Star Wars/Sci-Fi plots. Now they all drifted into samey CGI fights with a bunch of multiverse stuff.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

probably my decades long letter writing campaign

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Also with regards to budget, I think there was a quote from Eric Idle where a producer friend told him a big reason for budget inflation is executive embezzling; $1 million missing from a $15 million movie is a lot, $1 million missing from a $250 million tentpole is nothing.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What a weird post lol

turn on your monitor

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Marvel movies have huge marketing budgets, and the box office needs to account for future interest in the MCU. If a marvel movie makes $400 million on a $200 million budget, assuming a 50% marketing budget of $100 million, does it really justify spending so much on future movies if you’re “only” making $100 million in profit, especially when you’re not guaranteed that specific return time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Get the people behind Superjail to do it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Whenever I run across behind the scenes Disney stuff its always about how such and such movie or tv show had 3 reshoots that cost an additional 100 million and they replaced the director halfway through. It seems like every production they do is a shitshow where they change directions halfway through on an executives whim.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Feldegast42 posted:

Whenever I run across behind the scenes Disney stuff its always about how such and such movie or tv show had 3 reshoots that cost an additional 100 million and they replaced the director halfway through. It seems like every production they do is a shitshow where they change directions halfway through on an executives whim.
This is why they are slowing down on projects going forward

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feldegast42 posted:

This has been so obvious for a while there's all the not-really-jokes about how the Star Wars shows only get to be good as long as Disney's c-suite is busy ruining something else.

It also should explain a lot that at this point, Disney is staffed almost entirely by Disney Adults.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction to seeing that, and Red Sonja. v:v:v

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I hadn't really let that sink in since I haven't seen most of the latest Marvel movies, but they did kind of lose the bit of strength they had where the side moves had their own flavor. Ant-Man was a superhero heist movie. Captain America mixed in spy stuff. Guardians was loving around with Star Wars/Sci-Fi plots. Now they all drifted into samey CGI fights with a bunch of multiverse stuff.

Superhero comics were a version of content laundering before AI. Just take whatever is popular, coat it with comic book tropes, and pass it off as something original and new. Superhero movies are now feeding off other superhero movies and the results aren’t pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction to seeing that, and Red Sonja. v:v:v

At least Red Sonja only has that one Schwarzenegger adaptation which either is forgotten or has people nostalgic for it (because they have forgotten how mediocre it is). The Crow is almost on Highlander levels of "Oh my god, there was more?!" with its sequels and its TV show.