Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dissss posted:

I never had any cable issues with AA, even when I’ve had to emergency buy one from a petrol station. I have had issues with the port on the phone though - it only takes a tiny bit of lint in there to make the connection flakey.

Hmmm maybe I need to invest in some canned air and see if that helps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Had to exchange the CX-30 because the check engine light came on and the infotainment system gave a vaguely threatening, "Engine malfunction! You need go to the dealer, but only at modest speeds." I gassed up just before getting to the rental place and sure enough the gas cap was off and just rattling around in there. Enterprise opted to give me a different car in case the code wasn't just an EVAP/gas cap thing.

They gave me a Chevy Trax. :smith:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my 2019 Mazda 6, my iPhone, Apple Carplay and Google Maps.

A couple of days ago, perhaps after an iOS or Google Maps app update, the multifunction button no longer works in the Google Maps app, when connected to the car.

It works fine in other apps, and using the touchscreen works fine too.

Anyone else experience this?

So this has fixed itself, no idea how. Car hasn't been in for update, the Google Maps app on iPhone has been...

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

posted in stupid questions but this may be mazda specific:

How much am I going to spend: a buttload or an rear end-ton?

2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve, 30K miles.

Never given me a single problem. Replaced the battery with a Group 35 AGM on 11/16/2022.

Starting Monday of this week, it would at least once a day, when shifting into reverse or drive after sitting flash "Charging System Malfunction" and then it would go away and drive perfectly fine. This didn't happen every time, but did happen at least one time a day. The battery read fine on a multimeter (12.6v) and at idle it was reading 13.1-13.4, a little low, so I'm thinking alternator.

I took it to the dealer Friday. All day they looked at it, said it isn't throwing any codes, it must be the 9 month old battery.

So, I picked it up this morning, got a refund on the battery and got a new one and put it in. Drove the car for about 45 minutes and went home. About 20 minutes later, I was going to run to the store. Cranked the car, put it in reverse, and was backing out of my garage. It went 100% dead. There is zero electrical. It will not even jump off. It is sitting in my driveway just dead as poo poo.

The dealer is supposed to call me Monday to schedule a tow.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Took delivery of a 2023 mazda3 carbon ed this past weekend. While the cylinder deactivation in these non turbo engines gives me some trepidation re: reliability, I am trying not to worry too much (Mazda's application seems decent) and overall am enjoying it.

I have however noticed that when I take my foot off the break before giving it throttle, I feel a bit of vibration. Not sure if it's from the pedal or engine or what. Usually felt when I'm trying to creep up in traffic or at a stop from idle. Any thoughts?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Richter Scabies posted:

Took delivery of a 2023 mazda3 carbon ed this past weekend. While the cylinder deactivation in these non turbo engines gives me some trepidation re: reliability, I am trying not to worry too much (Mazda's application seems decent) and overall am enjoying it.

I have however noticed that when I take my foot off the break before giving it throttle, I feel a bit of vibration. Not sure if it's from the pedal or engine or what. Usually felt when I'm trying to creep up in traffic or at a stop from idle. Any thoughts?

My 2021 mazda 3 has done that since I got it. It seems when the engine kicks back in and the skyactiv deactivates it can confuse the car a little. Biggest issue I've had with it is having the pedal depressed enough for the car to not move, the skyactiv kicks in and then doesn't quite register me getting off the brakes as I go to move. Solved by being aware enough of pedal pressure when it does happen though.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

That's good(?) to hear that it seems to just be a skyactive quirk, thanks much. As an aside, I had pined for the turbo for a long time, but honestly I've been pretty happy with the pull of the NA 2.5.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Richter Scabies posted:

That's good(?) to hear that it seems to just be a skyactive quirk, thanks much. As an aside, I had pined for the turbo for a long time, but honestly I've been pretty happy with the pull of the NA 2.5.

I'm sure if I mentioned it to mazda during a service they'd hand wave it away much like the low battery warning that would happen cause they'd leave the key fob in the car all day which puts the car into active mode where it thinks it's about to start which drains the battery quickly buy never enough for it to not start ime.

Yeah I went with the 2.5 after being in a 2.0 and I love the extra power in my big long trip up a hill in the afternoon. The only real quirk is that it likes to put itself in 6th gear and takes a little bit to kick down a gear. In saying that though it gets 600km or so to a tank and sits at 6.5L/100kms which is less than mazda claims and less than my old mazda 3.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's really good. I never got below 6L/100km on my 2015 Mazda 3 diesel :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I could get down to around 5.6l/100km in my 2016 3 on long trips - it was really, really good at moderate open road speeds

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
does help massively that my trip to work is a 1000m decent which gives me like 4.2L/100 and the trip home is the reverse at 8.2L/100

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

In addition to asking here I somewhat naively asked about the braking quirk during the post purchase "thank you" email from the dealership; they deferred to the service dept, which only seemed to prompt an automated message from said service dept wanting feedback for how they did (without...doing anything..)

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Quick FYI in case anyone's interested, I posted some OEM 20" CX-50 wheels with tires and TPMS sensors in the Marketplace thread. These should also fit a CX-5, and maybe some other models (I can check if you're curious).

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Today on this episode of Mazdaspeed 6:

* Fixed my transfer case coolant leak (small inlet hose clamp was loose)
* Unclogged the front passenger sunroof drain

NOW FOR A DRIVE

e: Oh my god that turbo feels so good lmao

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 12, 2023

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Discovered at my last service that I'll be up for a new set of rear pads for my 2021 Mazda 3 with less than 80K kms on the clock. I'd like to say its the downhill commute to get to work but I have a feeling it has far more to do with Mazdas proportional breaking system with never seems to pull the car up with as much stopping power as it should. Its legit the only thing I really don't like about the car because it leaves the brakes feeling mushy at the best of times and not working at their optimal. I miss the days of mash the pedal and the car stops but mazda deems that unnecessary in this day and age.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Discovered at my last service that I'll be up for a new set of rear pads for my 2021 Mazda 3 with less than 80K kms on the clock. I'd like to say its the downhill commute to get to work but I have a feeling it has far more to do with Mazdas proportional breaking system with never seems to pull the car up with as much stopping power as it should. Its legit the only thing I really don't like about the car because it leaves the brakes feeling mushy at the best of times and not working at their optimal. I miss the days of mash the pedal and the car stops but mazda deems that unnecessary in this day and age.

Granted the Miata is a different beast from the 3, but the brakes in my 2021 Miata are pleasantly firm.

Has the brake feel always been mushy? A brake fluid flush+bleed could improve it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The brakes shouldn't be mushy, full stop. Do a flush and bleed.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Four months of agonizing waiting but it's finally mine!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Had one of those as a rental last month. Really liked it. Congrats!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Seller hit me up to see if i wanted to look at a speed3 that they need to get rid of.

Gonna be a prick and yap about VVT and timing chain servicing and turbo life and try to come in low

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone know who makes the mazda OEM crossbars and what model they are? I think they might be thule bars, but I'm trying to figure out attachment compatibility and it would be helpful to know what model they are.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Our CX-30 gave a malfunction warning with a P0126 code today. Seems to be a super common thing that's usually a stuck open thermostat. There's even a TSB for it but it apparently only covers up to the 2021 model year. Still under warranty thought and it's getting towed 50 miles to the dealer Monday.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The NA 2.5’s electrically controlled thermostat has been very tricky. I’ve read a lot of people having trouble with it. IIRC Mazda moved away from it in the 2023 NA models to some other design.

The Turbos have a more traditional mechanical thermostat, I’ve seen less complaints about them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So we had the car towed to the dealer. Zero codes present on the car itself. Still showed in the mazda app, but O'Reilly's probably cleared them when they scanned it. So we drove it home that day. No isssues since then until the engine malfunction warning came on again tonight. I'll check to see if it sticks and we'll have the car towed again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My 2019 Miata's infotainment is driving me mad.

I had the android auto upgrade dealer installed about a year ago shortly after I bought the car. It's mostly worked great since then* but ever since the latest Android update (Samsung S22 running Android 14 w/ One UI version 6.0) it will randomly either disconnect with an "Android Auto has stopped responding" error and not reconnect until I turn the car off and on again, or refuse to connect to the phone at all. Once it disconnects the USB port completely stops working, the phone doesn't even charge unless I plug it into the lower non-AA port.

I'm 99% certain this is a phone issue buuuut wasn't sure if there was a way to update the Mazda side AA software or a newer flash the dealership could perform.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I had a similar issue on my 3 that went away when I replaced my USB cable

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'll give that a shot. I'm annoyed because I spent a stupid amount of money on a cablemod cable but if it's that simple it's good news.

Does AA prefer USB 3.0 over 2.0, does that even matter?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

I'll give that a shot. I'm annoyed because I spent a stupid amount of money on a cablemod cable but if it's that simple it's good news.

Does AA prefer USB 3.0 over 2.0, does that even matter?

I belive AA requires USB 3.0... if you find a good cable please share it, because I think I need to try a new one in my ND2, as well.

Also, in case you were not aware, there is a button combo you can press to reset the head unit-- which might fix the issue you're encountering, and you can do this while driving.

Holding: BACK + MUTE + NAV for 10 seconds, I think, will force the head unit to reboot. (Per this thread: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=708579 )

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I belive AA requires USB 3.0... if you find a good cable please share it, because I think I need to try a new one in my ND2, as well.

it does not

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends, how is the headroom in the cx-30?

I’ve checked specs but after trying different cars it seems like the listed headroom on vehicles doesn’t translate to consistency of my experiences in the cars.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi friends, how is the headroom in the cx-30?

I’ve checked specs but after trying different cars it seems like the listed headroom on vehicles doesn’t translate to consistency of my experiences in the cars.

I’m 5’10. In my normal driving position I have between 4-5 inches of headroom on my Turbo Premium which has a moonroof.

In the backseat it’s more like 3 inches.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm 6'2" and drive a 2021 cx-30 and only have an inch or 2 to the roof with my preferred seating position, but it was better than anything else I tried for leg room without getting something that seats more than 4-5

(It sucks to sit behind me but it can be done, I even fit but it's cramped because I'm all the way back)

I told the dealer I wanted a car where my right knee didn't touch and he told me that he'd never heard that before and started pointing me to trucks and family vans.

I've driven certain vehicles that put a hard sharp bezel or something right there where your knee is and that's rough on long trips!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I told the dealer I wanted a car where my right knee didn't touch and he told me that he'd never heard that before and started pointing me to trucks and family vans.

I've driven certain vehicles that put a hard sharp bezel or something right there where your knee is and that's rough on long trips!

This is why I went with a CX-30 over a Mazda 3 hatch (along with the C-pillar windows). The seating position combined with how the console comes up to the dash means it doesn’t interfere with my knee. Even the CX-5 has right knee interference.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The mazda3 touches both my knees and both my elbows at all times. The wheel is like 1mm from my knees. I'm 6' and it's sooooo nice. It's like being tucked in super cozy.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It took me a minute to figure out why people were complaining about their right leg touching the center console but then realized you guys drive on the other side of the car. I’m 6’6” but fit well enough into a 3. There’s only about 2 inches of space behind me though so I think it’d be difficult for anyone to sit behind me.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Picked up a color matched set of fob panels because why the hell not. Pretty happy with them.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

That's fun. I wish they had something like that for the older style key fobs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tremors posted:

Picked up a color matched set of fob panels because why the hell not. Pretty happy with them.

Are those the ones from Mazda Germany?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Cygni posted:

Are those the ones from Mazda Germany?

Nah, I got it from here: https://mikstoreph.com/products/mazda-3-cx30-jdm-key-shell-oem-replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I really hate the flat keyfob. It's bulky and not easy to use from muscle memory, unlike the older designs. (Also, the opening for a key ring is an awkward shape and doesn't really wok with any of my keyrings.

Mazda gets away with most of it because the modern cars are keyless, but it's still annoying.