Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

But the health ministry reports to Hamas and has repeatedly falsified data and reports before to suit Hamas propaganda. Especially after they were caught inflating the death toll of the Al-Ahli parking lot bombing by 450+, the media should have stopped reporting their numbers at all instead of merely including that disclaimer.

This is an outrageous mischaracterization. The Gaza Health Ministry puts the death count at 471, and as mentioned have provided a list of the people they assert were killed. The US' own estimation ranges from 100-300 people killed. No group, Hamas or otherwise, has ever asserted that 900+ people were killed at Al-Ahli. This sort of uncritical repetition of israeli propaganda positions reifies the lie that Palestinians are intentionally inflating casualty numbers in order to excuse israel's ongoing campaign of genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

"Houthi is not Yemen" and "Hezbullah are not Lebanon" aren't talking points to avoid collective punishment, they're attempts to delegitimize organizations with majority support within their countries. It's essentially being a sore loser, efforts to dislodge both failed so we'll just point to the saudi-led rump statepatch and pout.
Hezbollah is part of the ruling coalition in Lebanon but it certainly does not have majority support.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
On a pedantic level I don't know if it is possible to say whether the Houthis have majority support. It doesn't seem to be a question asked by anyone doing surveys, and they're not holding elections.

It's possible. They operate the closest thing that most Yemenis have to a state that looks out for their interests and resists the armies trying to kill them. And it's certainly easier to have majority support when you're disappearing/arresting/exiling your detractors - like Brecht said, the government can dissolve the people and elect another.

In the end I don't think it matters if a state is "legitimate", only if it's real, which I'd define as "sufficiently powerful and well-organized that any economic or military work done in the area is done either with them or against them" and that's obviously more true of the Houthis than the Yemeni rump state.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 4, 2024

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/haningdr/status/1742657664683855981?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Israel definitely seeing exactly how much poo poo Hezbollah is prepared to take.

Interesting read on the situation. Can you remind me how many attacks hezbollah has taken against Israel since Oct 8? Who exactly is seeing how much the other side will take?

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 40 hours!)

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This is an outrageous mischaracterization. The Gaza Health Ministry puts the death count at 471, and as mentioned have provided a list of the people they assert were killed. The US' own estimation ranges from 100-300 people killed.

They initially reported 500 dead, within minutes, suspiciously. The actual number is most likely 50. (The US estimate advises that it skews closer to 100 than 300).

Nevertheless, since the video evidence and most investigations have shown it was a Gaza rocket, that's 500 deaths too many being blamed on Israel.

quote:

This sort of uncritical repetition of israeli propaganda positions reifies the lie that Palestinians are intentionally inflating casualty numbers in order to excuse israel's ongoing campaign of genocide.

Hamas' numbers lack internal consistency, with multiple days where only the women and children count increased, when even random bombing should logically have killed at least 25% adult men.
https://twitter.com/halteconnerie/status/1734200498725519516
The UN agencies basically rely on Hamas data, minus whatever Israel can disprove. (For instance, this infamous story about a sick baby asphyxiating on tire smoke being falsely blamed on "Israeli tear gas"
The UN is not independently counting heads at the morgue or anything, so it's not so persuasive that its numbers have mostly lined up. The fact that so many individual claims can be disproven should cast doubt on the entire number and the reputation of the organization.

And that organization's claims are primarily responsible for the entire "genocide" accusation.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

They initially reported 500 dead, within minutes, suspiciously. The actual number is most likely 50. (The US estimate advises that it skews closer to 100 than 300).

Nevertheless, since the video evidence and most investigations have shown it was a Gaza rocket, that's 500 deaths too many being blamed on Israel.

Hamas' numbers lack internal consistency, with multiple days where only the women and children count increased, when even random bombing should logically have killed at least 25% adult men.
https://twitter.com/halteconnerie/status/1734200498725519516
The UN agencies basically rely on Hamas data, minus whatever Israel can disprove. (For instance, this infamous story about a sick baby asphyxiating on tire smoke being falsely blamed on "Israeli tear gas"
The UN is not independently counting heads at the morgue or anything, so it's not so persuasive that its numbers have mostly lined up. The fact that so many individual claims can be disproven should cast doubt on the entire number and the reputation of the organization.

And that organization's claims are primarily responsible for the entire "genocide" accusation.

So, just to be clear, you assert (seemingly in contravention of everyone else but perhaps an israeli figure I'm unaware of) the explosion at Al-Ahli only killed around fifty people? And moreover that similarly the deaths reported by Palestinians from Gaza are so dramatically inflated that what israel is doing does not constitute a genocide? And to support your point you're posting a tweet from an account called "Death to Idiots" with an AI-generated "gently caress HAMAS" avatar? Are you sure about this?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Nameless_Steve posted:

The actual number is most likely 50.

where are you getting this number from

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

This is almost verbatim when people who defending Israel were saying back the first days, it's as if he just missed the whole thing where Israel faked evidence and Gaza MOH published the names of the dead and the UN or WHO corroberated.

Just straight propaganda brain.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

It looks like more from the Times of Israel: https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/european-intelligence-source-tells-afp-a-maximum-of-50-killed-in-gaza-hospital/, per a "senior European intelligence source". There also might be an AFP report somewhere that suggests 10-50 maximum but it might have been pulled as I haven't been able to find any references to it outside of what seem to be some pretty disgusting racist forums.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Nameless_Steve posted:

No. The South African case, for example, cites not just the killing of more than 20,000 and injuring of more than 55,000 Palestinians, but also:

• The "background of apartheid, expulsion, ethnic cleansing, occupation, discrimination, and the ongoing denial of the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination" even prior to October 7.
  • The indiscriminate nature of Israel's bombing campaign.
  • Attacks on hospitals and residential areas, including water systems, agricultural lands, mills, mosques/churches, universities, and more than 100 heritage sites.
  • Mass forced displacement of Palestinians.
  • Depriving Palestinians of access to adequate food and water.
  • Imposing measures to prevent Palestinian births.
  • Statements of genocidal intent from Israeli officials.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Nameless_Steve posted:

The fault for every rocket fired from Gaza lies wholly and exclusively with the state of Israel.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For the record, the ministry of health only counts casualties they can confirm; children are more likely to be counted on account of the fact that you can usually trust a parent when they say "my baby is dead.", the inverse might be a little hard to confirm.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I believe the health ministry’s figures have also generally proved pretty accurate after the fact whenever neutral third parties like MSF or (reputable) news organisations have gone digging. The fact that Israel massacres thousands of civilians often enough that they’ve been able to build this track record should make you pause and go “Hans, are we the baddies?”.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

So, just to be clear, you assert (seemingly in contravention of everyone else but perhaps an israeli figure I'm unaware of) the explosion at Al-Ahli only killed around fifty people?

Wall Street Journal, AFP

quote:

And moreover that similarly the deaths reported by Palestinians from Gaza are so dramatically inflated that what israel is doing does not constitute a genocide?
Is the claim it's a genocide a claim based on numbers? Where is a line drawn, numerically, between genocide and not-genocide?

quote:

And to support your point you're posting a tweet from an account called "Death to Idiots" with an AI-generated "gently caress HAMAS" avatar? Are you sure about this?
Uh, sure. You make it sound like "gently caress hamas" is cuckoo, but it's actually pretty normal.
Here's a different thread that analyzes the same numbers and finds the same inconsistencies:
https://twitter.com/Aizenberg55/status/1731753062622982386

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Here's a source about the first month of Gazan mortality by people who are actually epidemiologists and statisticians, not some Twitter thread that most can't even read which is also by a random person:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)02640-5/fulltext

In this paper they compare mortality patterns from the Gaza MoH with UNRWA numbers and modeling and find no evidence to suggest overinflated numbers.

Here is another one using the UNRWA numbers until a later date. It's interesting to note that UNRWA workers seem to have a death rate twice as high as average Gazans. If Israel is truly taking care to not target protected individuals, why would this be the case?
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)02713-7/fulltext

e: the guy you linked runs an organization literally dedicated to defending Israeli interests against international pressure. It's like citing the Center for a New American Security on US-China relations lmao.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 5, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

Wall Street Journal, AFP

Is the claim it's a genocide a claim based on numbers? Where is a line drawn, numerically, between genocide and not-genocide?

Uh, sure. You make it sound like "gently caress hamas" is cuckoo, but it's actually pretty normal.
Here's a different thread that analyzes the same numbers and finds the same inconsistencies:

Please point me to where the WSJ says that only 50 people died. The AFP repeats the Times of Israel which is repeating an estimate told to a reporter by an unnamed "European intelligence source". How would a mysterious European intelligence agent (??) have accurate casualty numbers on something that happened in the heart of Gaza -- something asserted as an accident, no less.

I know I shouldn't have wasted the time but I read the twitter thread. I don't know if you could find a less reliable source if you tried. Alex Jones, maybe? The Time Cube guy? It's a nutjob israeli propaganda mouthpiece who posts the flimsiest "well acktually"s I've ever seen. It seems like his job, by his own admission, is to post these hairbrained rebuttals on behalf of the israeli propaganda apparatus. Is this the best you're able to come up with? Two random twitter propaganda shills? That's not really a convincing case, even with the guy's ~debunking~ some UN infographics apparently on the basis that they weren't 100% correct on the day-of release from a population being actively slaughtered by the army of an apartheid terror state.

Frankly, it's insane to me that this sort of thing is permitted on these forums, let alone D&D. No one would tolerate someone playing these bean counting games with the deaths at Buchenwald or Auschwitz on behalf of the nazi government, and correctly so. Why do we allow this sort of genocide denial in this case?

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 5, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Frankly, it's insane to me that this sort of thing is permitted on these forums, let alone D&D. No one would tolerate someone playing these bean counting games with the deaths at Buchenwald or Auschwitz on behalf of the nazi government, and correctly so. Why do we allow this sort of genocide denial in this case?

Even if you accept Koos' calm Hitler allowing, his dodging of sourcing any arguments along with the horrible quality of what few sources he's providing should be pretty plainly disallowed.

Even if one thought the initial response to Gaza was justified or that a ground invasion is justified, I don't know how you could look at the current situation and not plainly see that this is far beyond that. But then again I guess the train of thought that Steve and others are expressing now is the same as how we got to strategic bombing Berlin, firebombing Tokyo and dropping two nuclear weapons in the closing days of WW2.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

Wall Street Journal, AFP

If the WSJ and AFP are making these claims can you post those instead of a Twitter rando?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Nameless_Steve posted:

Is the claim it's a genocide a claim based on numbers?

How convenient that I don't have to change a word of my previous post to respond to this as well!

Atahualpa posted:

No. The South African case, for example, cites not just the killing of more than 20,000 and injuring of more than 55,000 Palestinians, but also:

• The "background of apartheid, expulsion, ethnic cleansing, occupation, discrimination, and the ongoing denial of the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination" even prior to October 7.
  • Attacks on hospitals and residential areas, including water systems, agricultural lands, mills, mosques/churches, universities, and more than 100 heritage sites.

If anyone here implied that the genocide designation is based solely on numbers, it was you:

Nameless_Steve posted:

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Please point me to where the WSJ says that only 50 people died.

Here you go. https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/israel-tries-to-back-up-claims-it-didnt-attack-gaza-hospital-a8cc3405

quote:

The AFP repeats the Times of Israel which is repeating an estimate told to a reporter by an unnamed "European intelligence source". How would a mysterious European intelligence agent (??) have accurate casualty numbers on something that happened in the heart of Gaza -- something asserted as an accident, no less.
You have it backwards, the Times of Israel got the number from AFP and the same source seems to have informed various European governments.

quote:

I know I shouldn't have wasted the time but I read the twitter thread. I don't know if you could find a less reliable source if you tried. Alex Jones, maybe? The Time Cube guy? It's a nutjob israeli propaganda mouthpiece who posts the flimsiest "well acktually"s I've ever seen. It seems like his job, by his own admission, is to post these hairbrained rebuttals on behalf of the israeli propaganda apparatus. Is this the best you're able to come up with? Two random twitter propaganda shills? That's not really a convincing case, even with the guy's ~debunking~ some UN infographics apparently on the basis that they weren't 100% correct on the day-of release from a population being actively slaughtered by the army of an apartheid terror state.
You're attacking the source instead of the content again. You don't think it's nuts that Hamas has claimed there were days when not a single man died? Forget who's asking the question, it's a good question.

quote:

Evidence of the Holocaust went through an insane amount of scrutiny, "just asking questions," including on these very forums and I remember having those conversations on these forums. Wooden doors and such. There's a world of difference, those people weren't engaging in good faith and were ignoring a ton of evidence (like the Posen speech recordings where they straight up admitted to killing 6 million).
I'm pointing out that the Palestinian "genocide" claims are based on unreliable numbers from a single unreliable source, the complete opposite situation.

E:

Atahualpa posted:

2, 3 and 4 don't stand up when it's now well-documented how hardcore militarized the mosques, schools and hospitals all were in Hamas Gaza. 5 is demonstrably untrue when so many aid trucks are pouring in every day. 6 is a myth. 7 is immaterial and pales in comparison to their counterparts.
As for 1:
"Denial of self-determination" is not genocide, nor are the various security measures taken against a hostile, nazified populace like the Palestinian Nationalists. October 7 was an instance of the dangers of lax security, and showed us exactly who Israel was keeping out and why.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 5, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

This is completely insane. This outright genocide denial should not be allowed to fester on the forums. The only difference between Nameless_Steve and the most vile holocaust denier you care to find is that Jewish people happen to be at the apex of his psychotic racial hierarchy. Absolutely disgusting!

e: I should not engage but I don't want to let it stand. The "source" is completely worthless even if it was repeated by the WSJ back in October. An unnamed "European intelligence agent" is the only person with the secret true knowledge of what happened and all those evil Palestinians are lying about being bombed. Sure.

The "good questions" being raised by the psychotic genocide denying twitter guys are them pointing to changing numbers as "lying", and not just, you know, completely obvious adjustments made in the middle of a genocidal bombing campaign where people are regularly buried under the rubble of their homes and hospitals, improved or revised counts, etc etc. Or just outright making poo poo up and gish galloping all the way to their sickening justifications. Really classic holocaust denier moves, here.

These are loving nutjobs and the fact that nameless steve is trying to present these guys as hard nosed truth tellers is stomach turning. Dismissal of all of the SA case as myths and other bullshit is mind boggling as well. Sorry for posting about posters but please get this loving scumbag off the forums.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2024

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Nameless_Steve posted:

"Denial of self-determination" is not genocide, nor are the various security measures taken against a hostile, nazified populace like the Palestinian Nationalists. October 7 was an instance of the dangers of lax security, and showed us exactly who Israel was keeping out and why.

What makes Palestine's population nazified? That's quite a claim when Israel itself is run by a nazi apologist holocaust denier, certainly Israel has no qualms about allowing nazis in the country.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Nameless_Steve posted:

2, 3 and 4 don't stand up when it's now well-documented how hardcore militarized the mosques, schools and hospitals all were in Hamas Gaza. 5 is demonstrably untrue when so many aid trucks are pouring in every day. 6 is a myth. 7 is immaterial and pales in comparison to their counterparts.

2, 3 and 4 remain relevant and would still be relevant even if every mosque, school and hospital were "hardcore militarized" as you claim. Israel assaulted these places with full knowledge that civilians were sheltering there.

5 was true even before Oct 7 - the aid entering Gaza has been woefully inadequate for years and years and entry of aid (and other goods) into Gaza is wholly controlled by Israel.

7 is actually incredibly material as intent is often the hardest thing to prove in cases of genocide - not difficult in this case as Israeli government officials seemingly can't help but publicly call for genocide - have another read of the direct quotes in South Africa's ICJ submission.

Nameless_Steve posted:

As for 1:

Roughly 10,000 children have been killed in Gaza since October 7. Were they "hostile" and "nazified" and is this why you support their murder? Shame on you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

whoof i'd wanna be nameless too if i was posting this bile

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I don’t think anything’s going to stop Israel from continuing to aggress against the Palestinians until either most of the Palestinian territories are so ethnically cleansed that the Palestinians no longer pose any sort of a threat, or Israel suffers a military defeat.

They won’t stop. I don’t think they’d stop even if the US turned its back on them and many countries boycotted them like they boycotted apartheid South Africa. Israel isn’t South Africa. I see no possible good ending here. There’s no path to de-escalation.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was not expecting to read racist nonsense about Palestinians being Nazis as a justification for actual genocide denial in this thread.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mischievous Mink posted:

What makes Palestine's population nazified? That's quite a claim when Israel itself is run by a nazi apologist holocaust denier, certainly Israel has no qualms about allowing nazis in the country.

I don't think anyone in Israel is denying the Holocaust but if you want them to be every kind of evil please go on. Netanyahu has come up with claims about the mufti having a role in the Holocaust which is highly disputed but I think he still believes the Holocaust happened and the last time the let a literal Nazi into the country was to execute him unless you think Israel was secretly pretty chill with Eichmann too.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Nameless_Steve posted:

Would you like to post some actual evidence for all these assertions? There is literally no conversation to be had if all you post are hollow claims that such-and-such is untrue, especially when these claims are easily disproved lies.

Let's take number 5, aid to Gaza. I'm only going to look at a single source, because let us not pretend that the amount of effort I put into this is going to convince you. The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification released a report on Gaza just two weeks ago, which you can read here.

quote:

Between 8 December and 7 February, the entire population in the Gaza Strip (about 2.2 million people) is classified in IPC Phase 3 or above (Crisis or worse). This is the highest share of people facing high levels of acute food insecurity that the IPC initiative has ever classified for any given area or country. Among these, about 50% of the population (1.17 million people) is in Emergency (IPC Phase 4) and at least one in four households (more than half a million people) is facing catastrophic conditions (IPC Phase 5, Catastrophe). These are characterized by households experiencing an extreme lack of food, starvation, and exhaustion of coping capacities. Even though the levels of acute malnutrition and non-trauma related mortality might not have yet crossed famine thresholds, these are typically the outcomes of prolonged and extreme food consumption gaps. The increased nutritional vulnerability of children, pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly is a particular source of concern.

The latest data shows that virtually all households are skipping meals every day. In four out of five households in the northern governorates and half the displaced households in the southern governorates, people go entire days and nights without eating. Many adults go hungry so children can eat. Humanitarian food assistance, which was supporting over two thirds of the population before the escalation of the hostilities, is now extremely inadequate to cover the rapidly growing life-threatening needs. The quantities of commodities, including food, allowed to enter the Gaza Strip are largely insufficient; and on most days, these are only reaching a portion of the population of Rafah Governorate. In the northern governorates, as well as Deir Al Balah and parts of Khan Younis, active fighting or partial besiegement are preventing significant portions of the population from accessing humanitarian assistance and basic services (food, water, sanitation, healthcare).
So the accusation of Israel "depriving Palestinians of access to adequate food and water" is pretty drat well far from being "demonstrably untrue." But you don't even pretend to have the veneer of having an argument here, just blank assertions contrary to all observable reality.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Madkal posted:

I don't think anyone in Israel is denying the Holocaust but if you want them to be every kind of evil please go on. Netanyahu has come up with claims about the mufti having a role in the Holocaust which is highly disputed but I think he still believes the Holocaust happened and the last time the let a literal Nazi into the country was to execute him unless you think Israel was secretly pretty chill with Eichmann too.

I don't know what they're talking about in terms of (presumably literal?) Nazis being let into Israel but bibi does have a revisionist streak about the holocaust while trying to court favor from other right wing governments, although I wouldn't say he's a "Holocaust denier"

Here's a Haaretz article about it:
https://archive.is/0c4te

An AP story:
https://apnews.com/article/2b1eb6dbe0f44763b515fbb4c6398f2b

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Madkal posted:

"Holocaust denier" is colloquially used as an umbrella term for those who downplay or spread insane conspiracy theories about the Holocaust, both of which absolutely apply to Bibi, but I will grant that it is a misleading label if taken literally.

He is absolutely 100% a nazi apologist, though, and his love for white supremacists is well documented, with the most recent example being inviting Elon Musk on an apartheid safari after the latter started eating poo poo for openly boosting Great Replacement conspiracies. Saying that none of his nazi friends count because they are not literal members of the defunct NSDAP is nit-picking.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Bibi is absolutely a Holocaust revisionist.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Madkal posted:

...the last time the let a literal Nazi into the country was to execute him unless you think Israel was secretly pretty chill with Eichmann too.

They have let Nazis of the neo variety in; would you count that? Azov Batallion did a publicity tour in Israel a little over a year ago:
Downplaying Far-right Ties, Hero of Ukraine's Azov Unit Holds Israel Publicity Tour (Haaretz)

In case you are unfamiliar with this group, on 2018, US Congress prohibited the provision of training and materiel to this group because it was recognized as a neo-Nazi organization. Here, from Rep. Ro Khanna's (D-CA) home page for context:

Congress bans arms to Ukraine militia linked to neo-Nazis

khanna.house.gov - Tue, 27 Mar 2018 posted:

A little-noticed provision in the 2,232-page government spending bill passed last week bans U.S. arms from going to a controversial ultranationalist militia in Ukraine that has openly accepted neo-Nazis into its ranks.

House-passed spending bills for the past three years have included a ban on U.S. aid to Ukraine from going to the Azov Battalion, but the provision was stripped out before final passage each year.

This year, though, the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill signed into law last week stipulates that "none of the funds made available by this act may be used to provide arms, training or other assistance to the Azov Battalion."

"White supremacy and neo-Nazism are unacceptable and have no place in our world," Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), an outspoken critic of providing lethal aid to Ukraine, said in a statement to The Hill on Tuesday. "I am very pleased that the recently passed omnibus prevents the U.S. from providing arms and training assistance to the neo-Nazi Azov Battalion fighting in Ukraine."

The United States has been aiding and training Ukrainian forces in their fight against Russian-backed separatists since 2014, and recently expanded that aid to include arms. The omnibus includes about $620.7 million in aid for Ukraine, including $420.7 million in State Department and foreign operations funds and $200 million in Pentagon funds.

The Azov Battalion was founded in 2014, and its first commander was Andriy Biletsky, who previously headed the neo-Nazi group Patriot of Ukraine. Several members of the militia, which has been integrated into the Ukrainian National Guard, are self-avowed neo-Nazis.

But a spokesman for the group has defended it, telling USA Today in 2015 that only 10 to 20 percent of recruits are neo-Nazis and that those people do not represent the official ideology of Azov.

It's unclear how much, if anything, from the United States has gone to Azov in the past.

"The State Department should pressure Kiev to dissociate itself with this group and investigate whether any of our weapons or training have already been provided to them," Khanna said in his statement. "This is just one of many reasons why lawmakers should be concerned about channeling huge amounts of weapons into this volatile conflict zone."

Last year, online posts by the militia's news service showed members testing U.S.-made grenade launchers at a firing range. The posts have since been deleted, and the Ukrainian National Guard insisted in a January statement that the grenade launchers were not in Azov's possession.

U.S. officials have said vetting required under the so-called Leahy Law already prevents the United States from aiding Azov. The Leahy Law bans U.S. aid from going to groups when the "secretary of State has credible information that such unit has committed a gross violation of human rights."

But proponents of a ban specific to Azov say the Leahy Law did not preclude it from getting aid, since the secretary of State has never made such a determination about the group.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

I'm pointing out that the Palestinian "genocide" claims are based on unreliable numbers from a single unreliable source, the complete opposite situation.

This claim is only true if the genocide claim is based on the deaths at the hospital, but it isn't. As Atahualpa pointed out it's based on far more than that, but you seem to be ignoring that.

It's not at all contradictory for Israel to be committing genocide and for the deaths at the hospital to be exaggerated (I'm not saying they are).

Mischievous Mink posted:

Israel itself is run by a nazi apologist holocaust denier

Wait... what? I knew he was a piece of poo poo but this is a wild claim.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This claim is only true if the genocide claim is based on the deaths at the hospital, but it isn't. As Atahualpa pointed out it's based on far more than that, but you seem to be ignoring that.

It's not at all contradictory for Israel to be committing genocide and for the deaths at the hospital to be exaggerated (I'm not saying they are).

Wait... what? I knew he was a piece of poo poo but this is a wild claim.

He is recognized as a Nazi apologist who serves Holocaust deniers. I'd say that claim is more than half correct.

Netanyahu blasted for claiming Palestinian leader inspired Holocaust

www.france24.com - Wed, 21 Oct 2015 posted:

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has come under fire after suggesting that a World War II-era Palestinian leader convinced the Nazis to adopt their Final Solution to exterminate European Jews.

Netanyahu told a group of Jewish leaders on Tuesday that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Nazi sympathizer Haj Amin al-Husseini, convinced Hitler to destroy the Jews.

"Hitler didn't want to exterminate the Jews at the time, he wanted to expel the Jews," Netanyahu said. When Hitler asked al-Husseini what to do, Netanyahu said he replied: "Burn them."

Opposition leaders have slammed Netanyahu's comments as a gross distortion of history and an incitement to hatred against Palestinians, coming in the midst of a wave of violent unrest and Israeli-Palestinian tensions.

"This is a dangerous historical distortion and I demand Netanyahu correct it immediately as it minimizes the Holocaust, Nazism and… Hitler's part in our people's terrible disaster," Zionist Union leader Isaac Herzog wrote on his Facebook page.

"This is a great shame, a prime minister of the Jewish state at the service of Holocaust-deniers – this is a first," said Itzik Shmuli, an MP for Herzog’s opposition party. "This isn't the first time Netanyahu distorts historical facts, but a lie of this magnitude is the first."

Arab Joint List leader Ayman Odeh said Netanyahu "is rewriting history in order to incite against the Palestinian people”. He added: “The victims of the Nazi monster, among them millions of Jews, have become cheap propaganda in the service of peace rejectionism.”

Israeli daily Haaretz reports that Netanyahu made a similar claim in 2012, when he told Israeli lawmakers that the former Grand Mufti was “one of the leading architects” of the Holocaust, in which more than five million Jews were murdered.

Fringe historians have made the suggestion in the past, but it has been rejected by established scholars.

"To say that the Mufti was the first to mention to Hitler the idea to kill or burn the Jews is not correct," Dina Porat, a professor at Tel Aviv University and the chief historian of Yad Vashem, Israel's Holocaust museum, told Israel Radio on Wednesday.

"The idea to rid the world of the Jews was a central theme in Hitler's ideology a long, long time before he met the mufti," she said.

Porat and others pointed out that the murder of the Jews began in June 1941. Even if the Mufti wanted the Final Solution to be expanded, he was not the one who came up with the idea.

"For somebody who knows something about history and grew up in the house of historian Professor Benzion Netanyahu, he should know well," Porat said of the prime minister. "But in my humble opinion, to say that the mufti gave Hitler the idea is wrong."

(FRANCE 24 with AP, REUTERS)

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Re: the point made earlier about only women and children being reported as killed on certain days, I actually think that's plausible. If Israel decides to bomb an apartment building in the daytime, a lot of the men who live there are going to be at work or participating in the war in some way, not at home. And this is just speculation, but Israel making active attempts to target families/neighbors of Hamas members seems very plausible too... Try to scare people off from joining in the future by making them worry everyone they love will be killed in retaliation.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I also don't give a gently caress if the number of deaths is inflated or not. That has little to do with it being a genocide. Israel has factually done plenty of awful things with numerous statements in support of genocide by their leadership. Quibbling over specific number of civilians killed by them as if the number was low enough it would change anything is pure distraction done by genocide apologists.

It's good to have accurate numbers for certain purposes but it is completely irrelevant to the larger picture here.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Since propaganda has been such a visible aspect of this ongoing genocide, a quick illudtration of how it goes along down here.

Since shortly after the Oct. 7 attacks and the Israeli assault, a figure called "The Son of Hamas" has been doing the rounds in btazilian media, being hosted and interviewd in pretty much every major vehicle. He's the son of a founding member of Hamas and an IDF spy/colaborator. His fare is the usual "Israel is blameless and its on palestinians to not be nazis anymore, so then they won't be bombed anymore". He's also been doing paid speaking engagements.

His presence was -slightly- dimmed when old social media of him stating that he'd value the life of a single cow over the lives of 1.6 billion muslims, but....not as much as you'd expect. By then the war itself was mostly moving out of the main news and just become another Thing Going On.

https://oglobo.globo.com/mundo/noti...palestina.ghtml

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Madkal posted:

Comparing 10/7 to the Holocaust which a number of people have is at best Holocaust minimization which is on the road to denial. Holocaust denial despite the name isn't just "the Holocaust did not occur at all" there are gradations.

The Mossad recruited Otto Skorzeny - a member of the Waffen-SS - as an asset to use against Egypt.

Fidelitious posted:

I also don't give a gently caress if the number of deaths is inflated or not. That has little to do with it being a genocide. Israel has factually done plenty of awful things with numerous statements in support of genocide by their leadership. Quibbling over specific number of civilians killed by them as if the number was low enough it would change anything is pure distraction done by genocide apologists.

It's good to have accurate numbers for certain purposes but it is completely irrelevant to the larger picture here.

The numbers are almost certainly an undercount and the tweet that was linked that was some kind of analysis thread to prove it's an overcount is by someone who has me blocked which is a strong sign they're full of poo poo.

edit: yeah they blocked me because they're a board member of the hilariously misnamed Honest Reporting who misreported a bunch of Gazan journalists had taken part in 10/7 and were subsequently put on an IDF hit list.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 5, 2024

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Groovelord Neato posted:

Comparing 10/7 to the Holocaust which a number of people have is at best Holocaust minimization which is on the road to denial. Holocaust denial despite the name isn't just "the Holocaust did not occur at all" there are gradations.

The statement was that it was the most Jews killed in one day since the Holocaust which is true and also made certain people who were happy with what happened on that day feel a bit uncomfortable. It isn't minimizing the death of 6 million Jews but showing the severity of what happened on 7 October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

that is literally a comparison to the Holocaust made infinitely worse by the fact that 10/7 had nothing to do with anyone's Jewishness but because the apartheid terror state of israel has been keeping a captive population of untermenschen in open-air concentration camps. It is obscene Holocaust minimization.