Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Philthy posted:

Tangentially related that this thread might enjoy: I was in grade school and we had to make our moms Mother's Day cards. Temple of Doom came out a week prior. I draw a card with a kid eating monkey brains. At the time I didn't know we were actually supposed to give them to our moms. I was a dumb kid. Anyway, mom opens the card, and is absolutely horrified.

That card's a goes in the keepsake box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Huge recommendation, but maybe wait until next Halloween to really capitalize on the mood

Yep, it's a movi(Sleepy Hollow)that I find myself wanting to watch at different points throughout the year but my October DNA won't let me because of stuff like this:

Just a few too many jack o lanterns to get away with watching it any other time of year.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I rewatched it over the holidays, still a very fun movie.

Miranda Richardson's casual delivery of "Watch your head" is A+.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
October goes from October 1st through December 24th.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife is a huge fan of the Tremors movies, in fact she got in trouble in elementary school because she drew the scene from the 1st one where they find the severed head and the teacher thought she had somehow encountered a severed head in the woods or something. So we've watched every single movie, most of them more than once, and can definitively say this is my personal ranking:

Tremors
--slight drop in quality--
Tremors 2: Aftershocks
--another slight drop in quality--
Tremors 3: Back to Perfection
Tremors 4: The Legend Begins
--MASSIVE drop in quality--
Tremors 7: Shrieker Island
--an even larger drop in quality--
Tremors 5: Bloodlines
--the largest drop in quality imaginable--
Tremors 6: A Cold Day in Hell

6 is full stop one of the worst movies I've ever seen as it totally wastes any kind of interesting premise and instead mostly focuses on Michael Gross laying in bed and Jamie Kennedy rapidly alternating between painful comedy and even more painful heartfelt moments.

The first one is a classic and should be watched by everybody. 2 and 3 are kind of more of the same but they have fun characters and good monsters. 4 is fun but if you binge these you'll probably be kinda tired of the formula by now.

There is no need to watch 5, 6, or 7 unless you're a completionist. 7's the best of the batch imho but it's nothing compared to the first 4.

Co-signing this, though I flip 3 and 4 purely on the merits of the novel time period and 3 canonizing "rear end-blasters" for the third evolution. I think 7 only barely skates above 5 and 6 by virtue of not having Jamie Kennedy, but Jon Heder is not exactly a sterling replacement.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

davidspackage posted:

I rewatched it over the holidays, still a very fun movie.

Miranda Richardson's casual delivery of "Watch your head" is A+.

Miranda Richardson does everything amazingly. She drops a fatty deuce in the morning and it's BAFTA worthy.

I can list a bunch of problems with Sleep Hollow, but half of that is because it's so close to my perfect movie that I start getting incredibly nit-picky. "Gothic period horror with heavy mystery elements" is basically my exact niche, and then on top of that it's a buffet of character actors. I can forgive a lot of Burton's schtick* and even some of the Johnny Depp poo poo, if I still get Michael Gambon in a wig and knee-breeches and some protracted investigative sequences.

*which used to be my poo poo, but he's kind of systematically ruined it since then.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

added both!

Apparently most of Joy Ride (2001) was set in Wyoming as the kids drive through it being tormented by Rusty Nail, and the Dolph Lundgren clunker Don't Kill It is set in Lexington, Mississippi, so that's all 51 states (including DC). Let the Arguing Commence!

Canada:

Dang, we got to step up our game

BC: The Interior (will entertain better suggestions)
AB: Nightbreed
MB: Tusk?
ON: Spoiled for choice, let's say Pontypool
QC: Blood Quantum or there's gotta be some amazing francophone thing that like two people in the thread have ever heard of
Yukon and/or NWT: Black Mountain Side
Nunavut: Slash/Back

That's leaving out SK and the entire maritimes/nfld

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Phy posted:

Canada:

QC: Blood Quantum or there's gotta be some amazing francophone thing that like two people in the thread have ever heard of

Pontypool is more Northern Ontario. If I'm picking one it's Videodrome, which is Toronto af

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Phy posted:

Canada:

I remember a zombie film set there where the zombies were doing chair stacking.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ginger Snaps 3 is in Quebec, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if it's out yet but Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person is Quebec-set and both really good and, as you can see, has one hell of a title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYhzyE9oUm8

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

October goes from October 1st through December 24th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFPI9b9N6CQ

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if it's out yet but Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person is Quebec-set and both really good and, as you can see, has one hell of a title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYhzyE9oUm8

It's like a French Wes Anderson What We Do In The Shadows holy loving poo poo.

I love it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh is that good I may watch it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yes please.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

Canada:

I'm going to count X Files for BC

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Cold Skin good? Anyone seen that?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Meh. Just watch Lighthouse again instead

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It had it's moments.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Its fun. Yeah, a worse version of The Lighthouse but still enjoyable.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Recommend more creature features from the 80s and 70s. I have today off.

Currently watching Rawhead Rex

Am I too late to recommend a horror comedy?

If not I suggest "Monster Squad" it is peak 80s/90s creature feature meets The Goonies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nikumatic posted:

Co-signing this, though I flip 3 and 4 purely on the merits of the novel time period and 3 canonizing "rear end-blasters" for the third evolution. I think 7 only barely skates above 5 and 6 by virtue of not having Jamie Kennedy, but Jon Heder is not exactly a sterling replacement.

Yeah, I dislike 3 just because I find the rear end-blaster form a step too far, it also feels like the place where the films shift from respecting the Graboids to having fun with them.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I saw Tremors (a perfect film) countless times as a kid, and I saw 2 once or twice, but most of the sequels I've only seen running the series a few years back before 7 was out. I can't think about the movies in any individual capacity enough to say anything other than that oh-so-common phrase of horror sequels, "diminishing returns."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a hard drop imo. When I saw Burt gummer naked screaming and getting pissed on by a lion I was out

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Its fun. Yeah, a worse version of The Lighthouse but still enjoyable.

M_Sinistrari posted:

It had it's moments.

Opopanax posted:

Meh. Just watch Lighthouse again instead

Hmmmm ok thank you...might do both tonight lol. Lighthouse horror night

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I kinda liked Cold Skin too. Wasn't amazing and is pretty much dwarfed by The Lighthouse. More action in it though, and the plot is fairly straight forward comparatively.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Apologies if this is a repost, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

For those of us who are interested, check Shiracord, Senritsu Kaiki World Kowasugi (2023) (the one that came out in September), with subs, is now available. Watched it last night, and it's everything you want it to be.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Canonically, Jason is a Jersey Boy. Leatherface is pretty obvious. Chucky was Chicago, so Illinois. Elm Street took place in Indiana I want say?

gently caress. I was trying to fall asleep and now I can’t stop trying to geolocate horror movies. That was some incredibly effective nerd-sniping.

I actually don't know whether a definitive state was established for Crystal Lake or Elm St during the main series but I'm pretty sure Jason versus Freddy had them both in Ohio within driving distance of each other.

I guess New Jersey would make some sort of sense for Crystal Lake since they took a boat to NYC. Up some navigable river that was previously unmentioned, I guess.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TOOT BOOT posted:

I actually don't know whether a definitive state was established for Crystal Lake or Elm St during the main series but I'm pretty sure Jason versus Freddy had them both in Ohio within driving distance of each other.

I guess New Jersey would make some sort of sense for Crystal Lake since they took a boat to NYC. Up some navigable river that was previously unmentioned, I guess.

I'm nearish to Blairstown, NJ where it's supposed to be. Every Halloween they put on a big Friday the 13th thing that's basically a country fair. That whole area is backwoods country and they filmed near it and Hope, NJ as well. I've never been and would never want to willingly drive out to west New Jersey.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure that the Friday the 13th films flat out say they're in New Jersey in the 1st and a few of the other films.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

We Got Us A Bread posted:

For those of us who are interested, check Shiracord, Senritsu Kaiki World Kowasugi (2023) (the one that came out in September), with subs, is now available. Watched it last night, and it's everything you want it to be.

hooooooooly poo poo can't wait let's start 2024 off right

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Apologies if this is a repost, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

For those that are oblivious, what is Shiracord? The searches I've found lead to dead links to a Discord server. It looks like one of the movies is available on Youtube?

Edit: Found a working Discord link!

Edit: Koji Shiraishi. Got it.

Neat

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 5, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Friday the 13th films flat out say they're in New Jersey in the 1st and a few of the other films.

They don’t actually say the words “New Jersey” at any point in the series. But the first one is set in/near Hope, NJ a real place where they shot the first film. It was probably purely accidental but there’s enough consistency in the background elements that you can tell when* they switched from filming in the Northeast because suddenly all the trees are different.

This also means that later on when they forget what they wrote and start calling the town Crystal Lake it will really piss you off if you’re the kind of psychopath that watches the entire Friday the 13th series and takes notes.

*It was Part III in case you’re curious. Part I was shot in Jersey, Part II in Connecticut.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

They don’t actually say the words “New Jersey” at any point in the series. But the first one is set in/near Hope, NJ a real place where they shot the first film. It was probably purely accidental but there’s enough consistency in the background elements that you can tell when* they switched from filming in the Northeast because suddenly all the trees are different.

This also means that later on when they forget what they wrote and start calling the town Crystal Lake it will really piss you off if you’re the kind of psychopath that watches the entire Friday the 13th series and takes notes.

*It was Part III in case you’re curious. Part I was shot in Jersey, Part II in Connecticut.

No, I'm pretty sure there were shots of signs and poo poo that were New Jersey road signs and cities in New Jersey.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

No, I'm pretty sure there were shots of signs and poo poo that were New Jersey road signs and cities in New Jersey.

That’s what I mean. No one ever says, out loud, the words “New Jersey”, but the first movie was shot in NJ and the second in Connecticut made to look like New Jersey. Then they stopped doing even that, and it’s very visible if you pay attention.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We’re counting stuff shown too. If it says it in the film (or series) any place at all that’s the place it be

Like Halloween clearly takes place in California same with ANOES but yet they’re both set in haddenfield, Illinois and Springwood, Ohio

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To avoid arguments let’s give Terrifer to New York 😈😈😈😈

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Xiahou Dun posted:

That’s what I mean. No one ever says, out loud, the words “New Jersey”, but the first movie was shot in NJ and the second in Connecticut made to look like New Jersey. Then they stopped doing even that, and it’s very visible if you pay attention.

I'm not even sure what you are arguing. No one goes around announcing the state that they are in or the town their in in most movies. Its clearly from the 1st film and others set in New Jersey.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Looking it up or course Jason goes to hell fucks with it. Saying it’s set in Connecticut lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm not even sure what you are arguing. No one goes around announcing the state that they are in or the town their in in most movies. Its clearly from the 1st film and others set in New Jersey.

At no point was I disagreeing with you. You said they say they are in New Jersey, I responded that there isn’t dialogue but it’s obvious from scenery and props.

It’s called nuance, my person. Sometimes people agree with you while being more specific.