Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s such good shiv pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s such good shiv pal

lol

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Defending your title in a falls count anywhere match could you just hop in a car and take the time limit draw?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

King Of Coons posted:

Defending your title in a falls count anywhere match could you just hop in a car and take the time limit draw?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWqgPu-Esc8

boy do I have a match for you

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

King Of Coons posted:

If there's a stated time limit, sure. Otherwise you'll be looking over your shoulder the rest of your life to make sure your opponent doesn't jump you.

There was a Lance Steel match that went 23 hours and ended the show after it started

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

lmao

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

SG Bamboo posted:

If there's a stated time limit, sure. Otherwise you'll be looking over your shoulder the rest of your life to make sure your opponent doesn't jump you.

There was a Lance Steel match that went 23 hours and ended the show after it started

ty. Also lol

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, I don’t know how to ask this without coming off poorly.

I see the MOTY thread and a lot of links to smaller federations. As someone who doesn’t have a lot of time beyond a few of the two main US feds, how can I tell what type of match is being called a MOTY.

I’m asking because if I’m going to spend the time to watch more wrestling I’d prefer to watch crazy stunts and splashes, and less big guy does Superman punch/chest slap fest/peoples elbow or the blood drinking I saw in AEW recently.

I guess im asking if the other regions are well rounded on known for specific match types?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Not regions so much as individual promotions, but yes - most companies are known for offering certain styles of wrestling. If crazy stunts and splashes are your thing, you might think about getting into lucha. AAA and CMLL are the two biggest companies, but since I only know a bit about them I'll defer to someone more familiar with their offerings.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I remember a match a few years ago (maybe mid to late 2010s) where I believe Taichi was fighting another member of Suzuki-Gun in the Best of Super Juniors. They were teammates and didn't want to actually fight so they just stalled for ten minutes without touching each other before one accidentally did so and it caused them to start brawling. Does anyone remember more details about this match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pillowpants posted:

I see the MOTY thread and a lot of links to smaller federations. As someone who doesn’t have a lot of time beyond a few of the two main US feds, how can I tell what type of match is being called a MOTY.

I’m asking because if I’m going to spend the time to watch more wrestling I’d prefer to watch crazy stunts and splashes, and less big guy does Superman punch/chest slap fest/peoples elbow or the blood drinking I saw in AEW recently.

I guess im asking if the other regions are well rounded on known for specific match types?

If you want to watch crazy stunts and splashes watch CMLL.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

TTBF posted:

I remember a match a few years ago (maybe mid to late 2010s) where I believe Taichi was fighting another member of Suzuki-Gun in the Best of Super Juniors. They were teammates and didn't want to actually fight so they just stalled for ten minutes without touching each other before one accidentally did so and it caused them to start brawling. Does anyone remember more details about this match?

this appears to be the match you're looking for

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=111&nr=42381

e; no problem! :)

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 4, 2024

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lily Catts posted:

I guess this yeah, I've been trying to look for examples in puro especially but it seems more rigid in that regard, even if you've been loyal to a promotion for a decade or more. Like if you sent a fan a couple of years into the future to watch the same wrestler they'd be shocked that said wrestler is holding the big belt or something.

EVIL went from the midcard to world champ, for a while.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SG Bamboo posted:

Theres a title match in UK wrestling that I think is still ongoing, two years and counting, Session moth Marina vs Gene Munny

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

As others have said if you want stunts without any of the stuff you dislike about AEW, then you pretty much have to go to CMLL. There's plenty of stunts based promotions in Lucha Libre or elsewhere but they generally mix it up with hardcore, death match, or chop battles.

CMLL has a youtube channel you can get a membership to for two shows a week but they also release them a few months later under the live tab. There's also VK if you don't want to pay.
https://www.youtube.com/@VideosOficialesCMLL/featured

I highly suggest you check out the luchablog twitter account (especially the bio) https://twitter.com/luchablog and his cubsfan blog if you want to follow the storylines/find great matches http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/

You're not going to find many MOTY nominations in the MOTY thread because there's not enough goons who follow Lucha Libre to nominate.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

Who are/were notable wrestlers who were known as undercarders/midcarders but over time (in years) worked their way into being main eventers and top champions even? I'm guessing JBL counts, for better or for worse? Edge also seemed to be a midcarder but became a legit main eventer as well. People who were clearly destined for the main event spot don't count.

Kzy spent years in Dragon Gate as the resident loss post for the heel unit until he joined Dia.hearts and started building himself up there and after the unit disbanded. His push up the card coincided with Tozawa leaving and he was able to be slotted almost seamlessly into Tozawa's old position on the card.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

fez_machine posted:

As others have said if you want stunts without any of the stuff you dislike about AEW, then you pretty much have to go to CMLL. There's plenty of stunts based promotions in Lucha Libre or elsewhere but they generally mix it up with hardcore, death match, or chop battles.

CMLL has a youtube channel you can get a membership to for two shows a week but they also release them a few months later under the live tab. There's also VK if you don't want to pay.
https://www.youtube.com/@VideosOficialesCMLL/featured

I highly suggest you check out the luchablog twitter account (especially the bio) https://twitter.com/luchablog and his cubsfan blog if you want to follow the storylines/find great matches http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/

You're not going to find many MOTY nominations in the MOTY thread because there's not enough goons who follow Lucha Libre to nominate.

Thanks - but I guess my question is about Japanese Wrestling then. What is the difference in style?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

watch dragon gate

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Thanks - but I guess my question is about Japanese Wrestling then. What is the difference in style?

Most main event and heavyweight wrestlers in the big Japanese promotions (NJPW, AJPW, NOAH) tend to be bigger, heavier hitting, less high-flying though the last decade that has started to change.

The junior heavyweights (singles or tag) tend to be more acrobatic, Lucha influenced matches. It was a place the Young Bucks worked before founding AEW, for instance.

DDT is another major group that has some high-flying but also more comedy. That said, Kota Ibushi, Kenny Omega and Konosuke Takeshita came through there (among others) so it’s also good quality at the top.

Alaois posted:

watch dragon gate

Dragon Gate is the most Lucha-style federation in Japan, and definitely leans more high-flyer. That’s probably where you want to look.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pillowpants posted:

- New Japan is the biggest promotion, and has a pretty broad range from comedy to hard-hitting to amazing storytelling.
- DDT mixes a lot of comedy stuff in the undercard with extremely high quality wrestling in their main events.
- NOAH is very hard-hitting and takes itself more seriously, though they sometimes (too often in my opinion) are too obsessed with older stars at the expense of their young guys.
- Tokyo Joshi Pro is tremendous fun and can do a lot of emotional stuff between their comedy and silliness.
- DDT, NOAH & TJPW are all available as part of one package under Wrestle Universe, and is incredibly great value.
- Stardom is the second biggest promotion in Japan (and at times outdrew New Japan, if I recall correctly?) and people rave about it, though I've seen very little of it.
- Big Japan does a lot of deathmatch stuff, I haven't seen any of it so can't speak to the quality
- Dragon Gate to the best of knowledge is lots of high speed stuff from younger, smaller wrestlers (somebody correct me on that if I'm wrong!)

There are other promotions people can tell you more about : Ganbare Pro, GLEAT, Gatoh Move, (and All Japan of course!) etc, but I hope this helps somewhat.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 5, 2024

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

- Big Japan does a lot of deathmatch stuff, I haven't seen any of it so can't speak to the quality
There are other promotions people can tell you more about : Ganbare Pro, GLEAT, Gatoh Move etc, but I hope this helps somewhat.

Big Japan's deathmatch division is not the best, especially since a lot of their more promising talent went to FREEDOMS so they're stuck with old guys that can't move and Yuko Miyamoto. The Strong division is heckin rad, there's a handful of great talent there and the style is fairly generic stiff strikes which can be found in far bigger companies.

GLEAT are a mix of the high energy Dragongate lucharesu style (as they were formed by a cadre of former DG guys) and UWF style (shoot style, heavy on matwork and open palm strikes), all their shows are free on YouTube although the quality varies drastically between shows

GanPro in a word is earnest. It's a place for people to be their best selves where they couldn't be in a bigger company so comes across a lot more raw than other promotions under the Cyberfight/Wrestle Universe umbrella. Their Korakuen shows are good value but otherwise are pretty skippable. They also have a women's offshoot called Ganbare Joshi which has 3 roster members and a lot of freelancers

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

simply put, "chest slap fest", as you described it. I take it you disliked Eddie Kingston's match at the PPV, Kingston is a huge fan of classic Japanese high work rate wrestling.

In Japanese wrestling one of the important pieces of psychology and match layout is proving how tough you are compared to another wrestler. Chop battles are one of the safest way to deal hard and fast real pain to the other wrestler.

You aren't going to see a Japanese wrestling show without at least one chop battle, which is why I didn't mention any Japanese wrestling promotions. But if you can tolerate seeing it, Dragon Gate is your best bet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ganbare Pro makes up for any shortcomings it has with sheer exuberance. While your tastes definitely seem to swing lucha, I can't praise Wrestle Universe enough for being an incredible deal with four very different, very watchable federations for $10 a month.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
And BTW, it's probably worth noting that the promotions mentioned so far are the ones with their own streaming services. There are also the various promotions on NicoPro, which is explained in the guide to Japanese wrestling streaming that's up on Monthly Puroresu: https://monthlypuroresu.com/features/how-to-watch-stream-japanese-wrestling/

There's also stuff without an official streaming presence, but...

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

SG Bamboo posted:

23 hours and 36 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wo5D-Zoc4

On the topic of long matches, one that is always worth mentioning is Chris Hero wrestling a 3-hour gauntlet match for charity in Smash Wrestling 4 or so years ago. That was just insane stamina.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also if your tastes swing more towards Lucha, New Japan does Fantasicamania every year (apart from during COVID) which is always a great time with a bunch of luchadors coming over and having a great time because the crowds are super excited to see them and buy a shitload of merch. This year it runs February 12th - 19th and features: Mistico, Volador Jr., Titán, Atlantis Jr., Soberano Jr., Dark Panther, Stigma, Ultimo Guerrero, Hechicero, Rocky Romero, Templario, Stuka Jr., OKUMURA, Mascara Dorada, Pegasso, Brilliante Jr., Magnus &, Difunto

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

In an early scene in The Iron Claw, at a WCCW show, a guy in a middle eastern headdress is outside the ring. Is that Chavo playing The Sheik? I heard he's in it but I definitely thought that was supposed to be Skandor Akbar.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In an early scene in The Iron Claw, at a WCCW show, a guy in a middle eastern headdress is outside the ring. Is that Chavo playing The Sheik? I heard he's in it but I definitely thought that was supposed to be Skandor Akbar.

Chavo plays the Sheik, so it could be him.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Not really a wrestling question, but has there ever been a shoot MMA style tag team match?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
wikipedia notes UWFi as having had tag team matches though I have never heard of any specific ones or seen it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

fez_machine posted:

simply put, "chest slap fest", as you described it. I take it you disliked Eddie Kingston's match at the PPV, Kingston is a huge fan of classic Japanese high work rate wrestling.

In Japanese wrestling one of the important pieces of psychology and match layout is proving how tough you are compared to another wrestler. Chop battles are one of the safest way to deal hard and fast real pain to the other wrestler.

You aren't going to see a Japanese wrestling show without at least one chop battle, which is why I didn't mention any Japanese wrestling promotions. But if you can tolerate seeing it, Dragon Gate is your best bet.

It’s not that I dislike other styles…it’s just easier to get my kid to watch lucha style with me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Grey posted:

Not really a wrestling question, but has there ever been a shoot MMA style tag team match?

You mean in actual MMA as opposed to shoot style wrestling? The Japanese MMA company ZST used to do them. I'm pretty sure I've seen them some low level Russian MMA too, like sub M-1 cards. So they've definitely happened

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The Grey posted:

Not MMA but Ive seen submission grappling events that had tag team events in them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Suleman posted:

Chavo plays the Sheik, so it could be him.

Yeah I just wasn't sure if that was him there, or if he's some blink-and-you'll-miss-it rando and the guy outside is supposed to be Skandor. At the time the movie takes place, Sheik was at like the very end of his in-ring career and Skandor was a fixture in WCCW.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Defenestrategy posted:

Not MMA but Ive seen submission grappling events that had tag team events in them.

only tag? pfft. howling at 5 refs lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Vi-kH_kHI&hd=1

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

And now let's hold it in the middle of an abandoned Discovery Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qBIXjXw7c

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wasn't there a show in the Pacific Northwest about 15 years ago that did an MMA tag match? I could have sworn it was the Sapp Tacoma Dome show but it wasn't.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh man, those insane 5-on-5 Russian warehouse fights, I forgot about those :allears: An old roommate found them on YouTube and showed them to me and we spent several sleepless nights hooting and hollering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

And at the other end of the wtf scale there’s those 1v1 in a phone booth/front seat of a car promotions