Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It took loving forever to get - the three-block (lol) pilot project opened in 2015 - but I gotta say: the bike path and all the other multimodal improvements being made to Broadway have been reeeeeeeal nice to see take shape over the last few months

Now we just need to actually connect it to the I-25 & Broadway Station instead of having it end like two blocks away, lmao

(This is South Broadway in Denver, for reference)

Seattle's broadway has that too see here's where the unprotected bikelane has to cross two different streetcar tracks that share right-of-way with cars

Here's where we dedicated a full lane to parking but made the streetcar's boarding zone share a lane with the only SoV through lane right before a stoplight, guaranteeing the streetcar will never be able to pull up to its stop to board or deboard people while the light is red and also providing a conflict point between transit riders and cyclists as they have to cross the bike lane to reach the streetcar stop

Here's where cyclists go to be shoved into tracks by drivers aggressively trying to turn right on red into the streetcar lane that is also their through traffic lane even though there is a "no turn on red" sign at that intersection because that, like the car visibly crept into the zebra crossing in the actual street view shot, is never enforced

Haha I wonder what would have happened if some lunatic was actually trying to use this "infrastructure" and was standing with their bike in the box to wait for the light to change

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Oldest Man posted:

Haha I wonder what would have happened if some lunatic was actually trying to use this "infrastructure" and was standing with their bike in the box to wait for the light to change

Any given human can only die once, so the stats wouldn't be that bad overall.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Platystemon posted:

Rare American ‘W’.

drat that's nice as hell

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

don't speak to me or my son ever again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Terminal carbrain

https://twitter.com/Kattressa/status/1742936677642031108?t=D4hbdM9BwpmHsf69lW77AA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Kattressa/status/1742970494641435098?t=Qq-wznB3AEQJaA7F8NChEg&s=19

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If there's one place to drive fast and dumb, it's the highway/interstate. By law there are no pedestrians, bicyclists, pets, etc to run over, just other car brained lunatics

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

500excf type r posted:

If there's one place to drive fast and dumb, it's the highway/interstate. By law there are no pedestrians, bicyclists, pets, etc to run over, just other car brained lunatics

When the electric scooters starting popping up everywhere a few years ago I saw people riding em on the highway shoulder multiple times, brave souls them people were.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Left lane derangement is the worst possible response to having to drive on the highway all the time, but people would still rather have that than trains.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the thing about being on a bus or a train is that it drives itself without needing your attention

the thing about being on a bike, or even walking, is that not only do you beat the traffic so well that you're always moving, but the mere act of moving requires your attention at all times, so you're never bored

the car is basically the worst of both worlds because it's dangerous and/or punitive enough to require that you remain engaged at all times, but traffic means there are long stretches of nothing happening that are inescapable anyway

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

I enjoy riding so much and I'm surrounded by beautiful scenery but I'm worried about exponentially increasing my risk of catastrophic injury or death :(
Now you know why gravel is so popular (especially in the US), and why I only ride MTBs for fun. gently caress cars forever.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Left lane derangement is the worst possible response to having to drive on the highway all the time, but people would still rather have that than trains.
Driving the speed limit on single lane roads creates unbelievable amounts of road rage, it's so funny.

500excf type r posted:

Bikes are like the cars of the gravel "walking" trails
That's no just on gravel dummy. You should *always* treat peds the way you want cars to treat you.

Platystemon posted:

Rare American ‘W’.

V nice. Would be better split across the street, but not bad. Love the physical barrier that *also* prevents dooring.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 14:28 on Jan 5, 2024

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

500excf type r posted:

there's this "bike gang" that does mass rides around town here (cool) but terrorizes pedestrians (not cool) and plays chicken with cars the whole time, it's a miracle none of them have been shot by a driver yet

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

don't get me started on hike/bike/horse trails.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ArmedZombie posted:

don't get me started on hike/bike/horse trails.
Our local MTB association terrorized the horse riders into staying off the multi-use trails they’re not supposed to use and it was SUCH an improvement.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

500excf type r posted:

yeah, on the freeway I just stay in the right lane at the speed limit and that still enrages people. it rules

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, on the freeway I just stay in the right lane at the speed limit and that still enrages people. it rules

I drive the speed limit in the middle lane (if I'm not exiting the highway within a mile) which makes people even more mad

Apr 7, 2003

Not too long ago I was doing the speed limit in the right lane on US 30 and some guy raged the gently caress out and passed me in a right turning lane. The left lane was completely open.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

right. if you're on a highway with three lanes in one direction, you can cruise in the center lane at a speed faster than the speed limit, other people will use the left lane to pass but inevitably someone in that lane will start to camp out, making other aggressive dipshits veer into the right lane from behind you and then veer back into the center lane after they've passed you. where's the fire? there's nowhere worth going to along I-90 in Wisconsin lol.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

WaryWarren posted:

right. if you're on a highway with three lanes in one direction, you can cruise in the center lane at a speed faster than the speed limit, other people will use the left lane to pass but inevitably someone in that lane will start to camp out, making other aggressive dipshits veer into the right lane from behind you and then veer back into the center lane after they've passed you. where's the fire? there's nowhere worth going to along I-90 in Wisconsin lol.
In my anecdotal experience, Wisconsin drivers very much prefer to pass on the right, even if the left lane is wide open.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

driving my mom's subaru over christmas and i got obsessed with adaptive cruise control. i was always a cruise control guy before but it maintaining a set distance from the car in front of me is loving amazing. i could right-lane the entire way across the country

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh u mad at my speed? its literally exactly the same as the car 3 seconds ahead of me

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

cat botherer posted:

In my anecdotal experience, Wisconsin drivers very much prefer to pass on the right, even if the left lane is wide open.

same for Kansas I don't understand it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
while driving my wife to her doctor's appointment this morning a city bus passed me on the right using the bike lane in a 25 mph zone while I was going the speed limit. we then ended up at the same red lights for the next three intersections so it was totally worth it of course

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I was going the speed limit (30) through a residential area and this lady was tailgating me and getting pissed, then when we both turned into the same parking lot she gunned it and drove through a bunch of empty parking spaces to get to the stop sign 1 second faster

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

spiritual bypass posted:

oh u mad at my speed? its literally exactly the same as the car 3 seconds ahead of me

I think you will find that it is vitally important that I be tailgating the car three seconds ahead of you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Not too long ago I was doing the speed limit in the right lane on US 30 and some guy raged the gently caress out and passed me in a right turning lane. The left lane was completely open.
My sibling used to live in southern france (with prob some of the most aggro drivers in the world) and said driving in the US was way more stressful because everyone is either aggro or zoned out on their phone, but you never know which it'll be.

i say swears online posted:

driving my mom's subaru over christmas and i got obsessed with adaptive cruise control. i was always a cruise control guy before but it maintaining a set distance from the car in front of me is loving amazing. i could right-lane the entire way across the country
radar cruise + adas is a great combo for highway safety.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think so much of rage driving is people who are late to jobs they loving hate going to anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

i say swears online posted:

It's literally game changing, such a fan

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think so much of rage driving is people who are late to jobs they loving hate going to anyway.
Quality driving on a mountain road with good sightlines is legit so much fun; but it's a staggering waste of natural/social resources that shouldn't exist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gradenko_2000 posted:

the thing about being on a bus or a train is that it drives itself without needing your attention

A bus is a better self-driving car than a Tesla.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cruise control going the speed limit...we love it folks

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

revolting to see car love itt. I'm dry heaving rn

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

evil_bunnY posted:

My sibling used to live in southern france (with prob some of the most aggro drivers in the world) and said driving in the US was way more stressful because everyone is either aggro or zoned out on their phone, but you never know which it'll be.
Driving in non-Italian continental Europe is great. The difference in driving quality is just astonishing. Italy, on the other hand, is way the gently caress worse than any country I've been to in my life.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cat botherer posted:

Driving in non-Italian continental Europe is great. The difference in driving quality is just astonishing. Italy, on the other hand, is way the gently caress worse than any country I've been to in my life.

sounds like you lack passione 🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

cat botherer posted:

I thought they all rode Vespas there. beep beep

Apr 7, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Mama mia

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cat botherer posted:

Yeah italian drivers are 100% sociopaths.

netizen posted:

I thought they all rode Vespas there. beep beep
There's a lot of motorized 2-wheeled traffic in the city, but also many, many cars. Urban cycling in Italy is an Experience.