Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

Ryzen 1600 has hardware encoding and really well compared to chips at the time.

Are you sure you are understanding what you are posting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

LRADIKAL posted:

Are you sure you are understanding what you are posting?

1. How does the Ryzen 1600(thus AMD) support transcoding
2. Here's an article showing how it does transcoding?

Maybe remove some of the smarm?

Okay I see now. AMD CPUs have no hardware video encode/decode at all

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 31, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I knew hardware transcoding on AMD CPU’s was non existent in the past with Plex, was wondering if that changed at all. Guess not - I believe my current Xeon supports Quicksync so for Plex duties the “upgrade” might actually be a downgrade….

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

1. How does the Ryzen 1600(thus AMD) support transcoding
2. Here's an article showing how it does transcoding?

Maybe remove some of the smarm?

Okay I see now. AMD CPUs have no hardware video encode/decode at all

Some do.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16824/amd-ryzen-7-5700g-and-ryzen-5-5600g-apu-review/6

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My Ryzen 3 2200G based Plex server does HW encoding with the iGPU that looks pretty good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I knew hardware transcoding on AMD CPU’s was non existent in the past with Plex, was wondering if that changed at all. Guess not - I believe my current Xeon supports Quicksync so for Plex duties the “upgrade” might actually be a downgrade….

Only Ryzen CPUs that have an integraded GPU are capable of hardware transcoding.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Couple more questions as I get back into this:

1. Is it worth installing Docker Desktop for some of the apps that don't have native windows support, like Overseerr or Homarr? Alternately are there any other companion apps I should be looking at? Being able to easily add media from my phone would be sweet, and I'd also love a centralized place to see current downloads.

2. Right now I have two 4TB drives and I'm getting low on space. I have them organized with TV Shows A-M on one and then TV Shows N-Z and Movies on the other. If I add another drive my organization is going to get all messed up. I'm guessing most people use some kind of software to add physical drives to a pool so that they can just have a Movies folder and a TV Shows folder? Is there some way I can do that without having to move all my stuff off the existing drives first?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

prom candy posted:

Couple more questions as I get back into this:

1. Is it worth installing Docker Desktop for some of the apps that don't have native windows support, like Overseerr or Homarr? Alternately are there any other companion apps I should be looking at? Being able to easily add media from my phone would be sweet, and I'd also love a centralized place to see current downloads.

2. Right now I have two 4TB drives and I'm getting low on space. I have them organized with TV Shows A-M on one and then TV Shows N-Z and Movies on the other. If I add another drive my organization is going to get all messed up. I'm guessing most people use some kind of software to add physical drives to a pool so that they can just have a Movies folder and a TV Shows folder? Is there some way I can do that without having to move all my stuff off the existing drives first?

These are some of the reasons I prefer something like Unraid instead of Windows for my Plex server - ease of quickly installing and trying out new GitHub docker containers and being able to manage media across multiple drives and shares without janitoring too much when I add or remove a new drive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

prom candy posted:

I'm guessing most people use some kind of software to add physical drives to a pool so that they can just have a Movies folder and a TV Shows folder?

You can add multiple drives/multiple folders to each of your Plex libraries. So if you want to just add a new drive you can and just add your new stuff to that and point your existing libraries at folders on it. Plex doesn't care.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Motronic posted:

You can add multiple drives/multiple folders to each of your Plex libraries.

Wow, I've run plex for almost a decade (using HDD pools) and the UI does NOT make this clear in the slightest.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chillmatic posted:

Wow, I've run plex for almost a decade (using HDD pools) and the UI does NOT make this clear in the slightest.

I stumbled across it years ago trying to do drive migrations with the least amount of downtime - add the new drive/folder to the library and start the file move process.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

teagone posted:

My Ryzen 3 2200G based Plex server does HW encoding with the iGPU that looks pretty good.

teagone posted:

Only Ryzen CPUs that have an integraded GPU are capable of hardware transcoding.

I see, I guess that makes sense. Does the GT730 really not support hardware transcoding in Plex though?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I see, I guess that makes sense. Does the GT730 really not support hardware transcoding in Plex though?

Based on some Reddit posts there appear to have been two different chips sold as the GT730, one of which can't do it at all, the other can but probably isn't going to do better in any metric than software transcoding on your CPU.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

IOwnCalculus posted:

Based on some Reddit posts there appear to have been two different chips sold as the GT730, one of which can't do it at all, the other can but probably isn't going to do better in any metric than software transcoding on your CPU.

Ah, that sucks. I also have a spare RX570 4GB card, but seems like Plex transcode does not work on AMD graphics cards either.*

Oh well, not loss really. It's just spare parts I had lying around.

*They say it might, depends on the card, not really tested and not nearly as good as QuickSync/Nvidia

E: Just double checked my Unraid server, currently rocking a E3-1225 v3 which is apparently one of the first intel procs to support QuickSync haha.

Double Edit: comedy option: purchase a cheap intel ARC card for Plex transcoding to help the Ryzen 1600...hmm...

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 31, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I don’t think intel arc has unraid support yet

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So would the Ryzen 4000 series work or stick to Intel for transcoding?

I've been looking at getting this to run Plex https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-4-1GHz-Display-Gaming-Computer/dp/B0B3XRBTV9/?th=1

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bonzo posted:

So would the Ryzen 4000 series work or stick to Intel for transcoding?

I've been looking at getting this to run Plex https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-4-1GHz-Display-Gaming-Computer/dp/B0B3XRBTV9/?th=1

For a computer bought for the purpose? Intel.

Ryzen XXXXG CPU's can do it.

For NVIDIA questions, refer to this chart which shows NVENC supporting graphics cards along with the types of video they can process and how many streams they can support simultaneously.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I picked up a Quadro P400 for pretty cheap and now I don't worry about transcoding at all.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kri kri posted:

I don’t think intel arc has unraid support yet

Linux 6.2 kernel supposedly adds support: https://news.itsfoss.com/linux-kernel-6-2-release/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, when Cruft posts that your plans might be a bit out there you know it’s time to step back and rethink things through ;)

:xd::love:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are the current tier of Asustor NAS (Specifically the 3302T) good enough for transcoding?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kirios posted:

Are the current tier of Asustor NAS (Specifically the 3302T) good enough for transcoding?

The 3302T doesn't look to have an iGPU, so you can get some software transcodes out of it, but not well.

This is the Plex list of devices, that can help narrow down something that works for you. The 3302T is line 28. It looks like the 3304T v2 had a celeron w/ quick sync.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh hey that actually works out beautifully - thanks man!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Are there any good best practices for defense in depth of your Plex service and *arr service stack? It occurred to me the other day that my only real security boundary is the edge of my local network, and any house guest who logs into my WiFi has basically full license to muck with my radarr configurations, harvest api keys, etc. Other than the obvious steps of setting passwords on the *arrs, what other steps should I take, should I be sticking all of my IoT devices on VLANs or something?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

What sort of people are you inviting into your house??

Wouldn't a guest wifi work?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Talorat posted:

Are there any good best practices for defense in depth of your Plex service and *arr service stack? It occurred to me the other day that my only real security boundary is the edge of my local network, and any house guest who logs into my WiFi has basically full license to muck with my radarr configurations, harvest api keys, etc. Other than the obvious steps of setting passwords on the *arrs, what other steps should I take, should I be sticking all of my IoT devices on VLANs or something?

All of my services are protected with Authelia SSO and SWAG reverse proxies. Except for Plex which provides its own SSO.

Also my services are segmented on docker networks. And none of my Arrs are exposed to the internet.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah I just give people guest wifi that can't talk to the rest of the LAN and put all my *arrs behind nginx enforcing HTTP basic auth. Plex has its own SSO as mentioned so I don't sweat that.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
You pretty much named the two things I feel like are the standards, IoT on their own VLAN and guest WiFi.

If you're running docker containers, have them on their own custom docker network, and set up a reverse proxy if you're going to have anything externally facing.

efb

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

I was gonna say, lmao. That post made me laugh thinking the average person would know how to do any of that, hehe.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

All of my services are protected with Authelia SSO and SWAG reverse proxies. Except for Plex which provides its own SSO.

:same: but I wrote my own authenticator because I didn't like authelia

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc all the major arrs are enforcing authentication these days. I also know the people that know my network password do not know or care about my bullshit so security via obscurity wins again.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is there an easy way to get the api stuff to pass through with Authelia in front of the arrs? I just followed a YouTube video to set up Authelia with Ngnix proxy manager and it borked all the API calls to Homepage when I set it up, so instead I just have a guest network.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is there an easy way to get the api stuff to pass through with Authelia in front of the arrs? I just followed a YouTube video to set up Authelia with Ngnix proxy manager and it borked all the API calls to Homepage when I set it up, so instead I just have a guest network.

Stop configuring them to loop back through the machine IP and use their docker DNS name plus port. This bypasses SSO completely since it’s all internal traffic.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nettle Soup posted:

lol honestly

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Half of this is me learning for work. I don't go overboard though. Techno Tim on YouTube is loving insane.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is there an easy way to get the api stuff to pass through with Authelia in front of the arrs?

No.

It's a complicated pain in the rear end requiring you to run at least two other services just for Authelia.

That's why I wrote my own, which is also a complicated pain in the rear end, but doesn't need any other services.

I recently stumbled across something that claims to provide OIDC with Caddy's built-in forward authentication doodad. It uses the same clever idea my thing uses: cryptographically sign the magic gubbins with a private key and make the browser keep track of state. I may give this a whirl some weekend, tying it in with my forgejo server, which includes an OIDC provider.

So, in closing, no.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 5, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Nettle Soup posted:

Perhaps a more realistic vector would be any of the lovely iot devices I put on the WiFi a million years ago and forgot about.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every so often I look at my ip table and wonder what the gently caress a connected device might be.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every so often I look at my ip table and wonder what the gently caress a connected device might be.

better believe I’m googling those MAC addresses and then going around my house and hunting down whatever thing it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, once in a while I'll do this too, and then assign a name to stuff in the router, which is a hardy feature.

It's bonkers that I'm now worried about exhausting a /24