Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's fine, not my favorite but I still pull m:rp out every now and then

M:RP is a lot of fun!

Also, there's a COIN game set on Mars that I P500'd a while back and am holding out hope it shows up one day.

EDIT: want to go on the record as being lukewarm on Vital "Track Go Up, Take Tile" Lacerda as posted about in the past. The man needs to learn how to trim his games down and make them actually fun versus exercises in set-up/take-down of lovely components mixed with what I see if I close my eyes and someone says the phrase "Middle-to-Heavy Weight Euro". I like the Gallerist but Lisboa is shockingly uninteresting from a gameplay perspective IN MY OPINION.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mr. Squishy posted:

Man, mars really is a cursed theme huh.

e: First Martians too. A font of bad games. Maybe the Age of Steam map is fun?
Maybe I’m missing something, but I was attempting to praise On Mars — not overly complicated for a Lacerda (as far as my limited experience goes), highly rated (behind only Kanban EV on BGG IIRC), and relatively short unless you get a bunch of AP players.

Am I in the minority?

I’ll have to check with the Age of Steam players in my group to see if any have the Mars map and/or if it’s any good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Admiralty Flag posted:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I was attempting to praise On Mars — not overly complicated for a Lacerda (as far as my limited experience goes), highly rated (behind only Kanban EV on BGG IIRC), and relatively short unless you get a bunch of AP players.

Am I in the minority?
Lacerda is one of the topics that can get vocal dissent in the thread/discord.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

We must be playing a different On Mars. When I got the one I own to the table, I had to insist that everyone arrived knowing the rules in advance because we wouldn't have time in an evening to both teach it and play a full game.

The shortest Lacerda is Escape Plan, which can easily play with five in less than two hours. It just has a lot of setup and although it's quite simple, it has a bit of a teaching burden. The Gallerist doesn't take much longer and is a bit more complex, but most of the burden is on learning what benefits are associated with each action.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SettingSun posted:

TfM lets players sandbag in perpetuity but the person who is winning should really cut the knot and just finish it off. That table will probably get mad at me because I will force endgame even when I’m losing. Get your engine rolling faster next time.

TfM derivative Ark Nova fixes this by having your score advance the endgame condition making it unavoidable.

I first played Ark Nova a couple of times last year and bounced off it. My friends who play it are super into it and their number of sessions are easily in the triple-digits. I never felt like I had even a remote chance at being competitive.

But I received a copy of Christmas, played a couple of times with non-hardcore players, and I'm really into it now. The BoardGameArena version is very good, and I fell in love with the solo version. I think I've played about 25 games in the last week. The strategy is a bit different solo (you only get 27 total turns, and the card display doesn't change nearly as often as in a multiplayer game), but it's definitely making me appreciate the game's depth and the flexibility required to get a good score.

I will never play Terraforming Mars again.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

We must be playing a different On Mars. When I got the one I own to the table, I had to insist that everyone arrived knowing the rules in advance because we wouldn't have time in an evening to both teach it and play a full game.
I did say “relatively short,” but yeah, I forgot how rough the first game was in terms of having to look up rules and iconography. In fact, before that, we played a practice 3 player game that lasted 3 hours where I think we got to LSS 2…granted, one of our players has extreme AP.

Once everyone has it down, it’s three hours* for four players so long as people aren’t playing like nitwits, and if they are, it’s their VPs that are suffering.

(* Doesn’t include unboxing/setup time, which is moderate.)

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
Terraforming Mars is a great game. I haven't had a 7 hour game, which sounds horrendous. We play it semi-reguarily, without expansions. Only a few people that play with us are hardcore, with the rest of us not having memorized the deck. It was a pretty cool moment when a dude manage to steal banker from me by utilizing that card that turns heat production into money production.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As much as I like Venus Next thematically and conceptually I leave it out more than I play it. Prelude stays in, as does Colonies because I think the moons add an interesting strategy layer and alternate means of getting some resources. Never played Turmoil.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's a lot of people who love low-interaction big engine builders with lots of sort of unique powers, and Terraforming Mars definitely fits the bill there. But it's so long, and so easily to end up going even longer if you get stuck in a meta where not enough people are pushing endgame that I'd rather play Gizmos or Raiders of the North Sea/Scythia over it.

More importantly, TM: Ares Expedition completely obsoletes OG Terraforming Mars by slapping on simultaneous action selection that forces players to push the end of the game.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I played Ark Nova on BGA yesterday, and I did not like it at all. Admittedly, I was still trying to figure out the rules and what all my options were, but at the same time, I got enough of the gist of the main gameplay loop to know I didn't like it at all. It's a "one big deck" game, just like Terraforming Mars and Wingspan, with all the problems that entails. You've gotta have a plot of land, and it needs to be next to the water, and you need the right partner zoos or universities, AND you need enough money, AND it needs to satisfy your win conditions, AND you need three other predators before you can play this, and on and on and on.

Congratulations, you have now successfully plotted one (1) animal. Now you need to sift through the entire deck to find another one that synergizes with it, good luck! (:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Honestly you should chuck that animal card if you didn't already satisfy most if not all of those conditions when you drew it. You've already lost if your strategy hinges on hoping you draw into the animals you need. You gotta play the field as it lies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a game that massively suffers from "the fun play is at odds with the correct play". You see a game like that, you want to build up your zoo and collect the cool animals, but it's really just an efficiency puzzle where most of the cards are dead draws even and especially when they encourage bonuses for combining them. They only pay off when a player gets extremely lucky then they feel like they had an outsized impact on the game. It fixes some problems with the TfM style but then leans heavily into others. Tom Lehman had it right all along, tableau builders should be well under an hour and end about the round someone gets an engine fully going. 

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

there are a few games I’ve walked away with a likely unfair negative first impression of by trying to learn via BGA lever-pulling. obsession and carnegie come to mind, and more recently undergrowth (which I really wanted to like, because mushrooms)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's funny as poo poo to me that one of the new animals in the marine expansion is zooplankton. Come to my zoo everyone! We've got microscopic organisms!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

panko posted:

there are a few games I’ve walked away with a likely unfair negative first impression of by trying to learn via BGA lever-pulling. obsession and carnegie come to mind, and more recently undergrowth (which I really wanted to like, because mushrooms)

Yeah, obsession definitely suffers there because so much of that game is about maintaining tempo, and the VPs just kinda flow in from all sources so it's hard to understand why you lost until you get good at the game. I like obsession because the tempo puzzle is really meaty and it has a lot of theme. Sometimes too much theme, as I wish there was a way to predict if the new friend (guest) is an American or a proper Brit.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

We really enjoyed playing through Paleo and the expansion early last year, and it maintains a good sense of discovery the whole way through (except for the final scenario of the original game, which is utter poo poo). Mixing and matching the modules didn't hold much appeal for us as the discovery is a big part of the game and there's none left once you've gone through the whole set of provided scenarios, but it's definitely worth playing through.

WhiteHowler posted:

But I received a copy of Christmas, played a couple of times with non-hardcore players, and I'm really into it now. The BoardGameArena version is very good, and I fell in love with the solo version. I think I've played about 25 games in the last week. The strategy is a bit different solo (you only get 27 total turns, and the card display doesn't change nearly as often as in a multiplayer game), but it's definitely making me appreciate the game's depth and the flexibility required to get a good score.

Someone made an alternative AI opponent for solo play called ARNO that makes it play a lot more like the multiplayer version (though I feel very silly playing solo with the stupid amount of table space it takes up). It's very slightly more upkeep but not much; there's also a website that does most of the upkeep for you.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I’m watching a video of Stonemaier explaining how to play Wyrmspan, and even though I’ve played much more complex games, it sounds exactly like Adam Scott trying to explain “The Cones of Dunshire” to people in Parks and Rec.

“Well you see, first I spend a coin to send my Adventurer to the Golden Grotto, where my dragon is just a Hatchling, so since I’ve collected several Milk tokens, I can advance my position on the Dragon Guild board which…”

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Has anyone played War of the Ring with 4 players before? We're looking to play this weekend and I'm not sure if we should just play the game 2-headed on each side or play with the official 4-player mode where each person only controls certain armies. I feel like I've read mixed reports about this in the past.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

golden bubble posted:

Yeah, obsession definitely suffers there because so much of that game is about maintaining tempo, and the VPs just kinda flow in from all sources so it's hard to understand why you lost until you get good at the game. I like obsession because the tempo puzzle is really meaty and it has a lot of theme. Sometimes too much theme, as I wish there was a way to predict if the new friend (guest) is an American or a proper Brit.

It definitely takes a minute on BGA to understand what's going on with Obsession. It took me a few games, but now with a lot under my belt it feels really great when you're able to hit the tempo just right.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Elysium posted:

I’m watching a video of Stonemaier explaining how to play Wyrmspan, and even though I’ve played much more complex games, it sounds exactly like Adam Scott trying to explain “The Cones of Dunshire” to people in Parks and Rec.

“Well you see, first I spend a coin to send my Adventurer to the Golden Grotto, where my dragon is just a Hatchling, so since I’ve collected several Milk tokens, I can advance my position on the Dragon Guild board which…”

Watching that video makes me appreciate Wingspan more. I think Wyrm looks like way more of my kind of game but I do think everything it adds (limited activations, more requirements) is going to confuse/anger Wingspan players, which kind of rules.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

why does it rule to confuse/anger wingspan players?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Radioactive Toy posted:

Has anyone played War of the Ring with 4 players before? We're looking to play this weekend and I'm not sure if we should just play the game 2-headed on each side or play with the official 4-player mode where each person only controls certain armies. I feel like I've read mixed reports about this in the past.

I've played four players more than two, and it's fine. Probably needs everyone to know what they're doing, but if you've got that, it's a nice change of pace from the two player game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've actually only played 4p, it's very fun, I'm sure it's not as tight a wargame as 2p but so what

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Marco Omnigamer did a video about a large cull of his board game collection. This video is quite different than the collection culls we typically see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouzmkxTe9jY

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

panko posted:

why does it rule to confuse/anger wingspan players?
Because liking Wingspan (or anything Stonemaier) is wrong.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

owning the wingspan fans by playing a game derived from it, also published by stonemaier :smugbert:

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

Marco Omnigamer did a video about a large cull of his board game collection. This video is quite different than the collection culls we typically see.

I know I’m getting old by the fact that out of all those games, I’m most jealous of the actual space and shelves

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think it would be funny if the sequel to Wingspan was weird and alienating to fans of the original. It could be boardgame's answer to Refn and Gosling following up Drive with Only God Forgives

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah I like dragon. dragon deez eggs towards my tableau

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Marco is such a boss. Love his dulcet tones.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

SettingSun posted:

As much as I like Venus Next thematically and conceptually I leave it out more than I play it. Prelude stays in, as does Colonies because I think the moons add an interesting strategy layer and alternate means of getting some resources. Never played Turmoil.

Turmoil is awful and contributes to the way-too-long game in several different ways - the loss of TR each round is the feeling-miserable cherry on top.

Best way to use it is to forget all the turmoil mechanics and just stack the ruling party tiles face down, shuffle, and flip one each generation, reshuffling when you finish - you get almost the same result as spending that extra 45 minutes on delegate turns and it adds incentives for placing tiles on the map. It's a shame most of the new cards deal with votes/parties. You can do something similar with the events if you want to mix it up but they take time to resolve so we don't bother.

Colonies makes the game longer because they tend in aggregate to encourage not terraforming - it takes a long time and investment for the heat/plant colonies to be better than just doing it directly. We don't play with colonies most of the time even though we're playing with about 300 extra corps/preludes and 1000 extra projects lifted from the giga expansion.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My gaming surprise of 2023 was the little known dexterity game Beyblade. That poo poo rocks

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Trip Reports (ish) for Ticket to Ride: Legends of the West.

If you're privileged enough to be able to buy a game MSRPs for about $10/game, I'll give this a pretty strong recommend so far. We just completed our third game, of twelve that give you the full legacy experience (as opposed to the "and now you get to play your customized board game" experience).

I bought it for my son for Christmas, and I've played three games with 3 players (along with my wife).

It's Ticket to Ride, that's that. It's no better as a board game. Possibly a little worse (there's some randomized luck in the event cards).

But as a legacy game? Superb. For a kid, it's a blast to be cracking stickers and opening boxes.

The first box you open has a hole puncher so you can punch tickets as you complete them. The look on my kids face when he found a hole puncher in his board game was pretty splendid.

My wife won the third game so she got to pick our first "destination", and she chose Florida. Opening up the Florida box and not only finding new rules and new stickers but a whole box full of circus themed mechanics and a "big top" sticker box full of circus stickers... It's just A+ legacy shenanigans.

I'm playing through Frosthaven right now which is obviously a better game, but TTR Legacy is just sublime legacy mechanics. For a family game, right now it's pretty premium for that kind of envelopes and stickers and family experience.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CitizenKeen posted:

If you're privileged enough to be able to buy a game MSRPs for about $10/game, I'll give this a pretty strong recommend so far

Buddy I've spent $100 on a game that I have yet to play more than once

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hoooo boy it would be awful if I had games that cost more than $10 a game.... Oofft can't imagine that at all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

honesty time how many games do you own that cost #DIV/0! per game (mine is 5 i think)

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

jesus WEP posted:

honesty time how many games do you own that cost #DIV/0! per game (mine is 5 i think)
I'm also at 5 I think, but 4 of them were part of a Kickstarter small games bundle that arrived recently (Sail, Chomp, Mind Space and Couture) and the other is Import/Export.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Redundant posted:

I'm also at 5 I think, but 4 of them were part of a Kickstarter small games bundle that arrived recently (Sail, Chomp, Mind Space and Couture) and the other is Import/Export.
two of mine are kickstarters (solar sphere, 1860), two are gifts that i haven’t looked at (Whitehall mystery, rear window) and the other is gloomhaven which i just haven’t had the time to dedicate to starting a whole-rear end campaign

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have quite a few, but most of them are KS releases that came in during the lockdowns and they all have solo modes so I can eliminate them at will. And there's a couple of Tiny Epics that haven't hit the table yet. Apart from that it's just Future Inc, which has only been on the shelf since Spiel and should hit the table soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I don't think I have any games I bought with my own funds which are unplayed, but I get most of my new games as gifts so that makes sense. My other half has a couple of games which we haven't played yet, and we haven't played the Scythe expansion either.