Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what the gently caress, I thought it was a lazy cash grab mobile game

no one told me it had Lyn vocals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

It looks like ten times more work has been put into it than in any other atlus spinoff in the last five years.

Yeah I never played Tactica but this looks like it's an entirely different league than that. Hope it's possible to play while avoiding shelling out for gacha.
Also even though it's set in Japan, I'm a little surprised it's not dubbed in Chinese.

Also if they've permanently retired Igor now, they really missed the opportunity for the glorious return of the OG wobbly legged Poser figure Philemon with his booming 1940s radio announcer voice.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Idk it looks kinda bad tbh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what the gently caress, I thought it was a lazy cash grab mobile game

no one told me it had Lyn vocals

If you've paid any attention to the gacha world over the past few years, Genshin Impact basically showed that there's a huge market for high production-value mobile games that can attract players who wouldn't normally touch a game like that. Chinese developers in particular have been eager to put that into practice. That said, this seems a little too much like a clone of P5 for my tastes, if that makes any sense?

Item Getter posted:

Also even though it's set in Japan, I'm a little surprised it's not dubbed in Chinese.

Chinese devs are also anime fans who geek out about their favorite Japanese voice actors. I assume there will also be a Mandarin dub, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gaius Marius posted:

It looks like ten times more work has been put into it than in any other atlus spinoff in the last five years.

Eh, Strikers had some real polish behind it (it's a 2020 game).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

From what I've seen outside of being a gacha where you get P5 characters and some OCs as cognitions with no story purpose (bad because gacha) the plot literally seems to be Discount Persona 5 (Featuring the first villain being a sports coach representing Lust and the second villain being a Japanese themed braggart) except the protag is a rich kid with a condo in Tokyo.

Which tbf I don't know if Persona 5 ever came out officially in China so cool for them besides the gacha. They're also pulling from more obscure figures for Peraonas so that's cook.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Which tbf I don't know if Persona 5 ever came out officially in China

I wonder how they'd handle Skull, iirc they had character models like ghost rider and dormammu completely blacked out in Marvel future fight because of their skeletal appearance

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been told it did come out in China, and Ryuji's model was altered, but not in the way you'd think.

His shoes in his everyday wear had a rising sun symbol on them, which was removed in the Chinese and Korean releases, as well as in Royal.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

That's not too bad!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chinese censorship is noting if not inconsistent. The skull being a mask probably gave it a pass while the shoes are an auto change the second they saw them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Still trying to finish FES again before P3 Reload comes out for the sake of comparison, just got to 10/20 (so I'm probably not gonna finish in time). One thing I really hope for is that they take the opportunity to flesh out some of the characters who need it. Akihiko is extremely bland in this game, and having just seen Fuuka's Persona evolution, I still don't understand what her character is supposed to be, she just makes no impression whatsoever (not to mention the catalyst for her Persona evolution being weaker than every other character's for no reason).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I've been avoiding gacha for a while now but if anything I just wish we got actual P6 news soon.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'd rather wait and see what happens with Metaphor. You can only rehash the same basic formula before it gets completely stale, especially when a bunch of things like weather and arguably the calendar day limit have lost their narrative relevance as the series goes on.

Persona 6 could be good but it needs to actually bring something new to the table, I don't think it would be good for the series to become Japanese AssCreed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

I'd rather wait and see what happens with Metaphor. You can only rehash the same basic formula before it gets completely stale, especially when a bunch of things like weather and arguably the calendar day limit have lost their narrative relevance as the series goes on.

Persona 6 could be good but it needs to actually bring something new to the table, I don't think it would be good for the series to become Japanese AssCreed.

I feel like there being 5+ years between entries kind of prevents that even if it doesn't change much, especially since it being part of the SMT series means that you're seeing the experimentation shuffled off into new niches rather than just in the same game.

Besides we all know that after the one set in a small town where a murderer is loose and the one with a heavy criminal/prison theme, the next one is going to be about cowboys and horse races.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Actually Persona 6 will be the one about escaping a "prison", since Persona 5 was about morally good criminals who did nothing wrong. It will also have forced FeMC but she'll be bi so it's a win win.

Well, except for the part where Door-kun gets killed and they reboot the series, and then we get the cowboy Personas.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
we skipped the one about joining the mafia

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

YggiDee posted:

we skipped the one about joining the mafia

I suppose they could do some sort of crossover with Like A Dragon, yeah

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

It is the year 2050 we have a persona set in HS but in NYC we play as a FeMC teacher who is secretly a supervillain by night with a cat mascot.

Kale
May 14, 2010

NachtSieger posted:

I think it owns that the anime elf woman's name is Hulkenberg.

And that she's voiced by Saori Hayami and looking more in line with Yamato from One Piece in terms of characterization

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Metaphor looks interesting. Given that a big plot point is a contest for Kingship, I am guessing there will be a bunch of factions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

That said, this seems a little too much like a clone of P5 for my tastes, if that makes any sense?

Shocking: Persona 5 Spinoff Looks Like Persona 5

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyp-x0e2tn8

This got algo'd to me earlier today and man. I remember this whole thing, what a time.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sapozhnik posted:

I suppose they could do some sort of crossover with Like A Dragon, yeah

Reload gonna replace Vincent's cameo from P3P with an Ichiban cameo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Actually Persona 6 will be the one about escaping a "prison", since Persona 5 was about morally good criminals who did nothing wrong. It will also have forced FeMC but she'll be bi so it's a win win.

I feel like one way to go with a Persona 6 would be "Persona in a different time period." So like Persona in the 2040s with some level of futurism, or the 1980s/1920s/etc. They basically need to shake things up while retaining certain core elements. I'm pretty sure it'll always have Japanese high school students as the main party, for example - I don't see them ever changing that, so it still needs to be "Japanese high school." But they've already used core distinctive locations in the modern world - rural/urban, and "suburban" isn't really distinctive enough vs those two in a Japanese setting. Granted, going far into the future or past means you don't get most of the references to P3/P4/P5 characters.

Maybe they could get really weird and do a Persona version of Fate Extra/CCC.

Neeksy posted:

I'm not sure what's to necessarily be gained from speculating via dissecting trailers and interviews now vs waiting to find out actual details as they come out organically. Unless there's some kind of bet going on.

This isn't a loving game. Peoples' lives are riding on this. I have a sniper positioned outside of my window just waiting for the news that Metaphor's skill system won't resemble Digital Devil Saga's.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P3 takes place in the 00s but with the presence of futuretech that... honestly is not very well integrated into the story.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBiO4Fdv7wk

Reload OP

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

LOL at Fuuka doing the "Trust nobody, not even yourself" thing

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It seriously sounds like she's off-key during a bunch of it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked the animation. No comment on the vocals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like it!

edit: I'm not sure if the singing in the latter parts is out of tune so much as just kinda "shouty" (but I've always had a pretty hard time telling if vocals are in tune, despite having a background in a musical instrument that requires fine control over tone)

Neeksy posted:

P3 takes place in the 00s but with the presence of futuretech that... honestly is not very well integrated into the story.

Yeah I wasn't sure how to integrate P3 into the current "Persona brand." Its setting is weirdly semi-futuristic. I feel like its current "brand" is geared towards more realistic settings (both P4 and P5 - which represent most of the modern series' history at this point - basically separate the "real world" and "fantasy" portions of their settings, with Personas only even being usable in their respective "other worlds").

Then again, there are strong signs (I forget if anything was ever confirmed?) that P5 was initially going to be something more ambitious involving traveling around the world? Like from the animated scenes and what have you*.

I guess none of this matters much, given we probably won't even get P6 for at least another 3 years. Do we even know if it's being actively developed?

* Speaking of these, people have mentioned the weird thing with Ryuji's seeming death followed by the gameplay immediately "resurrecting" him, which makes it seem like he was maybe "meant" to die there. There's something similar with Morgana's "death," where the animators seem like they were tasked with "animating his disappearance," and then he immediately is brought back afterwards. Then again, Ryuji is alive in the Morgana scene, so who knows. It'd be interesting to know the whole story behind how P5's plot/setting evolved during development.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 5, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They haven't announced P6 yet, but P3 Reload wasn't announced at this time seven months ago so I dunno that we can make too many inferences about progress on it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To me it feels like the singer is either 1. reaching for some light melisma/vocal runs, like Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey do, or 2. it cut from the first verse to the more emotional/slightly altered final chorus, skipping like a key change in a bridge or something so there's no connective tissue so it feels off.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The walking animation is really awkward. Like extremely.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

like most of what i have seen from reload, it seems fine. i don't love or hate it, it's just okay.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I actually like that opening a good bit. More of a fan of whoever they got to do the new female vocals when its a new thing and not covering the original songs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
need more koro and less aigis imo

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

is it just me or does it feel like it sets up like it's gonna do a shot for every party member but then after mitsuru it just goes "eh, gently caress it, here's the rest in one shot" two separate times

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

There's a bunch of imagery that's dropped or not really used beyond just one shot, like the blue-painted people speaking at the start, or the girl jumping off the building and becoming a coffin during dark hour mid-fall, or the crow. Nothing really ends up being a constant leitmotif or anything.

Tired Moritz posted:

need more koro and less aigis imo

I'd say this is also true for the game itself tbh

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
on the other hand, stuff like the Akihiko-Shinjiro-Ken shot on the train, or the moon turning into a closed eye that cries blood, rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Junpei posted:

on the other hand, stuff like the Akihiko-Shinjiro-Ken shot on the train, or the moon turning into a closed eye that cries blood, rules

yeah i'm not able to declare that it's bad because there's enough in it where i'm like "that's cool, i like that" but as a whole it isn't amazing. it's not gonna stick with me the way some other ones have.