Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The best part is that they changed "Redneck" to "MAGA" so technically they were being more respectful by using the proper name instead of a slur

the_steve posted:

I can all but promise you, if George Lucas had done Star Wars from the Empire's point of view, those same chuds would be talking about the Rebellion the same way they do the Vietnamese/Arabs in a war movie starring a white guy.

Oh, they do that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

TremorX posted:

Oh, they do that anyway.

The Empire was just trying to enforce law and order. What's wrong with law and order?!

*All the laws are "it's illegal to be an alien" in a space opera*

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the_steve posted:

That's because in massively popular media like Star Wars and the like, the plucky rebels are the cool good guys.

I can all but promise you, if George Lucas had done Star Wars from the Empire's point of view, those same chuds would be talking about the Rebellion the same way they do the Vietnamese/Arabs in a war movie starring a white guy.

In American political history, I believe there are couple of more prominent rebellions than that...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TremorX posted:

The best part is that they changed "Redneck" to "MAGA" so technically they were being more respectful by using the proper name instead of a slur

Oh, they do that anyway.

Literally have seen bigger name GOP pundits say the death star was justified

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MechaCrash posted:

I don't know why you're surprised. These dumbfucks have the media literacy of a moldy turnip.
Not my edit, but it's the right time for it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Famous supervillain, Superman (Yes, I'm aware of Injustice)
There needs to be a Kellies category for stuff like this but I'm not sure what to call it. Often it shows up as Santa bad.

Oh! Let me know if it works.

Kellies Nomination: Are we the baddies?

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh! Let me know if it works.

Kellies Nomination: Are we the baddies?

That works, thanks!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Famous supervillain, Superman (Yes, I'm aware of Injustice)
There needs to be a Kellies category for stuff like this but I'm not sure what to call it. Often it shows up as Santa bad.
e: Kellies nomination: Are we the baddies?
they are SO ANGRY about "come on, man" because it's so dismissive of their golden god, and such a plea for sanity and reality they violently reacted every time. for awhile it was EVERYWHERE, like when psaki said "circle back" once or twice and suddenly it was all she ever said, or harris laughing and now she's "the ridiculous laughing vp!!!"

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
When has Green Day ever even made a song about trans rights? I don't remember one, so I presume he's just inserting his personal boogeymen into his comics.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Well, thread, today is my one-year anniversary of posting cartoons here. Of course, that's enough and I'll be stopping today. I look forward to the next year of being a conduit of just terrible, terrible poo poo for all of you.

Lisa Benson

Pedro X. Molina

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Randall Enos

Dave Whamond

John Darkow

Bill Bramhall

Paul Berge

Amjad Rasmi

Drew Sheneman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

David Horsey

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
This should have Trump tag-teaming with the far right to make it accurate, and even slightly entertaining as a political cartoon.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

"So, maybe we should bring back more human cashiers because self checkouts are both a lovely experience for the customer and an enabler of shoplifting?"
"No not like that, that would be bad for the bottom line"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Thoughtless posted:

When has Green Day ever even made a song about trans rights? I don't remember one, so I presume he's just inserting his personal boogeymen into his comics.
I don't know man, we can't catch all the dumb poo poo they complain about. I just don't have the the time to listen to them whine about nothing and everything all they want.

Edit: drat melodramatic fools

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 5, 2024

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

They didn't specifically write a song about trans people as far as I know. They did write King for a Day, which is about a cross-dresser. (Not the same thing, but I did see an anecdote on reddit of the lead singer grabbing a trans flag out of the audience and waving it around during it.)

Green Day posted:

My daddy threw me in therapy
He thinks I'm not a real man
Who put the drag in the drag queen?
Don't knock it until you've tried it

Sugar and spice and everything nice wasn't made for only girls
GI Joe in panty hose is makin' room for the one and only

The band has also made several pro-trans-rights statements, said they want their concerts to feel like a safe space for marginalized people (calling trans people out as an example specifically), etc. None of this is recent, of course. Billie Joe Armstrong was talking about being bisexual in the mid-90s. They've always been a politically active left-wing band that's friendly to the LGBTQ+ community.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Political Cartoons 2024: Smells like arm-pits, ketchup, a butt and make-up

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

An actual real quote from someone describing Trump's smell:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-smells-kinzinger-armpits-ketchup-b2471229.html

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Thoughtless posted:

That's like 95% of Payne's cartoons.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

idonotlikepeas posted:

They didn't specifically write a song about trans people as far as I know. They did write King for a Day, which is about a cross-dresser. (Not the same thing, but I did see an anecdote on reddit of the lead singer grabbing a trans flag out of the audience and waving it around during it.)

The band has also made several pro-trans-rights statements, said they want their concerts to feel like a safe space for marginalized people (calling trans people out as an example specifically), etc. None of this is recent, of course. Billie Joe Armstrong was talking about being bisexual in the mid-90s. They've always been a politically active left-wing band that's friendly to the LGBTQ+ community.

Their breakout hit, "Basket Case", also switched up the gender of a person in one of the verses.

Green Day posted:

I went to a whore
He said my life's a bore
So quit my whining 'cause it's bringing her down

Which you can read a lot of different things in to, so I'm not saying it's clear and supportive representation, but it's a thing that was on the radio before Ellen was out of the closet.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Edit at below so this post isn't terrible: Conservapedia is really good at the whole "conservatism is The Truth and everything else is a mental disease" angle

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 5, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

It is absolutely one of the most interesting things about conservatives. Despite everything, they must at all times maintain the delusion that they are oppressed outsiders (while simultaneously representing a majority). Part of it is that they believe their positions are not just right, but self-evidently and obviously right, and that the solution to every problem is simple if you approach it with common sense. (Where, of course, "common sense" is always defined as "the most conservative position possible"). So if the conservatives had ever been in power, obviously all problems would have been solved; since they haven't, clearly conservatives have never been in power. This is also where the myth of the Deep State came from during the Trump presidency; they had to come up with something to explain why the country wasn't just immediately fixed as soon as conservatives had control of the government.

It’s honestly that the mere existence of an alternative point of view or of anything not subject to their rules is a threat to their own existence. It’s like how they aren’t content unless their perspective is the only one possible, so anyone who disagrees must be deliberately lying, brainwashed, or insane. They have to control the whole field because any suggestion that conservatism is one point of view among many points of view undermines a core element of conservatism, which is that it is the only real thing. “Common sense” is a term meant to make imagining an alternative impossible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh man, this one aged badly.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Rituals Are Fun

Ted Rall posted:

American electoral politics was originally designed to make the franchise as powerful as possible for as many voters as possible, but now things come down to a tiny minority of voters living in just a few battleground states. Maybe the rest of us shouldn’t bother.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

:lol: at this and the "Maybe we don't need democracy because it's never done anything for me" cartoon from last week. Ted, you're not fooling anyone.

Anyway Kellies Nomination: Most Opposite of Reality

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

California, apparently, needs more deficit to operate properly. A mastery-of-symbolism cartoon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Trapezium Dave posted:

Ted Balls posted:

American electoral politics was originally designed to make the franchise as powerful as possible for as many voters as possible
Ted explain the 'as possible'.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

Michael Ramirez

Steve Kelley

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Yes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

What's even the intended messaging here, why pick this story?
"Liberals are soft on crime, and let criminals do whatever they want in a courtroom without stopping them"?
"He shouldn't have even been allowed a trial"?
"I, Michael Ramirez, really hate black people"?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

A.F. Branco

Wow. First comic "x isn't happening", second comic "x happening but bad".

Also yes I know the only border money you want is for walls and bullets Branco but you're seriously getting mad at the federal government using taxpayer money to do its loving job

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Goldwater-Reagan Conservatism:

The Islamic Shock posted:

getting mad at the federal government using taxpayer money to do its loving job

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Vib Rib posted:

"Liberals are soft on crime, and let criminals do whatever they want in a courtroom without stopping them"?
"He shouldn't have even been allowed a trial"?
"I, Michael Ramirez, really hate black people"?

mix of A Thing Happened and "society is full of Thugs probably because of Culture and Phones and stuff, we should all be scared and give cops twice as many guns or something". And your last one as well

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The use of the word 'thug' is such a tell for what he wanted to write. It would've been fine to just say "Man". That would've been even easier to read. Just "Thug" with an article threw me off.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Michael Ramirez

Kellies Nomination: Most Undisguised Racism, or YOU GOTTA GIVE ME THE FANGS

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

skeleton warrior posted:

Their breakout hit, "Basket Case", also switched up the gender of a person in one of the verses.

Which you can read a lot of different things in to, so I'm not saying it's clear and supportive representation, but it's a thing that was on the radio before Ellen was out of the closet.

Isn't it "I went to a whore, who said my life's a bore, so quit my whining cus it's bringing her down"?

Fake edit: Huh, no. I've been enlightened this day.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's funny that there are all kinds of reasonable critiques of American elections (for example: "voting only changes the color of the kiddy prison administrators' ties from red to blue or back to red again"), yet Rall goes with, basically, "democracy is fake because other people's votes count too, not just mine"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny that there are all kinds of reasonable critiques of American elections (for example: "voting only changes the color of the kiddy prison administrators' ties from red to blue or back to red again"), yet Rall goes with, basically, "democracy is fake because other people's votes count too, not just mine"

Ted Rall is like a stopped clock; he's technically correct twice a day, but not through any effort on his part.

Also this cartoon is not one of those two, before someone feels the need to try to pick that argument.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the release of the Jeffrey Epstein files – Although the release of the Epstein documents crashed the court website, the details revealed are not scandalous"

Telegraph:

"Starmer promises mission-led ‘Project Hope’ – just don’t ask what this means"

Matt:

Independent:

Starmer urges voters to reject ‘populism and cynicism’ ahead of next election

Times:

Evening Standard:

Stephen Collins:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

Aside from the already mention fact that Ramirez loves to cover stories about violent :airquote:thugs:airquote:. He works for The Las Vegas Review Journal and this took place in Vegas.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

US-style 'peace' by Yang Zhongkui

US gun violence by Cai Meng

Peace or war? by Song Chen

Cai Meng had something on their mind. I'm enjoying the new artists styles.

Charlie Hebdo

Stars robbed!
"Police, the women came through here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

100YrsofAttitude posted:

At least put "Feed me, Samuel!" somewhere on it. C'mon man!

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall

Good Scarfolk style PSA nod, :allears: points for whimsy, and an educational resource for the people who get far too involved in "It's CHRISTmas not Happy Holidays!" stuff without knowing the first thing about Twelfth Night, Epiphany, etc. who will of course never read it.

Also someone needs to do a "It's not Happy Valentines it's CANDLEmas, don't you respect Candle" one.