Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

I have owned Case of the Golden Idol since at least the summer sale, but, uhhhhh

Anyway I bought the DLCs.
It's awesome and you can blast through it in an afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not playing anything with the name of a neo-nazi attached to it lmao

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
I've got over 700 games in my steam library. I don't need to buy anything for probably until I'm 80, BUT I'm gonna wait till next winter sale to grab things again.

Until we meet again Gaben.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Mr.Acula posted:

you don't say

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I said come in! posted:

Knowingly

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

hmmm now that they've allowed people to hide games I can't check if you've had sex with hitler or not

you win this round

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone been having issues using their microphone in Valve's games lately? Specifically I'm having issues with DOTA but that uses Steam's setting so I figured I'd try asking here too :shrug:

That's the headset I use for work on Teams daily and have never had an issue. Not sure how long ago this started but it's definitely been a while. If I do the Mic Test, my voice plays through my speakers so it seems to be picking it up just fine. My suspicion is there's some dumbass New Windows setting that's mucking things up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

so, mtg arena is really good and I'm enjoying playing cards with my brother

but also it's complete garbage and I hate it and I'm never touching it again (this is a lie)

I've been trying to play MTG with a friend and it does not seem to want to connect us at all

also i got this

outside of steam in december:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Been playing Strangers of Paradise the last week and nthing the "it's really good" sentiment. The cutscenes are funny, but what I really like about the game is that the original Final Fantasy is my favorite of the series, if nothing but for nostalgic reasons, and seeing all of the callback/reference/reimagining stuff based on it is really fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been trying to play MTG with a friend and it does not seem to want to connect us at all

The devs seem to break it every other week. My brother and I have just taken to going "welp" and loading up tabletop simulator instead for card games if it's broken.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Sab669 posted:

Anyone been having issues using their microphone in Valve's games lately? Specifically I'm having issues with DOTA but that uses Steam's setting so I figured I'd try asking here too :shrug:

That's the headset I use for work on Teams daily and have never had an issue. Not sure how long ago this started but it's definitely been a while. If I do the Mic Test, my voice plays through my speakers so it seems to be picking it up just fine. My suspicion is there's some dumbass New Windows setting that's mucking things up.

I was having a bunch of weird microphone input issues not long ago, but it was while using PC Game Bar to talk to an Xbox friend. I never tested to see if the issue was on Steam too, but I’m betting it was. Same deal where I could see the mic input when running tests, but nothing would come through apps. I finally figured out I could fix it by going into Windows sound/microphone settings and toggling Sound Enhancements off and back on. That fixed it every time it happened to me.

This could be something completely unrelated to whatever you’re dealing with, but the problem sounds similar enough to be worth a try. Good luck.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The devs seem to break it every other week. My brother and I have just taken to going "welp" and loading up tabletop simulator instead for card games if it's broken.

Speaking of Tabletop Simulator.... I bought the multi-pack ages ago and still have a couple copies I could give away. PM me with Steam ID if interested.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Post-sale old keys giveaway special edition

Hack?et: DYXLJ-RDJ35-Z54?X

They ?leed Pixels: CDM?E-RXXKI-D8RWV

Chroma Squa?: 63CE0-YIQ?T-BCM4T

?unestone Keepe?: ?9WM2-J43M6-8M9TJ

K?ntucky Rout? Z?ro: ?IKC7-8RHXD-D02CH

Huma? Resource Machi?e: DCM?D-66M7C-5RC8M

Card City ?ights: I2G9E-?5EV9-7B2HM

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hogama posted:

Card City ?ights: I2G9E-?5EV9-7B2HM
I took this one, thanks!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thank you for KRZ

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thanks for HRM

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

also i got this

outside of steam in december:

Yesss... one of us, one of us!

...not just posting to procrastinate having to play an AoEII scenario involving the great and renowned Bulgarian navy.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Hogama posted:

Chroma Squad

Thank you!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Couldn't get Chroma Squat or Kontucky Routo Zoro to work

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I bought Midnight Suns. Originally turned off by the system but I’ve been playing it for most of this week. However there are some serious stuttering issues from the port.

Also the Cuphead DLC and Talespire because idk I had the old Russian Romhack RPGMaker2000 back in the day.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Black Noise posted:

I bought Midnight Suns. Originally turned off by the system but I’ve been playing it for most of this week. However there are some serious stuttering issues from the port.

Also the Cuphead DLC and Talespire because idk I had the old Russian Romhack RPGMaker2000 back in the day.

Make sure you disable the 2k launcher. Another goon posted about this link earlier

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Black Noise posted:

I bought Midnight Suns. Originally turned off by the system but I’ve been playing it for most of this week.

It’s kind of a fascinating system. When I started playing it on release and it was explaining how combat worked I was like “What the gently caress even is this? You’re telling me the XCom guys made this lightweight shitshow?”. Then you get a little more freedom and it’s kind of neat, and as you unlock more characters and moves the depth really comes out as you start figuring out how to manage positioning as much as you’re managing powers, and you start finding combinations that can be incredibly powerful. The enemies get more powerful in a fun asymmetrical way too, where they get their own stack of powerful bullshit that you can’t do. It really ramps perfectly so that your strategies evolve as the game goes on. My brother and I each put in like 50 hours in a week or two last December because it rapidly becomes super absorbing. I was doing random missions not to grind but because the actual systems were just so much fun to engage with.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Then you gotta make blade go on a playdate with jubilee.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah the combat is really fun in Midnight Suns, which caught me off-guard because I was sure I was going to hate it based on the fact that it's a deckbuilder tactics-lite kind of game.

I hate pretty much everything else about it and eventually gave up because the balance of gameplay to dating sim, even if you spam click through dialog and skip all the cutscenes, is still like 50:50 (and more like 10:90 if you actually read dialog and watch cutscenes). But I'd play another game that had the same combat mechanics and less of the non-combat stuff for sure.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

RandomBlue posted:

Then you gotta make blade go on a playdate with jubilee.

Yeah that's the best part

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Midnight Suns starts off as "This is some ol bullshit I'm trying to punch!" don't even know the meta but these two videos are where I am gameplay wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBIsZlV1jHk

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The in-game credit packs were a big turn off and everything in the game had so many currencies and unlocks. :v They really could have shaved those off for a less gross experience.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I see a lot of the choices they made in Oblivion as being attempts to fix problems with Morrowind and getting the execution hideously wrong. Like it's not just "level scaling = bad" it's a whole series of compounding balance issues and questionable attempts to streamline Morrowind's crunch into something more modern-feeling.

Like even independently of the level scaling itself, they clamped down on and made all sorts of tweaks to the player's stats in a way that I'm fairly certain would feel bad even without bloated HP enemies putting additional pressure on the system. Fatigue being the primary example where they tried to make it more like a modern stamina meter instead of how MW did it, but it only begins to feel decent at max stats. And they still tied it to damage output in a way where literally any missing fatigue is already hurting your damage output, making the enemy sponginess even worse. Given how regularly I've seen people playing Oblivion mindlessly slashing their fatigue away I'm pretty sure a lot of folks never even realized that.

Though I guess I'm in the minority in thinking level scaling isn't the enemy, at least not innately. I wished Elden Ring had some kind of scaling so that going back to old content you missed didn't result in a blowout. And like a lot of stuff, I didn't find Morrowind's static enemy leveling to be the secret sauce that held up the entire experience; it's most relevant in the early game and then quickly stops mattering. Even within Oblivion's approach there's obvious issues you can pluck out, like how the level scaling is not actually granular but based on wide bands, so you end up with a lovely sawtooth problem where entering a new level tier will have you get ground into the dirt all of sudden before it finally evens out in time for the next tier to kick in and start the whole process over again.

Ultimately I think it's telling that Oblivion shipped with the world's most granular difficulty slider so you could manually nudge the numbers around to your liking.

Morrowind's scaling holds up because the scaling for specific enemies has lower and upper bounds. Oblivion's scaling works the same way, but they relaxed the limits to an excessive degree which combined with the obtuse levelling system made for a pretty broken game if the player didn't intuit how to level up or chance upon the correct choices.

So yeah, it's totally possible to implement scaling enemies in a way that works OK

(As a Morrowind fan, I'll say that the combat and levelling is broken in a number of other ways though)

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 5, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The enemy levelling in the Gothic games is perfect.

There isn't any.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fruits of the sea posted:

(As a Morrowind fan, I'll say that the combat and levelling is broken in a number of other ways though)

The funny thing is, having been thoroughly warned about the combat in MW, I ended up having basically zero issues with it. I had loads of other problems, but the excessively numbers-driven nature of it wasn't one.

I will say that I don't think I'm much of a fan of that entire leveling system. It's awkward and bad in both MW and Oblivion, it's just that MW is less punishing when it comes to optimization. And of course, like everything else, Oblivion making loads of weird little tweaks that on average make things worse. Like how dumping money into skill training was basically the expected, nay mandatory way to fill out many skills in MW only for Oblivion to lock that poo poo down without examining the root causes. Paying for stats IS boring, but making it harder to do and more limited doesn't address the actual faults in the leveling system. It's also one of the few pieces of cruft that carried all the way into Skyrim.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 5, 2024

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I picked up a bunch of puzzle games, plus South Park: The Fractured But Whole and Choo-Choo Charles. Over $200 apparently, but with the sale it came out to just over 17 bucks. Now that, my friends, is smart shopping.

Chadzok posted:

Can you tell that I just got a Steam Deck?

I think I've got one final round of games to buy tonight, I really want Rain World so I may as well spend another 100 bucks

If I had a time machine, the one and only thing I would use it for would be to go back a few years just so I can play The Room series for the first time again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Enemy scaling should be by location only, let me wander in and get annihilated by monsters 100 levels above me dammit

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Antigravitas posted:

The enemy levelling in the Gothic games is perfect.

There isn't any.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the concept is fine enough to scale encounters so you don't get bored stomping through easy areas and there's not much fun about getting annihilated by much higher-level enemies either. I never felt like I had to plan around it as that's the whole point. I can just do my thing and the game keeps throwing challenges at me :shrug: Like better scaling in DOS2 would make the 2nd act less annoying because sometimes you wander just enough into the wrong area and suddenly everything is too hard.

The whole idea of it being interesting to have areas inaccessible because they are higher level is only of note if there is some fiction/context sense. Staying out of the way of dragons or big stompy dinosaurs when you are new can be fun, but not just higher level bandits or similar monsters to what you face elsewhere only this area contains their elite variant/etc. If a game is highly dependent on levels (unlike a Souls like or some such) then having jagged differences of level between areas makes me think of an MMO rather than being natural.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gothic 2 is a decent example because the "higher level" areas are totally accessible and it's encouraged to dip in there to grab some cool stuff and run the hell away. Plus the enemies are actually different, as opposed to reskins/elites etc.

Oddly similar to a soulslike, although again, janky.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 5, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

Like better scaling in DOS2 would make the 2nd act less annoying because sometimes you wander just enough into the wrong area and suddenly everything is too hard.

I am going to be level that what made me fall in love with the D:OS games was exactly going into higher level areas and using all the bullshit in the game to get through them with my underlevelled rear end.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Antigravitas posted:

The enemy levelling in Dragon’s Dogma is perfect.

There isn't any.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

starting new vegas and run screaming straight north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
wandering into a high level area and getting slaughtered is a Feature, not an Issue, in my Gamer Hermeneutics