Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kafouille posted:

Yes but what is the purpose of making it underground, digging out large quantities of ice is not trivial when you have to carry every bit of equipment to a foreign planet. Rad shielding would be way easier to do by simply digging a lot less ice and putting it up the walls of your construction on the surface, be it inside the insulation layer as double duty water/electrolysis feedstock or just bulk ice on the outside

For a 20 story building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The larger the building the more you save on digging by going that way by virtue of the square/cube law.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We'll be mining the ice for water regardless.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"mining" implies some ongoing operation, rather than just what you excavated during initial construction

and you probably want to build far enough away from the mine that you don't need to worry about your digging works causing ground instability

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I feel like rather than digging you should just use a nuclear powered melter machine. Like a TBM but with radiators on the front instead of drills. Suck up the water and pump it through an insulated pipe up to the surface and dispense it as snow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kafouille posted:

The larger the building the more you save on digging by going that way by virtue of the square/cube law.

Yeah but my nuclear excavations also become more expeditious.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The basic water needs of a human is something like the volume of a small car per YEAR, completely open loop, and that includes oxygen. You're not drinking your living space unless you take a decade to excavate it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
just get those mig engine snow melters the russians have

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Not remotely similar. First, they are not on ice, they are on snow on land.

That's the big difference right there, but also, even their coldest temps - 70F - are nothing compared to the surface of those moons. -300C or so

Considering you're here asking very silly questions (-300 C is not "a bit cold", the scale stops at -273.15) you're being an rear end in a top hat about it. The south pole is 2700 m of ice, it's not "on land".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well there is land at the south pole, but there is ice on that land and the base is built on the ice.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

What I was going for was, why are you asking the question? Are you just curious if it's possible? Is this for a story? Or is this a serious engineering challenge that you actually want to do? I was gonna say that it'd affect the level of effort we put in, but apparently you got the thread interested so :shrug:

On the off-chance this is a serious engineering problem that you actually have been told to solve, then please tell Musk he needs to start paying Jeffery for engineering services.

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like rather than digging you should just use a nuclear powered melter machine. Like a TBM but with radiators on the front instead of drills. Suck up the water and pump it through an insulated pipe up to the surface and dispense it as snow.

Melting it is a bad idea unless you really need liquid water, since most of the energy goes into the phase change. According to this paper, it takes roughly 13 kJ to cut out a kilogram of ice (and you'd get even better by coring it cylinders rather than converting the whole volume to chips). Melting a kilogram takes 334 kJ. So unless you need liquid water or managing the waste material is too difficult (chip evacuation is a thing!), it's better to cut it: it sounds like they need a lot of ice (presumably for reaction mass? I don't know enough about orbital mechanics to know if refueling at Europa makes a lick of sense.)

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sagebrush posted:

I was curious so I did some math, by the power figures given for LA-class nuke sub it would take about 2 weeks for it to melt it's own displacement worth of -150c ice using the full thermal power of it's reactor. Of course that doesn't count thermal conduction to the ice you're not currently trying to melt, so it would be quite a bit slower still.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Kafouille posted:

I was curious so I did some math, by the power figures given for LA-class nuke sub it would take about 2 weeks for it to melt it's own displacement worth of -150c ice using the full thermal power of it's reactor. Of course that doesn't count thermal conduction to the ice you're not currently trying to melt, so it would be quite a bit slower still.

That is a serious loving nuclear reactor, jesus. Looks like an S6G weighs about 150 tons for the entire package, for 156 MW thermal. That's a thousand times more thermal output than any reactor put into space. I guess if you were going to put that into space you'd just position it far away from everyone and drop a lot of the shielding? And really, really hope you don't crash.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
holy gently caress https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwhnArkZTu8

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/Thinkwert/status/1743011990568567157?t=NfF83XDq06Sk7kbHP9E-4Q&s=19

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

You mean your car doesnt have a jump button?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Karia posted:

That is a serious loving nuclear reactor, jesus. Looks like an S6G weighs about 150 tons for the entire package, for 156 MW thermal. That's a thousand times more thermal output than any reactor put into space. I guess if you were going to put that into space you'd just position it far away from everyone and drop a lot of the shielding? And really, really hope you don't crash.

The sub has the advantage of being surrounded by a free, convenient heatsink after all, shedding the waste heat in space would be quite an endeavor.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Well obviously you'd chain drill by melting, and cut out ice blocks.

I'll leave the details of cutting the bottoms free as an exercise, unless you're going full slot? And then build an igloo over your space squirrel base with them, to keep the Vorlons out. Fastest MRR available, unless someone makes a porta-band with a big enough throat for the planetoid in question?

Sorry I'm late here, was busy trying to place an order and wait 7-14 days for some 4" wide 3/16" steel strips to arrive! Now to get the forklift and move the 3 skids of 4'x8' sheets of 3/16" steel stacked 2' tall out of the way... I'm sure I got a better deal per-pound here from the OEM and fedex, instead of the steel house that just dropped these off

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Build on Rhea, because it’s one of the more stable ice moons.

And you would become known as the "goon o' Rhea".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lmao at using a film production clip as news

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"All weather" football pitches. :)

https://twitter.com/Copa90/status/1743225657851593179

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

If there's splash on the field, play ball.

protodependency
Jun 10, 2022
Slats on a plasma table don't need to be replaced on Friday. The extra build up on the slats allows more slag to fill the table. CUT CUT CUT

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of ablative PPE,

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Brings new meaning to "lightly-injured footballer takes a dive"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

“There’s a larger pool of footy players this year “

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Looks like a pretty standard diving school.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Welp, time to switch to water polo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
more like assoakiation football

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Underwater polo is a thing now, I guess.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karia posted:

What I was going for was, why are you asking the question? Are you just curious if it's possible? Is this for a story? Or is this a serious engineering challenge that you actually want to do?

To boldly build like no man has built before.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Latest goon project: colonize an ice moon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-wants-faa-to-exempt-max-7-from-safety-rules-to-get-it-in-the-air/

Boeing wants to leverage all it's stellar safety history to be allowed to skip the safety checks on the max 7

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azhais posted:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-wants-faa-to-exempt-max-7-from-safety-rules-to-get-it-in-the-air/

Boeing wants to leverage all it's stellar safety history to be allowed to skip the safety checks on the max 7

Remind me whose month‐old plane it was that just violently decompressed on a flight from Portland to Southern California.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

Remind me whose month‐old plane it was that just violently decompressed on a flight from Portland to Southern California.

Or that just needed to ask all its clients to check on some loose rudder bolts

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
wasnt there also some boeing plane that had some warning system that should have been standard as an optional extra?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Non Compos Mentis posted:

wasnt there also some boeing plane that had some warning system that should have been standard as an optional extra?

Probably, but nothing is gonna top designing a plane that crashes itself and getting the FAA to approve not training pilots on how to tell the plane to knock it off. Only took 346 lives to figure that one out!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

https://x.com/rawsalerts/status/1743476391553683904?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

it's the same plane. new problem