Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel fairly confident predicting that "wearing a screen on your face" will not become the standard way of interacting with a computer

Johnny Mnemonic disagrees with you :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, new LTT video featuring Emily, which is extremely :blessed:

However, the video refers to Emily as Anthony. Did something change with their situation? Honest mistake? Something else?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel fairly confident predicting that "wearing a screen on your face" will not become the standard way of interacting with a computer

google glass will take off any day now!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the idea of augmented reality but anything more intrusive than a somewhat chonky pair of hornrimmed glasses seems like a non starter.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

However, the video refers to Emily as Anthony. Did something change with their situation? Honest mistake? Something else?

What video is this? The main LTT channel isn't showing an upload for today for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTIpNtHWVtQ

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

? that video is a year and a half old

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Uploaded on August 27, 2022. Today is January 4, 2024. This is the worst latency I've ever seen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a confession to make, I'm illiterate, I know it seems weird for someone to tell you that via text, but its true

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Just a simple typo, relax

It's actually RS-232

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I want Emily to have her own channel where she talks about retro gaming and Linux.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. I got so excited for an Emily video I didnt even bother to look at the date lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Beve there's gonna be something called ChatGPT that you're gonna want to watch out for.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

priznat posted:

I like the idea of augmented reality but anything more intrusive than a somewhat chonky pair of hornrimmed glasses seems like a non starter.

This is what is keeping me from VR, tbh. That and all the space needed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a vr set I never use because it requires a lot of activity by video gaming standards and I am very very lazy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's also no games

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Halflife:Alyx and then a bunch of garbage really

Oh and a sword fighting game that lets you know what it is like to be a brutal murderer and it is disturbing as hell

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gradenko_2000 posted:

Beve there's gonna be something called ChatGPT that you're gonna want to watch out for.

Get in on the ground floor of these things called “bored apes”

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Halflife:Alyx and then a bunch of garbage really

suppose it is good for people who play a lot of cockpit simulators, or live in vrchat

not much else going on though

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

repiv posted:

suppose it is good for people who play a lot of cockpit simulators, or live in vrchat

not much else going on though

It's really cool for flying and I presume other seated sim stuff. I enjoyed both War Thunder and Elite Dangerous in VR. Rhythm games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are also really fun. But at the end of the day VR hasn't really solved the user interface problem. Hand tracking for fine manipulation is still dodgy, which means for flight you need to know your physical switches and such by touch if the game doesn't use the dodgy hand tracking.

That's my experience with it, anyway. My Quest 2 is collecting dust right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the folks behind Project Wingman did a VR version of their game (for the Playstation VR?) and that's the only one that's ever really raise my eyebrows in interest from how good the base game was

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I got really into PSVR when it came out. There were several games I really liked, Dirt Rally, RE 7, Wipeout, Polybius, and Everybody's Golf were all great. But there was a lot of crap on the store too, and having to drag out all the equipment got old. I don't think I've touched it in two years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My friend plays DCS (UH-1) with a full HOTAS VR setup and it sounds pretty awesome tbh.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ComfyPants posted:

I got really into PSVR when it came out. There were several games I really liked, Dirt Rally, RE 7, Wipeout, Polybius, and Everybody's Golf were all great.

the cool thing is that most of those games are PSVR1 exclusive, as in sony got them as exclusives but then didn't make PSVR2 backwards compatible with PSVR1 games and also didn't sponsor the games to be updated for PSVR2 so they are just orphaned on a dead platform

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

repiv posted:

there's also no games

There are now

https://github.com/praydog/UEVR

https://www.uploadvr.com/praydogs-uevr-mod/

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

repiv posted:

there's also no games

VR headsets are never going away completely because the hobbyist (sim racing, flight sims etc) crowd absolutely loves them, and they're perfectly suited to those types of games because you're sat in one place

They may vanish from the mainstream for a while, until the next big breakthrough (haptics, or full body tracking, or whatever) and then they'll explode in popularity again.

Would love it if they made them smaller and lighter in the meatime though, was hoping something could be done with those fans that work via vibrations

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HunterTV had a great video where he tried all these dumb peripherals for playing Call of Duty and one was a haptic vest which he said was utterly useless, and then he blew it up. Probably one of the most fun game streamers I know of, dude cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9eQldPILQ

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

repiv posted:

the cool thing is that most of those games are PSVR1 exclusive, as in sony got them as exclusives but then didn't make PSVR2 backwards compatible with PSVR1 games and also didn't sponsor the games to be updated for PSVR2 so they are just orphaned on a dead platform

I was thinking about getting a PSVR2 around when they launched. I've got a PS5, and if the headset was about what the PSVR1 cost (about $300 iirc) it seemed like a pretty compelling way to dip my toes into that.

But then the backwards compatibility idiocy made me nope right now, mostly because the one game that I REALLY wanted to give a shot in VR was Star Wars Squadrons.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

the clown getting ready meme but it's a gamer putting on a bunch of VR poo poo

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Google earth VR is the only thing I regularly boot up anymore. Still owns though.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
The high difficulties on Beat Saber, Synth Riders and Pistol Whip are pure endorphin high, brain reprogramming poo poo. They made a mistake making the best 3 games right out the gate. You can't not play at least a few levels of one of these if you "suit up" for VR. You'll be a quivering sweaty mess after an hour unable to play anything else though.

Alternatively Walkabout Golf is easily the best casual multiplayer game and I've had a game between Ireland, Canada and New Zealand and it was seamless. Just being in a virtual 3d world shooting the poo poo playing golf across continents seamlessly is literally sci-fi poo poo that exists but the headset is a bit heavy and gets a little sweaty so meh.

Basically the hardware is just still too heavy, isolating, sweaty and has barriers to entry with regards to cost, space needed and various accessibility concerns (just being a glasses wearer means another 100 bucks to see properly in the thing, some people will get motion sick, etc).

I think it can be refined to reduce those things to acceptable levels of annoyance but it's always going to be subjective if it's worth the effort. Probably a statement applicable to computing as a whole.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Warmachine posted:

It's really cool for flying and I presume other seated sim stuff. I enjoyed both War Thunder and Elite Dangerous in VR. Rhythm games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip are also really fun. But at the end of the day VR hasn't really solved the user interface problem. Hand tracking for fine manipulation is still dodgy, which means for flight you need to know your physical switches and such by touch if the game doesn't use the dodgy hand tracking.

That's my experience with it, anyway. My Quest 2 is collecting dust right now.

You should give VTOL VR a try, it's excellent.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Good god, I'm going to need a LOT more storage than I currently have.
Luckily we have a thread for that.

repiv posted:

pressed discs do last longer, but earlier generations of media are still prone to rotting

CDs only had a very thin protective layer over the aluminium data layer which easily corrodes if exposed to the air, DVDs are better because they made the protective layer thicker, and blurays are better still because they use some more inert alloy instead of aluminium
Optical media in particular is subject to UV-A, which standard window pane glass doesn't block.

It's supposedly bad enough that the advice, at this point, is to never expose optical media to sunlight?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you have a disc that's worth a drat to you, you should really be keeping it in a case or CD wallet at this point.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

If you have a disc that's worth a drat to you, you should really be keeping it in a case or CD wallet at this point.

Yeah my too-large collection of lovely anime are all in their original cases, stored on shelves, away from any windows. They'll probably be fine for a long time unless they were just manufactured poorly. I should probably still digitize them for the sake of back ups and having them available through plex or something.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Best thread in the sub-forum, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah my too-large collection of lovely anime are all in their original cases, stored on shelves, away from any windows. They'll probably be fine for a long time unless they were just manufactured poorly. I should probably still digitize them for the sake of back ups and having them available through plex or something.

Anime doesn't take up as much space as live-action recordings so your storage needs won't be quite as steep if that is primarily what you are backing up. They compress much better.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

crazy how early nintendo/playstation cases would just crumble into dust if you as much as looked at them

are cd pockets/wallets great for long-term storage and preservation? it's what most of us had to use at the end, but mostly out of necessity. and then there's all the cartridges

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

kliras posted:

crazy how early nintendo/playstation cases would just crumble into dust if you as much as looked at them

are cd pockets/wallets great for long-term storage and preservation? it's what most of us had to use at the end, but mostly out of necessity. and then there's all the cartridges

Not the European ones though which are thicc as gently caress.

I've had a bunch of my PS2 games in the same CD wallet since the mid-2000s and all of them are absolutely fine. I'd rather have their actual cases. Cartridges the general advice I see is to put them in a bag and seal it up when they're not in use and that's worked nicely for my handful of N64 carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

the folks behind Project Wingman did a VR version of their game (for the Playstation VR?) and that's the only one that's ever really raise my eyebrows in interest from how good the base game was

I believe the original version of the game for PC is fully VR, which reminds me, I've got to give it a try!

I just got a VR headset and so far I've played Half Life Alyx, Super Hot, Into the Radius (VR STALKER basically), and of course Beat Saber. I'm too scared to try any of the social stuff but VRChat is reasonably popular. VR racing is good too, but I'm not too into that. Asgard's Wrath 2 is supposed to be good so I'll have to give that a shot since it came with the headset.

I'd say it's managed to build up the library of an only slightly disappointing console. Like maybe just higher than the N64. Given it's taken about a decade to build up to that and hasn't gained any popularity or momentum it doesn't bode well, but there's enough there to enjoy without it feeling like a waste.