Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nuurd posted:

I think I’ve only seen that correctly happen when renting a right hand drive vehicle. I assume it’s part of the interface.

Oh that makes a lot of sense. Strange that it bugged out, but at least this puts my mind at ease as to why the heck they'd flip everything so thoroughly. Sometimes I forget the rest of the world exists :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

some kinda jackal posted:

I got in my car today and for some reason my CarPlay was flipped backwards. I mean not like the screen contents were mirrored, but the navbar was on the right, all the elements which are traditionally on the right were on the left, etc.

I pulled into a parking lot and pulled up my phone to see if this was some iOS update change but I didn't see anything in CarPlay settings about display ... direction? Was fairly annoyed for the remainder of my drive and promptly forgot about it.

Then got in my car to ride home an hour later and it was back to normal.

Anyone else have this experience? :raise:

I've seen this happen twice in my new 24 Forester when it seems to crash/bug out loading. The buttons won't even work. I can't remember if removing the cord or turning the car off resets it though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I suspect it probably would, then. I have a third party wireless airplay dongle from ottocast which has been flawless in execution, and I suspect that if I yanked it and restarted it would probably have righted itself.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
An anyone recommend any non-leather iPhone 15 pro cases that aren’t as sticky as the Apple silicone cases? I’m looking at the Otter ox symmetry, but it’s hard to tell if it’s going to be just as sticky as the Apple cases. Spigen is another popular brand, right?

This case looks good, but only has a cutout for the action button: https://journeyofficial.com/products/iphone-15-leather-case

Edit: this one says it’s vegan leather and looks nice! https://www.moft.us/products/iphone-leather-case-magsafe-compatible

frogbs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 5, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Spigen makes pretty good cases, and they have the classic iMac design available for the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max. Other than that basically all of their other cases are pretty high quality and I've never been disappointed in them.
https://a.co/d/fKx7EXY

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I picked up a Torras Megamag for my pro max and it’s super slim, not sticky at all, and MagSafe

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For plastic cases look at otterbox, spigen, smartish, speck, torras. I've never had a case I'd describe as "sticky." Otterbox is the thickest, torras is the thinnest and the others are somewhere in the middle

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Spigen makes pretty good cases, and they have the classic iMac design available for the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max. Other than that basically all of their other cases are pretty high quality and I've never been disappointed in them.
https://a.co/d/fKx7EXY
I have this case and it’s p cool. I don’t use it all the time though bc I still like the size and weight of going naked.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Since there's case talk happening: is there a case people can recommend if I wanted to take my phone snorkeling--OtterBox? Something better/cheaper? Or should I just forget it and buy a GoPro?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

For plastic cases look at otterbox, spigen, smartish, speck, torras. I've never had a case I'd describe as "sticky." Otterbox is the thickest, torras is the thinnest and the others are somewhere in the middle

I think I know what OP is talking about. The official iphone silicone cases tend to pick up and hold onto skin oils or something and they just get this nasty feel to them. This seems to be worse on the older cases than the more recent ones since like the 12 series came out, but it still happens.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

maduin posted:

Since there's case talk happening: is there a case people can recommend if I wanted to take my phone snorkeling--OtterBox? Something better/cheaper? Or should I just forget it and buy a GoPro?

Is your phone water proof? Probably.

Would I risk it by intentionally going underwater with it? Probably not.

Get a GoPro if you want to record underwater action.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
e; not 15 pro

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

I think I know what OP is talking about. The official iphone silicone cases tend to pick up and hold onto skin oils or something and they just get this nasty feel to them. This seems to be worse on the older cases than the more recent ones since like the 12 series came out, but it still happens.

My 13 mini case which was an apple official silicone case got weird and sticky very quickly

But my new 15 pro official silicone case feels noticeably nicer to the touch

But I feel like I'll only really know once summer happens and life gets all hot n sweaty

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Thanks for all the recommendations all! Will look at some of those brands.

It also looks like the updated Peak Design cases are in stock, now they have a button for the action button: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-case?variant=40285585473613

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there anyway to disable icloud backup for certain photos/images.. or maybe a specific folder or is it all or nothing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, it’s all or nothing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

frogbs posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations all! Will look at some of those brands.

It also looks like the updated Peak Design cases are in stock, now they have a button for the action button: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-case?variant=40285585473613

I have been using Peak Design cases since I had my 13 and really like them a lot. I opted for them to send me a new button instead of them replacing my 15 Pro case and it works just fine. It feels good in the hand, has a raised rim area that protects the glass, and the magnet really sticks better than the phone's built in magsafe. I originally purchased so I could get a car mounted PD magsafe then my car got totaled so I just use my new car's built in charging cubby and carplay. The only other item I got for the case is the Magsafe charging stand they make. My only quasi-regret is that I kind of wish I bought the case in Yellow.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

is there anyway to disable icloud backup for certain photos/images.. or maybe a specific folder or is it all or nothing?

Nope, but I use the hide function

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That reminds me, the action button kinda seems like a dud. I thought I would like it and the idea of it is definitely awesome, but it turns out there's not really anything I need hot and ready on a dedicated button.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

frogbs posted:

An anyone recommend any non-leather iPhone 15 pro cases that aren’t as sticky as the Apple silicone cases? I’m looking at the Otter ox symmetry, but it’s hard to tell if it’s going to be just as sticky as the Apple cases. Spigen is another popular brand, right?

This case looks good, but only has a cutout for the action button: https://journeyofficial.com/products/iphone-15-leather-case

Edit: this one says it’s vegan leather and looks nice! https://www.moft.us/products/iphone-leather-case-magsafe-compatible
caudabe sheathe works well and is super grippy. they had some major fulfillment issues when the 15 launched but they’re usually really solid with customer service.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

That reminds me, the action button kinda seems like a dud. I thought I would like it and the idea of it is definitely awesome, but it turns out there's not really anything I need hot and ready on a dedicated button.

I'd like it a lot more if it was better positioned for use as a camera shutter button. The Sony android phones have dedicated two-stage camera shutter buttons and it owns. Keeping the button exactly where the mute switch was I think was a bad choice, but I don't know if they'll relocate it on any subsequent devices since Apple can be oddly stubborn about what they believe "the correct way" to use something is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i lolled that MKBHD did his 3 month review and he talked about how he used the action button for a bunch of different things then ended right back where he started — as a camera start-up button.

i think they’ll keep the action button for a few generations because apple doesn’t walk back on design decisions instantly. but they’ll eventually phase it out. the customizability just isn’t worth anything for 99.99% of users.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they add short press and double press options or something it would be a lot more useful.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Vegetable posted:

i lolled that MKBHD did his 3 month review and he talked about how he used the action button for a bunch of different things then ended right back where he started — as a camera start-up button.

i think they’ll keep the action button for a few generations because apple doesn’t walk back on design decisions instantly. but they’ll eventually phase it out. the customizability just isn’t worth anything for 99.99% of users.

They'll leave it just long enough for a very vocal subset of users to find specific niche ways to use it that helps them tremendously, and that's when they'll take it away. Though likely the switch won't come back, it'll just be another button/feature that's removed and pushed into software only.

Aphrodite posted:

If they add short press and double press options or something it would be a lot more useful.

I do like that if I short press it, all it does is tell me to hold it to do whatever function I have assigned. Ultimately I just switched it back to being a mute switch.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I went on a family holiday for 2 weeks so I re-assigned it to open the Camera but never remembered to use it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Branch Nvidian posted:

I do like that if I short press it, all it does is tell me to hold it to do whatever function I have assigned. Ultimately I just switched it back to being a mute switch.

I wish they gave us the option to open the camera on a short press. Having to hold it down sucks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

maduin posted:

So, there's waterproof cases out there that are basically just plastic pouches you can drop your phone in that have a camera window on the back and in my experience they work very well! Except that (much like the plain glass), as soon as they're wet, the screen is unresponsive at best, or phantom presses at worst. I think they're more intended just so you can have your phone with you in the water but not necessarily use it. If you can manage to wipe if off, you can put the camera window under the water and take a pic, maybe, but it'll be tough. I'd go with the GoPro if underwater pics are your intent.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's good for making me wonder why the gently caress I can't take a screenshot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

I use mine to mute, unmute the phone

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

Its benefit is vastly outweighed by how often I hit it instead of volume up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. It should be a digital crown. Same thing as on the Apple Watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah it’s pretty fuckin worthless tbh

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Vegetable posted:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. It should be a digital crown. Same thing as on the Apple Watch.

That would rule. It reminds me of the late 90's/early 2000's PDA's Sony made, a bunch of them had 'jog dials': https://www.petervis.com/modern-gadgets/sony-clie/peg-t625c-jog-dial.html

They were putting knobs like that in everything back then, even caller ID boxes: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-TLID10-Caller-ID-Display/dp/B00001ZWPF/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Action button sucks, it works fine, but I use it just for mute switch, so the actual switch was obviously way better for that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Nthing the need for a few different types of press. Long, short, 1-3 clicks at least.

It would be ideal as a sensor that could respond to shortcut prompts, like two presses for x, three presses for y.

I use it for the camera since this phone is too drat big to access control centre all the time.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I set it to launch a shortcut that I got from one of those Stephen Robles videos on YouTube. Lets me mute/switch rotation lock/open camera/launch a couple apps from one button and if the phone is locked. It works well but I forget to use it a third of the time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It sounds like the ACTION BUTTON is just the double/triple tap gesture in physical button form. I’ve set my double/triple taps to open a camera and run a shortcut but like I just never use it because I forget and it’s just as easy to look for the camera icon cause humans are pretty good with pattern recognition.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Action button sucks, it works fine, but I use it just for mute switch, so the actual switch was obviously way better for that.

It was such a good switch. Felt so good. Nothing has a good clunky switch anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I set it to launch a shortcut that I got from one of those Stephen Robles videos on YouTube. Lets me mute/switch rotation lock/open camera/launch a couple apps from one button and if the phone is locked. It works well but I forget to use it a third of the time.

I swipe down and can do the same thing much faster imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

They’re supposedly making the Action button capacitive and across the lineup for the iPhone 16 later this year, maybe that will make it a little more customizable and useful?

They’re also supposedly adding a “Capture” button to the 16 Pro on the right bottom side, which will be used for taking pictures or video. I think that’ll be pretty useful - it will be placed in the most user friendly spot when taking photos.

The last rumor is the screen sizes are going from 6.1” to 6.3” and 6.7” to 6.9” for the Max. I’m still mulling over whether or not I want to upgrade to a Max later this year, but if the smaller Pro has the improved telephoto lense the Max only got this year, I may just stick with a non-Max. I’ve messed around with a friends 15 Pro Max and it didn’t feel that much bigger in my hand, but I also had an XS Max at one point and hated how often that thing fell out of my pockets.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 6, 2024