Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Cessna posted:

Has anyone bought/built/painted any of the Black Powder "Epic Battles" stuff?

I'm very tempted to buy some tiny US Civil War dudes. I know they're very small scale so I might not be able to paint Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's mustache quite right, but still.

I have a lot of the Civil War ones, and I have painted a lot of them.

As someone with deep knowledge of the US Civil War, including uniforms, unit histories, etc. I love them. They rank up really well and look great on the tabletop. They are easy to put together and paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
How easily do they split? I don't like the super long ranks they come in by default.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

alg posted:

As someone with deep knowledge of the US Civil War, including uniforms, unit histories, etc. I love them. They rank up really well and look great on the tabletop. They are easy to put together and paint.

gently caress.

It would have been a lot easier if you'd told me "no, they're bad."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Springfield Fatts posted:

How easily do they split? I don't like the super long ranks they come in by default.

They work OK. With paint and their small size it's very hard to see where you split them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

These are mine in action

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

alg posted:

These are mine in action

Welp, ordered the big Gettysburg box.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

I'm quite pleased with how this 10mm star fort is looking - I got it as a 3D model from Project Diratia on MyMiniFactory and it was split in a really silly way, but other than a wonky corner it's printed out quite well I think and certainly is as imposing as I hoped it to be. Now to figure out some siege rules...

Hey, we're working on similar projects! I bought the same fort during the winter MMF sale. Did you end up making any modifications to the file to fix the weird splits?

I'm going to be trying to wargame the siege of Malta, so let me know what rules you end up using.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering, is anyone aware of any good Bolt Action scenarios? Doesn't matter if they're official or unofficial - just preferably non-themed like the core book's scenarios, if that's an option. (Since I use an Italian Alpini force, while my friend uses the Romanian army. So yeah, not really any suitable campaign books for us :v: )

There are a bunch of free scenarios up on Warlord's website under the articles section. The Case Blue book has scenarios for Romanians and Alpini, but not against each other (obviously).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

edit: doublepost

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

alg posted:

These are mine in action

Y'all are killing me here. I'm trying to save for a house.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Virtual Russian posted:

Y'all are killing me here. I'm trying to save for a house.

10mm? 15mm? 28mm?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

There are a bunch of free scenarios up on Warlord's website under the articles section. The Case Blue book has scenarios for Romanians and Alpini, but not against each other (obviously).

Oh thanks! I'll take a look at their site now - I wasn't aware they had a bunch of freebies

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

Hey, we're working on similar projects! I bought the same fort during the winter MMF sale. Did you end up making any modifications to the file to fix the weird splits?

I'm going to be trying to wargame the siege of Malta, so let me know what rules you end up using.

I’m just going to mount a half of the fort onto a single base. I did think about putting each section on its own so it could be somewhat modular but because of the angles it’s only ever going to be pentagonal or half a pentagon!

I don’t think I have any rules at all, which factor in wargaming a siege, instead of abstract through dice rolls and card drawers in a campaign context…

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

its not strictly historical, but i plan at some point to do a broad foray into late medieval/very early italian wars. circa 1450-1550. youve got wotr presence, but also continental knights, the emergence of the pike w the swiss, the ordonnance, the italian levies + mercenaries, mounted crossbowmen + stradiots, etc., plus the growth of hand guns from boom sticks carried by armoured guys into the arquebusiers and musketeers with ripped sash clothing. a lot of variety, a lot of colour, and a lot of potentially theoretical matchups that are quasi-historical, even if you have to stretch some

Interesting! I will dig around a bit more in that era, then!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

Has anyone bought/built/painted any of the Black Powder "Epic Battles" stuff?

I'm very tempted to buy some tiny US Civil War dudes. I know they're very small scale so I might not be able to paint Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's mustache quite right, but still.

I’ve got most of the napoleonic sets. They build and paint in a heartbeat and don’t take much effort to look pretty. They are my favourite minis to work with. 10 stars of 10.

My only complaint is I’m so loving sick of Waterloo, but eh, brit companies gonna brit the gently caress out.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Count Thrashula posted:

10mm? 15mm? 28mm?

They're an odd scale, between 10mm and 15mm.

I'm okay with this, as I'm just going to get ACW stuff and I don't care if it's compatible with anything else.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Cessna posted:

I'm okay with this, as I'm just going to get ACW stuff and I don't care if it's compatible with anything else.

for ACW, I have had good luck with Kallistra, and Old Glory 15mm work really well for commanders, camps, etc.

Really at that scale, it is hard to tell often that things don't match exactly unless they are on the same base right next to each other

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

alg posted:

for ACW, I have had good luck with Kallistra, and Old Glory 15mm work really well for commanders, camps, etc.

Really at that scale, it is hard to tell often that things don't match exactly unless they are on the same base right next to each other

Yea, pretty much. I wish they were a more standard 15mm, but they're cheap and look good. I look forward to burning tiny Atlanta in scale.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering, is anyone aware of any good Bolt Action scenarios? Doesn't matter if they're official or unofficial - just preferably non-themed like the core book's scenarios, if that's an option. (Since I use an Italian Alpini force, while my friend uses the Romanian army. So yeah, not really any suitable campaign books for us :v: )

Check out Bolt Action Alliance scenarios they’re fun for 1 off games

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cessna posted:

Oh I was just making a joke about the house Virtual Russian is saving up for :)

But to add content - MCMiniatures on Wargaming3d has a HUGE line of 13.5mm/epic scale Napoleonic stuff - https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/small-15mm-w-epic-size-french-line-1812-15/. Pretty much name a country and unit type and he's got it. Great way to expand past the confines of Waterloo.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Southern Heel posted:

After a hiatus I'm putting the finishing touches to my 10mm ECW armies and I've realised I really prefer the metal miniatures from Pendraken compared to the Henry Turner 3D prints. Henry's models are good but the Pendraken stuff is just fantastic.

I'm considering the next 10mm massed battle project, after an abortive dalliance with Fantasy. I'm strongly considering either a) the north-west European dark ages i.e. Picts, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Vikings, Anglo Saxons, or b) the War of the Roses/Late HYW period with York/Lancaster and France/England. Individual preference aside, is there anything I should know about gaming these periods? It seems that WOTR is a fairly mundane mirror-match (unless it's a scrap against the Scots), and the HYW while providing two opposing forces appear to offer little else other than bashing the same armies into each other over and over? Am I missing something

The period 1450-1530 or so is the one I'm most interested in in terms of modeling and wargaming and there's actually a considerable amount of variety if you are willing to move away from the WOTR focus of British wargaming. In addition to the Burgundian and Italian Wars, you could, depending on how far afield you're willing to go, even include matchups between European armies and Ottoman, Moorish, or Muscovite forces (e.g. the siege of Constantinople and conquest of the Balkans; the final phase of the Reconquista and the Iberian campaigns in Morocco; and the battle of Orsha, respectively).

There is considerable variation in the use of heavy cavalry (lots in French and Burgundian armies, little in Swiss, for instance), light cavalry (stradiots quickly became widespread, but mounted skirmishers of other types were also employed), the types of ranged weapons employed (crossbows vs longbows vs arquebuses), and the ways in which infantry were deployed (pike squares, of course, but also the liberal use of pavesiers in Eastern Europe, for example) as well as continued use of wagon-based tactics in some regions. In fact, given the fact that this was a period of rapid transition in European and Middle Eastern armies, it includes more variety in force composition and tactics than in many earlier or later periods; it's just that the British focus of historical wargaming has led to the WOTR, which is tactically speaking among the most boring of all conflicts in this period, being the main focus of most manufacturers and ruleset writers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The Italian Wars have the best looking units of any conflict ever

:colbert:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

yup

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just played my first game of C&C Tricorne that I got as a gift and now I'm like "hmmmm how many stands would it take to convert this to minis....."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Just played my first game of C&C Tricorne that I got as a gift and now I'm like "hmmmm how many stands would it take to convert this to minis....."

Tons of people do C&C Napoleonics, they just use 6mm figures on bases the size of the C&C hexes

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh I was just making a joke about the house Virtual Russian is saving up for :)

But to add content - MCMiniatures on Wargaming3d has a HUGE line of 13.5mm/epic scale Napoleonic stuff - https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/small-15mm-w-epic-size-french-line-1812-15/. Pretty much name a country and unit type and he's got it. Great way to expand past the confines of Waterloo.

I'm an artist, so lets say 10mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The answer is "more".

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cessna posted:

Being plastic and designed in a computer they are probably much closer to 15mm than traditional metal ones.

In either case, with all the hats and guns poking up it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between 13-18mm anyway

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

The period 1450-1530 or so is the one I'm most interested in in terms of modeling and wargaming and there's actually a considerable amount of variety if you are willing to move away from the WOTR focus of British wargaming. In addition to the Burgundian and Italian Wars, you could, depending on how far afield you're willing to go, even include matchups between European armies and Ottoman, Moorish, or Muscovite forces (e.g. the siege of Constantinople and conquest of the Balkans; the final phase of the Reconquista and the Iberian campaigns in Morocco; and the battle of Orsha, respectively).

There is considerable variation in the use of heavy cavalry (lots in French and Burgundian armies, little in Swiss, for instance), light cavalry (stradiots quickly became widespread, but mounted skirmishers of other types were also employed), the types of ranged weapons employed (crossbows vs longbows vs arquebuses), and the ways in which infantry were deployed (pike squares, of course, but also the liberal use of pavesiers in Eastern Europe, for example) as well as continued use of wagon-based tactics in some regions. In fact, given the fact that this was a period of rapid transition in European and Middle Eastern armies, it includes more variety in force composition and tactics than in many earlier or later periods; it's just that the British focus of historical wargaming has led to the WOTR, which is tactically speaking among the most boring of all conflicts in this period, being the main focus of most manufacturers and ruleset writers.

Thank you for this amazing detailed reply and information. You mention of Constantinople has me looking at Byzantine armies of the same period too. I’m on holiday at the moment. I have packed the DBA 3.0 book, and I am busily mapping out the various army relations!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you for this amazing detailed reply and information. You mention of Constantinople has me looking at Byzantine armies of the same period too. I’m on holiday at the moment. I have packed the DBA 3.0 book, and I am busily mapping out the various army relations!

The Italian Wars is a very interesting setting. It also allows you a lot of choice in hobby level, as you can make everything from quickly painted hordes of pikemen to elaborately dressed gendarmes and landsknechts where the sky is the limit when it comes to painting. There's also a ton of development of tactics and army composition, so within the period you can do a lot of different things. The Swiss had their specific style, the Spanish their tercios, and as mentioned you can even add the eastern Mediterranean if you want even more variety. And in 28mm there's even a lot of options in plastic these days, so it's not even one of the more expensive periods to wargame.

It's probably our main "forever project", as the last five years or so have seen club members slowly grow a bunch of both fantasy and historical armies based on the setting. At this point I'm pretty sure we have several armies that could be finished at a push - both enough humans to play historical battles and an assortment of Italian Wars themed orcs, undead, halflings and upcoming ducks. One of these days!

The latest addition was me buying a set of Perry's plastic mounted men at arms to see if they would work as mounts for sculpting ducks on top. They would not, but now I have an excuse to paint up some medium cavalry to go with all the gendarmes my clubmates have been collecting.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 6, 2024

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

To be honest, I don’t know anything at all about the Italian wars - that’s at the very end of the time periods that I’ve spent time reading about, and being English generally gravitate towards the British Isles as well. Is there a book you can recommend?

To be honest, I’m likely to incorporate both the Dark Ages and HYW/WOTR/etc. into my multi-era imaginary nation conflict rather than being specifically historical - but it would be great to get some context.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

To be honest, I don’t know anything at all about the Italian wars - that’s at the very end of the time periods that I’ve spent time reading about, and being English generally gravitate towards the British Isles as well. Is there a book you can recommend?

To be honest, I’m likely to incorporate both the Dark Ages and HYW/WOTR/etc. into my multi-era imaginary nation conflict rather than being specifically historical - but it would be great to get some context.

I shamefully only have one book (https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Wars-1494-1559-Modern-Perspective/dp/1138739049#customerReviews), and it is a bit tricky to recommend. It is divided into two halves, one covering the events of the wars and one about the military and social developments of it. The actual war chapters are... challenging. It's such a completely confused mess of actors involved that it makes the War of the Roses look like checkers. And the way they are told in this book is pretty detailed, so I found it very hard to follow along and keep track of things. The latter chapters are a lot easier to read.

So after reading the book I had a bit of a better idea of the wars, but it's like I know a bit about the very very overview of the wars, and a lot of small details, but not like, the medium scale view of the wars.

They are stupidly complicated though so I'm not sure there are any easier source. Pick it up if you can find a cheaper, second hand, copy I guess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I'll admit to a barely rudimentary knowledge of the Italian Wars, I just think it's such a fascinating era right on the cusp where you have the solidification of Pike and shot while at the same time having elaborate plate mail knights and also garish Landsknecht.

Basically, France and Spain paid Swiss and German mercenaries to fight over parts of Italy - past that and it's a complicated mess of personalities that makes Game of Thrones seem quaint.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah I'll admit to a barely rudimentary knowledge of the Italian Wars, I just think it's such a fascinating era right on the cusp where you have the solidification of Pike and shot while at the same time having elaborate plate mail knights and also garish Landsknecht.

Basically, France and Spain paid Swiss and German mercenaries to fight over parts of Italy - past that and it's a complicated mess of personalities that makes Game of Thrones seem quaint.

It basically straddles the end of the Medieval age and the explosive birth of the Renaissance when it comes to warfare, so yeah, lots of interesting stuff and variety. And huge pike formations with lots of flags look great no matter if you’re a good painter or not.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

For sure

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Can't wait to see how this ends up.

https://www.fightforamerica.games/

The dude that is Spectre Miniatures now says he is doing all the figs, which is certainly a feat.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Southern Heel posted:

You're welcome! Here's a pretty good resource to learn about different theaters for this period, from the creators of the great Never Mind the Billhooks ruleset:

https://www.nevermindthebillhooks.com/theatres

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Can't wait to see how this ends up.

https://www.fightforamerica.games/

The dude that is Spectre Miniatures now says he is doing all the figs, which is certainly a feat.

loving lmao, I wonder how many of the blue force capitol police will immediately go neutral and let red force into the building

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the kind of thing you can really only model accurately by doing a Battlestar Galactica on and handing a bunch of people a "traitor card" for them to reveal when they feel like it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Check out Bolt Action Alliance scenarios they’re fun for 1 off games

Ohhhh, yes! This is 100% what we needed - thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

You're welcome! Here's a pretty good resource to learn about different theaters for this period, from the creators of the great Never Mind the Billhooks ruleset:

https://www.nevermindthebillhooks.com/theatres

So on one hand I spend all last night binging Italian Wars info, on the other hand I just dropped like £200 on 10mm dark ages figures. On the bright side, there's no new time being invented in the past, so it's just a case of 'getting a round to it' !

For my Napleonics I based 25mm x 25mm because the units needed to be able to form square/line/column/attack column without being too big.
For ECW I based on 40mm wide bases because I need three bases shot-pike-shot to form a unit, and basing wider would limit the size of game I could play on a 3x3' table
For SYW I based 40mm wide bases too, because there's no need to form square per-unit

For the Medieval period as a whole I'm thinking of basing on 60x30mm since that's a native base size to DBA, and two bases would constitute a unit for OHW or Lion Rampant. Is there any reason why this is a bad idea? I'm not all that familiar with other game mechanisms (billhooks, baron's war, blood and crowns, hail caesar, impetvs, etc.) and what implication there is for unti sizes?

I could obviously base on 40mm x 20mm bases but there's no real advantage that I can see other than needing fewer figures?

EDIT: I took a trip up north recently and I just realised I parked my car approximately on the site of Warwick's deployment at the Battle of St. Albans, i.e. the first engagement of the War of the Roses:

EDIT2: Before I clear away my ECW forces in preparation for the veil of darkness to descend I want to play a game or two with them first and of course I will video battle-report it - Any preferences between One Hour Wargames 🥹 , Pikeman's Lament 🤠 , or DBA-RRR 😳 ?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 7, 2024