Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
genuinely insane that its stephen hawking who is one of the most deranged of the people in this list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Aaahahahahahha

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
man thank goodness stephen hawking was crippled god was trying to hold back his evil

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

triple post but here's david copperfield with assault allegations, a private island complex, and the same kind of stupid pseudoscience poo poo epstein was on:

https://twitter.com/Weirdreadsemily/status/1742982343365914695

It's kind of amazing how no matter how far we come as a species we still end up ruled by wizards and mystics who make up a bunch of poo poo as an excuse to gently caress kids.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the one. Pretty sure using supermodels to spy on and blackmail ruling class failkids is pretty much reality.

Yeah if you disguise yourself as Helmet Kruger and meet with her she asks you to seduce and possibly kill some heiress, I never really put that connection together before but the model trafficing thing is pretty on the nose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WampaLord posted:

Yeah if you disguise yourself as Helmet Kruger and meet with her she asks you to seduce and possibly kill some heiress, I never really put that connection together before but the model trafficing thing is pretty on the nose.

Funny thing is it's probably also a Zoolander reference.

Also that either way, it's actually a pretty cunning ploy. Supermodels are specifically meant to be pretty arm-candy passed around the rich and famous like toys, given access to halls of power while treated as brainless pretty decorations.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think the main motivation to put Dulles (which is why RFK agreed) was to cover up the continued and incompetent CIA attempts to assassinate Castro and cause regime change in Cuba, which would have completely changed the dynamic of how the nation was reacting to the assassination. If large parts of the US started thinking this was a Cuban revenge blow or some Russian plot, God knows what horrible things would have ensued.

I figure some of you guys might not like Christopher Andrew's analysis of the Mitrokhin Archive, but in Andersen's books, you see details in how terrified the KGB were of the US thinking the USSR or any other foreign actor was involved.

hi, you just quoted and replied to your own alt. just letting you know, hope it helps!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

They didn’t cover anything, go outside and ask any random rear end in a top hat on they street who killed JFK, and they’ll either be to stupid to walk on two feet or reply “The CIA”

People who dismiss the CIA as being incompetent think that “competency” matters. Did your boss get where he is because he’s competent? gently caress no, he had money and connections.

The deep state has the unlimited money cheat because they serve capital, and anyone who had the power to challenge them in anyway would rather fall on their own dicks to do whatever they can to help because the rich understand class solidarity better than half the “communists” on this forum.

QAnon took off because everyone and their loving dog knows who shot JFK and who blew up the towers, the actual coverup is a crude afterthought. But most people are too dense and too propagandized by liberalism to convert this into an actual understanding of politics. That should be your job.

Why are people booing this? It's right.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
most of the cia's foreign success is just giving money to the most degenerate, brutal nazis you can find and letting them do the actual work. the english are much more involved with the wetwork and are all cold eyed psychos iirc and also lost their entire empire outside of money laundering for real countries now so who can say whats more efficient?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Puppy Burner posted:

most of the cia's foreign success is just giving money to the most degenerate, brutal nazis you can find and letting them do the actual work. the english are much more involved with the wetwork and are all cold eyed psychos iirc and also lost their entire empire outside of money laundering for real countries now so who can say whats more efficient?

the british empire lasted like 400 years.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is it's probably also a Zoolander reference.

Also that either way, it's actually a pretty cunning ploy. Supermodels are specifically meant to be pretty arm-candy passed around the rich and famous like toys, given access to halls of power while treated as brainless pretty decorations.

Luc Besson made a USSR version on this premise too

there's a JFK tidbit I like from several hundred pages back that there was a Cuban hitman who left bite impressions on his shell casings as a calling card, and decades after the assassination someone found a casing with bite marks pushed into the dirt on the grassy knoll

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
George Bush killed JFK, who did not actually die but helped George Bush do 911 then killed Epstein in prison. I know this because they found JFK's handkerchief in 3 different places and it had cum on it

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Also Tupac ain't dead

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Don't understand how ppl can read the thread that's lays out in explicit detail how the ruling class routinely uses blackmail to keep ppl in line and then go ahead and argue that actually the ruling class couldn't have killed Kennedy because they're too incompetent and / or wouldn't be able to keep their mouths shut about it. You don't even really need to be all that competent when you're able to loving blackmail people into silence. J Edgar Hoover was being blackmailed by the loving mafia ffs, pretty much a bunch of bozos afaict

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
If I have functionally unlimited wealth and power what's stopping me from keeping ppl in lockstep by threatening to torture their families to death if they reveal my secrets? Pretty much nothing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
one can argue that the CIA isn't particularly competent, but they still got what they wanted a bunch of times because they had infinite tries at doing the thing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I also don't buy the "you couldn't keep that many people quiet for that long" critique either because like yeah you couldn't, and they didn't. People back then talked about how it was all bullshit and so we continue to talk about how its all bullshit today - with the added benefit of having more declassified sources at our fingertips to back that up. It's a big open secret that all amounts to trivia, because what are you gonna do about it? That's the real power position. Letting the world know. Openly lying about it.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Zodium posted:

the british empire lasted like 400 years.
it's still around, america owns it now. history is a bitch like that.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
the one thing the CIA could do is kill people and they did. they just hosed up the coverup but it’s America and no one ever does anything about bad things

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I also don't buy the "you couldn't keep that many people quiet for that long" critique either because like yeah you couldn't, and they didn't. People back then talked about how it was all bullshit and so we continue to talk about how its all bullshit today - with the added benefit of having more declassified sources at our fingertips to back that up. It's a big open secret that all amounts to trivia, because what are you gonna do about it? That's the real power position. Letting the world know. Openly lying about it.

https://youtu.be/Os9TU3e0kMo?t=56s

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Im not sure that's what they mean

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Im not sure that's what they mean

i wasn't replying to anyone in particular, i'm just talking about that particularly thought terminating cliche

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

hadji murad posted:

the one thing the CIA could do is kill people and they did. they just hosed up the coverup but it’s America and no one ever does anything about bad things

I was going to say, sending one guy, who you don't mind getting caught, to kill someone, is probably the easiest kind of task an intelligence agency gets assigned.

Even when it comes to the coverup, it's not like there was a whole team of people involved in parachuting him in or helicoptering him out or any of the large set-pieces that expose covert operations. How many people does it take to manage one guy with a rifle? One project manager?

If you think about it the other way, why would this be any larger, or have more moving pieces, than the protective services marksmen teams at public events? It's like two constables reporting to a sergeant, there aren't files on their activities spread throughout the RCMP.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Jan 5, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Burner posted:

paging FF

The Round Table Movement and the Fall of the 'Second' British Empire (1909-1919)

In spite of the general phobia of federalism, there is a strong federalist trend within British political culture. In three very different historical contexts, federalism inspired the action of political movements such as the Imperial Federation League, the Round Table and the Federal Union. Indeed, it was regarded as the solution to problems arising from the first signs of the possible collapse of Great Britain and its Empire.

The Round Table Movement played a particularly interesting role in this regard, attempting to reverse the rapid and inexorable decline of the British Empire. It was a political organisation with roots in all the major peripheries of the Empire and almost unlimited financial resources. This volume discusses the strategies and means employed by the group in order to maintain the British Empire’s global prominence.

The book’s main argument is that we did not have a “British century” – the nineteenth – and an “American century” – the twentieth – but, rather, four centuries of Anglo–Saxon supremacy, which witnessed the affirmation of the national principle – expression of the Continental political tradition – and its overcoming through its opposite, the federal principle, the expression of the insular political tradition.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

maxwellhill posted:

hi, you just quoted and replied to your own alt. just letting you know, hope it helps!

What?

That's not my alt. Why would I have an alt?

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Jan 5, 2024

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Yeah, people did talk (e.g., Ed Hoffman, Rose Cheramie, Charles Crenshaw, Abraham Bolden, etc.)

You don't have to do a perfect job of covering things up; you just need to muddy the waters and discredit witnesses. Look at the genocide in Palestine and contrast that with all the loving dumb poo poo liberals ignoring what's right in front of their eyes. Actual conspiracy doesn't negate the ways in which systemic power protects itself.

edit:
here's the CIA wondering if they should muddy the waters

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Castro on the JFK assasination:

When Kennedy was killed, on 22 November 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald was accused of doing it, and people said he was a Cuban sympathizer. Do you think that people were trying to implicate Cuba in that assassination?

Thank goodness we didn't give that guy permission to visit Cuba. That would have been a tremendous manipulation, a tremendous provocation, because they could have used that to implicate Cuba. Actually, when the investigation was being carried out, we gave them all the information we had.

What do you think of the official version of Kennedy's assassination?

Well, it's all very strange. With the expertise I acquired in sharpshooting, I can't imagine that with a rifle with a telescopic sight such as he had you can fire, load and fire again in a matter of seconds. Because when you shoot with a telescopic sight, if the weapon moves a fraction of an inch you lose your target. You're aiming at a plate, say, that's 600 or 500 metres down the range, and with the recoil from the shot you lose the target, and you have to find it again.
If you're in a window and you fire, you immediately have to reload, reposition the rifle, cock it, find the target again and fire. And finding a target in motion in a fraction of a second with a telescopic sight is very difficult. Firing three times in a row, so accurately, somebody who almost certainly didn't have much experience - that's very difficult.

So you think there was more than one shooter?

Well, what I can't understand about those shots is the way they were fired. I can't formulate any other theory. There are a lot of theories. What I can talk about is just on the basis of my experience with a rifle with a telescopic sight, and what the official version says is quite simply not possible - not just like that, bang bang bang.
There are two things about that assassination that are just incomprehensible to me: one, the kind of shot made by a man with a rifle, which is repeated with incredible accuracy in a very short length of time. That doesn't jibe with the experience that I've had.
Second, Oswald was a prisoner, he was there in jail, and this charitable, noble soul, Jack Ruby, so consumed with grief by the assassination, right there in front of the police and the television cameras and everything killed Oswald. I don't know if anything like that has ever happened anywhere else.

You distrust the official version?

Yes, I do. I totally distrust the version of the way Oswald fired. And Arthur Schlesinger, one of Kennedy's advisers, who has been to Cuba since then, wrote a 900-page book" in which he tells the whole story and says who that man was. This Oswald fellow tried to come here, to Cuba, and since our people had a terrible mistrust of him, we told him no.
Imagine what would've happened if that guy came here and then went back and within a few days killed Kennedy, immediately after being in Cuba for a week. There's a plan there, not just against Kennedy, but against Cuba. I knew that that version was impossible. Schlesinger gives details.
Oswald may have been a double agent. You know how it might have happened he went to the Soviet Union and came back, and everybody knows how those people, at the height of the Cold War, kept each other under surveillance.

He had been in the Soviet Union.

That's right, he was there; he married a Soviet woman. Later he came back, and they got divorced. Schlesinger thinks there may be an almost Freudian explanation for this guy's behaviour.
What was that guy doing when he tried to come to Cuba? How in the world could this Jack Ruby get into the police station and kill Oswald? Those are two extremely strange things, which support, quite reasonably, all the suspicion, the idea of some conspiracy. But I have no evidence, all I can do is speculate. The things that I can talk about are those two questions, and the physical impossibility of firing as Oswald is supposed to have fired - and those things lead one to question the truthfulness of the explanation that's been given.

I'll take this opportunity to ask, since I've been wondering about it and I know very little about this stuff - did Castro somewhat exaggerate (intentionally or otherwise) the impossibility of Oswald making the shots on his own?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Puppy Burner posted:

And the demons John Dee unleashed to fulfill his vision of a British empire own the US now.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the cia dreamed up a bunch of dumbassed ways to kill castro because i guess just having the guy shot didn't occur to them until JFK. anyway, my favorite was recruiting one of castros sexual partners to poison his drink. it didn't work, obviously, but it led to perhaps the most badass (probably? maybe fake) first-hand stories about him

cia recruit lady posted:

He leaned over, pulled out his .45, and handed it to me," she recounted. "He didn’t even flinch. And he said, 'You can’t kill me. Nobody can kill me.' And he kind of smiled and chewed on his cigar ... I felt deflated. He was so sure of me. He just grabbed me. We made love."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

the cia dreamed up a bunch of dumbassed ways to kill castro because i guess just having the guy shot didn't occur to them until JFK. anyway, my favorite was recruiting one of castros sexual partners to poison his drink. it didn't work, obviously, but it led to perhaps the most badass (probably? maybe fake) first-hand stories about him

god damnit, Fidel Castro, you really are the man!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
600 attempts to kill Castro or something like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidel_Castro_and_dairy

quote:

In 1961, the Central Intelligence Agency tried to use Castro's love of ice cream against him. Every day at the time, Castro ordered a chocolate milkshake from the Havana Libre Hotel lunch counter. Richard Bissell Jr., the CIA deputy director for plans, offered Sam Giancana and Santo Trafficante, Jr., the heads of the Chicago and Tampa crime families, $150,000 in order to assassinate Castro. They gave a pill of botulinum toxin to a waiter with the goal of putting it in Castro's chocolate milkshake, but the pill froze to the side of the hotel's freezer and broke.

I'm pretty sure the CIA couldn't get a person close enough to shoot him since that person would inevitably, you know, die.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Al-Saqr posted:

man thank goodness stephen hawking was crippled god was trying to hold back his evil

lots of physicists are evil, the whole point of studying physics is to turn people into corpses

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
first time I've seen these photos

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1743268056715923610

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

they all knew 100% what he was doing because it was the reason they were hanging out around him

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

extremely bad vibes on this one

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

paging FF

The Round Table Movement and the Fall of the 'Second' British Empire (1909-1919)

In spite of the general phobia of federalism, there is a strong federalist trend within British political culture. In three very different historical contexts, federalism inspired the action of political movements such as the Imperial Federation League, the Round Table and the Federal Union. Indeed, it was regarded as the solution to problems arising from the first signs of the possible collapse of Great Britain and its Empire.

The Round Table Movement played a particularly interesting role in this regard, attempting to reverse the rapid and inexorable decline of the British Empire. It was a political organisation with roots in all the major peripheries of the Empire and almost unlimited financial resources. This volume discusses the strategies and means employed by the group in order to maintain the British Empire’s global prominence.

The book’s main argument is that we did not have a “British century” – the nineteenth – and an “American century” – the twentieth – but, rather, four centuries of Anglo–Saxon supremacy, which witnessed the affirmation of the national principle – expression of the Continental political tradition – and its overcoming through its opposite, the federal principle, the expression of the insular political tradition.

The idea that Americans are in any way "Anglo-Saxon" in a cultural sense is delusional, and it's worrying if the author means that in a racial sense.

This is just cope for losing the Empire because Home Rule and equal rights were too scary for the Tories.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

extremely bad vibes on this one

who's the guy on the left :obama:

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The idea that Americans are in any way "Anglo-Saxon" in a cultural sense is delusional, and it's worrying if the author means that in a racial sense.

This is just cope for losing the Empire because Home Rule and equal rights were too scary for the Tories.

WASPs are the HRE to the anglos Rome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

And the demons John Dee unleashed to fulfill his vision of a British empire own the US now.

The Pentagon is just the visible portion of a huge pentagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

i'm seeing a lot alike in both austria hungary and the commonwealth empires disintegrated