Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I helped my six year old niece with a Friends set this Christmas and it included two otters that can be placed so they're holding hands. It was very cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

deoju posted:

The tree itself looks pretty good. Most sets they are pretty lame and don't have enough branches and leaf pieces.

yeah if they played it straight and just added it to their botanical collection I don't think I'd have a problem. Just make the base a little classier and remove all the photo stuff and I'd get it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Borsche69 posted:

yeah if they played it straight and just added it to their botanical collection I don't think I'd have a problem. Just make the base a little classier and remove all the photo stuff and I'd get it

The photo stuff is what sold me on it. Something we can put together as a family and put pictures on. My kids are still young tho so it has more appeal overall.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

The photo stuff is what sold me on it. Something we can put together as a family and put pictures on. My kids are still young tho so it has more appeal overall.

i will die alone as i spent all my money on legos instead of building relationships with other people. maybe i can put pictures of my parents dogs on there.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

actually now i'm sold on it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Put pictures of your LEGO collection on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I have to admit, getting a closer look at the astronaut I'm not sold, but once people here start posting non-product pictures of Astronaut Dog I might pick it up during the next extra points event.

I'm already a midnight buyer for the new UCS TiE Interceptor even though I have the old one already. The blue accents on that one never really wowed me.

And while I normally wouldn't pick up the midi Falcon and Tantive IV, if midi-sized ships keep selling well, they'll keep making them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 5, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you think about it the most recent Tantive is already midi scale.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I built the new Creator camera. It's pretty neat. I'm curious though, shouldn't those animal pictures on the roll be negative? And if you opened it up in the light wouldn't they be ruined? I'm sure they did it for playability or whatever, I just want to know about how a camera like that would work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If it’s slide film, then it develops to a positive instead of a negative.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

I built the new Creator camera. It's pretty neat. I'm curious though, shouldn't those animal pictures on the roll be negative? And if you opened it up in the light wouldn't they be ruined? I'm sure they did it for playability or whatever, I just want to know about how a camera like that would work.

The photos were taken from the negaverse.
The mega-verse

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The John Deere Skidder that I got for Christmas is my first "real" technic build. I've done some smaller kits over the years that aren't too in depth, but this is my first large one. It is extremely impressive to me.

I've been a 30 plus year builder of radio control car/truck kits, dabble in scale modeling, and I'm also a tractor nut. I collect and work on vintage garden tractors (cubs, deeres, etc) and I only say that to show that I've got some experience building things of a mechanical nature.

I was and am shocked at the complexity of it. I'm used to building standard sets and simpler technics. This fella is a step up and feels like I'm building a radio control kit or something, and this is a compliment. There are freakin' pneumatic cylinders and I'm plumbing airlines. There is a replication of an inline john deere diesel six cylinder where the crank actually operates the driveline.

This is freakin' incredible model to build so far for someone who is into this sort of thing, and I guess I just had no clue that technic went this far. I have the 9 series Deere with the cart from last year, and I just picked up the combine- both of which are smaller. I REALLY hope that Lego continues their relationship with John Deere and goes whole hog on a large scale farm tractor with some implements.

I'm gonna finish it this weekend and I'll post some pics.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Envoy from a representative of the other super-expensive plastic hobby:

For a friend's combined Christmas/Birthday gift, I made the party from the Sailor-Moon-inspired tabletop RPG that we've been playing. Because they're individual minifigures, rather than a full set - and because I come from the 40k miniatures tradition - I ended up painting them / sculpting onto them (Lego is a strange and unfamiliar land - does that make them MOCs?)

The box (it had to be given in a box, for the bit):

The lineup!

A punk catgirl character. Cloak is a modified Batman cloak, bell is a de-winged Golden Snitch, and the hair/ears are sculpted onto the bandana.

Lunar businesswoman character. Based on a Hagrid body, with a sculpted mantle, and a staff made out of Loki's helmet's horns (the only suitably crisp 'crescent' I could find). The coat is meant to be 'mother of pearl' coloured - I couldn't do the full opalescence on a flat matt plane, but figured that the glints of white/purple/green do the job OK.

Upsetting robot fairy. The running joke is that the character in question would be rendered realistically, so I ended up using a Bellview character for the moulded face and more 'human' proportions - I think it worked?

Horrible/lovely space alien disguised as a traditional Sailor Moon type character. The armour and legs are from Atlantis, the head is a modded Groot (with a spray of Milliput 'eyes'), and the mask is a Toy Story Wendy head that I sawed down to fit (VERY disturbing to do).

Sailor ... Sun, I guess? Carrying a big fusion reactor hammer. This one was the first I did, and the gold is (imitation) gold leaf). It's a bit scratched in places, but it's worth it for how much it glows, more than gold paint could ever do. As the leader, she's also the tallest - since she has the Hagrid 'coat' body, normal legs, and a bit of extra height on her neck where I rebuilt the epaulettes.

In all but a few cases, where I had to sculpt the model together, they remain perfectly 'functional' lego figures, too - hands can grip objects, they can stand on blocks, bend at the legs, rotate heads, etc.

All in all, it was super fun to do (I was shocked at how cheap and more-ish Bricklink is, especially when you're just getting a few common bits and don't care about the colours), and the painting worked really well - separate them up into individual pieces, superglue them onto a wooden stick, prime them, paint them (I used gouache because it was what I had to hand and what I'm used to), but acrylic would work too), and then give them a ton of matt plastikote sprays. It gives a kind of satiny- finish once you're on the third spray, but for everything other than the grips on weapons etc., it's pretty robust.

The figures are currently living in the friend's Ninjago City, where they are blending right in.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Well that was a loving fun build:

My favourite part is behind spoiler tags, because it's a fun detail you don't see in the finished form, but cool to know it's there:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Twobirds posted:

I helped my six year old niece with a Friends set this Christmas and it included two otters that can be placed so they're holding hands. It was very cute.

I got a friends polybag because it comes with a floating otter but only one, might need to grab another.

There's a different otter in a $10 city set and the A Frame house.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those painted minifigs came out awesome.

Given that, a lot of why I like Lego is because there is no painting or gluing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I just noticed this new printed wheel cover piece that I thought some of you car builders might want to take note of.
https://rebrickable.com/parts/49098pr0002/hub-cap-24mm-without-tube-with-dark-pink-z-tier-print/0/

deoju fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 5, 2024

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I got a friends polybag because it comes with a floating otter but only one, might need to grab another.

There's a different otter in a $10 city set and the A Frame house.

Hah, why have one otter model when you could have two?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

For a friend's combined Christmas/Birthday gift, I made the party from the Sailor-Moon-inspired tabletop RPG that we've been playing. Because they're individual minifigures, rather than a full set - and because I come from the 40k miniatures tradition - I ended up painting them / sculpting onto them (Lego is a strange and unfamiliar land - does that make them MOCs?)

The lineup!

A punk catgirl character. Cloak is a modified Batman cloak, bell is a de-winged Golden Snitch, and the hair/ears are sculpted onto the bandana.

Lunar businesswoman character. Based on a Hagrid body, with a sculpted mantle, and a staff made out of Loki's helmet's horns (the only suitably crisp 'crescent' I could find). The coat is meant to be 'mother of pearl' coloured - I couldn't do the full opalescence on a flat matt plane, but figured that the glints of white/purple/green do the job OK.

Upsetting robot fairy. The running joke is that the character in question would be rendered realistically, so I ended up using a Bellview character for the moulded face and more 'human' proportions - I think it worked?

Horrible/lovely space alien disguised as a traditional Sailor Moon type character. The armour and legs are from Atlantis, the head is a modded Groot (with a spray of Milliput 'eyes'), and the mask is a Toy Story Wendy head that I sawed down to fit (VERY disturbing to do).

Sailor ... Sun, I guess? Carrying a big fusion reactor hammer. This one was the first I did, and the gold is (imitation) gold leaf). It's a bit scratched in places, but it's worth it for how much it glows, more than gold paint could ever do. As the leader, she's also the tallest - since she has the Hagrid 'coat' body, normal legs, and a bit of extra height on her neck where I rebuilt the epaulettes.

In all but a few cases, where I had to sculpt the model together, they remain perfectly 'functional' lego figures, too - hands can grip objects, they can stand on blocks, bend at the legs, rotate heads, etc.

All in all, it was super fun to do (I was shocked at how cheap and more-ish Bricklink is, especially when you're just getting a few common bits and don't care about the colours), and the painting worked really well - separate them up into individual pieces, superglue them onto a wooden stick, prime them, paint them (I used gouache because it was what I had to hand and what I'm used to), but acrylic would work too), and then give them a ton of matt plastikote sprays. It gives a kind of satiny- finish once you're on the third spray, but for everything other than the grips on weapons etc., it's pretty robust.

The figures are currently living in the friend's Ninjago City, where they are blending right in.

I've never seen someone paint minifigs Warhammer style but I like it. Last time I ran a TTRPG I had my players build their characters and it was a blast, but this is a whole other level.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Those are very nice minifig paint jobs.

Without a doubt the thing that I love most about lego building/modeling is that I do not have to get out my airbrush or paint masks. I don't mind the gluing aspect of most models I build, at least not the well engineered ones....but I so loathe painting. I've got a lot of models sitting in my stash just because I don't want to paint!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

The lineup!

:tviv:

That's goddamn amazing. Very well done!

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Without a doubt the thing that I love most about lego building/modeling is that I do not have to get out my airbrush or paint masks. I don't mind the gluing aspect of most models I build, at least not the well engineered ones....but I so loathe painting. I've got a lot of models sitting in my stash just because I don't want to paint!

I was in the same spot and then I discovered gundams. You could paint them but it’s not worth it in my opinion. Gundams and Lego are my chill weekend activity of putting stuff together while listening to a podcast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah as a boardgamer I've got some games that are just full of plastic that will forever remain grey. It's why I try and get acrylic standees wherever possible.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah as a boardgamer I've got some games that are just full of plastic that will forever remain grey. It's why I try and get acrylic standees wherever possible.

Dammit now I'm feeling post-nostalgic-FOMO from not ordering the Bloodborne boardgame. God those figs seem so insanely good and I wanted to paint them... but it was too much at the time.

So. god drat. cool! You rarely see this kind of custom job done on Lego, and even rarer see it pulled off this well, hell, something fully transformed!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Ah yes, the ancient cursed tree made from gnarled black wood and blood red foliage. That totally suits my happy memory family tree.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

finally got around to building Majisto's workshop. I don't get the hate, for a GWP it doesn't feel too skimped on (well, a printed Majisto would have been nice...), the build was fun and it looks great next to the forestmen hideout.

They could've surely done better but I doubt it would've been a GWP then. I didn't have the original workshop so I can't really say I had any particular expectation about this set, though!

Now I need the medieval town square and then I can start making my Castle diorama in earnest. When more new Castle sets, Lego? Come onnnnn :pray:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 6, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Having built the astronaut - it's my first kit with multiple of the paper bags. Just the fact that you can put them upright thanks to the double fold at the bottom puts them ahead of the old plastic bags for me. Just lining them up and putting the box with the recycling immediately is so much more convenient. I can't wait to see hwat it's like with a larger set like the ornithopter I've got coming.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Was making good progress on the Bowser castle but no longer. If I attempt to move the instructions the claws come out. Purring status: very loud

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just looking back on 2023 and I think it might have been my most restrained year since I started collecting about 10 years ago. I think after a decade I've finally been able to to say "that set is awesome but I don't really need it" to a ton of sets. In a weird way, Lego releasing so many adult targeted sets is actually saving me money, cause sets I would have considered a "must have" even 5 years ago are just so commonplace, they have lost their mystique. Really just judging whether or not I buy stuff based on whether or not it explicitly fits into my collection.

That said I think I still spent close to $500 bux on Lego last year. I've had much more ridiculous years. though. Let us never speak of 2021 again

Edit: now that I am thinking about it $500 was not a restrained year at all lol. That's more than I have spent in a lot of years.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 6, 2024

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Just looking back on 2023 and I think it might have been my most restrained year since I started collecting about 10 years ago. I think after a decade I've finally been able to to say "that set is awesome but I don't really need it" to a ton of sets. In a weird way, Lego releasing so many adult targeted sets is actually saving me money, cause sets I would have considered a "must have" even 5 years ago are just so commonplace, they have lost their mystique. Really just judging whether or not I buy stuff based on whether or not it explicitly fits into my collection.

That said I think I still spent close to $500 bux on Lego last year. I've had much more ridiculous years. though. Let us never speak of 2021 again

Edit: now that I am thinking about it $500 was not a restrained year at all lol. That's more than I have spent in a lot of years.

so, 1 set a year??

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m just happy that I built nearly all my 2023 purchases (excluding GWPs) and they are all on display. That means the backlog isn’t getting worse.

And I guess all the unbuilt stuff is a year older and technically more valuable?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Sunk Dunk posted:

so, 1 set a year??

lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I tried to be restrained and did better than 2022. Sort of. The fact that most adult sets go up in value after retirement changes this from throwing away $$ to well, it's not a totally bad purchase.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah even though I rarely sell sets, the fact that they tend to go up in value makes blowing too much money on Lego an easier sell. Selling them would be a pain in the rear end, but I could probably sell my collection for more than I paid if I had to so I guess that helps it feel less like lighting money on fire.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I usually sell my sets after they’ve been on display for a while. I purged out a lot of sets that I don’t “love” even if they’re really cool. The only set I’ll never sell is my VW Camper. Everything else is probably on the chopping block sooner or later.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I frequently think about majorly cutting down, but I can never land on what sets I'm actually willing to sell. That's the double edged sword of collecting something very specific. I basically only buy original trilogy star wars (ok 80%, I've got some other stuff too) and I rarely get doubles, which is nice for not being too tempted to buy other lines, but it also makes everything feel like "part of a collection" tbh I don't care about most of the playset style SW sets, but I have a bunch for the minifigs, which I do care about so those sets just sit in bags in the closet cause I have the figs on display, which is kind of stupid.

I dunno I never had collector brain until I found Lego it sucks. Honestly this last year was not kind to me financially and I feel like I need to pull the band-aid off and scale down my collection a lot this year, just for the extra space and rebuild some of the money I had to spend on medical poo poo, my car etc last year. No idea what I'd sell though. I just know I don't have a lot of cash right now but I have probably 15k worth of Lego sitting around doing nothing.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 6, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
More dumb ghostbusters poo poo from yours truly.

Fitting the ghost in side the circle is definitely a non-standard connection. It is a tight fit, but the clutch holds so :shrugs:.

This ghost minifigure better captures the logo, but I don't have that one. Also 3x3 macaroni bricks would be better proportioned, but they only appear in the Heartlake City Mall set that came out New Year's Day. And they aren't available in red yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The new medieval castle didn’t have a ghost, and is all the poorer for it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's bullshit. They must still have the mold used in the scooby doo set around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
True story: I have a couple scooby sets but never built them. I know I have the van and I think the Mansion, too.

I liked Scooby as a kid and picked these up cheap and then..storage.

Whoa...the van is $$$ now. So is the mansion. Hmm...Thinking I should dig a bunch of sets out to sell and create space.