Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

csammis posted:

Is this a translation error or a source error or something in the last panel? If Planck Oh's playing first base and Hardy Choi throws home how did Planck get the opportunity to make an error? :confused: I'm not a great baseball-knowing guy but I'm fairly sure the "right" play would be 2B / shortstop, whichever Hardy is, to 1B for the out.

Correct! My bad, and the original post has been fixed. As reward for your due diligence, another update-

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

U L T I M A T E
D E F E N S E

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is The Mysteries any good?

It's short and has maybe a paragraph's worth of text in the entire book but for what it is I think it's decent.

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
El Chavo did cry weird and high pitched! It was a running gag w/ all the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQrFJSAM1A

like one piece laughs but cries

i love this show but i dont know if its possible to go back if you didnt grow up watching it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

riderchop posted:

El Chavo did cry weird and high pitched! It was a running gag w/ all the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQrFJSAM1A

like one piece laughs but cries

i love this show but i dont know if its possible to go back if you didnt grow up watching it

that.... was .... well...yeah i guess the comic was spot on.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I reiterate: :sbahj:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sundae posted:

And furthermore, we can clearly see that “Bats Aren’t Bugs” is Waterson’s way of critiquing the public education system….
Occam's razor says the simpler explanation is that Calvin is just a dumbass.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball
:suspense:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

csammis posted:

Is this a translation error or a source error or something in the last panel? If Planck Oh's playing first base and Hardy Choi throws home how did Planck get the opportunity to make an error? :confused: I'm not a great baseball-knowing guy but I'm fairly sure the "right" play would be 2B / shortstop, whichever Hardy is, to 1B for the out.

May be a translation error, but I'm thinking 'send it home' as in on target.

Also, runners 1st & 2nd, 2 out? If fielding the ball has the SS drifting towards second, you flip it there for the shorter throw and the force for out #3. If your momentum's bringing you away from the bag, you set your feet and go for the easy out at first - batter has to finish his swing before he can start running, means the baserunners get an extra step or 2 towards the next base in comparison (IE, 2nd or 3rd is a shorter throw, but since the runner's a good 20 feet further down the line than the batter, 1st is usually still the easier out)

thisusedyet fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 5, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

No Compu-Toon just yet! Will update if one is uploaded!

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 01, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Untranslatable Fingerpori

The original Finnish word here is "Hellevinkuja" which is a compound word that can break down at least two ways. The first is "Hellevin kuja" (Hellevi's alley). The second is "Helle + vinkuja". Helle is a Finnish word for high temperatures, I think the official line is +25 degrees Celsius. The second word, "vinkuja" literally means "squealer" but it just colloquially means whining or annoying complaining.

So there we go. Either Hellevi's alley or a guy who complains about the lack of warm days.

And for the record, we definitely had several +25 degree days last year.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thisusedyet posted:

May be a translation error, but I'm thinking 'send it home' as in on target.

This was what I was thinking metaphorically but literally this was one hundred percent a translation error caused by me jumbling baseball metaphors with actual baseball. The text definitely explicitly states that Hardy is throwing the ball to first base. Usually I'm careful to note things like the baseball announcers always using clear, unambiguous technical language but, well, this was one reason I decided to stop rushing these translations to fit my imaginary schedule. Despite mostly remembering what happens in this volume from when I first read it there's a lot more dramatic ambiguity in the moment than exists in my memories, probably because what the story is going for only really becomes coherent when you actually get to the ending and even then not so much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doomykins posted:

I'm really grateful to get to read Corto and Blueberry from the start! They were always interesting but I was hesitant to read mid-story. I love the art and writing of Blueberry, it's a really enchanting setting.

Corto is kind of a danger magnet, isn't he? :allears:

I'm glad you're getting the chance to start from the... start - they've always stuck with me for being (at least, imho) the apex of adventure-pulp - not that they are immune to critique because of that.

I'm also enjoying Mexikid stories

Anyway, an earlier-than-usual-update, why not?

Corto Maltese (one strip spoiled for, uh, an unpleasant term)

Blueberry

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Doomykins posted:

It speaks to the evils of Retail that I didn't actually expect Cooper to get more than an "atta-boy" raise of maybe 50 cents. Considering how long Retail runs this is a reminder that Stuart is pure evil for decades and knew the entire time that Cooper was working two jobs when they slashed his hours.

Stuart really deserves to be run over, on purpose.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Good thing Popeye's becoming public domain soon, 'cause I sure would like any other writer doing a take on a modern Popeye/Olive story that isn't this person.
Remember when we were excited somebody who liked popeye was taking over? See, he even knows about [obscure character]! and then it turns out he can't draw a fight properly

Shugojin posted:

Milholland really likes Popeye but his own voice is too strong so it bleeds over. I still like it but I liked his stuff. It's definitely weird for Popeye.
It's a lot better than, say, whatishiname the creepy guy who did Nancy previously, but that's a very low bar.

Sundae posted:

And furthermore, we can clearly see that “Bats Aren’t Bugs” is Waterson’s way of critiquing the public education system….

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

The_Other posted:

Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks Title Drop...

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

“Most arcane subreddits” made me chuckle.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 05, 1961)

eta:

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:f5:

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 5, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/4/04

Brenda Starr 5/18/52

Guess we're not done with the Castle-Nolettis yet.

Smokey Stover 1/4/59

Everyday Movies 2/11/37

"I'm five, but I was supposed to say four on the train and I did."

Inebriated Scarlet O'Neil 11/15/42

Scarlet's a lightweight.

Closer Than We Think! 1/4/59

Want to know how we ended up with suburbs that can't be navigated without a car? Because people thought stuff like this was a neat idea.

Bonus Comic! This one interested me because it's so different from everything else on its contemporary comics page -- both the crudity of the art and the weird, fourth-wall-breaking humor.

The Nebbishes 1/4/59

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

They never actually traveled by balloon in the book, so I don't know if this is written by someone that never read the book, or if its written by someone that saw a book with a balloon on the cover and then got really confused because it never happens. Judging by this being Macanudo and the typical twee bullshit happening, I'm guessing the former.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 1/4/59

Want to know how we ended up with suburbs that can't be navigated without a car? Because people thought stuff like this was a neat idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXIe4oOzVs4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsNktD9zW4

Dahir Insaat is right on it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

I'm also posting Bad Machinery in the dedicated John Allison thread, if anyone's interested.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God, people just don't learn about Val, do they :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I will never forgive Calvin for the Noodle Incident.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, January 13-18, 1983

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I always read Calvin and Hobbes as primarily being from Calvin's PoV, hence all the unreliable narrator bits are fine. A 6 year old doesn't have perfect social and emotional maturity? Uncanny.

Calvin's antics and his relationship with others aren't perfectly healthy but they're also entirely realistic and pretty benign for decades of similar character writing and real life anecdotes. Centuries really, he'd fit right in with the Toonerviller Folks kids. As I recall the truly worst things he does are tormenting the babysitter. Even things like breaking windows/appliances are feasible accidents.

Trail usually sucks but you know what, I laughed at this one today. The change of having Mark, the source of his own, uh, thoughts and the butt of the joke do the set up is ten times better than the narration box being Jules nervously elbowing you in the ribs and asking if you got the joke while also being an unrelated meta voice that doesn't belong to any of the involved characters. The last panel just delivers the punchline and lets it stand on its own and it works nicely.

There's also a chance Mark might develop any nuance in his character as being reluctant to share emotionally, and "the guy running the support group turns out to need support" is a good idea and simple twist. Now just do this 30-60 more times to close out the storyline.

quote:

The Phantom

OHHH BOYYYY :guinness:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:ohdear: holy poo poo Demons of Baseball

Jucika "482 - Jucika And The Fearful Little Student"

"483 - Jucika And The Robot Man"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Jucika's sex/slave robot is the highlight of the series.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Arbetor posted:

They never actually traveled by balloon in the book, so I don't know if this is written by someone that never read the book, or if its written by someone that saw a book with a balloon on the cover and then got really confused because it never happens. Judging by this being Macanudo and the typical twee bullshit happening, I'm guessing the former.

I think the David Niven/Cantinflas movie has a balloon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

That poem is simply unexceedable. It can't be defeated.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/13/1993)

(9/14/1993)

Ziggy

(6/28/1971)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

Correct! My bad, and the original post has been fixed. As reward for your due diligence, another update-

The Demons of Baseball

It would be extremely funny if Planck was intending to use the ULTIMATE DEFENSE to throw the game because no one has perfected doing it, only for him to pull it off by accident because his mind's in such an addled state from the fever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I had no idea there was a mid-90's animated series where Teen Flash had a butt-cut and a hoverboard.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Say what you will about Ziggy, he had one of the best Christmas specials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXY-PM2fgog

This somehow wound up right in the middle of my childhood VHS of animated holiday specials. Every year, I got to experience it over and over again: A jarring tonal shift from the slovenly antics of Garfield and earnest sentimentality of the Peanuts gang into the oddly depressing, ultimately heartfelt story of Ziggy silently muddling his way through a dingy, deeply cynical world at Christmas. (It was recorded from a late 80's airing on Showtime, too, so no merry and bright commercial messages to break up Ziggy's trials and tribulations.)

Speaking of sentimentality and cynicism, Rose is Rose

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That 90s show was my main exposure to flash gordon incidentially.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know I watched that 90's Flash back in the day. Checking that IMDB link, every single screenshot is familiar. Yet, I cannot remember a single thing about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HE'LL SAVE EVERYONEOFUS

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Dammit, I thought that was going to be Defenders Of The Earth Flash until I saw that haircut.

Oh, and just a reminder that Popeye 1.0, the no-spinach one with the weird, deflated jawline, begins his public domain journey in 2025. But if you really want to limber up your pen, the first ten years of Thimble Theater is already fair game. So why not make a Life With the Oyls sitcom while you're waiting?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 25, 1935)

Peanuts (January 7, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Breezy and Cobra had a bonding moment awhile back, but really, she just wants to take Cobra off of Rip's ledger.

Li'l Abner (July 18-20, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1940)

Out Our Way (September 27-29, 1943)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 5, 2024

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

LET HER FIND HER OWN.

Yeesh, she may be an rear end in a top hat about it, but the woman can not possibly be any more clear about what she wants.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free