Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Affordable DLP resin printers are also now a thing, relative small form factor but deceptively good for their on paper resolution (concensus is that a 1080 dlp is similar quality to a 6-8k of the same size). They last about 5-10x the amount of time an LCD does and the lamp replacement is significantly cheaper.

And they consume less electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

loving poo poo I think one of the vat bolts on this Mono X is cross threaded too.

They don't even sell this model any more, it may be time to upgrade as I thought.

A shame, i just redid the wham bam and have some upgrade parts for it. Maybe a project for someone? Would sell very reasonably if someone here wants to mess around with it, but it comes with no support from me and no warranty expressed or implied beyond what you can con Anycubic into mailing you.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 5, 2024

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking of printing a big bust/head in a transparent resin, but I've never printed something that huge before. If I'm going hollow with it, what orientation would I use for the head? Part of me thinks head down, neck near print plate but I'm wondering if that's going to cause issues with suction...

Any ideas?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I've been thinking of printing a big bust/head in a transparent resin, but I've never printed something that huge before. If I'm going hollow with it, what orientation would I use for the head? Part of me thinks head down, neck near print plate but I'm wondering if that's going to cause issues with suction...

Any ideas?

That's how you'd do it. And a hole in the base for draining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me8I_wiKMyI

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I’ve been flirting with the idea of building a 350mm^3 Voron. For no reason. I don’t keep my Ender and P1S running constantly, but I love the adult Lego aspect of it…

Thread, tell me it’s a stupid idea and I am stupid to do it…

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

From a car repair post on reddit:

It's a giant heat-set insert used for the drain plug of a plastic oil pan (2023 Nissan Rogue).

It made me think of this thread.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mrbass21 posted:

I’ve been flirting with the idea of building a 350mm^3 Voron. For no reason. I don’t keep my Ender and P1S running constantly, but I love the adult Lego aspect of it…

Thread, tell me it’s a stupid idea and I am stupid to do it…

Build smaller, make it fast. Go for an EZBake Trident IMHO (doomified trident).

Although... There is something awesome about seeing a 350mm 2.4 AWD doomcube going so fast (35k accels) it's cooling limited with a cpap.

deimos fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 5, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ordered a 0.8 hotend kit and smooth PEI plate for the X1C. Time to burn through the filament stash with some chonky-rear end prints!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ryanrs posted:

From a car repair post on reddit:

It's a giant heat-set insert used for the drain plug of a plastic oil pan (2023 Nissan Rogue).

It made me think of this thread.

brb printing a PETG oil pan for my 2023 Nissan Rogue that has no replacement parts

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ordered a 0.8 hotend kit and smooth PEI plate for the X1C. Time to burn through the filament stash with some chonky-rear end prints!

I got the double sided smooth PEI plate a few days ago and I'm about 1kg down on it. Adhesion is great. It does seem like it's going to bubble easily based on removing some smaller prints, but even Bambu admit that's the case. Definitely wait for complete cooling to remove any print and then don't pull on the print itself at all.

That's extremely fragile compared to the smooth plate on my Mk3, which has over 400 days of print time on it (and on only one side, too).

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man I thought I'd get a nice break after Christmas but gently caress I'm just as busy now as I was before

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

queeb, do you ever do larger sized minis? Like multi-part? I'm running off this gently caress-off huge Tiamat and I'm trying to determine things like acceptable joint gaps, etc. Didn't know if you had a feel on that front from your store.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
:cry: Wahhh my extremely successful home business is earning me too much money :cry:

Dat u. :colbert:

:haw:

Yea, spikes in business kinda suck. It's great to have the actual income but sometimes you are just like "wait, drat, I wanted to just chill and watch TV all day this weekend and now all these people want to pay me money for poo poo AAAUUGGGHHHH god my life is so hard".

I like helping my friend out with his business stuff but at the same time after a while it's like"goddamn this mailing poo poo to people who bought it bullshit is for the birds" even though I'm the same idiot who orders poo poo off Amazon on a weekly basis and bitch when it's running late and how it's taking FOREVER (with 2 day shipping) to get here.

Whoda thunk that work of any form can be a colossal pain in the rear end?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

AlexDeGruven posted:

queeb, do you ever do larger sized minis? Like multi-part? I'm running off this gently caress-off huge Tiamat and I'm trying to determine things like acceptable joint gaps, etc. Didn't know if you had a feel on that front from your store.

I made the decision last year to not bother with anything huge and annoying, no big dragons that take 12 hours on 4 printers, no super delicate stuff, im sure im leaving money on the table but I was stressing so much over that stuff I just dropped it all

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

queeb posted:

I made the decision last year to not bother with anything huge and annoying, no big dragons that take 12 hours on 4 printers, no super delicate stuff, im sure im leaving money on the table but I was stressing so much over that stuff I just dropped it all

Ha, I can imagine. No worries. I figured you'd have more experience than most. I'm doing this one as a favor, but I wanted to be sure things were acceptable.

Current gap on the FOHT (gently caress-off huge Tiamat):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
My gut feeling about how acceptable that seam is depends on how you're actually marketing or presenting it: if it's sold as a TTRPG combat miniature or as a raw model that the owner intends to paint, then gaps aren't a big deal, but if it's sold as a display piece that stands alone then it could use some touching up

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Queeb you need to hire a part time shipping assistant or something.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah that's the plan this year, get someone to help a couple hours a day to box stuff

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

Yeah that's the plan this year, get someone to help a couple hours a day to box stuff

Likewise, I'm slowly building some tools for automating listing stuff I might throw your way.

That ones truly my big time sink (sitting on like 4k+ listings)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Boxing stuff up and shipping is def the biggest pain in the rear end part of selling stuff, it's far more time consuming than the actual printing part lol. The only good part is being able to print the shipping labels at home and just dumping 10-15 boxes at a time into the bin at the post office and leaving. I got some interesting looks walking in a few days before xmas with like 15 boxes while the line was like 30 deep and just dropping them in the bin and walking back out lol

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

w00tmonger posted:

Likewise, I'm slowly building some tools for automating listing stuff I might throw your way.

That ones truly my big time sink (sitting on like 4k+ listings)

I'd pay you to use this hahaha

mattfl posted:

Boxing stuff up and shipping is def the biggest pain in the rear end part of selling stuff, it's far more time consuming than the actual printing part lol. The only good part is being able to print the shipping labels at home and just dumping 10-15 boxes at a time into the bin at the post office and leaving. I got some interesting looks walking in a few days before xmas with like 15 boxes while the line was like 30 deep and just dropping them in the bin and walking back out lol

yeah my post office hates me i think, I live in a super rural town and we have a small post office, and i stroll in with like 10-20 boxes a day, i had 50 on one day before christmas and lol. at least i have my own labels and just dump em there too yeah.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 5, 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Chairman posted:

My gut feeling about how acceptable that seam is depends on how you're actually marketing or presenting it: if it's sold as a TTRPG combat miniature or as a raw model that the owner intends to paint, then gaps aren't a big deal, but if it's sold as a display piece that stands alone then it could use some touching up

Yeah, as I said, I'm doing this one as a favor. The recipient will be doing painting/finishing on their own for tabletop.

If I were to market this, it would definitely be in the tabletop realm as a 'finish it yourself' because I don't have the time, talent, or desire to make this a full-time job and release fully-finished models for RPG or display.

My main concern is the parts fitting together well enough that it holds together and gaps are easy to manage for finishing with miliput, etc.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

queeb posted:

Would you be able/open to doing a rather large print l that's super simple if I can get the file for it? It's basically a flat plane that's just shaped weird on the sides but I don't have a printer big enough to do it. It's a replacement side panel for an ebike I built. I could do multiple pieces and glue them together or something but I figured I'd ask here cause I'd rather not do that if possible.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Apparently there was a bug with flow calibration in the new Bambu P series firmware. A new patch firmware was released that fixed it. Might need to power cycle your printer to see it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, as I said, I'm doing this one as a favor. The recipient will be doing painting/finishing on their own for tabletop.

If I were to market this, it would definitely be in the tabletop realm as a 'finish it yourself' because I don't have the time, talent, or desire to make this a full-time job and release fully-finished models for RPG or display.

My main concern is the parts fitting together well enough that it holds together and gaps are easy to manage for finishing with miliput, etc.

This is how GW ships some of their minis:

You're fine.

E: uploaded wrong pic

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 5, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hark posted:

Would you be able/open to doing a rather large print l that's super simple if I can get the file for it? It's basically a flat plane that's just shaped weird on the sides but I don't have a printer big enough to do it. It's a replacement side panel for an ebike I built. I could do multiple pieces and glue them together or something but I figured I'd ask here cause I'd rather not do that if possible.

I don't have any large format printers :( just the usual p1p print size, but if that's big enough definitely, its 256/256/256

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

hark posted:

If queeb can't do it with the bambu size, I have a 350 voron that I might could help with.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

mrbass21 posted:

Apparently there was a bug with flow calibration in the new Bambu P series firmware. A new patch firmware was released that fixed it. Might need to power cycle your printer to see it.

Not according to bambu or the firmware page. I did see people complaining about being unable to complete the flow calibration but that is solely a bambu studio thing, and I dont see anything updating that yet

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

queeb posted:

I don't have any large format printers :( just the usual p1p print size, but if that's big enough definitely, its 256/256/256

As of today I should be getting a p1s (hurry up UPS :aaaaa: ) but I don't think it's big enough to print the thing unfortunately.

mattfl posted:

If queeb can't do it with the bambu size, I have a 350 voron that I might could help with.

I don't know the exact dimensions, but I'll try to find them and let ya know if this would work.

Thanks though both of y'all!

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Roundboy posted:

Not according to bambu or the firmware page. I did see people complaining about being unable to complete the flow calibration but that is solely a bambu studio thing, and I dont see anything updating that yet

I just updated a minute ago from 01.05.00.00 to 01.05.01.00. Maybe you already have that version installed? I had to do a hard reset of the printer to see it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That's a beta update, as far as I can tell.

e: I'm wrong, nevermind!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Any thoughts on the x1plus firwmware for the Bambu X1C? Looks like it's approaching release? But you have to be on 1.6.5.0 it looks like, and Bambu disabled the downgrade because they are fuckers.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 5, 2024

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

Any thoughts on the x1plus firwmware for the Bambu X1C? Looks like it's approaching release? But you have to be on 1.6.5.0 it looks like, and Bambu disabled the downgrade because they are fuckers.

I just watched a video about it. There is nothing in it that interests me at all. I've played enough with custom firmware on my voron, it's nice that the Bambu's "just work" with the firmware included.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
is there any information about it that isn't videos? I'm trying to find out what's in it but all I'm getting are reddit links to youtube video and I'm not in a location where I can listen to videos right now

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 5, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It shows numbers and a graphic for bed leveling, numbers for vibe calibration, and most importantly for anyone who cares it allows you to turn off all outgoing connections and run the printer in LAN-only mode with SSH support.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Chairman posted:

is there any information about it that isn't videos? I'm trying to find out what's in it but all I'm getting are reddit links to youtube video and I'm not in a location where I can listen to videos right now

all information on the internet is videos or discord links now and it loving sucks poo poo.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Except for the SSH support, doesn't the LAN mode already allow to turn off all outgoing connections?

What I would find interesting if it would allow to push the nozzle temperature to 320 C like the X1E to print PPS. People have already done that by loving with the X1C thermistor, but with firmware access it should be possible to do without compromising operation at lower temperatures. Not mention setting PPS specific filament change etc. nozzle temperatures. Basically copy X1E functionality to X1C, that is.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Now that they've disabled firmware rollback, i wonder if someone's attacking that angle. Probably some sort of MITM attack by using local DNS to force the app and machine to talk to a local server rather than bambu's.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Teaching Tech video on the X1plus firmware said that the X1plus team and Bambu Lab CEO are in discussion with each other. Interesting to see if that leads to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mattfl posted:

I just watched a video about it. There is nothing in it that interests me at all. I've played enough with custom firmware on my voron, it's nice that the Bambu's "just work" with the firmware included.

Its nice to know that its possible if for whatever reason Bambu goes out of business or starts doing shady business practices.