Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Alternatively, make exile trigger 'dies', but also keyword flicker, and explicitly have it not trigger "dies" effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Brimg back buried for exiled creatures, clearly.

I always liked "Bury x" as a description on a spell. I think there was some old removal that did that?

Just sounds cool in this poster's opinion

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I always liked "Bury x" as a description on a spell. I think there was some old removal that did that?

Bury used to mean "Destroy, can't be regenerated." It got axed in 6th edition when the rules were overhauled to their current form (The stack, removal of interrups and instants, etc)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Judging by Wrath of God's text, it started in Revised and became a pretty badass "Bury all creatures" in 4th and stayed that way through 5th.

It also meant sacrificing something against your will, like, as a drawback, at least during Mirage as Phyrexian Dreadnought shows.

I seem to remember an edict effect saying bury but Diabolic Edict in Tempest says sacrifice, and I don't want to look at every card in tempest and mirage blocks to find what I am thinking of right now.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Abhorrence posted:

Bury used to mean "Destroy, can't be regenerated." It got axed in 6th edition when the rules were overhauled to their current form (The stack, removal of interrups and instants, etc)

Oh I had no idea! I didn't play back then really, though I had some cards. At the very least I didn't know the rules even remotely properly I bet. I figured it was just a more descriptive way to say destroy

I think my very first deck was some nonsense that had a bunch of circles of protection in it when I was maybe in junior high? God that's so incredibly long ago rip

Edit: oh man it had mana flare in it too I think. It makes you get double mana, how could it be bad?!?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 5, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

HootTheOwl posted:

You were not ready to have the conversation

i'm waiting for the bit to complete so we can see how this is all just a way to ban blood moon

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
exile becomes dies would immediately break blood artist effects wouldn't it? there wouldn't be any clean answer to them ever

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ilmucche posted:

exile becomes dies would immediately break blood artist effects wouldn't it? there wouldn't be any clean answer to them ever

Or things like the scam instants

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Would also mess heavily with any of the undying/Persist creatures.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

Then we escalate to shuffling back into the deck as removal, until that becomes ubiquitous and dies is expanded to include that, then it's upgraded to return to hand then shuffle in cards named ~, until dies is expanded to include leaving the battlefield in any way, then removal flips cards face down before destroying them, and the cosmic ballet goes on.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Or wotc could just print less loving exile removal that isn't enchantment based

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Weird Pumpkin posted:

You're probably thinking of this.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Wasn't part of the rule with "bury" that the creature went to the bottom of the graveyard or am I imagining that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Wasn't part of the rule with "bury" that the creature went to the bottom of the graveyard or am I imagining that?

It was not, you are

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That would have been cool, back when it mattered. gently caress your ashen ghoul!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bury always just meant "can't be regenerated" as far as I know.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Weird Pumpkin posted:

imo legacy is a better format than modern because the powerful universal answers also have extremely bonkers threats and powerful combo enablers to go with them

but I mostly have an axe to grind with cards like the evoke elementals truth be told, and I still kinda think unholy heat is too efficient for how easy it is to turn on

edit: but I totally get different viewpoints on this, I am, admittedly, a linear deck enjoyer at the end of the day

I admittedly haven't played any legacy - not for lack of access (on mtgo with manatraders). Paper is a little out of reach since I'm rebuilding my collection from scratch.

And Unholy Heat is just ridiculous. I can't complain about the evoke elementals because with Grief sticking around Hardened Scales becomes a better deck and that's my absolute jam. We hate amulet titan over here. We hates it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back regenerate and let them regenerate chance on being sent to exile.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Cons of Hoot's scheme: thousands of cards break, either becoming far better or far worse basically by accident; r&d have fewer options when designing with no new avenues; aggro strategies continue to drown under midrange value piles; introduces a precedent to wildly change the rules with no clear benefits but significantly more confusion.

Pros od Hoot's scheme: leyline binding's meta share decreases by .2%

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://x.com/_Memo_4302/status/1743307395458105793?s=20

https://x.com/Pingmeisterpong/status/1743246263670227134?s=20

Don't play video cam magic for stakes.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/j1va_97/status/1743257818516332852?t=eTDB8FsQEJxLbGq69hxuAw&s=19

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

You know when would be a good time to cheat at Magic? When my own camera is on and recording me.

lmao I love good comedy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

You know when would be a good time to cheat at Magic? When my own camera is on and recording me.

lmao I love good comedy

People who will cheat on camera are just the most degenerate of cheaters. So compulsive that they can't help themselves. A cheater who cheats on camera might as well get a lifetime ban as they can't stop themselves at cheating as much much as an alcoholic can't stop after a single drink. Its pretty sad.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Okay I'm not seeing the first one, the second video, like........did that person just have a little tray to hold the card he or she wanted to just put into their hand?????

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 5, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jiro posted:

Okay I'm not seeing the first one, the other one like........did that person just have a little tray to hold the card he or she wanted to just put into their hand?????

The issue is the shuffling. If you ever see someone shuffling these ways for games with stakes, you should be concerned.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://x.com/bryantacook/status/1743310777585410281?s=46

I’ve had some fun playing on webcam, but tournaments should 100000% be done in a digital client.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i'm guessing in the shuffle clip the guy can feel his dockside extortionist to cut to it so either the card sleeve is scuffed or bent or something.

cheater's plan is so when he goes for the brazillian cut, the dockside is on top of the middle pile and he's using people tendencies to pick the 2nd pile. pretty sure he also peeks the bottom of pile #1 to make sure its not dockside. the way he grips and drops dockside right before he cuts is also a weird grip.

anyways the shuffling at the very least is suspicious. i don't play 100 card formats but assuming you play those formats shuffling shouldn't be that difficult.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Some people have problems with shuffling 100 card decks if they have small hands, but that's not what's happening here

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Some people have problems with shuffling 100 card decks if they have small hands, but that's not what's happening here

100%. I don't expect perfection, but someone shuffling is wanting to view the contents of their deck while shuffling to in order to loving cheat.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'll give one million dollars to the person who can design a feasible system to make priority passing in digital multiplayer magic not a complete assfuck

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The way MTGO handles it is fine, what is your problem with it?

The one change I'd like made, although I don't know if it is even possible without breaking something, is not letting floating mana reset priority. Even in paper that leads to some pretty annoying games, and it's like 'soft banned' (for whatever that's worth lol) from some tournaments.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sickening posted:

100%. I don't expect perfection, but someone shuffling is wanting to view the contents of their deck while shuffling to in order to loving cheat.

Need an automated machine card shuffler that can handle double sleeved cards with dragon shield outer sleeves.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

I’ve had some fun playing on webcam, but tournaments should 100000% be done in a digital client.

Arena doesn't have commander and mtgo is missing a whole bunch of cards.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

kung fu jive posted:

I admittedly haven't played any legacy - not for lack of access (on mtgo with manatraders). Paper is a little out of reach since I'm rebuilding my collection from scratch.

And Unholy Heat is just ridiculous. I can't complain about the evoke elementals because with Grief sticking around Hardened Scales becomes a better deck and that's my absolute jam. We hate amulet titan over here. We hates it.

I'm honestly super jealous, scales looks really fun to play. I started modern with storm which was not great then and is totally unplayable now. Now I bounce between tribal decks, if only I'd started with a better deck lol. At least I've got all the fetches and most of the shocks at this point, so if I decide I want to play something viable I have a lot of options that aren't too crazy expensive (so long as they don't involve TOR... and don't involve extremely critical mythics that will come with MH3 which.. well..)

Judgy Fucker posted:

This would be extremely cool and very flavorful.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Arena doesn't have commander and mtgo is missing a whole bunch of cards.

I don't think it is missing anything significant for CEDH, but that's a good point. I think Cockatrice has basically everything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Didn't the warhammer cards make a pretty big splash?

I know that Boshnroll keeps mentioning this "Triumph of St Katherine" which I have not seen or know what it is since I only watch digital magic lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't the warhammer cards make a pretty big splash?

I know that Boshnroll keeps mentioning this "Triumph of St Katherine" which I have not seen or know what it is since I only watch digital magic lol

That's for Legacy, TSK and some spider robot thing for Painter decks are both meta cards in paper that aren't available on MTGO IIRC. I don't think any meta CEDH decks run any of the WH40k cards (but I think there's an Esper commander that is supposed to be pretty good). Tivit was the biggest missing piece for a while, but it has been in.

Lacking 100% card availability isn't nothing, and I can see why TOs would value it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

I don't think it is missing anything significant for CEDH, but that's a good point.

Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward is more relevant than the entirety of LCI.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

The real question is why not use some sort of digital tabletop, like Tabletop simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward is more relevant than the entirety of LCI.

Isn't he on MTGO? That's crazy if he's not.

EDIT: Looks like he's on but bugged and disabled? Maybe one day.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 5, 2024