Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My brain is utterly broken when it comes to missing out on loot and as a result I have never ever killed anyone in this game by tossing them into a chasm. I just can’t bring myself to waste perfectly good loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

It's a shame you have to do so many bad things to get Dark Shadowheart because she's a lot more fun as a true baddie than a wine mom.

Can’t you just pick the “yo, you should totally stab her” option and she’ll do it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Lord Bude posted:

My brain is utterly broken when it comes to missing out on loot and as a result I have never ever killed anyone in this game by tossing them into a chasm. I just can’t bring myself to waste perfectly good loot.

My next run is going to be a barbarian Durge who relies exclusively on throwing and hurls every possible enemy into pits like some kind of possessed Donkey Kong. I won't be needing money because I'm going to throw merchants into pits, too. The minute Volo reaches for that icepick he's going right down a pit. The abyss hungers, and it is my job to feed it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

My next run is going to be a barbarian Durge who relies exclusively on throwing and hurls every possible enemy into pits like some kind of possessed Donkey Kong. I won't be needing money because I'm going to throw merchants into pits, too. The minute Volo reaches for that icepick he's going right down a pit. The abyss hungers, and it is my job to feed it

What happens if you throw Withers in a pit

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've noticed with the returning pike that sometimes it just lags. Whenever you throw it, wait 2-3 seconds to see if it comes back before ending your turn. It can only return on your turn, so if you quickly throw and then end your turn, sometimes your turn ends before it comes back. This might only happen on multiplayer, I haven't really tested it in a solo game.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Ashcans posted:

Caveat: I beat him on the second try under Balanced (I ate poo poo the first time because I don't look up anything and end up figuring out mechanics on the spot) with what would certainly be considered a sub-par group here. I had my Paladin/Warlock Tav, Karlach, Jaheira, and Shadowheart (all their base classes, no multiclassing or anything).

I went into the fight with both Jaheira and Shadowheart having summoned assists, a Myrmidon and a Djinn. Under this mode I don't have enough damage to simply one-round Raphael. Instead I split up my party to destroy the pillars. They are vulnerable to both Bludgeoning and Force damage, so Karlach and my Tav were able to take down one each in the first round. I used Hope to banish Yurgir with her special action, and my summons played interference on the enemies with some AOE from Shadowheart and Jaheira. Second round I removed the remaining pillars - as someone noted above, removing the pillars actually buffs Raphael by allowing him to transform, but this is triggered per-round, not per-pillar - so if you remove all the pillars rapidly, he'll only transform once. Otherwise (as I found out the first time) each time you break a pillar he can get the buff again. If you had Haste on your party you might be able to one-round all the pillars, with the right damage combos.

His Ascended form is a pain in the rear end, but with the pillars gone he doesn't get the bonus damage, restored souls, or healing from them. I threw my Tav at him; she had a high base AC (I think 24) and the Cloak of Displacement which means all attacks are at Disadvantage until you take damage. I used Jaheira and Karlach to mop up the Cambions and KO Korilla, and Hope to heal - Shadowheart played support while waiting out Radiant Retort. From there it was just beating him down with Karlach and Tav.

This is definitely not the most efficient path; I think the whole combat probably took 6-7 rounds, which is positively glacial by how people talk about fights here, but after dropping the pillars it never felt like I was at serious risk of losing. The biggest issue is making sure that Hope doesn't get murdered immediately because you can't improve her initiative and it's possible for someone to do her serious damage out the gate. If your characters are high enough up you can create some space to keep her safe.

I just did this fight and this is how it went in HM mode

Karlach and Laezel took out their hammers and took down the columns. Between the two of them, Laezal took down 2 columns in one round, but Karlach got unlucky on some rolls and it took 2 rounds for her take down 2 columns. Raphael has really high AC if you don't take down the columns, so I usually go for these first even though it does something to Raphael that makes him transform.

Shart cast Otto's Dance on Raphael. He breaks it in like 2-3 rounds now, but it's a good way to keep him out of it. Shart has level 1 wizard, so she can learn any spells but it can use her cleric slots. She also has so many +1 Spell DC items from Act3, that she usually has 100 percent chance to hit. Shart can also recast Otto on Raphael if needed.

Yurgir is on my side(no persuasion roll even needed, as he was the one who helped me get here), and he instakills Korilla for some reason, and then just dicks around stealthed and throwing daggers at the cambions. For a huge guy, he acts like a rogue.

Hope uses her banish on cambions, and then just does group heals, as I wanted to keep her out of the fight and save her. I keep her away from Raphael too, as in past runs I've lost her cause Raphael casts some AOE hellfire thing that can oneshot folks.

My TAV is a paladin bard and just kills a few cambions before tanking Raphael when he breaks out of Otto's Dance. She has 23 AC, but also has Defense Flourish, so she can get ridiculous high AC that and still add in smites. She is a dex paladin, and has that finesse polearm with GWM, that she adds both Magic Weapon +2 on, AND the Drake elemental bonus, making it +5 to hit, and also adds elemental damage. She can do Level 4 smites too, which really nova nukes targets.

Also, I summon ALL my summons, Shovel, Us, Scratch, Mummy from a ring, Danse Macabre, a random minor elemental. They don't do much but they tank some hits from the cambions.

After the cambions are all dead, we just focus on Raphael and take him out in another 2-3 rounds. Even with his AOE hellfire thing, between Shart(who is also a life cleric) and Hope(who I just use her divine intervention that heals and long rests everyone), we have no problems keeping everyone alive.

Next time I play thru this fight though, I heard you can knock out Korilla and it makes Hope happy, so that's another challege.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I'm kinda not liking this Evil Wizard Durge run. Being a bad Wizard is fun but I want to make the super unethical choices instead of being straight-up psychotic. Plus I killed off Gale early and I think it would be more fun to take him along and taunt him with how much of a better Wizard I am. Think I might restart as a normal Tav.

It's a shame you have to do so many bad things to get Dark Shadowheart because she's a lot more fun as a true baddie than a wine mom.

Yeah, i think the option to psychotically kill the people with a lot of content should have been given near the end, not the beginning. You can quickly lose Astarion, Gale, Karlach, Halsin and Wyll if you're acting like an unrepentant durge. Why can't Gale run around with one arm anyways?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Thundarr posted:

What happens if you throw Withers in a pit

Nothing more or less than was ordained by fate. These events are all written in the skein of aaaaaaaaaaaa

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Tactician with greater chances to miss on everything taught me to love magic missile and blunt weapons with tenacity more than anything

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AgentHaiTo posted:

I just did this fight and this is how it went in HM mode

Karlach and Laezel took out their hammers and took down the columns. Between the two of them, Laezal took down 2 columns in one round, but Karlach got unlucky on some rolls and it took 2 rounds for her take down 2 columns. Raphael has really high AC if you don't take down the columns, so I usually go for these first even though it does something to Raphael that makes him transform.

Shart cast Otto's Dance on Raphael. He breaks it in like 2-3 rounds now, but it's a good way to keep him out of it. Shart has level 1 wizard, so she can learn any spells but it can use her cleric slots. She also has so many +1 Spell DC items from Act3, that she usually has 100 percent chance to hit. Shart can also recast Otto on Raphael if needed.

Yurgir is on my side(no persuasion roll even needed, as he was the one who helped me get here), and he instakills Korilla for some reason, and then just dicks around stealthed and throwing daggers at the cambions. For a huge guy, he acts like a rogue.

Hope uses her banish on cambions, and then just does group heals, as I wanted to keep her out of the fight and save her. I keep her away from Raphael too, as in past runs I've lost her cause Raphael casts some AOE hellfire thing that can oneshot folks.

My TAV is a paladin bard and just kills a few cambions before tanking Raphael when he breaks out of Otto's Dance. She has 23 AC, but also has Defense Flourish, so she can get ridiculous high AC that and still add in smites. She is a dex paladin, and has that finesse polearm with GWM, that she adds both Magic Weapon +2 on, AND the Drake elemental bonus, making it +5 to hit, and also adds elemental damage. She can do Level 4 smites too, which really nova nukes targets.

Also, I summon ALL my summons, Shovel, Us, Scratch, Mummy from a ring, Danse Macabre, a random minor elemental. They don't do much but they tank some hits from the cambions.

After the cambions are all dead, we just focus on Raphael and take him out in another 2-3 rounds. Even with his AOE hellfire thing, between Shart(who is also a life cleric) and Hope(who I just use her divine intervention that heals and long rests everyone), we have no problems keeping everyone alive.

Next time I play thru this fight though, I heard you can knock out Korilla and it makes Hope happy, so that's another challege.

This is how it went down on my current tactician run:

2 of my party were ahead of Raphael in the initiative order. My bard/spore Druid/fighter used haste spores, then used her 3 actions (with action surge) to shoot 4 twin flourish shots and 2 tripping shots (battlemaster) at Raphael. My bard/paladin/fighter used the ability to force Raphael to use his next action to attack him, then spent all of his actions unloading lvl 4 smites into him. My wizard/tempest cleric/sorc did a twin cast chain lightning ( max damage) a regular chain lightning (max damage) and a quickened chain lightning, which took out most of Raphael’s remaining health and killed most of the cambions and korilla; and my tavern monk finished of Raphael and then mopped up a remaining cambion. Hope watched.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My last HM fight against Raphael:

I showed up with 50 smokepowder barrels and turned all of Raphael's help in to mush

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tae posted:

Is there a weapon to use if you're not a lizard for melee, I feel like almost every greatsword I wanna use is racist towards non-lizards

Sarevok drops a greatsword that adds necrotic damage and heals you on each hit. Corpsegrinder in Act 3 is another maul that adds thunder damage, you get it from beating up the Stone Lord thugs near the shore. And Balduran's Giantslayer from Ansur.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I just did the game in the wrong order. I went to The Underdark first and then made my way to the Shadow Lands while skipping the mountain pass. I went back and did the pass and good lord were the fights so much easier than what I had been used to. I also got an item that helps specifically with undead and that's making later areas much more manageable.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

exquisite tea posted:

I expected that you'd have to try hard to do the opposite. My first run was not exactly evil, but very self-serving and morally ambivalent, and I let Shadowheart make her own decision, expecting she would kill Aylin. I was surprised when she held back and felt tricked by my fake-goth cleric gf :mad:

exquisite tea posted:

Picking your battles and how you fight them is an important part of the game. Scanning ahead in the environment and arranging your dudes so that you're in an advantageous position relative to ledges, lava etc. are as much a part of learning the combat as casting magic missile. Remember that anything the bad guys can do, you can do the same tenfold, so take sweet revenge and shove THEM off cliffs instead of getting caught in a bad position. You can't always control when you'll enter combat, but most of the time you can get a feel for when a battle is coming and switch to another character to move them to the right spot if you have to. In the early game especially, using consumables like speed potions and scrolls are super helpful. Don't hoard them and use whatever you can to gain an advantage. If you're truly struggling, then I guarantee there are aspects of the combat you haven't yet intuited, because there are many ways to completely break encounters without even being particularly cheesy. Which is fine, not everybody should expect to be an expert on Day 1! So there's no shame in knocking down the difficulty a peg until you do.

Do you get increased range on ranged attacks when you take a high position? In the Dror Ragzlin fight, I snuck Astarion and Karlach up into the rafters beforehand. Karlach rained javelins down and murdered everything, but Astarion with his crappy strength couldn't jump beyond the first ledge and he spent most of the fight out of hand crossbow range, which I definitely did not expect since he was ~40 feet above his targets.

Larry Cum Free fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 5, 2024

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Vargatron posted:

I'm approaching 35 hours in this game, but the combat is wearing me down to the point to where I want to quit. I'm getting real tired of a) getting ambushed and having party members knocked out before their turns can even come up, b) enemies who explode on death, and c) getting punted into a chasm to my death. I'm basically quicksaving every 5 minutes because I don't want to lose an hour of progress when something inevitably goes wrong. It's not even a matter of the game being "too hard", it's just that I'm not having fun playing around what the game seems to expect you to do.

just lower difficulty

getting ambushed isn't too bad on lower difficulty settings

take alert as a feat makes it impossible for your character to be surprised

don't be afraid to ditch and run from combat

that being said quicksaving is still mandatory mostly cuz how buggy the game is LOL

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 5, 2024

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think that, at least until you start getting to the end of the big sidequests in Act 3, if you're getting into fights where you are totally outnumbered, there are probably things you could have done to approach the situation differently. The Nere fight is definitely one of those times. It's pretty clear when you first get to Grymforge that there's a very uneasy alliance going on here. Maybe you can tip that in your favor?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larry Cum Free posted:

Do you get increased range on ranged attacks when you take a high position? In the Dror Ragzlin fight, I snuck Astarion and Karlach up into the rafters beforehand. Karlach rained javelins down and murdered everything, but Astarion with his crappy strength couldn't jump beyond the first ledge and he spent most of the fight out of hand crossbow range, which I definitely did not expect since he was ~40 feet above his targets.

I do know that thrown items (and people) get increased gravity damage the farther they fall, not sure what the exact equation is though. My guess is the inverse of the square of the distance.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OzFactor posted:

I think that, at least until you start getting to the end of the big sidequests in Act 3, if you're getting into fights where you are totally outnumbered, there are probably things you could have done to approach the situation differently. The Nere fight is definitely one of those times. It's pretty clear when you first get to Grymforge that there's a very uneasy alliance going on here. Maybe you can tip that in your favor?

or you know

praise the absolute

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

I do know that thrown items (and people) get increased gravity damage the farther they fall, not sure what the exact equation is though. My guess is the inverse of the square of the distance.

I mean for shooting arrows though. It seems like you don't get extra range based on your height relative to the target, which seems counter-intuitive. Especially when you do get extra range for jumping.

OzFactor posted:

Yeah, the game pretty explicitly expects you to use stealth and diplomacy as much as possible. You can rush into an enemy lair and kill everyone, but you should make sure you're really good at killing lots of people if you're doing that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I shudder to think of what madness would lead someone to thinking that the regular combat was too difficult and frustrating but found the very bug prone and gimmicky fight at the grymforge totally cool. If you do it in the intended manner it can be a real pain in the rear end because you're supposed to be able to bait the AI but sometimes it just won't do the expected behavior, or get stuck on something, or have any number of things go wrong. The game is buggy in general but most fights in the game, particularly on balanced or below, can be brute forced by even a suboptimal party, to say nothing if you're prepping like a witcher and proceeding into combat with some semblance of tactics. I like the grymforge fight in theory but God drat is the execution a mess.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Larry Cum Free posted:

Yeah, the game pretty explicitly expects you to use stealth and diplomacy as much as possible. You can rush into an enemy lair and kill everyone, but you should make sure you're really good at killing lots of people if you're doing that.

yeah especially in act I, the game is DnD at its finest and basically allow you to use logics to figure out how to solve your problem without railroading you into combat. And the game -allows- your creative solution to work whereas other games will block out obviously logical solutions and force you into doing the one the game wants.

I'm doing a solo bard run on tactician right now, fun -is- figuring creative ways to complete quests when you straight up cannot win fights

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Halsin you motherfucker, all you had to do was stay near me and we would have killed everyone in Moonrise room by room before robbing the merchants, but no, you had to get stuck on some geometry and piss off the goblins, which you killed with an attack before I could stop you, triggering the guards, and the watching eyes, so I had to fight the entire goddamn platoon in dribs and drabs because I couldn't get to it to silence it.

You're lucky they are happy to forgive and forget the fact that all their butchered compatriots lie around us as we barter (so I can rob them efficiently).

That would have been a particularly dumb way to end my Honour Mode run.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Considering how good and high quality the rest of the game is, I'm surprised at just how terrible the interface is. I keep buying or selling the wrong items while dragging items at the merchant, the right click menu straight up doesn't work while dealing with vendors, and the way you can't see your whole party's inventory at a glance is just awful. And why is there even a lantern toggle if that's going to unequip your weapons and send them back into your bag??? It's amazing they somehow managed to make it worse than how it was in D:OS2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I don't drag anything. What I do is just switch to Barter, double click everything I want to sell, then balance out the trade with gold. Barter Mode helps because sometimes you miss stuff the first time through selling off all your crap. Then when I'm done with my MC I see if there's any stuff left to sell on my companions.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Cavelcade posted:

Halsin you motherfucker, all you had to do was stay near me and we would have killed everyone in Moonrise room by room before robbing the merchants

All you had to do was follow the drat main (character)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I'm playing on Balanced right now. I think my problem is just the encounter design itself and not the difficulty. Just a lot if small things that add up. Fights either feel too easy or too hard with little median.

Honestly, I think I just wish the game had like a Real Time with Pause setting or something I could toggle. Kind of like Pathfinder.

I would hate this game with real time with pause. I hate the combat of the old bg games. This game let me learn and actually use spells and make strategies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In the cave tunnel with the unconscious druid and the goblins, my thrown javelin hit a goblin, and then bounced to hit the druid, killing him

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
real time with pause felt very awkward in pillars of eternity when I played

like I was pausing every nanosecond and was kinda like "shouldn't this just be turn based"

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

OzFactor posted:

This is true but I'll add on regarding differing approaches to fights that if you build well and understand the system and have a good party composition the numerous ambush fights are a lot of fun if played straight. Granted I consider it a soft challenge mode since you're almost always at some kind of disadvantage when these things pop off but there's so many role playing options for being utterly stupid or principled that I consider taking the fights head on as both challenge and expression of character concept.

Also setting up the optimal positioning can be tedious. I tend to do it in situations where it makes narrative sense. Less so if it doesn't. Not taking a stand as such just don't think players will always want to pre prep for every encounter.

Also just an add on hint. Kill lights people. It makes it easier to stay obscured.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shard posted:

I would hate this game with real time with pause. I hate the combat of the old bg games. This game let me learn and actually use spells and make strategies.

The rtwp experience: "cool, got me some tactical positions and can - oh God dammit everything is happening at once and those assholes already ran out of the range of the spells I was casting and fuuuuu"

Terrible experience and doesn't translate to d&d combat at all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ironically RTWP messes more with the gameflow than turn-based because most of the time you don't even get to enjoy the satisfaction of watching your dude's attack animation complete before you have to queue up the next order for your band of idiots.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Cavelcade posted:

Halsin you motherfucker, all you had to do was stay near me and we would have killed everyone in Moonrise room by room before robbing the merchants, but no, you had to get stuck on some geometry and piss off the goblins, which you killed with an attack before I could stop you, triggering the guards, and the watching eyes, so I had to fight the entire goddamn platoon in dribs and drabs because I couldn't get to it to silence it.

You're lucky they are happy to forgive and forget the fact that all their butchered compatriots lie around us as we barter (so I can rob them efficiently).

That would have been a particularly dumb way to end my Honour Mode run.

Don't you get a pop-up warning you that there will be issues if you bring Halsin (or any non-Tadpoled companion, but he's the only one you can have at that point) to Moonrise?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Way off topic, but what rogue dual wield setups do you guys like? Rocking the knife of the undermountain king and just trying to find a good pairing for it. Thief subclass FYI. Risky ring for sneak attacks every turn. Not usually optimal but three attacks regularly every turn if you wanna stay in close is not bad at all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

OzFactor posted:

I locked myself out of that help because I made some dialogue choices which pissed off a guy who I could bribe. These are bad people, I shouldn't cut deals with them!

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Then die with your morals

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

5 scrolls of Fireball resolve any moral quandries.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Morrow posted:

Don't you get a pop-up warning you that there will be issues if you bring Halsin (or any non-Tadpoled companion, but he's the only one you can have at that point) to Moonrise?

Yes. I brought Halsin to get another Elf potion. You’ve got to keep them near you at all times and might have a persuasion check. Even then I didn’t go that deep, got the juice and got out of there.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Vargatron posted:

5 scrolls of Fireball resolve any moral quandries.

If I'm not a moral person, why would the universe bestow all these Fireball scrolls unto me?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

Way off topic, but what rogue dual wield setups do you guys like? Rocking the knife of the undermountain king and just trying to find a good pairing for it. Thief subclass FYI. Risky ring for sneak attacks every turn. Not usually optimal but three attacks regularly every turn if you wanna stay in close is not bad at all.

I like the weapons with "when you hit with advantage then ____" on Risky Ringers.
Slicing Shortsword, Justiciar's Scimitar and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
RTWP was always a bad idea.

If for no other reason then it encourages the developers to throw in a mountain of trash mobs to give you something to look at. Takes 5 hours of content and makes it 10 or 12 without adding anything interesting.

The last time we brought it up here it made me pull the trigger and uninstall both PoE games because I’m never going to play 1 again (beaten it multiple times) and will never finish 2. It might be time to give up on Wrath of the Righteous even though I never finished all the DLC, too.

I guess I should take it as a sign I don’t like a game when I install mods that let me trivialize giant segments of it so I can get them over with.