Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Sundae posted:

Happy new year.

Positives of working Jan 2nd: Nobody is around yet, so it's a semi-vacation day anyway
Negatives of working Jan 2nd: Learning all the absolute horseshit that people managed to pull off during the week nobody was even supposed to be here. I'm putting out fires from when nobody was here.

These aren't from people who had to be on-site like the cleaning crew or engineering projects team, either. These are people who should have been off having a vacation and instead decided that no, they'd rather modify business processes and make new procedures effective without talking to anyone who might know why all of their ideas were terrible and shouldn't be proceduralized. gently caress's sake, take a vacation.

In conclusion:

When I was in accounting there was a guy there who effectively had slightly negative productivity when you added up all the person-hours needed to check and correct his stuff.

This was apparently fine with the admin, so whatever.

But then he suddenly needed extra money for ??? reasons, so he began working overtime to fix a lot of long-standing issues related to filing, compliance, etc.

Unfortunately instead of dealing with those issues, he instead spent his overtime doing more of his normal work. Note that this wasn't laziness - he actually was getting through more stuff in roughly appropriate proportion to the hours worked. Problem was, as noted, this didn't actually help. In the end it almost caused serious externally-visible consequences for the department as he kept generating mistakes and bullshit faster than everyone else could keep up.

It would presumably have come to some sort of dramatic conclusion, but it turned out that he needed the extra money to pay gambling debts because he was addicted so he left for several months to get treatment or something and I moved on in the meantime.

But yeah, beware the times that allow people to work more than others, because the ones who feel the need are often the ones who shouldn't be allowed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

dpkg chopra posted:

My wife’s company started the year by laying off 20 people (company has like 300 total).

Happy New Year

My fiancée works there too! And my 2023 was a professional mess because my company had layoffs in January last year. Quite a fun tradition.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
That was my 2019. We got an email to extend the winter break until the Monday the 7th, when we were supposed to come back on Wednesday the 2nd. Sweet! Love an extra break.

And then when we came in on Monday, 20% of the company (out of 60 people) were gone, including the new CEO that showed up in October that was supposed to launch us towards an exit in the next 18-24 months. Okay, panic time, but the investors are open to trying to figure out a pivot. Worked our asses off to refocus the product.

The next Tuesday, most of the company was laid off (including me), and ghost crew left just to navigate a sale of assets.

At least hiring budgets are open again now… good luck with the job search. New you new job!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nybble posted:

That was my 2019. We got an email to extend the winter break until the Monday the 7th, when we were supposed to come back on Wednesday the 2nd. Sweet! Love an extra break.

Lol, this is the biggest red flag in the world.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Today's SMBC has inspired me to give even less shits.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I haven’t been able to work all morning since apparently my office 365 license expired and no one knew this was imminent and could at least give me a heads up?? I almost lost my poo poo and thought I was fired.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We just went away from O365 and into google workspaces. I have an excel sheet I’m trying to open in workspaces and it just refuses to cooperate. If I want to to anything I have to find someone with a current license and get them to make changes

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Excel is the standard for a reason, it simply shits all over any other worksheet type app. The only problem with excel are the people who use it.

Wife's company was taken over last year and the job titles didn't get aligned correctly, and her request that her job title be changed (increased) to the correct one for her role has just been denied, despite no change in salary. Never mind that she is handling 4 crucial projects that they have no way of delivering on time if she leaves.

This is the cherry on the top of a completely botched take over where mid level people are being repeatedly thrown under the bus for management failings. Only thing that stopped her resigning on the spot is that resigning next week means that her signing bonus payback period times out.

The company is so top heavy it is insane, there are 5 levels producing actual outputs that make the company money, and 8 levels of management above that seem to do absolutely nothing before you get to the C suite.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sounds like a company that's near the end stage of the MacLeod cycle.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

As of this year, my company went from tiered PTO accrual based on years of service to 25 days PTO for all employees unless they had more than that already. That’s a boost from the 18 I had previously, so that was a happy surprise from the benefits department.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I had to read that three times to understand the meaning. Not because it was written poorly, but because it was a positive change, and my brain just couldn’t understand it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hah yeah that’s pretty great.

I get one more day after 5 years loyal service! (Starting at 15)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cacafuego posted:

As of this year, my company went from tiered PTO accrual based on years of service to 25 days PTO for all employees unless they had more than that already. That’s a boost from the 18 I had previously, so that was a happy surprise from the benefits department.

(To receive this new benefit, please sign this agreement indicating you agree to forfeit any unused PTO at separation)

~layoffs~

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

someone is sharing today's xkcd comic in a meeting and I feel I am owed special financial compensation for this time

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am struggling with my new job. I think I’m actually doing well (according to my boss at least) but it’s a combo of frustration with lack of accountability / ownership, disinterest in the day to day work, and no longer being viewed as an expert in anything by nature of the role being primarily BD. Plus probably the fact this is a new org and the first time I’ve had a single manager since joining consulting. The culture shock is way higher than I expected.

The title and pay make this the right choice no question but man I haven’t been this unhappy with work in a while. Coming back from the holidays was rough.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Sounds like you want to Get Things Done (TM) but don't work at that kind of place.

Gotta let it go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hotel Kpro posted:

We just went away from O365 and into google workspaces. I have an excel sheet I’m trying to open in workspaces and it just refuses to cooperate. If I want to to anything I have to find someone with a current license and get them to make changes
My new place is a pure Google house. It's terrible. We get passed Office documents all the time and have to throw them into Drive before we can open them and then deal with the bullshit of Gsuite not liking right click menus but still using them.

Jordan7hm posted:

I am struggling with my new job. I think I’m actually doing well (according to my boss at least) but it’s a combo of frustration with lack of accountability / ownership, disinterest in the day to day work, and no longer being viewed as an expert in anything by nature of the role being primarily BD. Plus probably the fact this is a new org and the first time I’ve had a single manager since joining consulting. The culture shock is way higher than I expected.

The title and pay make this the right choice no question but man I haven’t been this unhappy with work in a while. Coming back from the holidays was rough.
This is pretty much how I'm feeling, except I'm now being viewed as the expert in everything because everyone else here seems to be a complete newbie, communication is poo poo, and nobody really knows what we've agreed to do for any given client. While I've got a single manager on paper the company owner likes to micromanage if we're a few seconds slow replying to someone else on Slack :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For all the bitching I have done about Microsoft products over the years I feel like it would be even more stressful to adapt to gsuite or open office or whatever. The devil you know, etc!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The MS office suite is trash but also better than kludging together “best of breed” competitor products. It’s like SAP vs point solutions. Yeah you can pick a couple good point solutions and integrate them into the ERP but once you have more than that it sucks worse than just using SAP.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Arquinsiel posted:

My new place is a pure Google house. It's terrible. We get passed Office documents all the time and have to throw them into Drive before we can open them and then deal with the bullshit of Gsuite not liking right click menus but still using them.

I actually got something to open today in Sheets. When I went to make changes, it said I had lost access and needed to reopen with no changes, fml

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Hotel Kpro posted:

I actually got something to open today in Sheets. When I went to make changes, it said I had lost access and needed to reopen with no changes, fml

I hate that I cannot do ctrl/command-D in Sheets and copy the cell above it, and instead bookmarking the page :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
I can't imagine using Teams over Zoom for any length of time. Then every once in awhile I interact with people via Chime...

docbeard posted:

someone is sharing today's xkcd comic in a meeting and I feel I am owed special financial compensation for this time

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't imagine using Teams over Zoom for any length of time. Then every once in awhile I interact with people via Chime...

the range danger officer is just called a lateral hire from sales in the private sector

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

the post holiday slump is real

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Email from someone in building admin, paraphrased: "Please note: Meeting rooms are shared spaces and are not a place for strongly-spiced or aromatic foods. Please refrain from eating highly aromatic foods in meeting or break rooms and keep them in the cafeteria instead."

You assholes should stop scheduling lunch meetings then. I don't think I've had two days in a row without lunch meetings in FIVE YEARS, so I'm just gonna keep bringing natto and fish until you knock it the gently caress off. Gonna start escalating into garlic and onion next, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't do heavy duty spreadsheet stuff. I won't do a LOOKUP() every month. But gSheets works as well as Excel for everyone I work with. That does discount the scientists with weird Excel plugins to do molecule stuff, but other than them most of us just don't need Excel anymore. We went so far as to make not having Office the standard and your cost center gets charged for the license if you do demonstrate a business need. We went full-on Bill Gates' Netscape Nightmare on 130,000 seats globally. It's fine, gSHeets has been a 100% suitable replacement for 80% of all Excel users for a decade.

My advice for anyone having issues in gSheets, is do an import and convert and go native with the file.

e.

Sundae posted:

Email from someone in building admin, paraphrased: "Please note: Meeting rooms are shared spaces and are not a place for strongly-spiced or aromatic foods. Please refrain from eating highly aromatic foods in meeting or break rooms and keep them in the cafeteria instead."

You assholes should stop scheduling lunch meetings then. I don't think I've had two days in a row without lunch meetings in FIVE YEARS, so I'm just gonna keep bringing natto and fish until you knock it the gently caress off. Gonna start escalating into garlic and onion next, too.

Go hard on the Indian catering. You should be doing that already, but next time you do an order, talk to the restaurant about particularly aromatic or fragrant dishes. In an ideal world, this will encourage people to get done with the meetings faster so they can get to the food.

e2. Or go hardcore Szechuan. The co-worker I go to for recommendations in that area is on vacation in actual Northern China right now, but we can hook you up when he gets back.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 5, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I don't do heavy duty spreadsheet stuff. I won't do a LOOKUP() every month. But gSheets works as well as Excel for everyone I work with. That does discount the scientists with weird Excel plugins to do molecule stuff, but other than them most of us just don't need Excel anymore. We went so far as to make not having Office the standard and your cost center gets charged for the license if you do demonstrate a business need. We went full-on Bill Gates' Netscape Nightmare on 130,000 seats globally. It's fine, gSHeets has been a 100% suitable replacement for 80% of all Excel users for a decade.

My advice for anyone having issues in gSheets, is do an import and convert and go native with the file.

e.

Go hard on the Indian catering. You should be doing that already, but next time you do an order, talk to the restaurant about particularly aromatic or fragrant dishes. In an ideal world, this will encourage people to get done with the meetings faster so they can get to the food.

I've done that. The issue for me to that I'm a keyboard excel user, none of my shortcuts work. Hello, sometimes Google yells at me for copying and pasting that I need to install an extension for.

You're right, it works well enough. But for anyone who works in it a lot, it's a tall transition. It also starts to break down with larger amounts of data.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

none of my shortcuts work

If you were in one of the groups I support, I'd help make sure you got your Office exception approved. Keyboard shortcuts for life.

But if you get the chance, let me know if this works right:

https://www.liveflow.io/product-guides/how-to-enable-excel-shortcuts-in-google-sheets

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mllaneza posted:

If you were in one of the groups I support, I'd help make sure you got your Office exception approved. Keyboard shortcuts for life.

But if you get the chance, let me know if this works right:

https://www.liveflow.io/product-guides/how-to-enable-excel-shortcuts-in-google-sheets

Oh snap I will check this out! Thanks!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

e2. Or go hardcore Szechuan. The co-worker I go to for recommendations in that area is on vacation in actual Northern China right now, but we can hook you up when he gets back.

We're not allowed to cater lunch meetings anymore unless it's a director-level or higher thing, or if it's a full department event. Standard project lunch meetings, working meetings, etc etc, are all no-catering-allowed. Those make up like 90% of my lunch meetings, unfortunately. Stinky lunches I bring are specifically my own to punish people taking my lunch time. :D

Sundae fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 5, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

We're not allowed to cater lunch meetings anymore unless it's a director-level or higher thing, or if it's a full department event. Standard project lunch meetings, working meetings, etc etc, are all no-catering-allowed. Those make up like 90% of my lunch meetings, unfortunately. Stinky lunches I bring are specifically my own to punish people taking my lunch time. :D

Shots fired. Retaliate at will.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
call me a wolverine the way I'm about to tear into this Chinese invasion of the conference room

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Bring your microwave to the meeting.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HiroProtagonist posted:

call me a wolverine the way I'm about to tear into this Chinese invasion of the conference room

Snack snack, bun.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I don’t care if I have to use Excel or Sheets, I just want one of them to work. Our help desk couldn’t fix it, so up it goes to whoever is next

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hotel Kpro posted:

Something that drives me nuts is the various google accounts I have for personal stuff. I have files stored on the "respectable" email address that I use for work, family, etc, and the spreadsheet that we used to track wedding thank you cards is where we also have all our addresses stored for throwing into maps when travelling around for Christmas. The account I use for my tablet is a different one that matches the username here and everywhere else, because I am that kind of old nerd. If I want to gain access to the file on my tablet I have to login to gmail via chrome, open drive, then get told I don't have permissions to access it on that account, request permissions from myself, go back to chrome, open the link in the email to grand permissions, have that redirect to the standalone app, and be told I don't have permissions all over again. It's not a problem at all on a desktop, and it's a pretty niche situation to find yourself in, but there's a reason I don't have the respectable email account logged in all the time on every device I own and it's basically unresolvable without doing that. A minor, but completely infuriating, problem.

mllaneza posted:

I want you to try paste without formatting. To do this you will need to: right click, and select the "paste without formatting" option. You will then need to sit through the popup telling you that sheets doesn't do that, and to paste by using Ctrl+V. This then sets the hidden flag so that the next time you hit Ctrl+V it pastes without the formatting from the source.

If you are not pissed off at the end of this process then there's something wrong with you and you should try get the fire of youth back by buying a fast car or something.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Arquinsiel posted:

I want you to try paste without formatting. To do this you will need to: right click, and select the "paste without formatting" option. You will then need to sit through the popup telling you that sheets doesn't do that, and to paste by using Ctrl+V. This then sets the hidden flag so that the next time you hit Ctrl+V it pastes without the formatting from the source.

If you are not pissed off at the end of this process then there's something wrong with you and you should try get the fire of youth back by buying a fast car or something.

I'm Excel4Lyf so I have zero intention of using Sheets, but can't you hit F2 (or double-click, if you're a savage) to enter the destination cell and then just paste? That will ignore source formatting no matter what.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trabant posted:

I'm Excel4Lyf so I have zero intention of using Sheets, but can't you hit F2 (or double-click, if you're a savage) to enter the destination cell and then just paste? That will ignore source formatting no matter what.
Yes, but it only works for single cells, so when you're pasting a pile of stuff like suspicious URLs that you absolutely do not want to be clickable but which you do need to process in some fashion it's a pain in the hole.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ahh :negative: Yes, that would indeed suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

You can paste without formatting with Control + Shift + V with Chrome or the Docs offline extension.