Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm old enough to remember drinking out of the hose. SHARE IF YOU REMEMBER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Bring a bucket and a mop for this cold rear end water

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

thiccabod posted:

I grew up in the town where Stanley used to be headquartered and manufactured so it's weird seeing them be this huge viral sensation. Can't speak to their tumblers but I've got a thermos that's well over a decade old and still keeps drinks hot/cold for far longer than I've ever needed. One of these guys:

Looked on ebay and those go for like 25 bucks. These people don't even known how to do collecting right

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

thiccabod posted:

I grew up in the town where Stanley used to be headquartered and manufactured so it's weird seeing them be this huge viral sensation. Can't speak to their tumblers but I've got a thermos that's well over a decade old and still keeps drinks hot/cold for far longer than I've ever needed. One of these guys:

Yeah my family had one of these that we brought on camping trips almost four years ago. Pretty sure they still have it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My parents had one that was made in the 80s

It's almost like insulated drinkware has been a thing for centuries

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

My parents had one that was made in the 80s

It's almost like insulated drinkware has been a thing for centuries

But was it a Starbucks limited edition? Check mate

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what if they also had nfts linked to them?

that way your retirement fund would have tonnage f CO2 cost as it appreciated it went to zero.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

cant get much more classical than that

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PhazonLink posted:

what if they also had nfts linked to them?

that way your retirement fund would have tonnage f CO2 cost as it appreciated it went to zero.

Do you smell burnt toast?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

repiv posted:

can't these people collect something normal like pokemon cards

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7252740341965557038

Some people still think that the made-in-Thailand Moomin mugs they bought for 24,95€ each are actually worth something on the "collectors' market" because traders pay the tabloids to run "IS YOUR MOOMIN MUG WORTH 3 500 000 000€?!?!?" adverticles every second month, stating prices that you have to pay if you want to buy one from a trader. It's weird.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Those Stanley tumblers are pretty legit. Way better than the yetis. My wife just got one since her job requires water bottles to be non spill. Can confirm they keep ice for days just being topped up with cold water. I've been running back and forth filling it for her for the last few days on only a couple ice fill ups. They're easy to clean and heavy enough to give someone a concussion with pretty easily.

I drink water from the tap. LIFE HACK.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Jan 5, 2024

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

thiccabod posted:

and still keeps drinks hot/cold for far longer than I've ever needed.

Why do they call it cup when you of in the cold drink of out hot drink the beverage?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some people still think that the made-in-Thailand Moomin mugs they bought for 24,95€ each are actually worth something on the "collectors' market" because traders pay the tabloids to run "IS YOUR MOOMIN MUG WORTH 3 500 000 000€?!?!?" adverticles every second month, stating prices that you have to pay if you want to buy one from a trader. It's weird.

I drink water from the tap. LIFE HACK.

I don’t buy my Moomin mugs because I think they’re worth something, I buy them because I’m beholden to cute drinking vessels and am aggressively making up for a Moominless childhood.

I hate when they release limited edition ones because you have maybe a min on a Tuesday morning to buy them, and then whoops tradera mysteriously has a ton for triple the price hours later :iiam:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

I don’t buy my Moomin mugs because I think they’re worth something, I buy them because I’m beholden to cute drinking vessels and am aggressively making up for a Moominless childhood.

I hate when they release limited edition ones because you have maybe a min on a Tuesday morning to buy them, and then whoops tradera mysteriously has a ton for triple the price hours later :iiam:

I like it when they do a massive re-run of a previously limited mug and people poo poo their pants.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Goons discovering women!!!! also collect poo poo like nerds and being judgy is precious

There's like an entire secondary market just for Starbucks cups much less adding the Stanley poo poo on one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Goone have never poo poo on anybody for collecting Funko pops and stuff, true

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

These mugs don't even turn into a robot, what's the point of them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a secondary market for soiled underwear, and some people collect those.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You mean I’ve been doing laundry like an idiot when I could be getting rich?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember a couple of years ago when they tried that with the mass market Disney VHS tapes. Is YOURS worth $5,000? No, no it is not. I'm happy that collectible garbage has now swerved completely into the secondary scam of 'graded' collectibles so that when I go to the thrift store with my wife I don't have to see people trying to sell Lady and the Tramp on VHS for $150.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Dabir posted:

You get to look at a Moomin when you have your morning coffee.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

I remember a couple of years ago when they tried that with the mass market Disney VHS tapes.

I thought that was the WATA or whatever guys?

e: Also, according to a quick Google, "a couple of years ago" was uhh four weeks ago :negative:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Jan 5, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

These collectors are gross, and I don’t care if someone calls me “judgy” for saying so.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I have many panties.

But not enough.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

To fit into cup holders I guess

They reportedly both don't fit into cupholders and also leak.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Dabir posted:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The thing with VHS tapes of Disney movies is that Disney made them artificially scarce back in the day in order to keep prices high and drive FOMO. They called it the "Disney Vault." They'd sell a particular movie for a few months and then "put it in the vault," withholding further copies for a few years. They'd hype up any time they were taking a movie "out of the vault."

"Cinderella is once again available in stores! But it's going back in the vault in a few months so buy it NOW while you have the chance!"

They can't exactly do that now in the digital age. Given the way Disney marketed that whole thing, it's not entirely surprising that people with a bunch of old Disney VHS tapes would be absolutely convinced they're sitting on a gold mine.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

...! posted:

The thing with VHS tapes of Disney movies is that Disney made them artificially scarce back in the day in order to keep prices high and drive FOMO. They called it the "Disney Vault." They'd sell a particular movie for a few months and then "put it in the vault," withholding further copies for a few years. They'd hype up any time they were taking a movie "out of the vault."

"Cinderella is once again available in stores! But it's going back in the vault in a few months so buy it NOW while you have the chance!"

They can't exactly do that now in the digital age. Given the way Disney marketed that whole thing, it's not entirely surprising that people with a bunch of old Disney VHS tapes would be absolutely convinced they're sitting on a gold mine.

I remember taking a few boxes of books and vhs tapes to Half-Price Books way back in the day - 25 years ago or so? - to help my parents clean up some clutter. We got 80 bucks for the lot and the bulk of that was a $75 offer for some Disney tape or other. Lady and the Tramp, maybe?

Anyway it baffled me until the whole Disney Vault thing was explained to me.

Of course there are some Disney movies that went in the waaaay back of the Vault and will never see the light of day again, digital age or not. Song of the South, most notably.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I remember taking a few boxes of books and vhs tapes to Half-Price Books way back in the day - 25 years ago or so? - to help my parents clean up some clutter. We got 80 bucks for the lot and the bulk of that was a $75 offer for some Disney tape or other. Lady and the Tramp, maybe?

Anyway it baffled me until the whole Disney Vault thing was explained to me.

This also caused a fun little thing to happen every now and then at the video rental place I worked at in the 90s. Since you couldn't just go out and buy a copy of a Disney movie, people would come up with a brilliant, diabolical scheme which surely no one had ever thought of before:

:j: "Hi, I rented The Little Mermaid here yesterday but I'm afraid I've lost the tape."
:geno: "Uh oh."
:j: "Terribly sorry, I'll pay for it of course, it's like 20 bucks, right?"
:geno: "Nope, Disney tapes are more. That'll be $400 please."
:byodame: "WHAT"
:geno: "It's in the agreement you signed when you got your membership card."
:j: "You know what, I think I'll... go look for it some more."
:geno: "Good plan."

Needless to say, the tape would always miraculously be found.

The funny part is, we didn't give a poo poo if anyone copied the tapes they rented. We even had good quality recording decks available for rent, and if they asked we'd show them exactly how to get the best quality. It was analog so there was generational loss, but if you used good equipment and quality blank tapes, it could be hard to tell. The only way tape copiers could piss us off was if they swapped the tape reels, so that they kept the original magnetic tape and gave us back the copy, hidden inside the original tape shell with the original label. (If you're old enough to remember the little tamper-evident seal on the side of rental VHS tapes, that's why those were there, to make that tactic visible to the clerk checking the returned tapes back in.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stoatbringer posted:

You mean I’ve been doing laundry like an idiot when I could be getting rich?

well, there is some specificity to the…terroir of the best sellers

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

thiccabod posted:

Same, my current one has been going strong for probably 15 years now. It's dented, scraped, and layered with stickers and needs a good coffee oil stripping but it's great.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Laserjet 4P posted:

Why do they call it cup when you of in the cold drink of out hot drink the beverage?

Weatherman posted:

Do you smell burnt toast?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

thiccabod posted:

those were a status symbol on job sites like 35 years ago, too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'd like to see the mouse Sherlock Holmes film again because it's the second-best American animated Sherlock Holmes cartoon. But I guess I'll just watch it for free instead of buying a 40 000 000 simoleon video tape cassette.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'd like to see the mouse Sherlock Holmes film again because it's the second-best American animated Sherlock Holmes cartoon. But I guess I'll just watch it for free instead of buying a 40 000 000 simoleon video tape cassette.

The Great Mouse Detective is a banger though.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I saw copies of song of the south at a grocery store in rural Georgia a year or two ago, you can absolutely still get that movie if you know the right racists

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Stalizard posted:

I saw copies of song of the south at a grocery store in rural Georgia a year or two ago, you can absolutely still get that movie if you know the right racists

On what format? Did it ever get a home release after the VHS era?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

wash bucket posted:

On what format? Did it ever get a home release after the VHS era?

There are a lot of DVD bootlegs out there.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/PostLeftWatch/status/1743042397918187933?s=20

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Severely out of the loop re Greenwald. He seemed like a pretty okay guy when the Snowden stuff happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Nobody Interesting posted:

Severely out of the loop re Greenwald. He seemed like a pretty okay guy when the Snowden stuff happened

He got anti-anti-Trump brain worms and lost his mind.