Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Only beer is sours.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
sours are gross. If you like the taste so much, just dump some vinegar into regular beer and it's the same thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

https://archive.ph/W6ryI

more fake numbers, nobody does the job survey anymore

John Authers is a senior editor for markets and Bloomberg Opinion columnist. A former chief markets commentator at the Financial Times, he is author of “The Fearful Rise of Markets.”

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cat botherer posted:

sours are gross. If you like the taste so much, just dump some vinegar into regular beer and it's the same thing.

sours are good when they're fruity and flavorful but the ones that taste like someone juiced five lemons into a glass of wheat beer are nasty

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

"don't drink alcohol" x "reasonably avoid refined carbs" x "don't eat after sunset" would go a looooooong way towards getting every single American into very reasonable health. Throw in "walk a couple miles a day" and you're 95% of the way there, and none of these are particularly difficult or onerous to achieve.

It is onerous, because avoiding refined carbs means avoiding fast food and even entire food groups like pizza. I did some research (my own research :smug:) recently because my A1C came in a little hot and diet geared towards avoiding blood sugar spikes with carb restrictions means eating no more than 55g of carbs in a meal. Even the healthier options at Taco Bell for example exceed that, for just one burrito. Although avoiding blood sugar spikes is different than just restricting carbs for someone who's insulin system still works at specification, because then you have to factor in that beans are cool and good and can prevent spikes coming from rice if you eat them together, the combinations of food and synergy between them start mattering a lot. Finally, stacking foods still won't save you from fries, which are the blood sugar devil and will gently caress you up no matter what tricks you try.

Beyond that, it is definitely good advice.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Millionaire Next Door is probably the one about encouraging thriftiness. I believe it has anecdotes how many millionaires are retired teachers who were good about contributing to their pension plans.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad is more halfass investment advice based on setting up closely held corporations and using "zero down" loans (which by the way, banks haven't done on a general basis without requiring crippling interest rates for decades) to build up a real estate portfolio. Also, it encourages you trying to form friendships at country clubs to try to get access to insider information for stock trading.

My wife and I use The Millionaire Next Door for some general things that help us. The main thing that we've found works for us is we do the thing that automatically hides money from us in an account that periodically buys index funds. On paper we make decent money but we still feel like we're poor students and live accordingly.

It's not a magic bullet that applies for all, but hiding money from ourselves has really worked for us.

edit:

skooma512 posted:

It is onerous, because avoiding refined carbs means avoiding fast food and even entire food groups like pizza. I did some research (my own research :smug:) recently because my A1C came in a little hot and diet geared towards avoiding blood sugar spikes with carb restrictions means eating no more than 55g of carbs in a meal. Even the healthier options at Taco Bell for example exceed that, for just one burrito. Although avoiding blood sugar spikes is different than just restricting carbs for someone who's insulin system still works at specification, because then you have to factor in that beans are cool and good and can prevent spikes coming from rice if you eat them together, the combinations of food and synergy between them start mattering a lot. Finally, stacking foods still won't save you from fries, which are the blood sugar devil and will gently caress you up no matter what tricks you try.

Beyond that, it is definitely good advice.

don't eat fast food. you can make rice and beans at home and buy some good tortillas from the mexican market. oven bake some chicken, shred that poo poo up and you're good.

Scott Forstall has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Jan 5, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

dk2m posted:

can you imagine any other academic field where the people that ostensibly earn phds and then go on to work in economic departments in government literally don’t know the historical record of their own area of expertise?

it’s unbelievable to me that I had to go learn it on my own to supplement my own econ degree, business schools are a complete joke. none of my professors had even read the works of Ricardo or Smith, forget any of the later thinkers.

By God do I love economists.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

Dems are just unironically being Glenn McCoy now

this is one of my favorites cartoons

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

dk2m posted:

https://twitter.com/thejb_stan/status/1451230306254692353?s=46

can you imagine any other academic field where the people that ostensibly earn phds and then go on to work in economic departments in government literally don’t know the historical record of their own area of expertise?

it’s unbelievable to me that I had to go learn it on my own to supplement my own econ degree, business schools are a complete joke. none of my professors had even read the works of Ricardo or Smith, forget any of the later thinkers.

the cult of the stupid little toy graphs that apparently can model Reality is so ingrained in the field that it’s not surprising that neoliberalism is now lurching under its own weight and contradictions. we’re reaching lysenko levels of delusions because of it

It really is incredible that orthodox economists are less read up on their field of study than MDs are.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Scott Forstall posted:

My wife and I use The Millionaire Next Door for some general things that help us. The main thing that we've found works for us is we do the thing that automatically hides money from us in an account that periodically buys index funds. On paper we make decent money but we still feel like we're poor students and live accordingly.

It's not a magic bullet that applies for all, but hiding money from ourselves has really worked for us.

edit:

don't eat fast food. you can make rice and beans at home and buy some good tortillas from the mexican market. oven bake some chicken, shred that poo poo up and you're good.
this is just trite advice, but so good. it's all so cheap, and so, so, so much better than anything at a restaurant

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

""don't eat after sunset" would go a looooooong way towards getting every single American into very reasonable health

???? ps this verges on Islamophobia and antisemitism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is just trite advice, but so good. it's all so cheap, and so, so, so much better than anything at a restaurant

sorry about the restaurants you've been

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

mawarannahr posted:

sorry about the restaurants you've been

-Hoot

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

lol it's more just that you shouldn't be stuffing your gullet from the moment you wake up to the minute you fall asleep

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i make stuff that is as good/better than restaurants but i'm a good cook

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i make stuff that is as good/better than restaurants but i'm a good cook

instant pot stew/curry/chili is completely idiot proof and also requires so little effort that even a burned-out drunk can manage to make a batch every 4-5 days and freeze portions.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Griz posted:

instant pot stew/curry/chili is completely idiot proof and also requires so little effort that even a burned-out drunk can manage to make a batch every 4-5 days and freeze portions.

i was thinking about that automated food cooker juciero type device the other day and essentially how it just mixed everything in to a pot and made a delicious carb filled slop

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

If I understand the nutritional science right:

Your body doesn't properly digest food when you're asleep so you're not getting the full nutritional value of meals and the stuff that burns the fastest is all you really absorb which is generally just gonna be the carbs

You also supposedly sleep better and wake easier if you don't eat at least six hours before bed

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SKULL.GIF posted:

"don't drink alcohol" x "reasonably avoid refined carbs" x "don't eat after sunset" would go a looooooong way towards getting every single American into very reasonable health. Throw in "walk a couple miles a day" and you're 95% of the way there, and none of these are particularly difficult or onerous to achieve.

sun sets at like 3pm over here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mycomancy posted:

It really is incredible that orthodox economists are less read up on their field of study than MDs are.

doctors and other wizards are well known for their study of tomes

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jel Shaker posted:

i was thinking about that automated food cooker juciero type device the other day and essentially how it just mixed everything in to a pot and made a delicious carb filled slop

Please don't attack my bread machine like this!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Your body doesn't properly digest food when you're asleep so you're not getting the full nutritional value of meals and the stuff that burns the fastest is all you really absorb which is generally just gonna be the carbs

You also supposedly sleep better and wake easier if you don't eat at least six hours before bed

the Spanish or really any Mediterranean - famously poor sleepers (ate too late)

Protestant food ethic smh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

the Spanish - famously poor sleepers (ate too late)

well that's why they take a nap in the middle of the day and don't eat supper until midnight, they're all hosed up

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1743273379203788916

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doctors and other wizards are well known for their study of tomes

My doctor just googles poo poo in front of me. I'm like... could at least excuse yourself to your office and google stuff like other normal doctors presumably do

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol it's more just that you shouldn't be stuffing your gullet from the moment you wake up to the minute you fall asleep

This is the most racist post I've ever read.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

USA Today posted:

Buying a home has become so unaffordable that most prospective homebuyers wouldn’t mind a recession if it meant lower mortgage rates, according to a new survey.

Sixty-four percent of Americans say they are “ready for a recession” if they are better able to afford to buy a home, according to a study conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of Credit Karma, designed exclusively for USA TODAY.

Not surprisingly, 82% of those surveyed believe the country is facing an unprecedented housing affordability crisis. Perhaps that’s why more than 3 in 5 Americans who have never purchased a home (61%) don’t think they’ll ever be able to afford to do so.

“There is no denying how difficult it’s become to purchase a home in America today, especially for first-time buyers,” said Aniva Hinduja, general manager of home and mortgage at Credit Karma. “When a majority of potential home buyers are wishing for a recession so they can afford a mortgage, you know the situation is dire.”

Among homeowners who bought in the past year, 46% say they are struggling to afford their monthly mortgage payments due to high interest rates. For those who recently purchased a home, 36% used money from savings, 37% used money from another home sale, 16% paid in all cash and 19% used money gifted from family, Seven percent took an adjustable-rate mortgage and 9% did a mortgage rate buy-down, according to the study.

Eighty-four percent of recent homebuyers (those who purchased in the past year) say they made sacrifices in order to purchase their home, with 3% saying they paid more than they budgeted.
Other sacrifices include:
  • Limited/stopped spending on non-necessities so they had more to spend on their home – 25%
  • Took on a side hustle to make extra money - 22%
  • Gave up certain desired home features (e.g., fenced-in yard, open floor plan, finished basement) – 20%
  • Bought a smaller home than they wanted – 23%

About 1 in 5 say they put life events on hold (22%) or bought outside their ideal home location (19%) in order to purchase their most recent home. Roughly 21% of recent homebuyers say they moved in with family/friends to build up savings in order to purchase their most recent home.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

[url=https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/06/16/recession-lower-mortgage-rates-prospective-homebuyers-say-yes/70322476007/]

Its funny that the phrase "working two jobs" has gone the way of "global warming" and turned into "side hustle"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gently caress off krug

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It was definitely a stretch but what he was referencing is that Muslims are only allowed to eat between sunset and sunrise during Ramadan, and that Yom Kippur requires Jews to do essentially the same thing for one day instead of a whole month

Still a stretch bc of course you were suggesting a healthy practice rather than an enforceable law or something

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i can't loving wait until trump is reelected with like 350+ EVs because the real economy is absolute dogshit and economists should all be sent to the hague

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

fyi i'm not saying trump is good or will in fact make anything better, although immediate party shift vibes will probably somehow bring back zirp 2: electric boogaloo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
zirp 2 is going to be so good for my investment portfolio of ai tech and costco stocks, so i will vote for whoever makes it happen

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

sun sets at like 3pm over here

sorry, you don't get to eat for 3/4ths of the day. I don't make the rules

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

economists should all be sent to the hague

yes and also 95% of d&d

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

"But that's not what I want to believe!"

"Next you'll tell me that in addition to eating my 1000 calorie snack, attempting to sleep in front of a television keeps me up! I know for a fact that if I put on a movie or two, I'll fall asleep in 3-4 hours, smart guy!"

Griz
May 21, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

there's a bunch of those now and they're all like $300+ for the thing and $10+ per meal

$3 of chicken thigh and $5 of misc canned stuff in the instapot makes half a week's worth of thai pineapple curry

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Xaris posted:

zirp 2 is going to be so good for my investment portfolio of ai tech and costco stocks, so i will vote for whoever makes it happen

oh this reminds me I should probably get some nvidia stock

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i own some chicken stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Did the Krugmeister want to mention that consumer debt is also at a all time high, or how much of the current levels growth and lower levels of inflation have come from Permian fields? I guess not.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Jan 5, 2024