Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Holybat posted:

what the gently caress jobs do you all have that this isn't that much around here you're definitely going to find people willing to go to exotic places and kill the locals if they get this annually

I guess poo poo holes like Utah are what's keeping the recruiting numbers from completely tanking lol lmao I love it here
It's not so much money once you factor in the monthly payments on your Charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

please stop engaging in Tropes against the most moral army in the world

:blessed:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Base military pay is really low but while I was on the reserves everyone loving love going deployed. BAH (Housing allowance) is a massive incentive for people to pay a mortgage. You have 0 costs when you are mobilized or deployed. You just had to set up a power of attorney so your wife doesnt empty your bank account and run off with her hubby.

cat botherer posted:

It's not so much money once you factor in the monthly payments on your Charger.

Privates now days dont have to worry about that

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You just had to set up a power of attorney so your wife doesnt empty your bank account and run off with her hubby.

Do countries with civil law have this problem, or is it an Anglo phenomenon?

Christ. I know so many guys who had their wives run off with someone she met at the Warehouse.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

unmarried junior enlisted was the most money I ever had until I became a professional email typer, because that pay is on top of free food, shelter and utilities. So the money is almost entirely discretionary. If you have dependents though, good luck making ends meet.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Best Friends posted:

unmarried junior enlisted was the most money I ever had until I became a computer toucher, because that pay is on top of free food, shelter and utilities. So the money is almost entirely discretionary. If you have dependents though, good luck making ends meet.

It's still poo poo pay compared to the CW militaries.

Since all militaries are equal insofar as providing room, board, laundry etc. why does America pay enlisted soldiers jack poo poo compared to Australia or NZ?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Since all militaries are equal insofar as providing room, board, laundry etc. why does America pay enlisted soldiers jack poo poo compared to Australia or NZ?

it's because the alternative arrangement in America is prison

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

why does America pay enlisted soldiers jack poo poo compared to Australia or NZ?

because they want you to know that you are inherently inferior and without prestige or importance. also there is the view that any money given to an enlisted person will be "wasted" or will be used to get in trouble. keep them poor and confined to their barracks, but in such a way that is happens seemingly naturally and without explicit policy

an enlisted man with money in his pocket is only ever going to be a problem

bedpan has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Jan 5, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Holybat posted:

what the gently caress jobs do you all have that this isn't that much around here you're definitely going to find people willing to go to exotic places and kill the locals if they get this annually

I guess poo poo holes like Utah are what's keeping the recruiting numbers from completely tanking lol lmao I love it here

I mean it's enough to get by on just fine. If you have no dependents, you're suffering through whatever bullshit is involved in barracks life, but your pay is almost all discretionary, so I saw a guy do a 3 year tour, make E-4, and leave with the GI Bill and about $75k in cash savings at age 21. And sometimes you'll see people join who basically seem broke 100% of the time, but it's because they are sending 80%+ of their taxable income directly back to civilian parents or extended family to help with finances, health expenses, naturalization fees, etc.

If you have one dependent, even if they don't work, can do just fine. It's when people have kids plural, plus maybe a stay at home spouse, plus are making military pay that it gets pretty tight considering the amount of bullshit that the military can spring on someone with little or no warning, and with little or no reason.

On pure money alone, it's not the worst option, but the military can also screw people over in numerous and profound ways.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

quote I’ll never forget, from a drunk private in the back of a cab we were sharing

“your marines are crazy man, cause you guys actually want this. us army guys, we’re mostly doing this for the money. (sadly, eyes going downcast). and the money’s not even good.”

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You increasingly don't even get the free room and board in the American military lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

one of the ways to escape confinement to the base is to get married. you get more money and better quarters too. it ends up being a perverse incentive

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we keep 'em food insecure so they'll fight harder for the scraps.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

why does America pay enlisted soldiers jack poo poo compared to Australia or NZ?

Because it's not competing with NZ or Australia, and because Australia in general has much, much higher minimum wage than the US? Still pays better than Canadian enlisted pay. Or Canadian officer pay. And I haven't looked it up, but I have to assume it pays a lot better than if someone goes and joins the Mexican army.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Crazycryodude posted:

You increasingly don't even get the free room and board in the American military lmao

I keep ringing the alarm bells but pretty much every book on the subject suggests neoliberalism will implode the militaries of western states, which is very funny if you think about it.

e: Recruiting the scum of the earth because it's marginally better than jail or starvation worked in the 18th century because you could beat people into being disciplined enough to stand in ranks and advance under fire. It does not work for operating complex machinery or... well pretty much anything other than close order drill.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Jan 5, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

does "they pay for your food" count if there are no open dining facilities at your post that you can actually reach

Frosted Flake posted:

I keep ringing the alarm bells but pretty much every book on the subject suggests neoliberalism will implode the militaries of western states, which is very funny if you think about it.

future tense doing a lot of lifting there

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/08/08/fort-cavazos-soldiers-have-been-without-proper-access-food-months.html

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BAH is such a pay bump for enlisted troops the military specifically has had to enact policy to ferret out and punish sham marriages.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Owlbear Camus posted:

BAH is such a pay bump for enlisted troops the military specifically has had to enact policy to ferret out and punish sham marriages.

Did America not have the tradition of requiring an officer's permission to marry?

It's still traditional to introduce your bride-to-be at a BBQ or something and, by virtue of being older and marrying nice middle class girls they met at university, officers can still usually get a sense if someone is going to burn Joe's life down, even if they can't do anything about it.

"High school sweetheart from Trois-Rivières" should be enough to start filling out the forms for post-divorce compassionate leave.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

does "they pay for your food" count if there are no open dining facilities at your post that you can actually reach

future tense doing a lot of lifting there

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/08/08/fort-cavazos-soldiers-have-been-without-proper-access-food-months.html

quote:

The situation at Fort Cavazos, Texas -- previously known as Fort Hood -- has left some junior enlisted with few options for meals, as top officials on base struggle to juggle logistics while most of its cooks are on deployments, missions or serving field training and other events.

owned scrub. you should have gone in as an officer or been a contractor.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

owned scrub. you should have gone in as an officer or been a contractor.

How frequently do Americans mustang enlisted men?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Just order a pizza

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Did America not have the tradition of requiring an officer's permission to marry?

It's still traditional to introduce your bride-to-be at a BBQ or something and, by virtue of being older and marrying nice middle class girls they met at university, officers can still usually get a sense if someone is going to burn Joe's life down, even if they can't do anything about it.

Absolutely not, this is all just weirdo poo poo.

And the "sham marriages" being sought out are usually things like person not even existing or lying about what state they live in. There's just no way whatsoever for the US miliary to say "you didn't mean it," if two random soldiers get married for the pay and move offbase to a party apartment, each pocketing their portion of BAH.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Frosted Flake posted:

US enlisted tradition is to immediately marry the first person you see out of tech school/ait like one of those tales about the dangers of love potions.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

"High school sweetheart from Trois-Rivières" should be enough to start filling out the forms for post-divorce compassionate leave.

Lmao this is so Old World, no America absolutely does not require you to get permission from the local baron before getting married. In fact it's encouraged that you get married to whoever you can as fast as you can.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The only pre-marriage counseling stuff I've seen is:

1. Telling troops how to sign up for the benefits.
2. Telling bigoted NCOs/officers they aren't allowed to be loving weirdos about certifying benefits entitlement forms just because they are mad about gay marriage, and they'll get fired if they try.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

How frequently do Americans mustang enlisted men?

I can't remember the numbers but I've always been told the competition is very fierce. Also, it implicitly takes away what would have been an excellent enlisted man with high marks in all the metrics that are valued. If you have officer aspirations then get the degree before or hang around long enough to have a shot at a LDO slot.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Jan 5, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
guys your thread has been hijacked and derailed by bad actors

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

US enlisted tradition is to immediately marry the first person you see out of tech school/ait

As a rational actor on the marketplace this is what they should do

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

In the UK your Staff Sergeant still gets Prima Nocta

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Retromancer posted:

In the UK your Staff Sergeant still gets Prima Nocta

Yes, but not with your wife.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Do officers still just marry the hottest girl around the foreign base where they're deployed, or has that time honored tradition been sadly lost like so many :patriot: others?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The base pay on a E-4 is 3k a month before taxes. That may be attractive to some people but I could see why recruiting is down even considering hazard/overseas pay and possibly housing.

It isn’t a great incentive to put yourself in an extremely stressful situation where a lot can go wrong unless the prime motive is patriotism.

In Portland, Panda Express is paying about 20 dollars an hour.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ardennes posted:

The base pay on a E-4 is 3k a month before taxes. That may be attractive to some people but I could see why recruiting is down even considering hazard/overseas pay and possibly housing.

It isn’t a great incentive to put yourself in an extremely stressful situation where a lot can go wrong unless the prime motive is patriotism.

In Portland, Panda Express is paying about 20 dollars an hour.

that's more money than I made working on a lovely helpdesk even after 10 years of annual raises and a promotion

I quit bc it was bullshit and now I can make a dollar less per hour as a new hire at the loving walmart

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

https://johntreed.myshopify.com/blo...in-terms-part-2

quote:

Actually, the military has enough money to fix the vehicles if they were not a government bureaucracy. If company commanders could get a budget and have the vehicles fixed by a local civilian mechanic, they would work just fine and be within budget. But as long as the military is a Situation Normal, All Fouled Up government bureaucracy with Soviet-style central planning that insists on doing everything in-house, they don’t have enough money.

https://johntreed.myshopify.com/blo...alites-and-cost

quote:

Fire power is so 1953

British general Rupert Smith said our wars in the 20th century first half were industrial wars. Fire power was the key. Clearly the US military thinks it still is. The US military are idiots.

After Korea, Smith said we started fighting what he calls “wars amongst the people.” Correct.

He says fire power is not the key in such wars. Correct. He says information is, namely, the identity and location of the enemy. Probably the identity and location of the enemy in Afghanistan is something like 23 men who live in some of the houses in the village and who hide their small arms weapons until they are ready to do a hit-and-run operation and to re-hide them afterward.
This article is from 2017

You managed to find the exact opposite to our own Frosted Flake. These are just the first two articles I looked at.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

Glad to see that the old ‘put your hands behind you biceps and push them out so you look more jacked’ trick that high school athletes use is a 250 year old tradition.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BearsBearsBears posted:

"If company commanders could get a budget and have the vehicles fixed by a local civilian mechanic, they would work just fine and be within budget."

You managed to find the exact opposite to our own Frosted Flake. These are just the first two articles I looked at.

What could possibly go wrong by taking the G-Wagons to the Mercedes dealership instead of the motor pool?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Frosted Flake posted:

some of those guys (not the moustache dudes) look surprisingly modern, when was the photo taken?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pistol_Pete posted:

some of those guys (not the moustache dudes) look surprisingly modern, when was the photo taken?

I can't figure out where the photo credit is in the book, but based on the forage cap and beer bottles I would guess towards the end of the period.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Neoliberalishly:

Those men should be paying going market rates for their on base accomodation which they are required to live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Neoliberalishly:

Those men should be paying going market rates for their on base accomodation which they are required to live in.

i dont see any fentanyl or mold, cant be a barracks