Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

This entire channel is really good

Yeah he explained everything really nicely, which is great since I don’t really know any of the strat or meta stuff that makes football work lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah he explained everything really nicely, which is great since I don’t really know any of the strat or meta stuff that makes football work lol

As someone that never played football beyond backyard games and an intramural flag league in college,I feel like I’ve been able to get a handle on the offensive side pretty easily, but the defensive side escapes me. This channel has helped a lot with that.

I do wish that the broadcast had a different default camera angle other than straight down the line of scrimmage. I bet a lot of this would be at least a little easier to see.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Freaquency posted:

As someone that never played football beyond backyard games and an intramural flag league in college,I feel like I’ve been able to get a handle on the offensive side pretty easily, but the defensive side escapes me. This channel has helped a lot with that.

I do wish that the broadcast had a different default camera angle other than straight down the line of scrimmage. I bet a lot of this would be at least a little easier to see.

It still amazes me that the NFL hasn't realised that making the All-22 game footage available from like Tuesday onwards of games would essentially be free advertising for them. I get the "if you want it pay for it" philosophy but they'd create an entire industry of free advertising on social media.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BlindSite posted:

It still amazes me that the NFL hasn't realised that making the All-22 game footage available from like Tuesday onwards of games would essentially be free advertising for them. I get the "if you want it pay for it" philosophy but they'd create an entire industry of free advertising on social media.

part of what makes bowl season cool is that you start getting a number of games that'll use the skycam (and no audio except crowd noise) and its great.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

part of what makes bowl season cool is that you start getting a number of games that'll use the skycam (and no audio except crowd noise) and its great.

A field mic with no announcers and all 22 is my dream for football broadcasts.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I was watching an old game on Youtube and it reminded me how great Pat Summerall was.

My ideal football watching experience today would be the Prime Vision all-22 angle, with Kevin Harlan doing play by play alone in the booth like he's Vin Scully.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

BlindSite posted:

It's not all 22 but years ago I used to just turn off the center channel on audio and it was pretty much just field and crowd noise. Not sure if it's still like that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just give me the option to listen to my homer radio station without having to sync/DVR/pause until it's all synced up correctly.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Silly Burrito, can I have a frame of reference for your avatar? Because I have been watching it for a while now and I am addicted.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lifespan posted:

Silly Burrito, can I have a frame of reference for your avatar? Because I have been watching it for a while now and I am addicted.

All thanks to Pragmatica on this one. She had a free avatar thread in the Friday Forum, I wanted to replace my Christmas duck, and I just asked for something based on my user name.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BlindSite posted:

AndrewP posted:

I was watching an old game on Youtube and it reminded me how great Pat Summerall was.

My ideal football watching experience today would be the Prime Vision all-22 angle, with Kevin Harlan doing play by play alone in the booth like he's Vin Scully.

the natty drives me insane cause when i lived in england with sky tv, you would get the Red Button for a lot of sports events (tennis and whatever) that would give you options on what game/match/broadcast you wanted to see. that always felt perfect for football (which was on sparingly, I dont think college ball was ever on sky). my dumb vision is letting me get the fuckin game with the local radio calling it. i love gerry with a g sandusky. stan white was great, quadry ismail was probably not the best but he had his moments. its weird as gently caress that rod woodson is on there now, i know he was with us but did the steelers personally piss him off somehow or did 98 rock just offer him enough money and he doesn't care?

anyway, in conclusion

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

according to him, he was so good at breaking down strategy that college football coaches had his videos taken down bc they showed how to defend against their offenses

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

according to him, he was so good at breaking down strategy that college football coaches had his videos taken down bc they showed how to defend against their offenses

Holy poo poo that’s nuts if true

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Holy poo poo that’s nuts if true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoPqrp28No

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Dalvin Cook can at least catch and occasional dump off and pass protect.

This was a couple pages back but just wanted to say that no he cannot pass protect even a little bit. Actively terrible at it.

Catch a dump off sure.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Apparently the NFL is cracking down on posting all-22 footage on YouTube now.

What a stupid yet predictable thing. The NFL hates when people engage with their product in any way that isn’t the most broad surface level poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AndrewP posted:

Apparently the NFL is cracking down on posting all-22 footage on YouTube now.

What a stupid yet predictable thing. The NFL hates when people engage with their product in any way that isn’t the most broad surface level poo poo

they hate that they aren't getting money from it

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Do they still sell a package to get all 22 footage to watch?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

wilderthanmild posted:

Do they still sell a package to get all 22 footage to watch?

NFL+ gives you all-22 as a replay option, yes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1743305649109221400

John Harbaugh hired good coaches because he's not really a coach even, much less a good one

/ravens fans

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

*fan

Mike Macdonald was a home run hire but he was also a long time Ravens coach. The Michigan year was practically a loan to his brother.

The Monken hire was great. Dave Canales was another possibility and he probably would have been fine too. just getting this offense into the modern era in terms of the passing game was probably enough

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Looks like there's a big winter storm heading to the east coast right now. Should have some snow games this weekend.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

trilljester posted:

Looks like there's a big winter storm heading to the east coast right now. Should have some snow games this weekend.
Its going to be freezing rainy all day here in NC on Saturday; I hope the storm system gets to the northeast midday Sunday :getin:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jets - Patriots absolutely should be played in a miserable hellstorm.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kalli posted:

It's what mcmagic would want

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1743305649109221400

John Harbaugh hired good coaches because he's not really a coach even, much less a good one

/ravens fans

AndrewP posted:

*fan

Mike Macdonald was a home run hire but he was also a long time Ravens coach. The Michigan year was practically a loan to his brother.

The Monken hire was great. Dave Canales was another possibility and he probably would have been fine too. just getting this offense into the modern era in terms of the passing game was probably enough

the criticism of him (which I agree with) is that he should have made both coordinator changes before last season. but it's good that he finally has a modern offense and that he's willing to adjust, even if it's a year too late. his biggest flaw as a coach is he can be stubbornly loyal to his staff, a trait he shares with Tomlin, Belichick, and Reid (although since 2019 this hasn't been an issue obviously). interestingly, those four make up the top tier of coaches

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

2-0 final score, who says no?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

fartknocker posted:

mcmagic if the Jets win

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Weirdly no one wants to work with you if you build a reputation for throwing underlings under the bust the second things get rough. Moving on from Roman was a much tougher call than football Twitter would make it appear. When Lamar Jackson was starting Roman's offense was top ten every year in points and success rate. The team led their division and was #1 in the AFC in both 21 and 22 before Jackson went out. It would have been very easy to say if we keep Lamar healthy, our offense is fine. Especially with an improved WR corp. Harbaugh made the right call in moving on and brought in a great replacement in Monken, but improvement was in no way guaranteed.

I think Roman would be an excellent OC hire somewhere like Chicago.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think Roman would be an excellent OC hire somewhere like Chicago.

I don’t know if he’d be a good head coach since that’s kind of a weird job, but some college should pay him a fortune to run their offense at least. Those kids aren’t keeping up with his lunatic run game

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

fartknocker posted:

6-1

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Weirdly no one wants to work with you if you build a reputation for throwing underlings under the bust the second things get rough. Moving on from Roman was a much tougher call than football Twitter would make it appear. When Lamar Jackson was starting Roman's offense was top ten every year in points and success rate. The team led their division and was #1 in the AFC in both 21 and 22 before Jackson went out.

Also, it's not like Roman was a bystander who benefited from the maturation of a guaranteed stud QB. He had a massive role in developing Jackson and building an offense that played to his strengths where most other OCs would have thrown him to the wolves and shrugged their shoulders as he struggled.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

That’s reserved for an NFC East Clownball game

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

When Lamar Jackson was starting Roman's offense was top ten every year in points and success rate. The team led their division and was #1 in the AFC in both 21 and 22 before Jackson went out.

when you have one of the two best QBs in the league, your offense will always look good. see: Nathaniel Hackett, Josh McDaniel

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

"Unanimous MVP" buys you a lot of leash. One positive is that Lamar basically had to learn how to make a passing game work that wasn't that good at getting guys open. Monken's system must feel like cheating.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

indigi posted:

when you have one of the two best QBs in the league, your offense will always look good. see: Nathaniel Hackett, Josh McDaniel

I don't think anyone outside of Baltimore would have agreed that Lamar was a top 7 QB, let alone top 2, before this season

e: obviously they were dead wrong, but that's a little revisionist on the football zeitgeist

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

yeah, we aren't that far removed from the time where loads of people were justifying the idea that Lamar wasn't actually worth committing to as a free agent franchise qb

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Let it be known that I actively and loudly called for Detroit to pick up Lamar when all that contract drama was going on

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Silly Burrito posted:

Just give me the option to listen to my homer radio station without having to sync/DVR/pause until it's all synced up correctly.

Yes or at least bring back the nfl highlight videos with the radio calls instead of Spero or whoever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

A big flaming stink posted:

I don't think anyone outside of Baltimore would have agreed that Lamar was a top 7 QB, let alone top 2, before this season

e: obviously they were dead wrong, but that's a little revisionist on the football zeitgeist

It's funny because for all the gushing now if we for whatever reason don't make the Superbowl it will be back to "Lamar can't win in the playoffs he's not worth it" etc etc. Just goes back and forth.

I think the only real concern about signing him to the big deal was injuries. Even though the years following 2019 weren't as good the potential was clearly there. But I figured we'd trade him to someone but no one was even interested.

I really hope we at least get to the AFC Championship cause there's never been one in Baltimore.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 5, 2024