Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Burns
May 10, 2008

I always suspected Pikachu was warping the minds of our youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ought ten posted:

Sorry but I can't abide all this anti-American blueberry hate. We have a whole state here called Maine that grows and harvests actual blueberries ("wild blueberries" in supermarket parlance). We know what blueberries are. Maybe folks in other states are being tricked by the white inside blueberries but we know what's going on.

Why must they insist on calling those white-fleshed abominations blueberries?! They must be renamed i say!

I shall, however, take your words into consideration for the future. Thank you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McGavin posted:

Most of the blueberries that are green inside come from Mexico or South America. At least that seems to be the case in Canada.

Experimentally, the best blueberries in Canada are those taken inadvertently-illegally from a national park, such as Cape Spear.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ukraine War: Blueberry Hole Sun

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Subjunctive posted:

Experimentally, the best blueberries in Canada are those taken inadvertently-illegally from a national park, such as Cape Spear.

Just drive east on Highway 7 during blueberry picking season.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Gejnor posted:

Ukraine War: Blueberry Hole Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZU1PXPoNI

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol

https://x.com/GOP4Ukraine/status/1743117362176340180?s=20

https://x.com/saintjavelin/status/1743254981904400576?s=20

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 5, 2024

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait a GOP leader supporting Ukraine?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Russia was not subtle and/or hardcore enough.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

An excellent follow up, besides the creepy positive comments on that video!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So I’m in the navy and my rate is “IT”. Got a sweet tattoo of a kraken wearing a Dixie cup hat tossing lightning bolts in a storm and well…

gently caress me i guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bunnyofdoom posted:

haley is part of the older breed of GOP shithead like romney and mccain and etc who are kinda the last gasp of the cold warrior/ buissness republic poo poo. alot of the senate GOP doesnt like the hardline isolationist poo poo. they will make a deal with biden and senate dems about the border and the chud house will gently caress it up because blood.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Philonius posted:

We all know how strongly the tankies feel about nazi symbols - I'm sure they will see the error of their ways now that the sonnenrad has been spotted on a russian soldier. Right?

How much money did this thread end up donating to the 88th Waffen Blood Purifier SS Division Completely Reformed Patriot’s Front anyway?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

How much money did this thread end up donating to the 88th Waffen Blood Purifier SS Division Completely Reformed Patriot’s Front anyway?

That's dnd OP

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

EorayMel posted:

That's dnd OP

Oh that’s right lol that’s much funnier

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1743360832782639343#m
They denazified that random piece of ground real good

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

Russia was not subtle and/or hardcore enough.

Not to get horseshoe about it but it's the ends of the parties that don't support them. The people on the left who have more rusted out T-72's in their brain than the east of Ukraine, and the far right chudsters who don't think the US government can do more than one thing at once. Happens that Ron's strat to beat Trump was to try to out MAGA the MAGA king.

I keeping thinking about it since that video, it's all Lyndon LaRouche all the way down.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Computer viking posted:

I always assumed it was a play on him being the junior Bush president.

That's exactly what it is; it sounds diminutive. I called him that a lot in the early 00s.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And now I find out that a shrub can be taller than a bush. This is very distressing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dwesa posted:

Clown Rogozin proposes to connect Kralovec to Russia, they should drop FAB 500 bombs on Suwalki gap from the orbit as he once suggested

thread: 18-year old Russian soldier was recently denazified in Ukraine, the youngest confirmed Russian soldier killed in the war

putinjugend copying hitlerjugend down to the symbols

quote:

According to his mother he had signed a contract to join the Russian forces only 10 weeks previously, on 5 September.

Wait, did he go from enlistment to being killed in a combat zone within 10 weeks? Are the Russians just doing the absolute bare minimum of training at this point? Basic training in the US army alone lasts 10 weeks, and then you go on to whatever your specialization is. Even in world war 2, marines received 8 weeks of basic + 8 weeks of field training.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

The_Franz posted:

Wait, did he go from enlistment to being killed in a combat zone within 10 weeks? Are the Russians just doing the absolute bare minimum of training at this point? Basic training in the US army alone lasts 10 weeks, and then you go on to whatever your specialization is. Even in world war 2, marines received 8 weeks of basic + 8 weeks of field training.

You're surprised at this from a country buying ammunition from North Korea?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Oh that’s right lol that’s much funnier

LOL indeed

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The_Franz posted:

Uh... how do I put this? Remember all those videos about mobiks whining that they're being sent to their deaths on purpose? One of the common threads in their complaints is that their "training" lasts anywhere between 1 week - 10 days to at most a month, with very limited time and ammo on the range, and most of the time they aren't actually "trained" but either goof around or do manual labor at the training camps. And this is if they're lucky.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DiomedesGodshill posted:

You're surprised at this from a country buying ammunition from North Korea?

Not really, but it says a lot about the state of their army when even fit, young recruits are funneled directly into the grinder with minimal training.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Russian soldiers do not require training or equipment for they are smart and strong unlike the stupid and fragile western soldiers

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

There's absolutely evidence some Russian recruits are being rushed to the front. Heck during the mobilization some men appeared to be sent directly to the front only a few days after being called up.

But I do recall claims that Russia does non-officer training fundamentally differently from Western armies, with it being much less centralized and a lot of the training taking part 'in the field/on the job' in the unit itself.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Tigey posted:

There's absolutely evidence some Russian recruits are being rushed to the front. Heck during the mobilization some men appeared to be sent directly to the front only a few days after being called up.

But I do recall claims that Russia does non-officer training fundamentally differently from Western armies, with it being much less centralized and a lot of the training taking part 'in the field/on the job' in the unit itself.

Yeah, I remember reading that Imperial Japan also ran their air force "fundamentally differently" from the Americans.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
"training taking part 'in the field/on the job'" is a really wordy way to say "not getting training" :)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

On the job training.... Infantry...

Wow.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://kyivindependent.com/national-resistance-center-partisans-confirm-destruction-of-russian-radar-system-in-occupied-crimea/

quote:

Members of the Atesh partisan movement confirmed that Ukrainian forces hit a radar system and control center in their Jan. 4 attack on a Russian military command post in occupied Crimea, the National Resistance center reported Jan. 5.

The Ukrainian Armed Forces reported a successful strike on a Russian command post near Sevastopol on Jan. 4, though the military did not provide details on the consequences of the attack.

According to the Center, Atesh guerrillas conducted reconnaissance at the attack site and confirmed crucial Russian military communications systems were hit in the strike. The attack reportedly damaged "the control center responsibile for a secure communication channel with the Kremlin," which also coordinated air defense throughout occupied Crimea.

The Center said the partisans investigated a military command unit near Yevpatoriia. A powerful explosion was reported in Yevpatoriia on Jan. 4, the day of the attack.

Additional explosions were reported in Crimea on Jan. 5, and Russian occupation authorities closed down traffic on the Crimean Bridge. The Russian Defense Ministry later claimed that air defense shot down four Ukrainian missiles shortly after midnight on Jan. 6.

Ukrainian forces have recently intensified their attacks on the occupied peninsula in hopes of disrupting military logistics and weakening Russia's southern defenses.
:sickos:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Galler posted:

Russian soldiers do not require training or equipment for they are smart and strong unlike the stupid and fragile western soldiers

When you were put partying they studied the blade.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

bad_fmr posted:

When you were put partying they studied the blyat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

When you were put partying they studied the blade.

Possibly even blade II.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

Most of the blueberries that are green inside come from Mexico or South America. At least that seems to be the case in Canada.

Wait, you have blueberries that are GREEN inside?

I am forever confused by which of our two Finnish blueberries are blueberries and which are bilberries, but neither of them are green on the inside.

The hell are you people doing over there?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They are a shade of blue on the outside, and the color on the inside can be anything from purpleish to white to green to teal and more depending on the cultivar.

It's like how there isn't just one type of corn, there are many types. But they're still generally recognizable as a type of corn because of the shared features.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

They are a shade of blue on the outside, and the color on the inside can be anything from purpleish to white to green to teal and more depending on the cultivar. But they're still generally recognizable as a type of corn because of the shared features.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RandomPauI posted:

They are a shade of blue on the outside, and the color on the inside can be anything from purpleish to white to green to teal and more depending on the cultivar.

Wow, I guess I learned something today. Genuinely did not know that!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Getting back on track, are there any more publicly known Ukrainian/Western joint ventures going on? E.g., stuff like the FrankenSAM systems? Those kinds of projects amaze me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Franz posted:

Yeah, and it's shocking.

I mean, the whole point of everything you learn during your military training is to keep you alive for a few weeks on a battlefield, so you can start learning more stuff on top of that. That, and of course to train you on whatever weapon system you're going to be using. Learning how to operate an artillery piece and how to conduct coordinated fire missions and actually hit your targets isn't easy, for instance.

Even if you're just a ground pounder and not someone who needs to use a more specialized weapon, there's still tons of very basic stuff you need to learn and more importantly practise over and over if you're going to A) not immediately get killed hopefully and B) be useful to your unit. And they're just rushing people from recruitment to tin caskets in a couple of weeks.

It's extremely obvious that the "training" they're giving their mobiks is only the very barebones "this is your gun, here's how you reload it, now let's shoot a couple of times" poo poo and expecting that the units teach them everything at the front, but that's an awful idea for many reasons, and made even more awful by the fact that at this point the guys at the front were trained equally badly. But I guess that's fine if you're just doing human wave tactics and don't give a poo poo about your soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

It's not like insufficient training isn't a massive problem for Ukrainian troops.

quote:

In July 2022, the United Kingdom, alongside other Ukrainian partners, established Operation Interflex to train Ukrainian troops. At the time, Ukraine desperately needed more units to hold defensive positions, so Interflex set the training program at five weeks, prioritizing skills vital to defensive operations. That five-week regimen still exists, but the mission has fundamentally changed.

During World War II, the British military considered 22 weeks the minimum time necessary to prepare a soldier for infantry combat.
After this initial period, soldiers would be assigned to units and take part in collective training in battalions. Even before May 2023, it was evident that Ukraine’s troops were undertrained for offensive operations and had barely had time to learn how to operate newly donated equipment. But as Russian forces strengthened their defensive positions, the offensive could not be delayed.

Ukrainian personnel also had too little opportunity to train collectively. The number of troops deployed is not the only thing that matters in war: the potency of an army’s manpower is a function of how well small units coordinate, even while dispersed across a broad area. Ukraine’s geography demands especially skilled coordination because tree lines prevent units from being able to see one another. The threat of artillery further drives dispersion, so that companies are often spread over nearly two miles of front. The terrain in Zaporizhzhia particularly encourages commanders to fight with isolated companies. In this geographic context, a capacity to synchronize activity beyond each unit’s line of sight is needed so units can support one another and exploit each other’s gains.

Collective training in the Ukrainian military has rarely taken place above the company level, however, and the need to staff new units has also left most short of experienced officers. Over the course of the war, the number of active Ukrainian troops has quintupled with no significant rise in the number of trained staff officers. In a theater that requires Ukrainian officers to synchronize widely dispersed maneuvers with artillery fire, drone orbits, and the effects of electronic warfare, a shortage of field-grade officers means an inability to stitch together large-scale operations.

During the 2023 offensive, Ukrainian operations were largely fought by pairs of companies under the close management of an understaffed brigade command post. The result was that while Ukrainian soldiers often succeeded in taking enemy positions, they were rarely able to exploit the breaches they made or to quickly reinforce their gains. Instead, they had to stop and plan, giving Russian forces time to reset. If the Ukrainian military cannot expand the scale at which it operates, this experience risks being repeated. Delivering the proper training, however, will need time.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/war-ukraine-not-stalemate