Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

stillvisions posted:

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Rich pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

SAVE EVANS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I like Berenthal, but goddamn I love Mann for just being brutal like that.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

yeah that guy is at least an average hollywood actor. pretty terrible thing to say

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

yeah that guy is at least an average hollywood actor. pretty terrible thing to say

In consolation he got to hone is gangster film skills in the equally prestigious Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian as Al Capone.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jose Oquendo posted:

This makes that tiny Miami Vice reference in The Bear that much funnier/sadder.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Improbable Lobster posted:

The costumes are more comic accurate but the tone and plot are standard 80s action film

Dredd should never remove his helmet

And im tired of this nanosuit crap on superheroes, either leave your loving helmet on, or take the proper 2 and a half minutes of unfastening it every time you want to expose your face to gunfire

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i chain watched dark city, the adjustment bureau, the matrix and ghost in a shell

i would like more movies where sinister, supernatural men in suits more-or-less manufacture our reality please

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

hard counter posted:

i chain watched dark city, the adjustment bureau, the matrix and ghost in a shell

i would like more movies where sinister, supernatural men in suits more-or-less manufacture our reality please

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

X JAKK posted:

And im tired of this nanosuit crap on superheroes, either leave your loving helmet on, or take the proper 2 and a half minutes of unfastening it every time you want to expose your face to gunfire

I hate to give The Amazing Spider-Man any compliments, but Andrew Garfield did a good job acting behind the mask through exaggerated body language and didn’t do the “take off mask any time I have to act” poo poo. Like a power ranger.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jose Oquendo posted:

this is one of those stories you kind of keep to yourself IMO, like careerism can rot your soul but there's no real upside to saying "hey the guy who did Heat says I suck rear end can you believe it!?!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jesus Christ haha

I like Bernthal too, but yeah, that's rough

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

hard counter posted:

sinister, supernatural men in suits
AHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHH!

scared the poo poo out of me

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

hard counter posted:

phantasm

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

hard counter posted:

I think maybe The Thirteenth Floor (1999) might fit the mold but it's been ages since I've seen it and I remember not being blown away. Of course any of the Cube-likes but they're a bit off base.

I was huge into the Matrix as a kid and seeing Dark City like a decade later was interesting but ultimately a let down

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

I'll report back when I watch Dredd this weekend. Y'all have me convinced but I'll be shaking my old wrinkled fist if it sucks, gat dangit!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

I'll report back when I watch Dredd this weekend. Y'all have me convinced but I'll be shaking my old wrinkled fist if it sucks, gat dangit!

It's as good a movie that could've been made by a studio, accomplishes everything it sets out to do, and the actor and the Money was ok with never taking the helmet off. 10/10

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

i hope you enjoy it. but if you dont and i found out, im gonna shake my drat head in pity. so prepare yourself for my disappointment in you, sonny.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Dredd owns

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

henkman posted:

Dredd owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Only wish I had seen it in theaters.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i was extremely lucky that i saw it in theaters as i was pretty bummed that my friends wanted to see it. goddamn im glad we did. then they added it to netflix like a year later and i watched it a dozen more times.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The 3D in Dredd was actually very well done

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

It was definitely one of the more worthwhile 3D experiences too. All those bullets and viscera flying at you in slow motion!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Always watch Phantasm

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The bluray include the 3d version of dredd which is awesome but nobody on the planet owns a 3Dtv and no bluray player will convert it to red/blue trash 3D as a consolation prize

I’ll just never see it in 3d

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I saw it in 3D in an empty theater. I have seen the promised land.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

Always watch Phantasm

Phantasm is great

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dredd, the raid, john wick, I've seen em all but I don't remember a god damned thing. I don't know why but I just get nothing from any of them

Jose Oquendo posted:

lmfao. mann was right of course but, woof. eugh

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

hard counter posted:

Pretty much the entire ouvre of Grant Morrison that isn't superhero cape poo poo fits the bill and was famously ripped off for both the Matrix and Dark City so maybe read Invisibles.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
John Bernthal:

"Hey everyone! Not many people know this but I poo poo my pants really bad one time. I had my pants tucked into my socks because I was prepping to play Punisher and my boots just totally filled with liquid poop. Couldn't even get them off it was so bad, had to have the boots surgically removed. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew. Cool ok thanks. Thanks".

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
I finally sat down and watched one cut of the dead and I loved it.

I knew there was a twist going in but I didn't know what the twist actually was. I thought it was going to be the fake horror movie they are filming turns into a real horror movie but that "twist" happens within the first few minutes and the remaining part of the horror movie section is still pretty bad and something feels off. It was obviously still a fake movie or just terrible. I wasn't expecting the second half of the movie to be a traditionally shot comedy/drama about the trials and tribulations of the director dealing with the logistical nightmare of trying to do a one shot and bond with his daughter.

It's not perfect by any means, there were a few moments where I felt it was pretty weak, but overall I really enjoyed it. Definitely a movie that benefits from you going in blind.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There's someone in the Avatar thread in CD who used some program to make his 4k copy of Avatar into a 3D movie in VR. I wonder if that could be done to Dredd or if it only works with heavily CG movies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bernethal has two settings: simmering rage and explosive rage so as long as a part is constrained to that you’re good!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Meat Wagon posted:

I finally sat down and watched one cut of the dead and I loved it.

I knew there was a twist going in but I didn't know what the twist actually was. I thought it was going to be the fake horror movie they are filming turns into a real horror movie but that "twist" happens within the first few minutes and the remaining part of the horror movie section is still pretty bad and something feels off. It was obviously still a fake movie or just terrible. I wasn't expecting the second half of the movie to be a traditionally shot comedy/drama about the trials and tribulations of the director dealing with the logistical nightmare of trying to do a one shot and bond with his daughter.

It's not perfect by any means, there were a few moments where I felt it was pretty weak, but overall I really enjoyed it. Definitely a movie that benefits from you going in blind.

I watched this and then the French remake immediately after which was a weird experience because the French movie is a beat for beat remake that still references the Japanese film (and features one of the actors!)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Just watched Dredd again.
First time wife watching it, she loved it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bernthal’s podcast sure is something if you ever wanted to see him roleplaying his life as a streetwise military vet talking to Shia LeBouf roleplaying his life as a cholo gangster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

priznat posted:

Bernethal has two settings: simmering rage and explosive rage so as long as a part is constrained to that you’re good!

Is that why he spends all of The Bear being dead?

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

FishBowlRobot posted:

Bernthal’s podcast sure is something if you ever wanted to see him roleplaying his life as a streetwise military vet talking to Shia LeBouf roleplaying his life as a cholo gangster.

I tried watching that poo poo a few months back because one friend of mine is a huge Bernthal fan but I had to turn it off after a few minutes. LaBeouf is a Disney kid and Bernthal is your typical privileged theater kid from a well-off family and yet here they are talking about their harrowing lives while spouting the lamest fortune cookie platitudes ever about how tough poo poo life is, man. The only good(?) purpose these podcasts have is they give us plenty of case studies on how narcissists behave.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

not trolled not crying posted:

I tried watching that poo poo a few months back because one friend of mine is a huge Bernthal fan but I had to turn it off after a few minutes. LaBeouf is a Disney kid and Bernthal is your typical privileged theater kid from a well-off family and yet here they are talking about their harrowing lives while spouting the lamest fortune cookie platitudes ever about how tough poo poo life is, man. The only good(?) purpose these podcasts have is they give us plenty of case studies on how narcissists behave.

Im sorry you let your dreams be dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

X JAKK posted:

Im sorry you let your dreams be dreams

I only have nightmares.