Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

The bad news is that the pattern will repeat endlessly, and once RTD2 ends we will begin MoffaTwo in vain.

If Moffat improves as much as RTD did, that's okay by me, lol.

Not that the new specials are perfect, but I do feel like he learned from some of his past mistakes and has evolved.

The last time I gave Moffat a chance, he had not, and for some reason he wants to do "The British West Wing" whatever that loving means, so, on second thought, don't hire him for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hold up. Looking back, did we never see Twelve's time vortex?

We saw it in Twice Upon a Time but that was One's.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Hold up. Looking back, did we never see Twelve's time vortex?

We saw it in Twice Upon a Time but that was One's.

Only in the opening titles, sadly

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Only in the opening titles, sadly

Was that meant to be the Vortex? It just looked like it was just semi-abstract art, it was all clocks and planets and gallifreyan writing, never a bit that looked vortex-ish. Even the circley bit at the end with the TARDIS flying through was made of symbols.

Wierd if they managed to go three seasons of the show without a vortex shot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 5, 2024

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Now that Doctor Who has the Disney money and they're doing spin-offs, pitch five Doctor Who spin-off ideas.
The Eighth Doctor Adventures. Deliberately shot in the style of a 1990s SF show.
Missy-ing Links. The hitherto-unexplored adventures of Missy.
Sapphire & Steel backdoor revival. Just have them cameo in one of the other shows and have their universe and the Whoniverse cross over.
Blake's 7 backdoor revival. Same principle as above, only now Paul Darrow's dead it's safe from being turned into The Avon Show.
Time Lord Notorious. The saga of a renegade Gallifreyan who took his time machine to the late 20th Century and became one of the biggest names in East Coast hip-hop.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Infinitum posted:

*Accents exist*
Random American: "YOU BRITS EVER CONSIDER SPEAKING ENGLISH?"

Listen, yesterday, I watched the first episode of Primeval because it looked cool and some of y'all accents are like listening to someone talk with their head in jello.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Covok posted:

Listen, yesterday, I watched the first episode of Primeval because it looked cool and some of y'all accents are like listening to someone talk with their head in jello.

I'm kinda interested actually which ones really stand out (I have not seen the crap 00s dinosaur show). Like the West Country accent is notoriously funny-sounding to British ears but actually given that (I think?) that is quite similar to some historical American accents maybe that one actually sounds more normal than, I don't know, Geordie or whatever.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

What is this a reference to?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Resdfru posted:

What is this a reference to?

It’s a reference to the difference in nature between 10 and 11.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Was that meant to be the Vortex? It just looked like it was just semi-abstract art, it was all clocks and planets and gallifreyan writing, never a bit that looked vortex-ish. Even the circley bit at the end with the TARDIS flying through was made of symbols.

Wierd if they managed to go three seasons of the show without a vortex shot.

Yep, each opening sequence is meant to show/represent the time vortex of that era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU

quote:

I feel bad for the cameraman that shot all of these, must’ve been really stressful constantly having to go hurtling through the time vortex every time the BBC needed a new intro

Now we just have to wait for them to add 14/15 to the list

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Yep, each opening sequence is meant to show/represent the time vortex of that era

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU

Aren't a lot of the later classic intros just starfields and stuff? I swear the vortexes (vortices?) in the show then were still trippy visuals during those years.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

lines posted:

I'm kinda interested actually which ones really stand out (I have not seen the crap 00s dinosaur show). Like the West Country accent is notoriously funny-sounding to British ears but actually given that (I think?) that is quite similar to some historical American accents maybe that one actually sounds more normal than, I don't know, Geordie or whatever.

It was the main palentologist I remember having the most problem with. Cutter.

Here is a clip. https://youtu.be/WE-PUUN65ME

Also, the first episode was fine.

Funny enough, it sounds clearer now. Like, I acclimating.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Covok posted:

It was the main palentologist I remember having the most problem with. Cutter.

Here is a clip. https://youtu.be/WE-PUUN65ME

Also, the first episode was fine.

Funny enough, it sounds clearer now. Like, I acclimating.

I think the word is "learning".

Covok
May 27, 2013

SiKboy posted:

I think the word is "learning".

Isn't that what "acclimating" means? It refers to the specifc situation when you go to a new place and get used to their culture and norms? Or is it that "acclimating" has some bad baggage, like colonialism or something?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The word is acclimatising.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

PriorMarcus posted:

The bad news is that the pattern will repeat endlessly, and once RTD2 ends we will begin MoffaTwo in vain.

And then Chibnall²

"I think I'll skip the rest of the rewind, I hate repeats"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

While there can be some nuances, in most uses acclimate and acclimatise are used to mean the same thing, but Americans will say acclimate and Brits will say acclimatise. It's just a regional variation.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yes, I would say acclimatise. That's an interesting variation.

He really does just sound like an average Scottish person to me! Fascinating really - I think of American accents as being much more varied than that. Like yon folk up in Minnesota - now that's a lovely accent, very interesting. Could see an interesting Who filmed/set up in that part of the US actually - Who does Fargo or something.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've always wanted to see a Doctor Who episode with the setting of the Klondike Gold Rush. Obviously the villains wouldn't be Cybermen, but there's plenty to mine there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Edward Mass posted:

I've always wanted to see a Doctor Who episode with the setting of the Klondike Gold Rush. Obviously the villains wouldn't be Cybermen, but there's plenty to mine there.

Gold Cybermen

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

MikeJF posted:

While there can be some nuances, in most uses acclimate and acclimatise are used to mean the same thing, but Americans will say acclimate and Brits will say acclimatise. It's just a regional variation.

As George Bernard Shaw once said, America and Britain are two countries separated by a common language.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Holy poo poo, Series 9 is so so good. I've got to The Husbands of River Song in my watchthrough and you know what? I could go for a spin-off series where the concept is that it's about the Twelfth Doctor and River going on little adventures together during their 24 years of living together on Darillium (because you know they didn't just let the TARDIS gather dust in the corner unused during all that time), because the chemistry between them is far better than River/11 and on a par with/might be better than River/10.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Edward Mass posted:

:rimshot:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Warthur posted:

Holy poo poo, Series 9 is so so good. I've got to The Husbands of River Song in my watchthrough and you know what? I could go for a spin-off series where the concept is that it's about the Twelfth Doctor and River going on little adventures together during their 24 years of living together on Darillium (because you know they didn't just let the TARDIS gather dust in the corner unused during all that time), because the chemistry between them is far better than River/11 and on a par with/might be better than River/10.

Series 9 crew rise up, it's probably the best of the revival IMO. The new episodes got me in the mood and and I watched Face the Raven, Heaven Sent, and Hell Bent a couple of weeks ago, what a fantastic run of stories. After the last several years it was wonderful to hear even tossed-off lines with a wonderful sense of weight to them ("At the end of everything, one must expect the company of immortals.")

Just the text doesn't do Capaldi's and Coleman's performances justice, but this exchange shortly before Clara's death is unbelievably good:

quote:

CLARA: We can fix this, can't we? We always fix it.
DOCTOR: No. (to Ashildr) But you can. Fix this. Fix it now.
ASHILDR: It, it's not possible. I can't.
DOCTOR: Yes, it is, you can, and you will, or this street will be over. I'll show you and all your funny little friends to the whole laughing world. I'll bring UNIT, I'll bring the Zygons. Give me a minute, I'll bring the Daleks and the Cybermen. You will save Clara, and you will do it now, or I will rain hell on you for the rest of time.
CLARA: Doctor, stop talking like that.
ASHILDR: You can't.
DOCTOR: I can do whatever the hell I like. You've read the stories. You know who I am. And in all of that time, did you ever hear anything about anyone who stopped me?
ASHILDR: I know the Doctor. The Doctor would never
DOCTOR: The Doctor is no longer here! You are stuck with me. And I will end you, and everything you love.
CLARA: Doctor, for God's sake, will you stop?
DOCTOR: No!
CLARA: I did this, do you hear me? I did this. This is my fault.
DOCTOR: I don't care.
CLARA: Liar. You always care. Always have. Your reign of terror will end with the sight of the first crying child and you know it.
DOCTOR: No, I don't.
CLARA: I do. Listen, if this is the last I ever see of you, please, not like this.
(The Raven caws in the distance.)
CLARA: (to Ashildr) Is there anything you can do?
ASHILDR: I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry, I
CLARA: Time's short. Yes or no?
ASHILDR: No.
(The Doctor breathes heavily. Rigsy is trying not to cry.)
CLARA: Well, if Danny Pink can do it, so can I.
DOCTOR: Do what?
CLARA: Die right. Die like I mean it. Face the Raven.
DOCTOR: No. This, this isn't happening. This can't be happening.
CLARA: Maybe this is what I wanted. Maybe this is it. Maybe this is why I kept running. Maybe this is why I kept taking all those stupid risks. Kept pushing it.
DOCTOR: This is my fault.
CLARA: This is my choice.
DOCTOR: I let you get reckless.
CLARA: Why? Why shouldn't I be so reckless? You're reckless all the bloody time. Why can't I be like you?
DOCTOR: Clara, there's nothing special about me. I am nothing, but I'm less breakable than you. I should have taken care of you.
CLARA: I never asked you to.
DOCTOR: You shouldn't have to ask.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I am 99% convinced that "I'm an archaeologist from the future... I dug you up" is a quip which Moffat had wanted to give River Song for ages but never quite had the right story to use, but it really worked well here.

Also the only S9 story I'd say is below par is the Zygon one, which is basically weapons-grade centrism combined with an argument that living as your authentic self is an act of violence against society.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can take or leave the first ten episodes of series 9, but the last two are some of the best the show's ever done. So on balance it's a good series.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

2house2fly posted:

I can take or leave the first ten episodes of series 9, but the last two are some of the best the show's ever done. So on balance it's a good series.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there has not been a single episode of Doctor Who before or since as good as Heaven Sent. Yes, the Caves of Androzani, but that’s four separate episodes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's one hell of a bird.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, there has not been a single episode of Doctor Who before or since as good as Heaven Sent. Yes, the Caves of Androzani, but that’s four separate episodes.

Heaven Sent is incredible but I think it lands as well as it does because of the legwork the entire Capaldi era does to that point to prepare you for it. The fourth wall narration, his interactions with Clara (and even her catchphrases), all the confession dial stuff so far, the Hybrid hints, they all do a lovely job of setting up the storytelling toolkit the episode uses and it wouldn't land the same without them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

lines posted:

Yes, I would say acclimatise. That's an interesting variation.

He really does just sound like an average Scottish person to me! Fascinating really - I think of American accents as being much more varied than that. Like yon folk up in Minnesota - now that's a lovely accent, very interesting. Could see an interesting Who filmed/set up in that part of the US actually - Who does Fargo or something.

Here's a dirty secret of American TV: we don't use 90% of our regional accents or dialog in most of our media. Most characters use "neutral" accent, which is actually a midwestern accent. Most Americans see the accent as "neutral." Then, the next most popular would be the "southern" accent, which is actually an exaggerated Texas accent. New York comes up, but they are actually more common in mafia media and period pieces then anything set in a contemporary period. Outside of that, anything is a rarity. You never see a Wisconsin accent on TV or a Missourian or Kentucky, etc. And that's not even getting into the kind of racist "race based" accent casting that has thankfully been dying down over the last 20 years.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Sylvester McCoy's in ep. 3 of the new Father Brown series, if you can stand it. He's playing a doctor, rolling his R's and even plays the spoons briefly. An easy morning for the casting director there.

e: certainly plenty of Scottish noises

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 6, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Covok posted:

Here's a dirty secret of American TV: we don't use 90% of our regional accents or dialog in most of our media. Most characters use "neutral" accent, which is actually a midwestern accent. Most Americans see the accent as "neutral." Then, the next most popular would be the "southern" accent, which is actually an exaggerated Texas accent. New York comes up, but they are actually more common in mafia media and period pieces then anything set in a contemporary period. Outside of that, anything is a rarity. You never see a Wisconsin accent on TV or a Missourian or Kentucky, etc. And that's not even getting into the kind of racist "race based" accent casting that has thankfully been dying down over the last 20 years.

Yeah, there are loads of really distinctive regional accents that get little to no exposure in media; I can't think of any time I've seen somebody with a Philadelphia accent, the Chicago accent has only really come up in that one SNL sketch, etc. Especially on the East Coast, you've got a whole constellation of disparate accents close together in a manner similar to the U.K. A bunch of them are dying out due to being perceived as low-class / proliferation of the "neutral" accent. That's something I know happens in Britain as well with RP being considered the default, but for whatever reason other accents are more common in media there than in the U.S.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kind of funny, because Ncuti's outright said in interviews that he feels his Scottish accent makes him sound posh (there is a slight whiff of middle class about it, for sure)

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, there are loads of really distinctive regional accents that get little to no exposure in media; I can't think of any time I've seen somebody with a Philadelphia accent, the Chicago accent has only really come up in that one SNL sketch, etc. Especially on the East Coast, you've got a whole constellation of disparate accents close together in a manner similar to the U.K. A bunch of them are dying out due to being perceived as low-class / proliferation of the "neutral" accent. That's something I know happens in Britain as well with RP being considered the default, but for whatever reason other accents are more common in media there than in the U.S.

RP isn't the default. It was never really a 'real' accent. What's actually happening is there's more sort of regional accents for wider areas. So instead of distinct Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle, there's more of a general 'Northern' accent developing. Multicultural London English is becoming kind of the predominant accent in the city.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I have another prediction about the upcoming season: it's going to be a secret musical.

We already got the Goblin King song, and the upcoming season has a Beatles episode. The goblins didn't need a musical number to work plot wise but they got one anyway. Yes it was a Christmas episode, but Christmas episodes still generally followed the structure of main series episodes in the past. It would fit the looser and more fantastical tone they're going for with this season. Secret musicals are a huge trend right now in cinemas, with Wonka, Mean Girls, and The Color Purple hitting theatres around the same time. I therefore predict that the season will have at least one musical number per episode.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want The Beatles episode to be about them being attacked by a giant beatle

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I predict the Beatles thing is a fakeout and most of the action of the episode takes place a few years later, dealing with what really happened to Syd Barrett.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Warthur posted:

Heaven Sent is incredible but I think it lands as well as it does because of the legwork the entire Capaldi era does to that point to prepare you for it. The fourth wall narration, his interactions with Clara (and even her catchphrases), all the confession dial stuff so far, the Hybrid hints, they all do a lovely job of setting up the storytelling toolkit the episode uses and it wouldn't land the same without them.

Hell yeah! I'm all in on 12th Doctor revisionism. It was a good time, even though it felt like a bad time, at the time. Because it felt like a bad time, even

Covok
May 27, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Hell yeah! I'm all in on 12th Doctor revisionism. It was a good time, even though it felt like a bad time, at the time. Because it felt like a bad time, even

I binged Calpadia last year. I really enjoyed it. People are way to mean to Clara. I peaced out on Spyfall because my Doctor Who game died when I was the watching the episode. Like, literally. I sent a text about how I was going to handle my time as The Doctor in the game and then it died. Since I was the GM, the player thought I was torturing the Doctor in the last season to justify my Doctor being sad. But it was actually just a concidence and I wanted an epic final confrontational with the Master to mean stuff.

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah, Calpadi is great. I should finish the Jodie era eventually.

Oh fun fact about that TRPG campaign, I came up with this idea where the Doctor's companion was a girl from Victorian England who actually died and was a living paradox because someone changed the past. Last Christmas, my sister in law bought me the Charlie Pollard arc for the 8th Doctor. Imagine my loving surprise.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'll say this for Chibs, the last Jodie Whitaker episode is a fun blowout continuityfest in a completely different way to what you'd get from RTD or Moffat. I don't know if I like it (it falls into the same Silence-esque place as the rest of Chibnall's era where I can't remember a drat thing about it when I'm not actively watching it) but I like that it made some of the choices it made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

Did people really not like 12 here? I remember those years being quite well-liked, if nitpicked a bit for funsies.