Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I had a late Friday afternoon meeting with my boss. He wants to move me to a new project. I've been on my current one for 2.5 years, and it's become second nature to me. I'm extremely knowledgeable on the project and can get most things done with little effort. This leads to lots of down time.

On the one hand, I'm excited for the possibility to actually start using my brain again and learn something new. But on the other hand, that also means it won't be as easy for me to slack off during my day and watch a movie or whatever. A real double-edged sword here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Is there a way to do paste values with a single shortcut in excel or is [ctrl-shift-v, v, enter] still best?

Also, is paste values/formulas + number formats used all that much? If it was ALL formatting I'd be way happier with it. I want to know who to be mad at over that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I had a late Friday afternoon meeting with my boss. He wants to move me to a new project. I've been on my current one for 2.5 years, and it's become second nature to me. I'm extremely knowledgeable on the project and can get most things done with little effort. This leads to lots of down time.

On the one hand, I'm excited for the possibility to actually start using my brain again and learn something new. But on the other hand, that also means it won't be as easy for me to slack off during my day and watch a movie or whatever. A real double-edged sword here.

It’s ok if you ramp up quickly you can goof off with the expectation that other people have that you’re still ramping!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm mostly OK with GSheets and GDocs except that we use Veeva Vault for almost all our controlled document management stuff. It's perfectly adequate for around-the-office stuff, but it regularly breaks formatting on anything complicated or involving tables that gets put into Veeva, and we're not supposed to do a PDF conversion first (because then you lose the editable source doc and can't upversion it without finding the source later).

What does Veeva have to say about those compatibility issues?

Uh huh. Sounds about right. :v:

So end result is that anyone working with the GMP documentation keeps a copy of MS Office around anyway, because our official EDMS officially doesn't support our official office suite. :haw:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Funnily enough the company owner who has decided that we should all use gsuite doesn't know that you can export to PDF from it. He keeps telling us to send it to him so he can use his Office subscription to do it for us :psyduck:

brainwrinkle posted:

You can paste without formatting with Control + Shift + V with Chrome or the Docs offline extension.
Does that extension exist for Firefox? A very quick search didn't turn it up and if the solution is "just use Google stuff more" I'm not going to be charitable in my response.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had an email from a different manager about some piece of equipment that we needed to get working by adding patient information to it or something. My manager told me it might be IT's problem. But I am IT, and I was hired to work IT magic on biomedical stuff. I should just stop caring

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Business, Finance, and Careers › Corporate Megathread: I should just stop caring

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I had an email from a different manager about some piece of equipment that we needed to get working by adding patient information to it or something. My manager told me it might be IT's problem. But I am IT, and I was hired to work IT magic on biomedical stuff. I should just stop caring

This reboot of Pagliacci is kinda weird.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

Does that extension exist for Firefox? A very quick search didn't turn it up and if the solution is "just use Google stuff more" I'm not going to be charitable in my response.

I couldn’t find anything for Firefox, sorry.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

brainwrinkle posted:

I couldn’t find anything for Firefox, sorry.
Eh, you tried at least. I guess it's not rational for me to be salty about trading one software monopoly giant for another, but I am salty about it anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

I don't think I've had two days in a row without lunch meetings in FIVE YEARS
JFC. I don't think I've ever had a lunch meeting that wasn't "shooting the poo poo with contractors/suppliers/internal customers, *at a restaurant*" in five years.

priznat posted:

It’s ok if you ramp up quickly you can goof off with the expectation that other people have that you’re still ramping!
Yeah on old news work you goof because you've become efficient, on new work you goof because you've set expectations appropriately.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 6, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hearing that my company is going to be offering buyouts on Monday. SERIOUSLY considering taking it as I'd get ~41 weeks of pay. That combined with my current cash reserves would get me about 15-18 months of expenses.

I have a lot of family, friends, and former colleagues that regret not taking the buyouts when they were offered to them. I realized recently that there may some survivorship bias in that as I may not be talking and hearing the feedback from those that did take the buyout. What experiences have all of you had? I know it'll be anecdote, but looking to balance out even just a little bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What’s your plan after the buy out? I assume you’re not close to retirement age.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What’s your plan after the buy out? I assume you’re not close to retirement age.

The largest thing that I need to sort out and think through, for sure. Still early stages on that not really prepped to dive into that and have it analyzed. Was moreso looking for the anecdotal feedback of the masses more than my specific situation.

But no, I'm not that close to retirement age. Have income on the side that has exceeded my corporate salary for three years now, but that is not stable nor can be counted on into the future. But has allowed for me to create a warchest.

I've been unhappy for quite some time and wanting to potentially move to other industries/roles and with the cash infusion could accept a lower salary to do so. That's an option, as well as finding something competitive or maybe even superior in my industry.

I have line of sight to expanding and adding on additional source of self-employed income that is high probability in the near term, but again not assured for the long. Which would serve to kick out that runway for longer and longer while I figured out a plan.

So no, I don't have a good plan. Very early stage thinking happening right now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Highly recommend taking the buyout, taking a few weeks off, then making finding your next job your full time job, for which you will be paid.

But you HAVE to get your nose to the grindstone and do it. It is really really easy after the 2-4 week vacation to just kind of let it keep going until you look up and it's been a year and you're out of money and you haven't even begun to seriously job search. REALLY easy. Don't do it. You have to have the discipline to get yourself back to work after your vacation, when there's no one else to make you do it. Set a "return to work" date in advance and make absolutely certain you hold to it.

If you aren't certain you can do that, don't take the buyout.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m curious about thoughts on companies that are offering buyouts, like how often they stabilize and how often they just keep sliding. I imagine the majority are the latter and the buyouts will lead to layoffs eventually.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My stepdad got an 18 month severance from a layoff. Spent a year doing not much (travelling to Turcs and Cacos where his sister owned a house on the beach), then 6 months looking for work. It was early COVID days. He ended up hating his new job and a year is so later going back to the company that laid him off. Pretty good deal all told.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 6, 2024

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

priznat posted:

I’m curious about thoughts on companies that are offering buyouts, like how often they stabilize and how often they just keep sliding. I imagine the majority are the latter and the buyouts will lead to layoffs eventually.

Experienced it twice, at Samsung (2009, the great recession) and at Dell (2014, when they went private). In both cases the companies recovered very well but those were unique cases imo.

I ended up going back to Dell in 2017, to a salary about 45% higher than when I left. Granted, I was underpaid before, but it still shows how much of a jump you can get by moving around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

priznat posted:

Big industrials tend to offer them and stay stable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Highly recommend taking the buyout, taking a few weeks off, then making finding your next job your full time job, for which you will be paid.

But you HAVE to get your nose to the grindstone and do it. It is really really easy after the 2-4 week vacation to just kind of let it keep going until you look up and it's been a year and you're out of money and you haven't even begun to seriously job search. REALLY easy. Don't do it. You have to have the discipline to get yourself back to work after your vacation, when there's no one else to make you do it. Set a "return to work" date in advance and make absolutely certain you hold to it.

100% this. I am absolutely a grinder when it comes to working so if I took the buyout I'd be doing exactly what you said and/or plowing forward on other streams of income.

Trabant posted:

Experienced it twice, at Samsung (2009, the great recession) and at Dell (2014, when they went private). In both cases the companies recovered very well but those were unique cases imo.

I ended up going back to Dell in 2017, to a salary about 45% higher than when I left. Granted, I was underpaid before, but it still shows how much of a jump you can get by moving around.

Another part that makes this an attractive proposition is that I've been pretty complacent and haven't shopped around for a new job in 17 years, starting with 41 weeks severance is a hell of an incentive to get off my duff to finally do so.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trabant posted:

Yeah I guess it depends a lot on the size of the company although smaller ones are probably less likely to offer buyouts.

Locally I know a lot of people at solidigm have been offered buyouts and some were essentially laid off with forced buyouts. I don’t think solidigm as a company will disappear but this location probably will. They just aren’t ripping off the band aid.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

My company is a large electric utility that has never done layoffs in the recent half century and will in all likelihood exist in some form forever. Just a matter of how deep they cut and how painful it'll be for those still around.

I was always musing updating my resume and getting out there this year. I'm a fairly senior manager that could get promoted in the next year or two so that's been a consideration on both the value of sticking around and the challenges of finding comparable level at another company.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Hearing that my company is going to be offering buyouts on Monday. SERIOUSLY considering taking it as I'd get ~41 weeks of pay. That combined with my current cash reserves would get me about 15-18 months of expenses.

I have a lot of family, friends, and former colleagues that regret not taking the buyouts when they were offered to them. I realized recently that there may some survivorship bias in that as I may not be talking and hearing the feedback from those that did take the buyout. What experiences have all of you had? I know it'll be anecdote, but looking to balance out even just a little bit.
Mostly depends on your employment prospects IMO. One thing to keep in mind in smaller markets is that being first to (employment) market also has value.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

TraderStav posted:

Have income on the side that has exceeded my corporate salary for three years now…
I have line of sight to expanding and adding on additional source of self-employed income that is high probability in the near term, but again not assured for the long. Which would serve to kick out that runway for longer and longer while I figured out a plan.

Is this something unrelated to your job like rental property, or tied to your employment somehow (like consultant gigs)? That probably doesn’t matter much but I’d just want to be sure the side income doesn’t dry up too.

Unrelated question: Anyone have a bead in how much do executive recruiters help when moving around to F500 or better companies at the VP or C level? Or is it almost entirely relationship based?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Is this something unrelated to your job like rental property, or tied to your employment somehow (like consultant gigs)? That probably doesn’t matter much but I’d just want to be sure the side income doesn’t dry up too.

Completely unrelated to my employment/career. It could absolutely dry up / go south, though. I don't foresee that happening in the next 12ish months though, so I'd confidently say it can continue post-buyout to further extend that runway while I sort things out.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Counterpoint: freedom feels really, really good for about 3-4 months

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Car Hater posted:

Counterpoint: freedom feels really, really good for about 3-4 months

Agreed. I took severance and enjoyed 5 months of bliss

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chaotic Flame posted:

In the Travis McGee novels, the titular Travis says that he's taking his retirement in installments and basically only works when he's out of money. I wish that it was possible to do this with corporate gigs and severance.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

If you could arrange layoffs on a predictable schedule, it’d be the perfect life

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Put me on the oilrig schedule of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We have 5 new hires starting on Monday and I am kinda freaked out lol. Our group is growing so insanely fast with probably another 5-10 expected to be hired this quarter.

Looks like I’m gonna be a manager like it or not! I’m cool with that though, it’s time.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Chaotic Flame posted:

i did this too back in 2013 and just did "bucket list" stuff, easily one of the most fulfilling times in my life ever, highly recommend!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Democratic Pirate posted:

I interviewed with Maxar and they had a wacky schedule with one week of days then a week of swings then a week of mids plus a weekend shift, then it was 5 days off, work the weekend, then 7 days off. Then it started all over. Sounded awful but all that time off made it really tempting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hotel Kpro posted:

I interviewed with Maxar and they had a wacky schedule with one week of days then a week of swings then a week of mids plus a weekend shift, then it was 5 days off, work the weekend, then 7 days off. Then it started all over. Sounded awful but all that time off made it really tempting

Move that last weekend to the beginning of the cycle and you're talking.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

*monkey-paw curls a finger* "You are now hourly."

A contract firm that my previous company worked with only provided benefits to their contractors while they were on the job. I don't mean "on a contract" either - I mean during work hours. It was one of a large array of probably-illegal terms and conditions that those contractors were subjected to, both by their actual company and us. Twisted your ankle at work? Covered. Fell off a ladder at home? Eat poo poo, your insurance won't pay. We also pulled the trucker dilemma on them (demand you drive only 8 hours per day, demand you stay at or below the speed limit, then give you more miles to drive than math says is possible while adhering to the other conditions. Fire you if you're late or pulled over, blame you for accidents, and fire you if you complain about it). Our version was hourly-max rates (40 hours per week max pay, no authorized OT) + projects too big to possibly complete if you only work 40 hours per week during your contract. So we'd end up paying you for 40 tops, while you worked 50-60.

That bullshit (even more than knowledge loss / brain drain) is why I am so completely loving anti-contract-worker now, when the rest of the industry is going the other direction. Need a plumber? CONTRACTOR. Need a building erected? CONTRACTOR. Need an equipment operator or chemist? NOT A CONTRACTOR.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 8, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

*monkey-paw curls a finger* "You are now hourly."

A contract firm that my previous company worked with only provided benefits to their contractors while they were on the job. I don't mean "on a contract" either - I mean during work hours. It was one of a large array of probably-illegal terms and conditions that those contractors were subjected to, both by their actual company and us. Twisted your ankle at work? Covered. Fell off a ladder at home? Eat poo poo, your insurance won't pay. We also pulled the trucker dilemma on them (demand you drive only 8 hours per day, demand you stay at or below the speed limit, then give you more miles to drive than math says is possible while adhering to the other conditions. Fire you if you're late or pulled over, blame you for accidents, and fire you if you complain about it). Our version was hourly-max rates (40 hours per week max pay, no authorized OT) + projects too big to possibly complete if you only work 40 hours per week during your contract. So we'd end up paying you for 40 tops, while you worked 50-60.

That bullshit (even more than knowledge loss / brain drain) is why I am so completely loving anti-contract-worker now, when the rest of the industry is going the other direction. Need a plumber? CONTRACTOR. Need a building erected? CONTRACTOR. Need an equipment operator or chemist? NOT A CONTRACTOR.

Yes, but have you thought of the yacht that your investors could buy just by causing a little bit of abject misery?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

This week is an effective en masse return to work for most of our company since in oil the majority people will hit Thanksgiving and then just take six straight weeks off and everything slows to a crawl. In addition to the usual dread of just having things ramp up, I'm also in a lovely situation since the other architect on our team besides me passed away over the Christmas break. (Obvious preface so I don't sound like a sociopath: my "situation" pales in comparison--and in reality there IS no comparison--to that of his family and friends. I worked with the guy for over a decade and he was my boss at one time before I moved up and we became peers. Dude was probably only late 40s too, it's an awful thing to have happen to any family.)

He'd had medical issues off and on for years and I've never had a problem picking up the slack for him before, and was glad to do it to ease the burden. But I'm now facing the situation where my workload stands to double instantly. Has anyone been in a situation like this and have any advice on how to navigate it without seeming insensitive? I'm obviously not going to do this day one, but I absolutely need to have the conversation with my boss to say "you need to backfill that position NOW. Don't say that because of future budget cuts we're just going to let it sit open / eliminate it". The longer it goes as an open spot with me doing double duty, the more my sanity will start to fray . . .

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cael posted:

But I'm now facing the situation where my workload stands to double instantly. Has anyone been in a situation like this and have any advice on how to navigate it without seeming insensitive?

What do you mean "insensitive"? Your workload doubling is a failure of truck number on the company. Doubling someones work load isn't sustainable. I suggest you start right out by not sustaining it because if you do it's no longer an emergency for them.

This has nothing to do with respect or sensitivity for anyone other than yourself.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Motronic posted:

What do you mean "insensitive"? Your workload doubling is a failure of truck number on the company. Doubling someones work load isn't sustainable. I suggest you start right out by not sustaining it because if you do it's no longer an emergency for them.

This has nothing to do with respect or sensitivity for anyone other than yourself.

I mean, yes, it's not his fault, but if you don't want to antagonize your bosses or coworkers you might say you'll need some time to mourn your close friend and colleague and will be at reduced productivity for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cael posted:

This week is an effective en masse return to work for most of our company since in oil the majority people will hit Thanksgiving and then just take six straight weeks off and everything slows to a crawl. In addition to the usual dread of just having things ramp up, I'm also in a lovely situation since the other architect on our team besides me passed away over the Christmas break. (Obvious preface so I don't sound like a sociopath: my "situation" pales in comparison--and in reality there IS no comparison--to that of his family and friends. I worked with the guy for over a decade and he was my boss at one time before I moved up and we became peers. Dude was probably only late 40s too, it's an awful thing to have happen to any family.)

He'd had medical issues off and on for years and I've never had a problem picking up the slack for him before, and was glad to do it to ease the burden. But I'm now facing the situation where my workload stands to double instantly. Has anyone been in a situation like this and have any advice on how to navigate it without seeming insensitive? I'm obviously not going to do this day one, but I absolutely need to have the conversation with my boss to say "you need to backfill that position NOW. Don't say that because of future budget cuts we're just going to let it sit open / eliminate it". The longer it goes as an open spot with me doing double duty, the more my sanity will start to fray . . .

Are you simply afraid this is going to happen, or have they already told you that your workload is doubling? Because if it's the former then it may not end up being as bad as you think it will be. I'd first approach the conversation with your boss by asking what their plan is to fill the gap. From there, you can figure out your response is; I've been in situations where multiple people quit and the first thing my manager said to us after they were gone was, "obviously, the work we're doing is going to slow way down until we hire more people and train them." He handled the communication with the executives and planners and we didn't really have to worry about it; we certainly didn't have to go to him and give him a remedial education in worker math.

If your boss does have unreasonable expectations then you should gently correct them: you can't simply assume double the workload without the sacrificing the quality they've come to expect from you. Output is going to naturally slow until replacements are hired and settle in. Alas. You're certainly willing to work with him to re-evaluate priorities though!