Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Sally, drat it. Sally. I know you're trying to help and do the right thing, and that's admirable. But you have to let the patient pick their own their own therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does everyone know that the lyrics of the Defenders of the Earth opening theme were written by Stan Lee? The one thing he actually came up with entirely on his own and he didn’t even want to take credit for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He probably enjoyed writing for Mandrake, as he was a Mandrake fan as a kid.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:whoptc: Gil Thorp?!!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sigh. I mean an Oingo Boingo shirt would be hip but how could anyone suspect the writer of such songs like “I like little girls” would actually end up liking little girls.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hockey players famously wear short sleeves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does everyone know that the lyrics of the Defenders of the Earth opening theme were written by Stan Lee? The one thing he actually came up with entirely on his own and he didn’t even want to take credit for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nblpob8gyzs

Wait... Mandrake, Flash, Phantom, Lothar and the Planeteers teamed up to fight Ming and I'm only hearing about this now?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hockey players famously wear short sleeves.

Between the figure skates and the players wearing what seriously look like (American) football uniforms, I'm beginning to think the artist has never seen a hockey game in their life.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 8, 1911)

Not quite Krazy, but at least it's a Kat.

Baron Bean(January 7, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals()
tomorrow

Gasoline Alley(August 26, 1919)

At least they got away from the car for a bit.

Us Boys(July 15, 1911)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Between the figure skates and the players wearing what seriously look like (American) football uniforms, I'm beginning to think the artist has never seen a hockey game in their life.

Yeah I wasn't even going to comment on the pants, but that's a good point.

I partially suspect he was going to make a lacrosse comic but then decided to pivot to hockey for ~reasons~

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Cat 4 had me a bit worried there

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Please Just Stick To Posting Bodacious Wolf rear end I Cannot Emphasize How Little This Comic Needs To Turn Into Safe Havens Considering Where It's Already At

Not Bad, Could've Done Without The Punchline

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Wait... Mandrake, Flash, Phantom, Lothar and the Planeteers teamed up to fight Ming and I'm only hearing about this now?

Yeah man, they were DEFENDERS OF THE EARTH (DEFENDAS!).

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of DEFENDERS OF THE

EARTH-EARTH-EARTH-EARTH-EARTH

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing: timg'd for bathing nudity

She talks about it a bit more later in the context of bumping into things, but Uchida is showing a (IME) pretty standard Japanese child-rearing view here of “if I stop the cat from biting him he’ll never learn that cats can bite”. The fleas I have no excuse for.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 6, 2024

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

It's going to be a bitch to get to the engine

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I try to ignore Holbrook whenever his stuff gets posted (sorry, Hostile V, but please know that I appreciate the effort you put into posting regardless). He cheated here by not drawing the Tucker from the front.

From the back, it's like he's drawn just a random car in the style of a woody.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arbetor posted:

They never actually traveled by balloon in the book, so I don't know if this is written by someone that never read the book, or if its written by someone that saw a book with a balloon on the cover and then got really confused because it never happens. Judging by this being Macanudo and the typical twee bullshit happening, I'm guessing the former.

It's not the first time he's done this, so I don't think he's actually ever read it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=531535706

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Now that's a drat weird car.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/7-9/52

Archie 3/7-9/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 10/31/76

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Julet Esqu posted:

LET HER FIND HER OWN.

Yeesh, she may be an rear end in a top hat about it, but the woman can not possibly be any more clear about what she wants.
She will not find one on her own. She doesn't want to address her issues, she wants to keep using her family as an emotional punching bag. Block her number and let her rot.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves
This story is honestly taking a very nonsensical turn.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:lol:

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 6, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

El Chavo did cry weird and high pitched! It was a running gag w/ all the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQrFJSAM1A

like one piece laughs but cries

i love this show but i dont know if its possible to go back if you didnt grow up watching it

Oh that's the Stan Laurel bit

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 22-23, 2004)

Merry belated Christmas, thread.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

I haven't thanked you yet for posting Modesty Blaise again! Always one of my favorite strips. I actually have the collection this story appears in and here is O'Donnell's introduction to it (mostly spoiler'd for potential plot details).

Peter O'Donnell posted:

I can't recall any particular trigger for this story, but reading it now, it feels as if I set out to have a light-hearted opening with Modesty being thoroughly disconcerted. It's hard to think of any situation that would throw her off-balance, but I hope the one I dreamed up for her back in 1972 fits the bill. It's certainly a new experience for her.

As always, the story couldn't stay light-hearted for long, and as always I needed to find an arena where the final mayhem could take place without the police or public getting in the way. Here I was lucky, for the site that occurred to me was ideal. It lay a couple of miles out to sea and was familiar to me because it was visible from the house my parents had on the Kent coast. I'd seen it many times and, in fact, there wasn't just one of them, but several. Landing on any of them was an offence and you could be fined for it, but I don't think that would scare Modesty, Willie, or the villains off.

I hired a boat and crew and spent half a day at sea taking long shots and close-ups for Romero. So what you see when you come to that part of the story is the real thing. Incidentally, the weather was great and the sea was calm, so it wasn't a bad way of getting through a hard morning's work.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
lol pwned

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Hwurmp posted:

I can't believe Planck Oh is loving dead

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:kingsley:

POST MORE

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:vince:

PLAAAANNNCCCKKKKKKK

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Planck... :ohdear: When Maggie asked him to let her husband win, I wasn't expecting Planck to interpret it as getting Copper Ma to murder him.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

:lol:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Bats again.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Phantom shot old man Mozz. Finally.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like Ziggy.

Arbetor posted:

They never actually traveled by balloon in the book, so I don't know if this is written by someone that never read the book, or if its written by someone that saw a book with a balloon on the cover and then got really confused because it never happens. Judging by this being Macanudo and the typical twee bullshit happening, I'm guessing the former.
Liniers is absolutely one of those people who fetishise books but never actually read anything. They'll have extremely strong (negative) feelings about ebooks and book art and proudly tell you that they reread Little Women or Lord of the Rings at least once a year. I have known a number of these people and they are exactly Macanudo's target audience.

Bruceski posted:

Those aren't the Planeteers, they're the four heroes' kids/sidekicks.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mousetrapped, starring a strategically unnamed cartoon rodent (and featuring a very specific legal disclaimer).

[https://mousetrappedcomic.blog/post/738571881854238720/mousetrapped-4-an-ear-to-bend]Ub as in Iwerks[/url].

Our Boarding House (February 5-7, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 6, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 20-22, 1922)

THE LITTLE SCORPIONS CLUB: It begins to look as if the Club might have to change its rule against women members and take in Tomboy Taylor as a measure of self defense.

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Mr. Wilkins, the garden enthusiast, was driving in the front gate when he spied a neighbor's chicken in his garden and seized the opportunity to run it down.

THE TERRIBLE-TEMPERED MR. BANG ON THE GOLF LINKS: Every spring until they open the regular putting greens Mr. Bang has recurrent fits of what you might call Temporary Greens Insanity.

Dok's Dippy Pavillion (January 26, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 21-23, 1939)

Gossip columnist Louella Parsons was one of the most feared figures in Hollywood during her peak years of 1935-50. And yeah, she did get paid for that; her column appeared in up to 400 newspapers worldwide.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 6, 2024

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Family Circus looks weird today.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Bats again.

Bats are an important part of the ecosystem and are having a rough time due to habitat loss and human fear and are actually pretty cool little dudes, but it's cool Jules. Keep telling us about how they all have rabies and are just out hunting for unsuspecting humans to infect.

(Yeah, they can carry rabies, so bat safety is important, especially if they're rolling around on the ground in the daytime like this one was, but this is the second character to TOTALLY GET RABIES FROM A BAT in the last couple of days (strip time) and it's a bit weird and alarmist.)

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It might take him a few years, but when Mozz comes he comes hard.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Ball pops straight up, lands in Planck's glove while he's twitching in the dirt, bleeding for the final out.

DEMONS WIN!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

next up, the FINAL CHAPTER of demons of baseball: Copper Ma avoids a life sentence for murdering with baseball, but his entire life is ruined forever

reached for comment he had this to say: HA HA HA