Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Super Smash Bros 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Scuba Trooper posted:

Split compact looks cool for handheld but if you also want wireless as an option, I'll proselytize the NYXI Hyperion (or the Wizard if you want a GameCube layout, but that only works well for some games IMO)

Nitro Deck I hear horror stories of loving up USB stuff (in this very thread iirc)
I remember otter mentioning how the Retroflag grip killed their USB, but I don't remember anyone saying they had that problem with the Nitro Deck:

otter posted:

The retroflag one twice killed the usb control / Ethernet on my switch so I’ll likely never put the switch back into it.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Ahhh, I got 'em mixed up!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I also really like the nitro deck. Even more so when I figured out there's a tiny button on the back which you can use to dim the light of the home button.

The vibration on it is not awesome though. I turned it off when my wife got all snippy about the buzzing while I was playing Arceus.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have vibration turned off at a system level on everything I own (with the exception of haptic feedback on the Steam Deck, it's necessary for using the trackpads), so the Hori Split Pad Pros work great for me.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

I've been looking at Backpack Hero lately, but I hear there are some significant bugs on the Switch, including one that can erase your save data. Has anyone run into this? Have there been any patches to address it?

Last I saw they were working on it, I like the game overall but it runs pretty badly in places on the switch version. I would wait until they fix the poss save file deleting bug first.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I did a complete shell swap along with the stick replacement and this is the video I followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymBbKWzL1vg

If you just wanna swap the sticks and use the same shell it's an even quicker process. Watch it and see if you think it's something you can do

Welp I tore the ribbon cable when pulling out the battery case :smith:

Worth a try, now I guess I'll have to start using my OLED switch joycons :shrug:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Evil Badman posted:

I like it, and I like the split compact more. Less bulky.

I love my Compact, even if my Switch on the go doesn't fit the case I got anymore.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

otter posted:

I also really like the nitro deck. Even more so when I figured out there's a tiny button on the back which you can use to dim the light of the home button.

The vibration on it is not awesome though. I turned it off when my wife got all snippy about the buzzing while I was playing Arceus.

Have you updated the firmware? It now has different vibration levels so you can lower it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

loudog999 posted:

Have you updated the firmware? It now has different vibration levels so you can lower it.

Now why would I go about doing a reasonable thing like that.
I’m beating the snot out of buizels in Arceus. Punching my poke cards.
Using Rollout like I was Ludacris.

Updated the firmware but not sure how to adjust the vibration. I think there’s an app or something but it’s 2:30 am and I can’t force myself to care enough to stay awake.

otter fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 6, 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Morpheus posted:

I've been looking at Backpack Hero lately, but I hear there are some significant bugs on the Switch, including one that can erase your save data. Has anyone run into this? Have there been any patches to address it?

I haven't encountered anything, just town menu slowdown when the game runs too long (though town menus are kinda laggy in general). Another goon had issues with their saves being deleted though, so YMMV. No clue if it's been patched yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the Ave Attorney series

I've got to prove this very silly man did not kill someone!

*Walks into court*

*Four hours later, every major crime in the last ten years has been disproven, the real culprits of seven separate cases have been revealed, and the entire judicial system has been torn to shreds because a dog in a photograph was the wrong color*

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've got to prove this very silly man did not kill someone!

*Walks into court*

*Four hours later, every major crime in the last ten years has been disproven, the real culprits of seven separate cases have been revealed, and the entire judicial system has been torn to shreds because a dog in a photograph was the wrong color*

I know it's just a typo, but you reminded me that there's a similar game called Aviary Attorney that you might like. :v: Recommendation in no way biased. Why would you think that?

It has a very different vibe and you absolutely can fail cases if you faff around enough, but it's definitely worth consideration. And it's even on Switch!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

otter posted:

Now why would I go about doing a reasonable thing like that.
I’m beating the snot out of buizels in Arceus. Punching my poke cards.
Using Rollout like I was Ludacris.

Updated the firmware but not sure how to adjust the vibration. I think there’s an app or something but it’s 2:30 am and I can’t force myself to care enough to stay awake.

There’s a manual next to the firmware download link. Going from memory I think it’s hold down + and l for a couple seconds then use + and - to adjust the vibration. Then you have to repeat with + and r to do the other side.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They should re-release the Layton games on switch or pc

I love em all, very cozy games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Silver Falcon posted:

I know it's just a typo, but you reminded me that there's a similar game called Aviary Attorney that you might like. :v: Recommendation in no way biased. Why would you think that?

It has a very different vibe and you absolutely can fail cases if you faff around enough, but it's definitely worth consideration. And it's even on Switch!

Looking at the reviews, it sounds like you can fall the investigation part, like it's on a limited time and if you interview the wrong people or don't find the right evidence then you can't win a case and essentially have to start over.

That sounds really frustrating, I hate feeling like I've wasted my time. And in a game like this I want to talk to everybody.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Looking at the reviews, it sounds like you can fall the investigation part, like it's on a limited time and if you interview the wrong people or don't find the right evidence then you can't win a case and essentially have to start over.

That sounds really frustrating, I hate feeling like I've wasted my time. And in a game like this I want to talk to everybody.

on the flip side (and it's also not on the Switch but w/e a Chromebook could run it), there's Attorney of the Arcane which puts a fantasy/magic spin on the AA formula in a really well-integrated way and it's basically impossible to fail so i'd give that a shot if you're interested

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

I've often wondered about the Harvey birdman Wii game, despite never watching the show

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Worth a try, now I guess I'll have to start using my OLED switch joycons :shrug:

:smith: aww sorry dude.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

otter posted:

I’m not sold on mine yet. I think the right stick placement is off a bit. I need to put more time into it but I’m not completely sold on it yet.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

WHY BONER NOW posted:

and now you will never tear another ribbon again, congratulations

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

smrpg is $48 at walmart right now.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Beaten by hours on the typo but:
Marcus Tullius Cicero: Ave Attorney

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

symbolic posted:

on the flip side (and it's also not on the Switch but w/e a Chromebook could run it), there's Attorney of the Arcane which puts a fantasy/magic spin on the AA formula in a really well-integrated way and it's basically impossible to fail so i'd give that a shot if you're interested

That one is also on my list!

Also I admit i never finished Aviary Attorney myself. I hosed up. Bad. And got the Edgeworth analogue shot in the dang head. :v: Haven't gone back to try again.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Meowywitch posted:

They should re-release the Layton games on switch or pc

I love em all, very cozy games

I can't believe we are getting a Touch Detective compilation before Layton. not that I'm complaining too much

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not sold on mine yet. I think the right stick placement is off a bit. I need to put more time into it but I’m not completely sold on it yet.

For what it's worth, Jeff Gerstmann absolutely tore Nitro Deck a new one. He apparently hates it. He talked about it on the most recent episode of his podcast.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ramie posted:

I can't believe we are getting a Touch Detective compilation before Layton. not that I'm complaining too much

I FORGOT ABOUT THAT THAT'S BASED

Are we getting the unlocalized third title as well?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

looks like it's the first time it's getting localized, yes! it also has some extra content only found in the mobile phone version of the Touch Detective games

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Are we getting the unlocalized third title as well?

Yup! It's literally being sold as Touch Detective 3. https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/touch-detective-3-plus-the-complete-case-files-switch/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know it was the Holidays but drat Nintendo has taken 20 days to get a game to me. Ordered on the 20th. Every day it's scheduled to be here (but doesn't arrive then the scheduled to arrive date changes up by a day). Checked the details and it'll finally be here on the 8th or 9th.

Ordered on the 20th and it didn't even ship to the 29th lol

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BonoMan posted:

I know it was the Holidays but drat Nintendo has taken 20 days to get a game to me. Ordered on the 20th. Every day it's scheduled to be here (but doesn't arrive then the scheduled to arrive date changes up by a day). Checked the details and it'll finally be here on the 8th or 9th.

Ordered on the 20th and it didn't even ship to the 29th lol

You ordered a physical game directly from Nintendo?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Digital wins again

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Is the Torna DLC worth playing for XBC 2? How long is it?

I’m slowly getting towards the end of XBC 2 and I’m trying to decide if I should do the DLC or go straight into XBC 3. I’m enjoying XBC 2 a lot, but the clunky menus and the field skill stuff is starting to get on my nerves.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's good, and interesting if you are really interested in the lore and history of Alrest, but ultimately towards the plot of the series overall I think fairly skippable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Touch Dic

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

maybeadracula posted:

You ordered a physical game directly from Nintendo?

Yeah they had a good holiday deal on the sports with leg strap game that wasn't getting matched elsewhere.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Agrias120 posted:

Is the Torna DLC worth playing for XBC 2? How long is it?

I’m slowly getting towards the end of XBC 2 and I’m trying to decide if I should do the DLC or go straight into XBC 3. I’m enjoying XBC 2 a lot, but the clunky menus and the field skill stuff is starting to get on my nerves.

It's good, and interesting if you are really interested in the lore and history of Alrest, but ultimately towards the plot of the series overall I think fairly skippable.

FWIW my little brother is really into the XBC games, and he said he really got a lot out of Torna. He got me XBC2 and the DLC for christmas, and said actually playing Torna first will dramatically impact how you see XBC2's main story.

I still need to beat XBC1 though...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah yeah, playing it first actually would be pretty rad.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for the replies! I might pick it up and see how I like it before trying XBC 3. My only real concern is that while I think the world of Alrest is neat, I mostly care about the characters. And I'm guessing the DLC only features Mythra and maybe Brigid from the main team. I'm guessing Jin is featured prominently but he feels kind of lame as a villain to me, so I don't know if I'd be into exploring with him.

Does the DLC have more gacha Blade stuff? Because if so I think I'll definitely skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No ask the characters in the dlc are determinate