Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1743324376479486007

Chris Skidmore had announced he was going to step down at the next election, but he's now forced a by-election

He's resigning due to new licenses being issued for oil and gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Guardian right now, weakly clucking that Starmer needs to be doing a bunch of stuff that they know perfectly well isn't gonna happen:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looks like he's dropped his dart in the first picture

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sebzilla posted:

Looks like he's dropped his dart in the first picture

"And this is how much I give a poo poo about what the Guardian thinks."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Keith doing his Italian Chef meme impression for the audience and getting it wrong.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

.... Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen ...

When you buy a poor clone of Timothee Chalamet off of Wish.com.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
New Bob Vylan, don't think those Bailiffs are acting lawfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypJJCsNKdA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I've got some bad news about the Habsburgs, they don't need AI to bring them to life, Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg-Lothringen is a racing driver & heir to the dynasty.

Is he the one who has opinions on anime and warhammer

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel there's potential in combining these two but I'm halfway through D&D and my laptop isn't on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel there's potential in combining these two but I'm halfway through D&D and my laptop isn't on.

crikey and the UKMT is only at the half-way point?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm giving myself even more brain damage by reading everything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/CSkidmoreUK/status/1743324376479486007

Chris Skidmore had announced he was going to step down at the next election, but he's now forced a by-election

He's resigning due to new licenses being issued for oil and gas

Doesn't say he's quitting as an MP though? I think it means he'll just sit as an independent until the next GE rather than force a by-election?

VVVV - I stand corrected!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 5, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Doesn't say he's quitting as an MP though? I think it means he'll just sit as an independent until the next GE rather than force a by-election?

The media are all saying he's resigning as an MP. I didn't actually read any of his wall of text, but his tweet came up when the news broke about his resignation

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1743329924008517868

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks everyone. She’s been to the vets and they said her teeth, throat and heart seem fine, and her heart’s really healthy. Hopefully it’s just an infection or something. Blood tests on Monday but I’m gonna go home tomorrow to see her just in case. Apparently she enjoyed most of a jam sandwich after her vet visit so that’s good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hope for many jam sandwiches in the future.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fuctifino posted:

The media are all saying he's resigning as an MP. I didn't actually read any of his wall of text, but his tweet came up when the news broke about his resignation

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1743329924008517868

lol, maybe they're trying to manifest

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You forced me to read his wall of text. Yup, he's resigning asap as an MP

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

You forced me to read his wall of text. Yup, he's resigning asap as an MP

OK I missed that bit.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He did waffle a lot, so it wasn't you. I had to go through it twice before that paragraph jumped out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1743349530911821968

You are on £86k a year. That's just under five grand a month after taxes. That's not even including bribes, second jobs (Bribes), expenses or your rich rear end husband's pay packet. How can you say this poo poo and expect to be treated seriously about wanting to run the economy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think you're missing the more worrying takeaway, which is that Labour are happy to treat GBeebies as if they're a legitimate channel.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1743349530911821968

You are on £86k a year. That's just under five grand a month after taxes. That's not even including bribes, second jobs (Bribes), expenses or your rich rear end husband's pay packet. How can you say this poo poo and expect to be treated seriously about wanting to run the economy.

Between her and her husband they’re on about a quarter of a million a year

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tired: The economy is like a household budget

Wired: The economy is like a household budget and I loving suck at that too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

grobbo posted:

UKMT-ers who've undergone the miracle of British birth in the past couple of years - what was your experience like, anything to watch out for, and any advice or tips on getting through the process intact and safe?

My partner's newly pregnant (hooray!) but we keep hearing horror stories from our friends about how much worse things have got in maternity wards since the start of the pandemic, and as she's a woman of colour I'm spending a lot of time worrying about the exponentially increased chance of her dying due to something that the NHS politely describes as 'unconscious empathy bias' amongst healthcare professionals.

I was just reading our nearest hospital's google reviews, and there's a one-star story from a woman who was waiting in a supported-standing position with nobody checking in on her. Her partner kept pushing the buzzer as her baby unexpectedly started to crown but nobody came to help - so he had to catch the baby and prevent it from hitting the floor.

Finally the midwife showed up, promptly lied on the notes that she'd been in the room the entire time, and then forgot to do any of the post-natal checks.

So I'm feeling good right now, very positive.

Sadly, I think it comes down to the hospital you go to to be honest. Ours were born at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary 2 years ago and last summer and the only major quibble we had was waiting in an uncomfortable room for 5 hours while we waited for a bed the second time round.

That was pure luck though. The couple who had the initial appointment before us ended up getting the last bed within half an hour of showing up.

Midwives are mixed too. You'll generally get slightly varying advice as each one will have had slightly different experience due to babies being very different.

The tricky thing is that all babies are different so it's hard to be perfectly prepared, though there are some things you can try and plan for.

In the first hour or two the baby needs fed and the midwives will try and get them to latch on for breast feeding. Babies are dumb though and this is pretty difficult for them. As a result this can feel very stressful, especially for mum because you'll be wanting the baby to not be hungry.

Midwives should help with this, but the important thing is to try not stressing out about it as it'll usually happen eventually and the hospital has bottles of formula if needed. The baby will get fed.

Another thing you can try and prep for is the first night at home. After a few days in hospital you'll start to get an idea if your baby is a decent sleeper or not.

At the hospital there's help, at home it's you and the Mrs. So if you know you've got a bit of a restless sleeper try and get a nap or something in during the day so that one of you can have the energy to stay up through the night.

We weren't prepped for that with our first and when we brought him home, we basically went 48 hours without sleep because he wouldn't go down when we were getting to our usual bed time.

Generally babies are different and like slightly different things even at 0 months old
After 2 now, all I'd really add is to try and set up your home to cut down on physical effort because you'll be tired. So things like keeping a couple of bibs and muslin in every room, keeping a moses basket downstairs and upstairs so you can pop the baby down when it's starting to fall asleep, keeping your nappy drawer topped up, etc.

Maybe even look into a bottle prep machine because 2 minutes to make a bottle for a screaming baby vs the 15 odd minutes to do it faffing about with a kettle and/or bottle warmer really does reduce the stress.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Maybe even look into a bottle prep machine because 2 minutes to make a bottle for a screaming baby vs the 15 odd minutes to do it faffing about with a kettle and/or bottle warmer really does reduce the stress.

You can get ready to go bottled milk. Some even come ready with teats. It's a lifesaver when the baby is screaming, mom's exhausted and the little monkey refuses to latch on.

Also despite all the benefits of breast feeding its ok to mix in some formula at the beginning especially when mom's isn't producing much and/or is too exhausted. Some midwives verge on guilt-tripping new mom's into breast feeding exclusively (and they feel like poo poo when it doesn't work out perfectly) which is a bit iffy IMO.

We had a bottle warmer but barely used it (son didn't like formula past the first few weeks) - it was generally easier to blast the milk for short bursts in the microwave. 5-10s at a time and keep testing it.

Also was always leery of the automatic milk machines because of all the uncleanable innards. Too much like a coffee or milkshake machine for my liking. There were some odd reports of food poisoning from them which is not something you want a newborn to have.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

30p Lee telling three schoolchildren he could make their lunches for less than a quid.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1743390006318596425

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"there's a bogey in there that you could kill a man with"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Hope for many jam sandwiches in the future.

Actually you don't want your dog eating jam sandwiches.

A lot of jams have pectin in them, which is often made from grapes. And grapes (like raisins) are really bad for dogs.
Plus the high sugar content is really not good for doggy tummy's.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I suspect this person is not 35 years old.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think he wants to go back to America

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I stand with Wayne, send those Germanic road signs back where they came from, only Celtic road signs in MY Britain

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Won't rest until I get me blue driving licence to match me passport

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nice Rangers supporter, no true Scot there. :lol:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
no potlitlical correct wheelie bins no weird lite bulbs proper paper tax discs just want me country back

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This video just appeared on my feed

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1743211091973296552

He's like a constantly deflating wet fart. He's going to be our leader soon :toot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

no potlitlical correct wheelie bins no weird lite bulbs proper paper tax discs just want me country back
No scary forrin paintins with clocks and elephants melting all over the place just nice ones like with the horse cart going in the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I wanna bring back the real British culture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Beaker_culture

That's real tradition