Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

withoutclass posted:

Have you considered living in the real world?!

Absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

You make some good points but you have to do all this to send a text too, right? Minus the app part:

You get their phone number
Create a profile
Fill out the profile
Text in your text app

The only "extra" is to download the app which takes seconds. WhatsApp and Signal both automatically add contacts from your address book, just like your texting app does. I don't know what "create a pin" means so I'm ignoring it.

To send a text I just need their phone number. I put it in the to: field and I send them a message. They don't have to make a profile, fill out that profile, or create a pin (security pin to get into the app).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

To send a text I just need their phone number. I put it in the to: field and I send them a message. They don't have to make a profile, fill out that profile, or create a pin (security pin to get into the app).

That's true. I guess I would only text people I'd know, so I'd create a profile for them.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

bull3964 posted:

You tell them to:

Download the app
Register their phone number
Fill out their profile
Create a pin
Then add the contact all so that they can exchange messages with someone who already has a native way to exchange messages that's already setup.

That's the process for almost any app out there and it's not difficult.

I use Signal to gain some privacy back, but I've pushed it as a much better way to text in a group that doesn't give random people double texts or compress videos down to 2009 video quality and people tend to get intrigued by that.

People download so many garbage stupid apps that asking them to download one which has some actual utility is hardly a burden to them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alan_Shore posted:

You make some good points but you have to do all this to send a text too, right? Minus the app part:

You get their phone number
Create a profile
Fill out the profile
Text in your text app

The only "extra" is to download the app which takes seconds. WhatsApp and Signal both automatically add contacts from your address book, just like your texting app does. I don't know what "create a pin" means so I'm ignoring it.

I'm talking about setting up a Signal account in the first place. All that comes before adding any contacts. The situation was if someone wanted to message you and you were like "I'm on signal" and they never heard about it before. The PIN is used to recover a Signal account. You have to go through the process of setting up your account first before you can then add this new person as a contact so you can message.

Blurb3947 posted:

That's the process for almost any app out there and it's not difficult.

Yeah, but it's not because you already have a built in and setup messaging app in your SMS/MMS client. There isn't any setup involved in talking to someone new.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 6, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Setting up a pin in signal is faster than me typing that you have to set up a pin.

But yes, it's definitely more work than using your inbuilt sms app

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Right but SMS is garbage and antiquated. Not to mention insecure, unreliable for groups and platforms, and you can't even send a gif

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Like I said, it's about friction.

You meet someone for the first time and the first thing you do when you try to exchange contact information is try to sell them on a message option they probably never heard of before?

Sure, if something else is the defacto standard then it isn't weird. Otherwise the conversation is just going to end at "I'll just text you, it's easier."

Blurb3947 posted:

Right but SMS is garbage and antiquated. Not to mention insecure, unreliable for groups and platforms, and you can't even send a gif

Keep fighting the good fight but the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 6, 2024

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blurb3947 posted:

I've been telling my family this for years, but they just don't care. SMS/MMS (plus iMessage for the two or three with iPhones) works well enough for them that I just get left out of a lot of conversations in my cell signal black hole (SMS over wifi works fine on Mint Mobile, bit for whatever reason MMS only sends or receives on cell signal).

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Adding someone via phone number to the contacts app will let you know if they have it already or when they create an account on Signal.

hooah posted:

I've been telling my family this for years, but they just don't care. SMS/MMS (plus iMessage for the two or three with iPhones) works well enough for them that I just get left out of a lot of conversations in my cell signal black hole (SMS over wifi works fine on Mint Mobile, bit for whatever reason MMS only sends or receives on cell signal).

Hey I had that exact same issue on Mint a few years ago. Tbf they never said MMS would work via WiFi!!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, I would never use signal because they don't support multiple mobile devices (or Android tablets).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alan_Shore posted:

I don't know what "create a pin" means so I'm ignoring it.

Plate or platter?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I and my closest friends use Steam messenger because, well, we always have and it's convenient enough and reliab- well it's convenient enough.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"Why are there so many new posts in the android thread, something big happen?"

*Checks thread*

JFC.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

hooah posted:

Lol gently caress the US is so bad at telecoms

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

AlexDeGruven posted:

*Checks thread*

JFC.

I retired my buttons a while ago but this would make for a good thread title

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

in other news, it's so cold my pixel can't measure the temp of my jacket surface

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Found out the hard way that if I'm in a call on Google Voice (on my phone), and I switch to another app, that person can't hear me.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Keep fighting the good fight but the vast majority of people don't give a poo poo.

It's not the vast majority of people though. It's just America. The rest of the world is on the WhatsApp train

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

"Why are there so many new posts in the android thread, something big happen?"

*Checks thread*

JFC.

Mr. Mercury posted:

I retired my buttons a while ago but this would make for a good thread title

Done.

If people want to argue about texting/SMS/MMS/iMessage crap then start another thread for it. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

I understand Android news has been kind of slow lately, but this circular slapfight is tedious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edit:

I replied before I saw the bit above.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Alan_Shore posted:

It's not the vast majority of people though. It's just America. The rest of the world is on the WhatsApp train

WhatsApp is popular in Europe but it doesn't encompass the rest of the world, other apps are the standard in Asia. I don't know the specifics in say, South America or Africa but I wouldn't be surprised if they had their own local flavors there.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Done.

If people want to argue about texting/SMS/MMS/iMessage crap then start another thread for it. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

I understand Android news has been kind of slow lately, but this circular slapfight is tedious.

It does feel like we’re circling the wagon until Samsung’s event.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Capisano posted:

I got this one off Amazon and it works well, half the price of the Motorola one.

Ended up getting this (well, an identical one from another brand that Amazon had locally, you know how it is) and it works an absolute treat, thank you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think wireless Android Auto adapters aren't as well known as they should be - it really is a nice quality of life improvement. Motorola phones are a dumpster fire, but the Motorola AA wireless adapter has been working great for me over the last year.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

isndl posted:

WhatsApp is popular in Europe but it doesn't encompass the rest of the world, other apps are the standard in Asia. I don't know the specifics in say, South America or Africa but I wouldn't be surprised if they had their own local flavors there.

In my experience, Central and South America like WhatsApp.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Speaking of Android Auto and adapters, does anyone have familiarity with aftermarket Android Auto devices for cars that didn't come with it? I've been seeing articles that read more like advertisements for the things, but not a lot of details and doing a lot of research myself has been :effort:. This was the most recent one I saw, that prompted the question: https://www.androidpolice.com/android-auto-mesay-folding-touchscreen-deal-stacksocial/

The main thing I wonder is how these things connect to the car's existing stereo, and how well they pick up voice for calls and commands and such. My partner's car is too old to have come with AA, and if a device like this could add it then it seems like it could be a nice gift.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is the pixel 5 officially no longer receiving software updates? The google site says guaranteed updates ended October 2023. My phone last got an update in November. I am assuming there will be no more but I sort of expected some sort of notice about it. The wording of the google site certainly doesn't preclude them from continuing...

Anyway, assuming this phone is basically ded software wise, does anyone have a strong opinion on the zenfone 10 versus pixel 8? They are both €700. The pixel surely has a better camera but I mainly use a real one. It also supports esim but then esim.me exists. The zenfone is a wee bit smaller and doesn't have the dumb camera bar and I am tempted to try something new :shrug:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

other people posted:

Is the pixel 5 officially no longer receiving software updates? The google site says guaranteed updates ended October 2023. My phone last got an update in November. I am assuming there will be no more but I sort of expected some sort of notice about it. The wording of the google site certainly doesn't preclude them from continuing...

Anyway, assuming this phone is basically ded software wise, does anyone have a strong opinion on the zenfone 10 versus pixel 8? They are both €700. The pixel surely has a better camera but I mainly use a real one. It also supports esim but then esim.me exists. The zenfone is a wee bit smaller and doesn't have the dumb camera bar and I am tempted to try something new :shrug:

Pixel 5 is highly unlikely to receive any more updates, major or security. According to this page the Zenfone 10 will get up to 4 years of security updates https://zentalk.asus.com/t5/zenfone-10/update-policy-how-long-will-the-zenfone-10-be-getting-security/td-p/386480, while the Pixel 8 will get 7 years of major and security updates (I'm doubtful of Google living up to this).

I can't tell you which device is actually "better", just point you to YouTube phone reviewers and you'll have to take their opinions for what you think they're worth. Personally I'd probably get the ASUS, but I have a history of making bad decisions.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Asus isn't like samsung, is it? Do they have an asus email app and asus calendar app and asus photos app and phone app and poo poo you can't get rid of?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nope, their OS is pretty clean. It's about as close as you can get to a Pixel without Pixel features.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pixel 5 is highly unlikely to receive any more updates, major or security. According to this page the Zenfone 10 will get up to 4 years of security updates https://zentalk.asus.com/t5/zenfone-10/update-policy-how-long-will-the-zenfone-10-be-getting-security/td-p/386480, while the Pixel 8 will get 7 years of major and security updates (I'm doubtful of Google living up to this).

I can't tell you which device is actually "better", just point you to YouTube phone reviewers and you'll have to take their opinions for what you think they're worth. Personally I'd probably get the ASUS, but I have a history of making bad decisions.

Has Google not honored their update claims on previous pixels? Or is this just "haha Google gives up on things"? Because that wouldn't be relevant unless Google suddenly decides to ditch the entire Pixel line.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

Has Google not honored their update claims on previous pixels? Or is this just "haha Google gives up on things"? Because that wouldn't be relevant unless Google suddenly decides to ditch the entire Pixel line.

The latter. They've honored their update polices so far, but Google has a track record of canceling and/or backing out on things (take the Pixel Pass thing for example). It's my own personal cynicism that they won't live up to it, but I may also end up pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Just to further explain my cynicism is Apple, who is often praised for their device support longevity, has only ever provided as many as 6 major OS upgrades to any iPhone, and usually the last one or two upgrades shouldn't have happened because of hits to device performance. The iPad Air 2 got 8 OS upgrades and absolutely shouldn't have gotten those last two. I just find it hard to believe that Google will somehow manage to do better than that with device support, even if the Pixel 8 series are the only ones to ever get that long of a support promise. Perhaps Android is more flexible than OEMs have led us to believe with their excuses for cutting device support, and a Pixel 8 will run just fine in 2030 on Android 21, but I seriously have my doubts on Google, or really any other OEM, living up to these claims when Apple can't even do it for their "tightly integrated hardware and software "

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 6, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apple isn't doing it because they don't want to.

See also the rate at which they are abandoning Intel based Macs.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any recommendations for a Bluetooth car speaker/mic for use with an iPhone?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 6, 2024

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

See also the rate at which they are abandoning Intel based Macs.
huh? if you bought a macbook pro in 2018 you've gotten six os updates so far

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I have a 2013 MacBook pro that is on the latest MacOS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

huh? if you bought a macbook pro in 2018 you've gotten six os updates so far

The number of years that Macs are supported has dropped in recent years. Post 2017 Macs are only going to get around 6.3 years of OS updates and that's pretty drat poor compared to the capability of the hardware. For example, the 2017 Macbook Air was left behind with the latest MacOS update and security updates are likely to end later this year. I have an XPS15 that turns 9 this year and will keep getting updates until MS ceases Windows 10 support in 2025. Hell, even Google has updated the AUE for Chromebooks to 10 years last year and made it retroactive to include models back to 2021. There's also the issue that Apple tends to reduce coverage of CVEs on older OSs when they move in to the security update phase of support.

One would hope that with the M series of chips they will at least squeeze out a decade of OS support for those models, but no such commitment has been made so far.

Apple can do a lot more across the board to support their products, especially with the control that they have, but they choose not to. Apple doesn't even make a specific commitment to OS updates on any of their hardware.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have a 2013 MacBook pro that is on the latest MacOS.

Not officially you don't.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 6, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As someone who did a lot of tech support during the rollout of OS X, and remembers Steve Jobs swearing that Apple would never use Intel processors, my skepticism around Apple support has deep roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The number of years that Macs are supported has dropped in recent years. Post 2017 Macs are only going to get around 6.3 years of OS updates and that's pretty drat poor compared to the capability of the hardware. For example, the 2017 Macbook Air was left behind with the latest MacOS update and security updates are likely to end later this year. I have an XPS15 that turns 9 this year and will keep getting updates until MS ceases Windows 10 support in 2025. Hell, even Google has updated the AUE for Chromebooks to 10 years last year and made it retroactive to include models back to 2021. There's also the issue that Apple tends to reduce coverage of CVEs on older OSs when they move in to the security update phase of support.

One would hope that with the M series of chips they will at least squeeze out a decade of OS support for those models, but no such commitment has been made so far.

Apple can do a lot more across the board to support their products, especially with the control that they have, but they choose not to. Apple doesn't even make a specific commitment to OS updates on any of their hardware.

Not officially you don't.

I don't do anything unofficial with it. Just let auto update run.