Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

skooma512 posted:

People will tell you Desktop Support is a foot in the door. I suppose it is. However 1. You will likely never be able to advance beyond that role in any company no matter what you try 2. You need specific experience in specific things to qualify for specific jobs. Desktop will not qualify you for any higher work than Desktop. I don't know what step 2 even is for this career, I've been doing this for 10 years, it's a dead end job lmao. I got an MS Azure cert in August and will have to leave my current job in May, so that when I'll see if escape from desktop is possible or not.

For me it was getting away from just help desk/phones and more endpoint engineering. Building the images, app/patch deployment, identity (AD and Okta). With these roles you get exposure to the tools/platforms: sccm/intune, wsus, AD/GPO, azure etc. from there you hop across to sysadmin/wintel since the tools are the same. Or go cybersec ops or network. You can also get admin rights to apps/platforms to provide support for end users like SharePoint, learn how to build solutions to business processes using lists/forms/workflows, then you move into app support which is more tier 2 ime.

Bald Stalin has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bald Stalin posted:

For me it was getting away from just help desk/phones and more endpoint engineering. Building the images, app/patch deployment, identity (AD and Okta). With these roles you get exposure to the tools/platforms: sccm/intune, wsus, AD/GPO, azure etc. from there you hop across to sysadmin/wintel since the tools are the same. Or go cybersec ops or network.

I'd love to do that, but I get into a loop of "Didn't do the thing, isn't qualified to do the thing, will never be allowed to perform thing-doing". All these people work from home, so I can't network with them or get any mentoring. My last job before the pandemic, they had their special boy that they were training for this, and nobody else could participate. I would have to learn the whole enchilada by myself with no access to a real environment, just to hear I have no experience and thus will never be allowed to get any because I do not have it already.

That's the wall I keep hitting. If it was just "sit at your desk and do the work and eventually you will learn enough" that's one thing, but the "you have to convince someone to give you real training/a job" is where I get stopped. I actually asked an Azure person here directly for mentoring after they gave a presentation and specifically said they were welcome to this, and got no replies. When I go to apply for Azure jobs, I'll have nothing to tell them despite working in a place that uses it because they did not give me the time of loving day.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 02:15 on Jan 5, 2024

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sorry that your workplace sucks. It probably doesn't help if you're in an area with limited opportunities to change employer. Your only option is to build virtual labs at home using Filez, teach yourself, lie on your resume a bit about some experience and look elsewhere.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oysters Autobio posted:

getting medical advice from a dying forum, great idea :thumbsup:

tread carefully...

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I started my computer toucher career answering phones doing almost nothing but resetting passwords for lawyers. I don't even have any certifications or (computer-touching related) degrees, I mostly just learned things as I needed (or wanted) to learn them on my own. I was extremely bored resetting passwords and would frequently go way beyond what my job required. Essentially anything more complicated than a password reset was supposed to get escalated, and I never did. I'd find obscure bugs and report them to the developers, and poo poo like that.

After the six-month contract period I applied to be an FTE, and my boss suggested I apply for another position in another department entirely, way beyond my qualifications. It was a much higher-level application support role. It was awesome because I frequently had plenty of time to research issues and learn stuff, like how to write SQL queries. That put me on the track to eventually doing devops work now.

Unfortunately that password resetting job has since been outsourced overseas so no one else can work their way up like I did.

Good luck!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

What do you need to get into devops? Any certs etc.?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

You probably do, but I can't recommend any because I don't have any. I should probably get one in case I get laid off or something.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I've done an autism today I think, and mentioned some obscure fuckers and now they think I agree with all of their poo poo. I really don't

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

You probably do, but I can't recommend any because I don't have any. I should probably get one in case I get laid off or something.

you probably won't need one if you have real experience - I don't think anyone pays attention to certificates on resumes unless they're looking for something super specific like PCI DSS

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
No matter how many times I make a phone call or run a meeting my brain still tries to stop me from doing it and fuckin ahhh I don't want to have to decompress from using my normie-mode

Jobs are rear end

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
gently caress phone calls

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

get a nice ring tone and ignore them

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

yep

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rklYjgzV6Wc

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Megamissen posted:

get a nice ring tone and ignore them

i needed paperwork from my bank and i reluctantly called them and they were like "oh you know the website? it's right in the top bar menu, you push a button and it downloads the pdf for you" and i felt dumb and mad i made a call for no reason

edit: it was weird paperwork not like "my statement" or "my tax paperwork"

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i have no idea why phone calls annoy me. i can deal but also i try to arrange things so i never have to call or be called by anyone

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I want to build a vermiponics system so bad rn

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i want to build a shelf so i can stare at the warhammer figures i paint but do not play with because i am the worst tactician ever

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

look at this poo poo goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5caoQ_EEuY

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1739510604858294477

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Chemical touching ftw

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I loving love worm farms. Just going out every morning and getting a fresh glass of worm juice.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I loving love worm farms. Just going out every morning and getting a fresh glass of worm juice.

hell yeah i wanna combine it with hydroponics

scheduled an appointment with my pcp in the hopes of getting the right brain juice supplements

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://x.com/HardDriveMag/status/1743293549179994454?s=20

010524_8
Jan 6, 2024

tokin opposition posted:

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

tread carefully...

sorry to be dense here but is this a polite warning to be careful about asking for this kind of advice or is this a "cool your jets" thing with that kind of sarcasm/snark?

I was throwing on some self-deprecation about my own post, not trying to belittle anyone :ohdear:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Oysters Autobio posted:

I was throwing on some self-deprecation about my own post, not trying to belittle anyone :ohdear:

then you're cool, I just won't tolerate any ableism in this thread because autists and adhders are god's favored children

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

A New Dad posted:

it's performance review time, where the explicit "it's not ok to be autistic" feedback that makes it pretty hard to not just see all neurotypicals as incorrigible bigots, hypocritically enough.

If you're diagnosed, you can request reasonable accommodations(assuming you're in the US).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

tokin opposition posted:

It's all fun and games until they team up with a rogue AI and take over your ship.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

lost thirty pounds as of today, thank god I went on my medication or I'd just be sitting around moping all the time

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

eatenmyeyes posted:

If you're diagnosed, you can request reasonable accommodations(assuming you're in the US).

Lol and, I cannot emphasize this enough, lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I was never a train autist but I respect it and understand it

https://twitter.com/the_lettuce_cat/status/1743357888590946602

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Trains are a safe space where you don't have to make any phone calls

Someone tries to call you? Straight to voicemail
"Sorry I can't talk right now I'm in a choo-choo (It's a genesis P42DC)"

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Jan 6, 2024

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

i think every autistic person i've ever met has been at the train museum and the fact that i was also there so often probably should've led me to consider that i might be autistic as well

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i really wish I could solve people because it feels like i only really ever get anybody to talk with if i act like a complete ditz or when I gently caress up and act like an rear end in a top hat

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

if you want really powerful autism vibes visit a telephone museum

did not meet a single neurotypical

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Obligatory theme song
https://youtu.be/hHkKJfcBXcw?si=bXxtkI2Jxh4e9M7n

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I was never a train autist but I respect it and understand it

https://twitter.com/the_lettuce_cat/status/1743357888590946602
i wish i could have a whole timetable memorized, that sounds bad rear end

no matter how much i like something, i hard time consciously remembering jack poo poo and couldn't recite a conversion dialogue, more than the chorus to a song, or ever recite a "story". my subconscious has reasonable memory where i have good recognition-if-i-see-it (aka excellent on multiple choice) but that's a different plane

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

then you're cool, I just won't tolerate any ableism in this thread because autists and adhders are god's favored children

if there's anything the old testament has to teach us it's that being god's favoured children actually sucks balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

if there's anything the old testament has to teach us it's that being god's favoured children actually sucks balls

yeah :(