Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, unless he saw something in Bryce that no one else did this year, he'd be looking at a roster with no QB, no offensive skill players worth a drat, no first round pick to fix either of these problems and a lovely owner with an itchy trigger finger. There's no way he's actually interested.

i actually think this makes it more intriguing for him tbh
if Harbaugh comes to Carolina and things improve (which will not take much!) he definitely gets 100% of the credit, and rightfully so
if he comes & things continue to suck he'll take none of the blame
either way he gets paid a fuckton to leave his alma mater, avoids dealing with any future sanctions, and given Tepper's propensity for firing coaches there's a non-zero chance he's a free agent within 2 seasons anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mega64 posted:

I feel like Vrabel is a younger Belicheck, for all the good and bad that means. The problem is I don't trust this guy with an offense, so I'm fine if he wants to go to New England.

A mix of both. Failing to rebuild the OL and trading away AJ Brown killed our offense, but Vrabel's assistant choices have been pretty underwhelming too. Arthur Smith was good for us, but who knows how much of that was just having that trio of Tannehill/Henry/Brown balling out and opening things up for the likes of Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith to actually do well.

I'd rather just hire an offensive minded HC

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

StupidSexyMothman posted:

if Harbaugh comes to Carolina and things improve (which will not take much!) he definitely gets 100% of the credit, and rightfully so
if he comes & things continue to suck he'll take none of the blame

I think this, along with Tepper's blank checks, is what makes our job appealing to any candidate, honestly. Come here for an absolute bag and either look like a football god or walk away a few years later, rich as hell and with everyone just going "lol Tepper." You can't really damage your reputation here, and you'll be compensated handsomely for your time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

I'd rather just hire an offensive minded HC

I may be a sicko, but I kinda want to give Mayo the job and... bring in Josh McDaniels to run the offense.

Sure Ben Johnson might be a better coach or whatever, but the defense is going to regress without Bill, but Mayo at least might be able to retain some of that, and McDaniels is a solid OC who will never, ever ever be considered for a HC gig again.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

I may be a sicko, but I kinda want to give Mayo the job and... bring in Josh McDaniels to run the offense.

Sure Ben Johnson might be a better coach or whatever, but the defense is going to regress without Bill, but Mayo at least might be able to retain some of that, and McDaniels is a solid OC who will never, ever ever be considered for a HC gig again.

What on earth makes you think Mayo would be a good DC let alone head coach??

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What on earth makes you think Mayo would be a good DC let alone head coach??

I mean the defense has been really good without all that much talent on it. Yeah, Bill and all, but Mayo was being groomed to take over allegedly, and I'd rather give Mayo the chance.

Also, I think whomever follows Bill is going to be completely doomed anyways so I'd rather it be his protege who at least may keep the vultures at bay for a whole season.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kalli posted:

You sickos just can’t quit him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kalli posted:

I mean the defense has been really good without all that much talent on it. Yeah, Bill and all, but Mayo was being groomed to take over allegedly, and I'd rather give Mayo the chance.

Also, I think whomever follows Bill is going to be completely doomed anyways so I'd rather it be his protege who at least may keep the vultures at bay for a whole season.

I think Mayo's smart enough to know he should stay as far away from that job as possible

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

indigi posted:

I think Mayo's smart enough to know he should stay as far away from that job as possible

Where are all the teams lining up to hire Mayo as their HC? That is the only job he's gonna get.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

No thanks. Give me one of the Shanahan nerds

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Nodoze posted:

No thanks. Give me one of the Shanahan nerds

Haven't all the Shanahan nerds been picked clean at this point? He has old guys in Wilks and Foerster as his senior lieutenants and I'm not sure you really want Klint Kubiak running the show.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

I think the Pats need to clean house entirely. Hiring Mayo as a replacement is a half measure. Not to mention he's going to struggle to field a competent staff when he has to compete with Belichick at his new gig for hires. Just how big of a pool do you think Mayo has to pull from? Look at how Brian Flores had problems in Miami.

Besides the smart thing for Mayo would be to go DC another team for a year or two and prove he has the bonafides without Bill standing behind him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pats President of Football ops Michael Lombardi.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Haven't all the Shanahan nerds been picked clean at this point? He has old guys in Wilks and Foerster as his senior lieutenants and I'm not sure you really want Klint Kubiak running the show.

Bobby Slowik

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Where are all the teams lining up to hire Mayo as their HC? That is the only job he's gonna get.

if he accepts it will certainly be the only HC job he ever gets

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

a neat cape posted:

Bobby Slowik

He's slow, icky, and bounces too much.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

indigi posted:

if he accepts it will certainly be the only HC job he ever gets

... He's 37. if he busts out, he'd most likely end up as a DC somewhere and build himself back up if he's got the chops and have another opportunity in his mid-40's.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nervous posted:

He's slow, icky, and bounces too much.
:golfclap:

Now tell all the teams that so they dont hire him away. I feel weird saying that because I'm a jags fan but CJS is just so much fun to watch I dont want him to have to deal with a revolving door of OCs if Slowik leaves and the new guy is bad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

... He's 37. if he busts out, he'd most likely end up as a DC somewhere and build himself back up if he's got the chops and have another opportunity in his mid-40's.

Pro if he fails as an HC the first time: he's from the Bill coaching tree, they basically get infinite chances
Con if he fails as an HC the first time: he's black, it's an 80-20 shot at him never getting another chance. And you only need to look at Bieniemy to see how hard it is to even get a shot at that "first time" chance

Tough to say which would prevail, the infinite chances or only chance/which does the league love more, people who hung out with Belichick, or lack of diversity in authority

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Remembering Romeo Crennel, two time interim head coach and owner of the record for oldest person to ever be the HC for a game.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kalli posted:

Remembering Romeo Crennel, two time interim head coach and owner of the record for oldest person to ever be the HC for a game.

First double digit win Browns Head Coach since Billy 5 aces too!

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Bieniemy is my favorite potential Panthers hire just for the stories and dynamics that come from it. Just two assholes desperate for a chance

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I doubt that Tepper wouldn't want a guy because he's hard headed. Tepper has the kind of arrogance where he absolutely wouldn't have the introspection to realise he's an rear end in a top hat. I'm sure he soundly believes hes a reasonable and good leader of men. He'd for sure think he can work with Harbaugh. It's just twitter bullshit.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Oh yeah Tepper interviews and articles about his career are hilarious for that exact reason. He's somehow lived his life without ever wondering am I the rear end in a top hat?

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 6, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tepper should really consider hiring Joe Barry. Perfect head coach for his project of leading Carolina to back to back 0 win seasons.

Well, I assume that's his aim based on how he acts

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
What I've liked about Vrabel is he's taken some really banged up defensive units and still had them playing meaningfully late in the season. That matters a lot, more than taking a shot on a potential offensive whiz kid who then doesn't know what they're doing (like Arthur Smith!), so I'd much rather we just have hire an offensive ccordinator who doesn't get into predictable gut run/gut run/pass on third and long cycles for once.

Nov 6, 2002

Vrabel is also one of the smartest game managers in the NFL.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Oh yeah Tepper interviews and articles about his career are hilarious for that exact reason. He's somehow lived his life without ever wondering am I the rear end in a top hat?

he's a finance guy from pittsburgh, when did he ever in his life have the opportunity to wonder that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kalli posted:

that's true. tons of black DCs get head coaching jobs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

indigi posted:

that's true. tons of black DCs get head coaching jobs

So your argument is he shouldn't take the Patriots head coaching job because... he's unlikely to get a HC job ever?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We made through another year of hot seat talk! Thanks to everyone who helped make this thread another fun ride, hopefully your new coaches will be better in 2024. And if they’re not, we’ll see you in this thread again in 2-3 years.

WEEK 18 UPDATE

COOL

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

There’s been some chatter about Vrabel planning his exit strategy (supposedly he doesn’t get along with the new GM ownership hand-picked for him), which seems plausible enough, but I don’t really buy the Patriots rumors. If he wants to bail on Tennessee to avoid a rebuild, why would he go somewhere that also doesn’t have a QB? It doesn’t pass the smell test to me, and just feels like people connecting dots because he used to play there.

I’m gonna table the Fat Mike discourse until we see what they do in the playoffs. Anything less than the NFCCG will be a disappointment, going one-and-done will be a disaster.

We can revisit Bowles if the Bucs somehow lose to the Panthers and blow the division, because woof if that happens.

MILD

Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles – Well. I guess we have to talk about this.

To be perfectly clear, I don’t believe Sirianni’s job is in danger in 2023, no matter what happens in the playoffs. Firing a guy after a Super Bowl appearance would be absurd and rather unprecedented. But the vibes in Philly are so rancid that I can’t really ignore it anymore. Even when they were 10-1, something felt “off” in that locker room, and now that they stopped winning the knives really came out. The Sean Desai/Matt Patricia situation looks like a season-ruining decision, and maybe we should’ve been more worried about the coordinator turnover, especially with Steichen excelling in Indy right now. Now there’s plenty of talent on this team, so we can’t rule out them making a deep playoff run and righting the ship somewhat. But the honeymoon is clearly over, and 2024 is already looking like a big crossroads year for this era of Eagles football.

Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears – The growing consensus now is that Eberflus is safe, but I’ll hold back on a full cooling until we get word from ownership. Either way, it’s a legitimately impressive turnaround for the Bears, who are 5-2 since early November and have a chance to knock the hated Packers out of the playoffs. Now the big question is what they do with the No. 1 pick and whether to keep building around Fields, who is due for his fifth-year option this spring.

Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints – Sounds like they’re planning to run this back, which, sure, whatever. Call me when this team gets interesting again.

Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons – Arthur Blank (and his well-placed media mouthpieces) have signaled that they could give Smith another year, and given Blank’s famous patience, that wouldn’t surprise me at this point. I just don’t see the on-field rationale for it. If they lose to the Saints that will be three straight years of 7-10, and they still don’t have a long-term QB. Where’s the progress? This entire tenure has felt like a giant waste of time for the organization. If Smith does come back I’m putting him on midseason firing watch next year, because he’s done nothing to earn my trust.

SPICY HOT

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots – It’s all over except for the “thanks for everything” press release. Now if you’re a gambling man then put a healthy chunk on the Patriots this Sunday, because I can’t think of a more perfect ending to the Belichick era than him getting to humiliate the Jets one last time.

Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders – Probably the last game of his coaching career and he has to start the QB he benched because Jacoby Brissett got hurt in practice. Not everybody gets a storybook ending, unfortunately.

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Antonio Pierce)

Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Chris Tabor)

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers (interim coach: Giff Smith)

BENNE’S OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS: SIX JOB OPENINGS

Raiders (I don’t think they keep Pierce)
Panthers
Chargers
Patriots
Commanders
Falcons

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kalli posted:

So your argument is he shouldn't take the Patriots head coaching job because... he's unlikely to get a HC job ever?

he isn't a DC right now. he should save up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Dennis Allen wins the super bowl I'd still want him fired (with a lovely parting package bonus)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sirianni should be fired and "he was carried last season by Steichen and an absurd DL rotation" isn't really an excuse to give him another year. he can't put together an offensive gameplan, he can't pick staff (Steichen was his only good coordinator hire), and he lost the locker room. what coaching job is he good at?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Saints could be interesting next year from a flaming car crash sort of way. Running it back with Allen will scream dead man walking with an aging defense getting even older. Allen will probably keep together a mostly respectable defensive showing before the wheels come off some time around mid-late season.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution had a poll for what to do with Arthur Smith, with three options: Fire, keep and keep only if he makes the playoffs.

They ran a story on the poll today, which was 74% to fire this morning. The poll was left open and by afternoon the fire percentage rose to 76%.

My only fear is that we somehow end up with somebody worse, a Reich or McDaniels. At least Carolina has the guarantee that whoever their permanent guy is, he's better than Reich. Atlanta still could somehow be more inept.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution had a poll for what to do with Arthur Smith, with three options: Fire, keep and keep only if he makes the playoffs.

They ran a story on the poll today, which was 74% to fire this morning. The poll was left open and by afternoon the fire percentage rose to 76%.

My only fear is that we somehow end up with somebody worse, a Reich or McDaniels. At least Carolina has the guarantee that whoever their permanent guy is, he's better than Reich. Atlanta still could somehow be more inept.

Atlanta and Carolina. Both longing for 2015, 2016 era teams :(

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Eh, I’d still take reich who has similar excuses/reasons as Bryce and took a mostly QBless colts teams to mostly playoff relevancy, over Smith who showed flashes as an OC wunderkind and then nothing. He’s an offensive Brandon Staley.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

Eh, I’d still take reich who has similar excuses/reasons as Bryce and took a mostly QBless colts teams to mostly playoff relevancy, over Smith who showed flashes as an OC wunderkind and then nothing. He’s an offensive Brandon Staley.

Reich is dumber than Matt Rhule was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Reich was lost in Indianapolis after Luck retired, and he was overmatched and clearly exhausted in Carolina. He might get an offensive coordinator position but I think his fire to be a head coach is gone.